PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit, I heard on the news just now...

Kerr
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM
This family got fined 2500 for illegally downloading music!

I use Limewire and eMule. I dunno about eMule, but Limewire (although it ain't %100 legit as you don't pay) isn't illegal, I've been told. Luckily, I don't download so much now apart from the odd song. I have used eMule to obtain full albums if I couldn't find them in the shops or if I was unsure whether it is good or not, or to get extremely rare songs, otherwise I normally buy albums.

Would I suffer these consequences? All my mates use Limewire too. I just wanted to make sure...

RXP
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-7-1643449-7,00.html

It's a fucking joke. We have to stop this shit. THis is a clear example of the legislature not legislating for the people but hte ones with the loudest voices. it's clear that all of us do not consider this stealing. But oh what does the law say about it? Fucking joke.

I advise you to use peer guardian. It stops record companies and their minions from looking at your shared files

http://methlabs.org/

Kerr
06-08-2005, 03:48 PM
RXP, you are a dude. Thank you.

I honestly don't see the big deal in music sharing... then again, I am not the manager of a record company. But we aren't living in a Big Brother state, for fucks sakes. I need an IP blocker. Cheers, RXP!

Kerr
06-08-2005, 03:51 PM
I've read the article. That's just very sad. Abd shit! :eek: Limewire is mentioned too!

Fucking hell, that PeerGuardian will come in handy :)

Oh, I don't actually share files, just download. I share the My Pictures folder and disable Partial Download Uploading (slows down our internet connection). But the Perr Guardian will still be useful.

It's just stupid though... what if you wanted to get hold of rare songs or songs only available on vinyls e.g. Offspring's Cocktail, if which I could only get hold of on eMule.

RXP
06-08-2005, 03:57 PM
It's a fucking joke. As I mentioned in the politics section they are taking our freedom. By holding intelectual properietary rights in the same esteem as property is fucking retarded. You cannot easy clone property with having no harm to the original owner. It is not theft. We have to get our legialture to change the law for us. Cause afterall we are meant to live in a representive democracy. We must fight!

RXP
06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Also Kerr pass the link onto anyone you know who uses P2P

Kerr
06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
It's a fucking joke. As I mentioned in the politics section they are taking our freedom. By holding intelectual properietary rights in the same esteem as property is fucking retarded. You cannot easy clone property with having no harm to the original owner. It is not theft. We have to get our legialture to change the law for us. Cause afterall we are meant to live in a representive democracy. We must fight!
I concur. It is the crappy government Britain is put under rule.

Kerr
06-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Also Kerr pass the link onto anyone you know who uses P2P
Yes, OK, I will do that, or even e-mail them the program (I have downloaded it)

Noodles is gay
06-08-2005, 04:02 PM
All I can say is George Orwell is being proved right. That's sad.

ashtray_girl_1
06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
anyone knows if winmix is 100% legal? :confused:

RXP
06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
It's got noting to do if the software is legal. Just download peer guardian and feel safer.

Noodles is gay
06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Alas, if only people would realize that we can beat the record companies! If evenone in England was to boycott the music industry, by not buying a single music track, for one week they'd soon learn.

Trip Boy
06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
If you have limewire, and download then burn the CD and delete all the songs. Will you still be found out?

Noodles is gay
06-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Noods, tis almost midnite at your place, quick, off to bed, you've school tomorrow!

Maria

I don't have to be there until 2pm - lovely lie in :p

Trip Boy: yes.

Lightning_Rod
06-08-2005, 04:53 PM
The moral of this story is dont download music I mean how is that helping your favourite band? Go out and buy it or protest if you feel you are being charged too much for CD's and stuff.

Matthew.

Noodles is gay
06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Then I was just a hindrance... *walks away dejectedly*

not at all. :)

*throws rock at retreating Frenchie's back.*

Noodles is gay
06-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, noods, tis just that tis now 1am & I'm still in front of a "welcome" page in that site... can't go further... I'm riled up... pfouh... been aeons really...

Maria

what site?

Noodles is gay
06-08-2005, 05:05 PM
ah yes, I remember...

hummm...good luck with that.

Later/

(you could practice the cheese game whilst you're waiting?)

Noodles is gay
06-08-2005, 05:08 PM
nighty night - personally, I hate reading online; I far prefer to be actually holding the book rather than hunched in front of a computer screen.

Plus Amazon have books from as little as 1p so I usually just buy what I want to read (and no, I do not get paid for saying that).this (http://www.dur.ac.uk/Classics/histos/1999/moles.html#s9) is very interesting though - I'm currently about halfway through; very interesting indeed.

JohnnyNemesis
06-08-2005, 05:09 PM
nighty night - personally, I hate reading online; I far prefer to be actually holding the book rather than hunched in front of a computer screen

I'm the same way; sitting at the comp reading is just plain annoying and uncomfortable. Besides, as sad as this may seem, I like having a connection with what I read, and the physical quality of a book adds to that!

RXP
06-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Re: reading on computers.

totalyl agree. It's gay. but nonehteless when you're oding research a e book is far better. You can actually interogate it and print off only what you need and save a fortune.

RXP
06-08-2005, 05:24 PM
I can't believe people waste their time writing about classics. It's like writinga whole paper on the final series of Buffy or something. It's a freakin hobby. Do a real course!

Skate Rat 19
06-08-2005, 05:27 PM
well the reason limewire is legal is because it doesn't give you the music it shows you people who are willing to give it out for free, which if you have it, is why it always says 'searching for host' when you try to download.

DirtyMagical
06-08-2005, 06:08 PM
It's all about where you live. I don't think any file sharing software is legal in US, but in Canada, downloading music was refused to be seen as illigal.

0r4ng3
06-08-2005, 07:20 PM
well the reason limewire is legal is because it doesn't give you the music it shows you people who are willing to give it out for free, which if you have it, is why it always says 'searching for host' when you try to download.
Yes, someone explained this to me once. If it's a network of peers sharing files, it's legal, but if all the files come from a central supercomputer (and it's free), then it's illegal.

It's all about where you live. I don't think any file sharing software is legal in US, but in Canada, downloading music was refused to be seen as illigal.
Lucky Canadians.

HornyPope
06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
I read I read the news today oh, boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh

Sin Studly
06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
The moral of this story is dont download music I mean how is that helping your favourite band?

Yeah, they deserve the best champagne to fill their olympic-size swimming pools with.