PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Died Of DVT

Noodles is gay
06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Ok, here's one for all you Christians out there:

"DID JESUS DIE FROM DVT?
A new theory has emerged that Jesus was one of the earliest victims of deep vein thrombosis.

The potentially fatal condition, also known as pulmonary embolism, has become associated with long-distance flights as people's immobility in aeroplanes can cause blood clots.

But an Israeli professor says Jesus may have died from a blood clot which reached his lungs, challenging the popular conception that he died of blood loss during his crucifixion.

Professor Benjamin Brenner, a doctor at the Rambam Medical Centre in the Israeli port city of Haifa, put forward his theory in the Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.

He wrote: "It is known that the common cause of death in the setting of multiple trauma, immobilisation and dehydration is pulmonary embolism.

"This fits well with Jesus' condition and actually was in all likelihood the major cause of death of crucified victims."

A pulmonary embolism is caused when a blood clot develops in deep leg veins and then moves up to the lungs, causing an acute shortness of breath and chest pains.

Professor Brenner based his understanding of Jesus' condition at the time of his death on a previous work published nearly 20 years ago in the Journal of American Medical Association.

The paper found that before his crucifixion Jesus went 12 hours without food or water, was under emotional stress, was beaten and forced to walk to the crucifixion site carrying a heavy cross part of the way.

That article found that Jesus died suddenly on the cross only three to six hours after the start of the crucifixion, and concluded it was from blood loss.

A co-author of the earlier paper dismissed the new claims.

Dr William Edwards said : "Jesus was on the cross for only six hours. It seems unlikely a large deep leg vein thrombus could develop and cause fatal pulmonary embolisation in that short time.""

Taken from: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13367193,00.html

Well, I thought that was pretty interesting. Thoughts?

Endymion
06-09-2005, 10:26 AM
my money is still on spontaneous combustion.

wheelchairman
06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Asphyxiation was the cause of death among crucified people. Being hung up by holes in your hands, had a tendency to make it hard to breath.

At least that's one theory.

When the Romans took him down though, they punctured his long letting blood and other fluids to pour out. Apparently this was a common affliction to the crucified.

Either way, it's quite irrelevant.

Preecey
06-09-2005, 10:41 AM
I hardly think cause of death is the point the bible were trying to get across...but it is interesting all the same.
________
Washington Medical Marijuana (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

IdiotOfTheDay
06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
My old social studies teacher will HATE THAT. Stupid super-Christian...she's the kind of teacher that you can get A's on all your work and still get a B. Plus she was dissing Buddhism. Anyone have any ideas to kill her?

Preecey
06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Many ways. The most popular one is to douse her in petrol and push her into a volcano. I have a RE techer just the same.
________
California Dispensaries (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

leo3375
06-09-2005, 06:00 PM
While scientific research into the life of Christ is fascinating, it cannot deter the most fundamental core of Christianity: Christ died on the cross and rose three days later. Exactly how he died on the cross is irrelevent to that core belief.

Sinister
06-09-2005, 06:11 PM
the way someone dies doesnt matter. death (and undeath sometimes) is what matters.

also, if you want my opinion, jesus' corpse was found and raised again by a necromancer. thats all.

Revolver-2005?
06-09-2005, 06:33 PM
hes dead...who cares

wheelchairman
06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
hes dead...who cares
This question is so stupid it makes me want to implode.

darko
06-10-2005, 01:14 PM
i'll put that to my religous mother and see what happens.....

CaptainStanky
06-29-2005, 11:47 AM
It doesnt matter, jesus is dead so stop praising god...O wait...

Flexing Wings
06-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Don't know... but Darko I LOVE YOUR AVATAR... Tank Girl rules. :D

silver_maiden
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
As some criticized punk rock group sings, I only believe in the Jesus of Suburbia...

Little_Miss_1565
06-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey wow, that's great. But can someone please explain to me why anyone gives a fuck precisely how a man who died 2000 years ago died? Even if it was DVT, it's not like that conclusion in any way, shape, or form offers any new information or insight, since he would have developed DVT as a result of being nailed to a fucking cross.

0r4ng3
06-29-2005, 06:10 PM
As some criticized punk rock group sings, I only believe in the Jesus of Suburbia...
We've got the American Jesus, see him on the interstate...

Sorry, but it's a much better song.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey wow, that's great. But can someone please explain to me why anyone gives a fuck precisely how a man who died 2000 years ago died? Even if it was DVT, it's not like that conclusion in any way, shape, or form offers any new information or insight, since he would have developed DVT as a result of being nailed to a fucking cross.

This is a good point. With all the unanswered questions relating to religion, why are people so interested about how he died? If you're a believer, he died, and then rose again. Generally the emphasis is on the "rose again" part. Tell us how he did THAT and I'll be impressed.

lost_nvrfound
06-29-2005, 06:46 PM
he may not have been dead at all in the first place... he could have just been in shock or a coma or something...they wouldn't have known that he was still alive...way back when, people were mistaken for dead fairly often... haven't you heard about when, i forget why, all the caskets in a graveyard had to be moved and when they opened some of the caskets, there were claw marks from where some of the people had woken up from a coma or other state, only to find themselves in a casket six feet below the surface... after that horrific discovery, they started running a line down to the caskets with a bell attatched on the surface, so that if anyone were buried alive, they could ring the bell so people would know they were alive and could save them... it was fairly effective...

silver_maiden
06-30-2005, 04:55 AM
We've got the American Jesus, see him on the interstate...

Sorry, but it's a much better song.

Ok, it's also a good song...

Little_Miss_1565
06-30-2005, 06:22 AM
he may not have been dead at all in the first place... he could have just been in shock or a coma or something...they wouldn't have known that he was still alive...way back when, people were mistaken for dead fairly often... haven't you heard about when, i forget why, all the caskets in a graveyard had to be moved and when they opened some of the caskets, there were claw marks from where some of the people had woken up from a coma or other state, only to find themselves in a casket six feet below the surface... after that horrific discovery, they started running a line down to the caskets with a bell attatched on the surface, so that if anyone were buried alive, they could ring the bell so people would know they were alive and could save them... it was fairly effective...

Except that DVT definately does not cause people to go into comas. And even if he was only unconscious, he would have been dead dead dead after one or two days sealed up in that cave.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Check for scratch marks on the boulder.

0r4ng3
06-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Ok, it's also a good song...
No, not good. Much better.

ShadowPyro
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
No, not good. Much better.
We've got the American Jesus, He helped build the presidents estate.....

This is a good point. With all the unanswered questions relating to religion, why are people so interested about how he died? If you're a believer, he died, and then rose again. Generally the emphasis is on the "rose again" part. Tell us how he did THAT and I'll be impressed.
Much better then I could have phrased it.

leo3375
06-30-2005, 10:19 AM

There is a theory that the soldier who held the soaked rag to Jesus' lips actually gave him an elixir that would make him appear to be dead, putting him in a deep sleep for about 4872 hours. Upon waking up in the cave, he managed to push the boulder aside and leave. Keep in mind it's only a theory.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-30-2005, 10:42 AM
How would he move such a big boulder?

0r4ng3
06-30-2005, 01:50 PM
How would he move such a big boulder?
Uhh, because he's Jesus?

Yeah, I don't know.

lost_nvrfound
06-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Except that DVT definately does not cause people to go into comas.
i was thinking along the lines of he didn't have DVT...

And even if he was only unconscious, he would have been dead dead dead after one or two days sealed up in that cave.
not necessarily...

Little_Miss_1565
06-30-2005, 07:46 PM
i was thinking along the lines of he didn't have DVT...

not necessarily...

People who get buried alive die because of it...

Lithuanian Offspring
07-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Asphyxiation was the cause of death among crucified people. Being hung up by holes in your hands, had a tendency to make it hard to breath.

At least that's one theory.

When the Romans took him down though, they punctured his long letting blood and other fluids to pour out. Apparently this was a common affliction to the crucified.

Either way, it's quite irrelevant.
They did not take people down from the crosses. They simply punctured the side of a person and let the fluids drip out. Then they would burn the crosses. Well, at least thats what they did with the rest of the people.

Lithuanian Offspring
07-02-2005, 01:27 PM
They cut him in the side and all of fluid ran out. He could not have survived, even if he was in a coma.

ShadowPyro
07-02-2005, 01:44 PM
They did not take people down from the crosses. They simply punctured the side of a person and let the fluids drip out. Then they would burn the crosses. Well, at least thats what they did with the rest of the people.
Joesph asked if he could take down his body, and bury him. Thats what they tell us in Church.

Lithuanian Offspring
07-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Well, Jesus was the exception.

Noodles is gay
07-03-2005, 04:33 AM

The Romans didn't 'simply puncture the side of a person' although they may have done on occasion, not always. Usually they just left corpses to rot on the cross, and then leave them as carrion for birds.

(This practise does depend on where in the Roman empire we're talking about though - and also if the crosses were near a large city or not; but still, generally.)