PDA

View Full Version : Recalling the past by means of senses

the_GoDdEsS
06-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Two days ago I was cooking milk. Simple thing I havenít done in ages since Iím not really a fan of it. And all of a sudden the smell of it made my mind travel back to kindergarten, to the fact that we had milk every day and I hated it, to my first day there and all the new kids, to how I used to play with boys because girly games bored me, the one photo of me holding hands with two other kids, sleeping underneath the Christmas tree and the playground and then wondering what became of those people.

Smell and hearing are definitely the strongest for me. There are dozens of songs that remind me of an event or a period in my life. And sometimes itís so awesome when it takes you back to the good times.

Izie
06-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Smell is the strongest for me, hearing not that much.

I smell somehting, and I get the same feeling I used to have at a certain time in the past. Strangely enough, it's always good feelings and good memories. It's almost like a dream sometimes, I can almost see it and feel it and try to touch it, and it's just amazing and I love it. *sigh* And then I usually miss it.

But I love it either way *smile*

the_GoDdEsS
06-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Yeah, smell only brings back the pleasant ones to me. I kept this empty bottle of a perfume I used to wear when I was 15 on my first holiday in Italy. Just because whenever I smell that, I'm totally there.

Vera
06-11-2005, 02:58 AM
I think they're all pretty strong for me. Seeing my old kindergarten brings back memories but so does touching a fabric that feels like my dad's old couch, hearing a 1990's hit song and smelling a particular type of ice cream I ate a lot one summer.

Mota Boy
06-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. Unfortunately, my sense of smell is god-awful. However, certain songs often conjur up specific events or times in my life. In fact, in sometimes I'll play a song repeatedly in order to secrete a memory of a place or event away in my brain, so that I'm remembering mountains and parties instead of music videos.

JohnnyNemesis
06-11-2005, 07:37 AM
The smell of grass, if fresh enough, used to give me anxiety. It reminded me of waking up early and dreading school as a child and teenager. Smell is indeed the strongest sense tied to memory.

The smell of any Latino cooking, especially pork, reminds me of my grandmother. Burnt rice reminds me of my grandfather because he loved scraping the bottom of the pot and chewing on it.

The smell of New York City brick oven pizza IMMEDIATELY conjures up memories of Street Fighter 2. I spent so much time in pizza arcades playing that game as a young'n.

Bah, I'm so nostalgic.

Charmedinlife
06-11-2005, 09:39 AM
i have this deodrant, and the smell depresses me, cos it's the one i wore when i went out with my ex-boyfriend a few months ago. :(

Betty
06-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Honestly I have nothing to add. Everybody said it. Smell and songs. A couple songs I think actually remind me of my oldest memories my brain actually contains, I can't even place a time on them. And I don't even know if they're true, but I assume I didn't just make them up.

killer_queen
06-11-2005, 10:55 AM
everytime i smell peach and hear metallica's damn song nothing else matters, i remember the boy who i kinda liked a few years ago. i don't like feeling like this because knowing that i can't go back to those days makes me feel unhappy.

Isolated Fury
06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
My strongest would definitely have to be hearing. Every time I hear certain words, I take a few seconds and just think of those key moments that they are related to. But for some reason, they are all odd words. Such words include "underdog", "twinkie", "Lakeview", "beef stew", and so many more.

the_GoDdEsS
06-11-2005, 11:29 AM
I was wondering why words but yeah, they're odd so probably that's why. Definitely something interesting.

Ricky, you reminded me that the weather or certain seasons of the year make me remember things too. Any time around September when the weather's starting to cool off I get the feeling that school time starts and I gotta wake up real early. Except it doesn't.

RXP
06-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Hmmm. All my sesnes are tied to memories. If I see or hear something it takes me back to the time I saw/hear it more than than smell I think.

0r4ng3
06-11-2005, 07:19 PM
My strongest would definitely have to be hearing. Every time I hear certain words, I take a few seconds and just think of those key moments that they are related to. But for some reason, they are all odd words. Such words include "underdog", "twinkie", "Lakeview", "beef stew", and so many more.
Perhaps the words are related to songs that you remember...

Lakeview = Longview
Beef Stew = Brain Stew

I don't know about the other two, but I noticed these. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Camilamazed
06-11-2005, 07:25 PM
That's rather funny.. I was thinking about something similar to what Simmy said yesterday..Because of it I've written an essay talking about every song I listen to and remember specific friends and moments in my life.. I even mentioned that Simmy made me remind me of my childhood when she brought up Sinnead O'cornor in that other thread...... :D

thisplacesucks
06-11-2005, 07:26 PM
system!!!!!
wow that was wierd
mine is smell.........
all ofthe old moments

vanilla-ex
rain-east coast
bell ding-childhood

JohnnyNemesis
06-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Ricky, you reminded me that the weather or certain seasons of the year make me remember things too. Any time around September when the weather's starting to cool off I get the feeling that school time starts and I gotta wake up real early. Except it doesn't.

It's really cool that you not only remember a certain time, but that your body reacts to the smell in a sense! You know you have to, or should, wake up as a result of your smell...I find that interesting because I'm weird like that!

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-12-2005, 08:31 AM
-Sigh- I wish I could smell and have memories. All my life I've had almost no sense of smell. :(

Occasionally taste sets me off though.

Inshane
06-12-2005, 10:52 AM
a smell can be very confusing at times.

A month ago or so I was sitting in the train to go back home, guessing it was around eleven. I wasnt feeling that happy. I just hate sitting in a train on my own when its dark so you cant look outside. You can see lights, yes, but not when there are only trees next to the track and its hard to look beyond the reflection of your own face. It sucks. So suddenly this guy walked in, looking exactly like micheal pitt, so I started screaming like hell from the inside, I actually admitted to -myself- that he was hot, no one else to hystaricly scream at. He took the seat in front of me. And while I was looking at him (through the window ofcourse -im just looking outside- uchm) all these memories of me and my boyfriend started flashing infront of my eyes. I got confused, was I feeling guilty for admitting to myself that the guy was hot. I didnt get it but after a while I realized he had the same smell as my boyfriend, and that smell is so strongly printed into my head it can get me crazy.

Raf
06-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Ya I know how that is. I think mine are in order: visual, smell, and then hearing. But I am always reminensing into the past thinking about how things have changed. It makes me sad sometimes, but I enjoy it anyways.