PDA

View Full Version : a worried fan

DeadPool
10-21-2004, 05:48 PM
worried but not that much :D

well.. i was studying their songs for the show here at porto alegre and i realized that the band has changed a lot. ok, changes are normal for everything and mostly of then are good for the dynamic of their songs. but, this is different. look, see by your self

First CD - LAPD and Kill the president
Last CD - Hangover ever and Head Around You

cant you see?
ok.. i know.. maybe im a little bit drastic but, the old fans or, like me, the fans that are not old enough but like some "information" in the lyrics can notice that offspring is loosing his punk spirit and thats not good. at least at my point of view.

LAPD shows to you the cruel reality about the "pigs" (i dont know how you call the cops there, but here [brazil] we call pigs) that reach every city around the world.. each one who tries to changes something can feel it. well, thats is a very "usefull" song i think.. as kill the president, dont need more explanations :D
but nowadays, hangover ever.. cant get my head around you? what is this?
a read once a little text writted by dexter about their song hit that. ok, he said that all members have divorced parents and his lyrics talk about these family problems. this is very difficult make a music famous like hit that and still thus a "usefull" lyric. its a gift and i hope that dexter realize that.

sorry about english mistakes, but i MUST speak somewhere.

Tijs
10-21-2004, 05:57 PM
boooooring

GunForHire
10-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Ok, their style of music is changed, but you've gotta remember two things.

One - you can't keep going in the same direction forever. If the Offspring had stuck to the same sort of songs they wrote at the beginning, they'd be boring as hell. And probably no longer together. For a start I know I'd get bored of listening to 7 albums that are all the same as Ignition/The Offspring. Not only that, but as a band, you'd get bored just writing and playing the same sort of stuff.

Two - Bands take time to find their own style and sound. I've got all Bad Religion's records and listening to their first and their latest, you can notice the change straight away. It takes time to develop a sense of what kind of records you want to make, what kind of music you want to write, even how you're going to sing. All bands change over time, it's inevitable really, but it's not a bad thing either.

DeadPool
10-21-2004, 06:09 PM
as i said before, i know that changes happen.
but as i said before too, you can keep your own style through your life...
that i think is missing.. maybe influence from other "punk rock" bands , i dont know..

ill talk more later guys, right now ive something to finish...

and if you think its boring, fuck you motherfucker! i dont give a shit to you :D

Jebus
10-21-2004, 07:08 PM
and why is this in the politics section?

DeadPool
10-21-2004, 09:22 PM
cause i think that their lyrics were more politcal than anyrhing else.

wheelchairman
10-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Isn't the first track of their last CD called Neocons? I mean that has to be political in a way.

NoHopeNoFuture
10-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Dude punk isnt always about having political shit on it. Its about whatever you want it to be.But i must admit that some songs are just to dumb.

wheelchairman
10-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Its about whatever you want it to be.

I hate when Punks say that nowadays. It shows how disconnected they are from the punk movement. Punk is rebellion and don't you forget it.

Vera
10-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Punk is pink, fluffy bunnies and fizzy drinks to me!

I don't know, I wouldn't rag Dexter for not writing political songs anymore. I never saw Offspring as a terribly political band anyway. A majority of their songs are about relationships and not-so-political things like that. Plus, you know, I don't see Dexter as being very into politics. Noodles is, we've all seen that, but Dexter - not so. And they're not 20 anymore, so it's possible they're not feeling the "rebel against authority"-spirit anymore. I wouldn't blame them for that, either.

wheelchairman
10-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Well that begs the question as to whether the Offspring are punk or not? Either way they are a good band. sort of.

Vera
10-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Musically I'd call them punkrock.

(Please, no one use the "why must everything be labelled today?!"-argument. I don't give a shit. If I'd have to categorize the band's music, I'd put it under "punkrock", for the lack of a more fitting category. Period.)

DeadPool
10-22-2004, 12:56 PM
"it's possible they're not feeling the "rebel against authority"-spirit anymore."

i deeply hope not :(

i think they were punk, but nowadays, they are completely punkrock....

i just dont know if this is good or bad :confused:

GunForHire
10-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Who really cares though? Why must their music be "punk"? Hell I like tracks like Can't Get My Head Around You and No Brakes just as much as Terhan or LAPD.

I don't like a band because they're a "insert label here" band, I like a band if they make great music that makes me feel something, be it pissed off, happy, crazy, whatever. The Offspring don't have to make "punk" music just for me to like them.

SicN Twisted
10-22-2004, 06:21 PM
I'd label them as alternative pop-rock. They're just not punk rock. Their music is incredibly well produced and on the mark, their songs all have many different parts and even different tempos. There's just no DIY ethic that punks hail so proudly (despite the fact that it heavily inhibits their ability to make good music).

neocon58
10-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Ok, their style of music is changed, but you've gotta remember two things.

One - you can't keep going in the same direction forever. If the Offspring had stuck to the same sort of songs they wrote at the beginning, they'd be boring as hell. And probably no longer together. For a start I know I'd get bored of listening to 7 albums that are all the same as Ignition/The Offspring. Not only that, but as a band, you'd get bored just writing and playing the same sort of stuff.

Two - Bands take time to find their own style and sound. I've got all Bad Religion's records and listening to their first and their latest, you can notice the change straight away. It takes time to develop a sense of what kind of records you want to make, what kind of music you want to write, even how you're going to sing. All bands change over time, it's inevitable really, but it's not a bad thing either.

i agree with this guy 100%. if offspring did exactly the same shit album after album, id still be into dance music. (but i have hated dance (and most other genres) since i heard americana.

first time i heard offspring, i was like ok (pretty fly) this is cool. then i hear the album and i think i just about shit my pants. it was unlike any type of music i had ever heard before, and i loved it. but i like the different genres they play, it makes for an exciting album.

GunForHire
10-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Almost the same as me Neocon - I first heard the Offspring when i was like 11, and that was Pretty Fly. I got the album a few weeks after I heard it and loved it. In fact it was pretty much the first real album I'd bought. I'd liked some other music before then of course, but it was always stuff my older brothers played and so I never really listened to it myself. If you know what I mean.

Since then I've bought all 6 of their other albums and love them all. Can't wait for the next :D

NoHopeNoFuture
10-22-2004, 11:15 PM
I hate when Punks say that nowadays. It shows how disconnected they are from the punk movement. Punk is rebellion and don't you forget it.
Dude dont get me wrong its about rebellion and everything but it kinda gets boring when their too politcal you usually dont go anywhere as a band.So its always good to try different stuff out lyric wise.

moraes182
10-22-2004, 11:50 PM
To first time that I heard offspring was in 94 I was 8 old years, I always thought more in the offspring as a band of hardcore and not punk, I find that is until by that that I like of offspring by the sets to music that they do, and not by the movement punk, that did not I exist more today (I do not know there in the U.S.A., but here in Brazil punk that stayed him drugging us parks and do not they take bath)

(Sorry for my poor english)

arak0r
10-23-2004, 12:50 AM
I'd label them as alternative pop-rock. They're just not punk rock. Their music is incredibly well produced and on the mark, their songs all have many different parts and even different tempos. There's just no DIY ethic that punks hail so proudly (despite the fact that it heavily inhibits their ability to make good music).

hilariously true.

Moose
10-23-2004, 01:19 AM
ha thats funny because i want the offspring to evolve more and let loose...i want to let themselves go and i dont want to hear political lyrics, well at least specific ones, if anytihng from 2 view points or general, it gets annoying and sickening after a while. however, i want them to branch further into music, and i bet it would make 90 percent of you sick. ha!
________
DR-Z400S (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_DR-Z400S)

DeadPool
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Who really cares though? Why must their music be "punk"? Hell I like tracks like Can't Get My Head Around You and No Brakes just as much as Terhan or LAPD.

I don't like a band because they're a "insert label here" band, I like a band if they make great music that makes me feel something, be it pissed off, happy, crazy, whatever. The Offspring don't have to make "punk" music just for me to like them.

i dont care if they are punks, poppys or some another ridiculous label. but what i DO care is if they make their lyrics as they were used to do in their origins. man, it can means nothing for you, u can hate that called "punk" lyrics and just like the knowed teenager bullshit. but i DO. i care about the messange inside the music, its everythig that a music could be used for. but as i said, its MY opinion. if i dont agree with it, that's what u call freedom.

and for you guys that think "boring" that political stuff, fuck you :p
thats why i am worried, cause dexter was very good in make "boring political stuff" cool, and i think thats waste of a great singer.
ps: i dont give a shit for politics too, i hate those fanatics screeming for one man that they even dont know only for tradiction of their family without thinking or questioning, but when you watch the news of my country, you bacome worried. :(

wheelchairman
10-25-2004, 04:49 PM
You are a slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave.

GunForHire
10-25-2004, 06:13 PM
i dont care if they are punks, poppys or some another ridiculous label. but what i DO care is if they make their lyrics as they were used to do in their origins. man, it can means nothing for you, u can hate that called "punk" lyrics and just like the knowed teenager bullshit. but i DO. i care about the messange inside the music, its everythig that a music could be used for. but as i said, its MY opinion. if i dont agree with it, that's what u call freedom.

and for you guys that think "boring" that political stuff, fuck you :p
thats why i am worried, cause dexter was very good in make "boring political stuff" cool, and i think thats waste of a great singer.
ps: i dont give a shit for politics too, i hate those fanatics screeming for one man that they even dont know only for tradiction of their family without thinking or questioning, but when you watch the news of my country, you bacome worried. :(

For a start, I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't hate "punk" lyrics, when did I ever say that? And you're missing the point, that they'd just be re-writing the same old stuff. What they wrote on Splinter is what they wanted to write, not what one fan wanted. If they don't want to repeat themselves, they won't.

And me a slave? What? I don't undestand.

DeadPool
10-25-2004, 09:14 PM
For a start, I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't hate "punk" lyrics, when did I ever say that? And you're missing the point, that they'd just be re-writing the same old stuff. What they wrote on Splinter is what they wanted to write, not what one fan wanted. If they don't want to repeat themselves, they won't.

And me a slave? What? I don't undestand.

yeah, im re-writing the old stuff...

sorry for this confusion but i have some serious limitation in this language..

maybe when i have some time to develop my point i can remake this topic..

and i never said that you hate punk lyrics, i said that you can hate it, if you dont, good for you :)

Woodles42
10-25-2004, 10:23 PM

Ha, this fits so well with something I wrote while practicing my caligraphy back in grade ten that I found in my bedroom while I was cleaning it. I only found the first page, but the whole quote is "And whilst we talk about punk, a lot of the punk movement is just about drinking beer and throwing up." -Noodles

It can be viewed here:
http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=3982244&imageID=28026001&Mytoken=20041025212311

TheHulaChick
10-26-2004, 11:54 AM
The Offspring have changed it's a fact, but they're still awesome and nothins gonna change that. Geez, in 20 years people will change. The Offspring aren't angry teens anymore (angry isn't quite the right word, but u know what I mean) so they aren't gonna write angry teen songs. They're married, happy and they don't need to worry about money and stuff like that. Also now they're well known they don't have to write songs like Kill the president to have their opinions heard cause now they can voice there opinions in other ways like punkvoter.com or their web site. I think it's really cool that the Offspring have so many different styles of music in all their albums so now they appeal to a larger range of people and there's something for everybody to enjoy.

The Offspring actually changed me completly. I used to like pop music a lot and I saw the Pretty Fly video a couple times and I liked it but I never bought it. Then just a year or two ago I saw a cheap Americana CD and I was like hey Pretty Fly. So I bought it, LOVED IT! and went and bought all their albums, singles, merch and became a true Offspring fan (and I no longer like pop, well... maybe a tiny bit... ;) )

It wasn't their older controversial stuff that got me interested it was just that I love the sound of the Offspring, isn't that all that matters anyway?. If all the Offspring songs were like their first albums they would have a much smaller fan base, it would be boring and I probably would have never have heard of the Offspring at all.

Eeek!!! :eek: sudden thought of life without the Offspring! very scary.

Fallen.
10-28-2004, 05:49 AM
slightly worried at how many people got into offspring as a result of Pretty Fly.... i'm way cooler though, it was TKAA that did it for me :p

anyway, i think the man has a point here. The Offspring are still great, write some brilliant songs and I like the fact that they explore different types of musical styles.

I can handle different styles of music, as an extra. I guess it just comes down to wether people like songs like LAPD, TKAA, Amazed, etc or if they like Pretty Fly, Worst Hangover Ever etc. That might me looking at it a bit black and white, but it fits.

Me, I prefer the first type of song, Hit That i thought was a good balance between the "political" type songs and the songs made for single release.

But hey, like Ginger from the WIldhearts says : "no singles, no money, no tour, no new album, no nothing. its the nature of the beast"

ACAB
10-28-2004, 07:34 AM
well yea...i think fallen's got point there. i personally prefer old songs but if someone likes only the new stuff i think theyre missing out a lot,but thats none of my business after all.tho one thing i wonder when people say changing is necessary (sometime it is i guess) ,but its personal taste question to some people are the changes better or worse
...i like many political bands who have either changed/improved with their music style or not,but they've never gave up with lyrics that have something to say for real...the thing is...even the bands may not be as big as offspring,some are well known and theyve released always a new album and each one of them have their own strong fanbase
if someone wants to try something experimental,thats alright..everyone shall do whatever they want, and like whatever they want to.
but its really not like it was necessary for a band to conform along what mainstream musicbusiness is asking now and then to keep things going good,keep touring,having people buying records....
sure,it can bring more listeners who buy album for a hit song they heard on mtv (and possibly can just hate rest of the album)..some like both new and old, thats all good if it floats their boat,all new stuff aint bad.
its just taste question...and if thats what they want to do its ok..i just miss the old offspring,i think they had an attitude back in then...but yea...not that i mean to slag off anyone,i just thought to point out changes arent necessarey vital..but if they enjoy it,yea why not. :)

Fallen.
10-29-2004, 03:49 AM
you're a bit more tolerant than me ACAB, kudos to you :p

i can put up with the single songs (you know, Pretty Fly, etc) because even though i don't like them as much, they serve a purpose.

the worst thing is that Pretty Fly is the song they will be most famous for and remembered by and the main reason it struck big is cause it was catchy. worse still is that its actually a good song! it could easily fall into the "political" kind of song, its a comment on people and society, etc.

i think maybe what the problem is that its not like Offspring "sold out" and play shitty pop music. i dont agree with this "punkrock" stuff, they're still a punk band, but more laid back and open minded these days. the problem might be that some fans (me included) are getting worried that not only are a lot of new fans buying albums for the wrong reasons but sometimes it seems like the band are making these songs for the wrong reasons.

GunForHire
10-29-2004, 09:30 AM
i think maybe what the problem is that its not like Offspring "sold out" and play shitty pop music. i dont agree with this "punkrock" stuff, they're still a punk band, but more laid back and open minded these days. the problem might be that some fans (me included) are getting worried that not only are a lot of new fans buying albums for the wrong reasons but sometimes it seems like the band are making these songs for the wrong reasons.

Are you referring to the Offspring when you say the band are making these for the wrong reasons? As for them being most remembered for Pretty Fly, you never know, their next album could have something on it that could be just as successful but still considered to be more "punk". The problem with the music industry today is that only pop kind of songs are really successful, and even though this was the case when Pretty Fly was released, it wasn't to such an extent I think. It would be much harder for them now to release a song that would surpass Pretty Fly without making it really pop, but it isn't impossible.

YoUnG_MuSiC_PuNk
11-16-2004, 09:33 PM
i hate this, why must they be labeled. i mean come on. they are still good and you know i like that they change there music and that its all different kinds. i mean that way you can listen to the cd no matter how you feel. yes some songs are dumb but when your in a happy or crazy mood those songs just might be the best thing. i did that song " worst hangover ever" for a talent show at my school except i sang it by myself and i won first place of course i had my friends dancing behind me ( they still hate me for making them do it). i love the offspring. i first found out about them by the song hit that. yes its not one of there best but its still up there with the goodies. there is no bad song of them, there are way to fuckin kewl to be horrible. there are a variety band. which is better than having one cd full of nothing but loud screams and hatred filled lyrics ( yet somehow what i just said appeals to me about the loud screams and lyric :rolleyes: ) but its still good to have some fun variety:cool: