PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Olympic Highlights

RXP
06-13-2005, 04:05 AM
I realise that there is only one other person on the board who gives a fuck. But hey

I just saw the highlights to the tourney. IIRC it was the first time I ever saw hockey and I distinctly remember Fedorov from one game because his stride was just so awesome. BUt aynway.

I saw the semifinal game where Bure scored 5 goals. Oh my god I never got to see much of Bure bar goal clips but that guy is INSANELY fast. he makes Modano's and Fedorov's look average. 3 goals were breakaways and he absoultely flew after the puck. Shame his knee has given up :-(

I know I say this about todays eliete players but if Bure was around in the 80s there is no doubt in my mind he would have had 90 goals.

Also Shanahan's penality shot. wtf was he doing? He's a shooter, shoot the puck.

Gonna watch some more old games tonight.

asdf
07-12-2005, 02:19 PM
fag boy

undesiredhope17
07-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Also Shanahan's penality shot. wtf was he doing? He's a shooter, shoot the puck

hahaha, but now all he does is stand around the perimeter looking pretty...

and Bure is awesome, too bad his career was pretty much cut short by knee injuries.

RXP
07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Na. Shan's still a solid player. And when he drops them he's pretty much as good a fighter as the leagues best enforcers.

undesiredhope17
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Shanahan drop 'em more. Hopefully the year off for him, and others, will be helpful in the (hopefully) upcomming season

RXP
07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
He'll just be older, his back will be worse.

I'm looking foward to Datsyuk. Remember when he went on that insane points streak but got injuired? I'm pretty confident he can play in his streak mode for most of the season. Awesome player.

Also all this fuss over Ovechkin will be good to see. I can't wait for the season to start.

undesiredhope17
07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Datsyuk needs to be resigned first, and that may not be an easy task. If they suceed in opening up the game, I think Datsyuk will excell. I'm looking forward to seeing him and Zetterberg, who may also need to be resigned. I personally can't wait to see Ovechkin and Crosby next year, and its anyone's guess as to where Crosby will end up.

RXP
07-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Yah, the guy's apparantly meant to save the league according to some bull on TSN. I hope he ends up in a big market team so we actually get to see a rookie being important come playoff time.

Datsyuk and Z will be resigned. The wings aren't gonna let 'em go. Even with a Sal cap, I'm not so sure how it works out but I'm sure big earning stars won't drag up the quota to the cup, there's gotta be a way round it.

undesiredhope17
07-12-2005, 02:49 PM
The Wings are going to have to buy out a few players to fit under the cap to ensure the return of Dats and Z. I see Hatcher and Whitney as liely candidates. They also need someone that would resemble a starting goaltender. Even with them trying to close loophole, I'm sure some "capologist" for a team like Detroit or Colorado will find ways around it. The looming Free Agency period should yield some interesting results, but I'm itching to see some on ice action at the NHL level. I'm also anxious for the olympics coming up next year.

RXP
07-12-2005, 02:51 PM
I seriously do not understand how the cap will be enforced. Lids is on 10 mil. What's to say the Wings don't give him 8mil of that in another capacity. Make up some fake job for the organisation like "D coach", it fits under the cap because he's only $2mil offically for the on ice product. But 8 mil elsewhere. Teams have lawyers, lawyers ALWAYS find away round legal firewalls. ALWAYS.

undesiredhope17
07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
factoring in the rollback, Lids is now at something like $7.6 million. it looks like restructuring is going to be banned, so thats not an option. I'm sure they're drafting rules against this, but theoretically the Wings sign Khabibulin for cheap and then Mr. I gives him an endorsement contract for his pizza business, Little Caesars. Another idea floating around is the Wings can sign guys like Yzerman and Chelios at bargain prices and then offer them assloads of money for taking a position inside the organization when they retire.

RXP
07-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Yzerman doesn't deserve the big bucks now tho. He's gotta realise he isn't that useful to the team anymore and accept less bucks or retire. I personally think he should retire. He should have gone after 2002, retired a fucking hero. Wings fans usually see him thru rose tinted glasses. But if he demands big money now he's hurting our team.

Chelly's gonna be too old too. But I said that the last season, adn the season before, oh and the season before that too.

THey haven't even hammered out the CBA tho. Latest TSN news says it's not dotting the i's and crossing the t's but serious negotion. I just hope there is a season.

undesiredhope17
07-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Stevie Y is a sedimental favorate, but I agree, he should retire. Same with Chelios. The last time I remember Chelios being really effective was shutting down Bertuzzi a few years back.

Its hard to get a good read on whats really going on with the CBA, with so many rumors and conflicting reports as of late. I think there will be a season, both sides know they can't afford to let this drag on longer, but then again when has common sense dictated this process?

RXP
07-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Haha in that series Bert ABSOULTELY RAPED Chelly, but yeah he had the last laugh. I remember a compliation of hits of Bert on Chelly that ESPN showed from a single game. OMG he absoultely killed him. What a series tho. I have such fond memories from that cup run. So many good moments.

And I swear Bertuzzi juiced up. You don't go from 230lbs to 270lbs mid season and become a strength monster in the first game of that 2002 series he was coming down the right wing and he literally pushed Lidstrom out the way with his one arm. wtf.. Same with Rick Nash. I heard he went from 190-200 to 260. His stats say he's 206 tho so I dunno. But I heard that a while ago.

Anyway, hitting the sack now. We'll talk more hockey tommorow :-)

undesiredhope17
07-12-2005, 05:10 PM
I know, the cup run was awesome. Who can forget Patrick Roy's "Statue of Liberty" in game 6 :)

Bert is probably on steroids, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nash or any other monster sized players were. good night and it was awesome being able to discuss hockey with someone, especially with the lockout nearing its end