PDA

View Full Version : Dear Dr. Begin,

HornyPope
06-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Dear Dr. Begin

I report myself to your medical facility to experience insanity. It has recently occurred to me that I could be in fact suffering of certain mental ills and it’s important that I compare my symptoms with your authentic psychopaths before any decision of a kind is reached as to whether i'm one of them. Please understand that up until now I had always thought myself in full health and never sought a single therapeutic advice. But today I woke up to the thought of what if I’m really a mental patient in denial. What if I do need your help but denied it through so many years? Somewhere I lost the certainty of my health. I ask you to conduct me to the residence of the many persons after whom you watch over and allow me a short stay. I contemplate various discussions of different kinds with the said people—under your supervision if you hold to it—to see on what grounds can I relate to them. Shall I gather enough similarities between me and the opposite parties, I will consider the residence my temporary home. An alternative is to seek out medication—if available—to remedy my ills, and though I hardly envision living off pills as a better outcome than the present situation, I’ll succumb to your treatment if you and your colleagues judge it appropriate.
I promise to further explain you my goals once I step foot on the site for a chance to speak to you in private, but in the meantime allow me to offer a small glimpse of where I’m coming from: I believe that between evil and good, sane and insane, rationality and irrationality, the only worse condition is uncertainty of the either aforementioned states—the grey area if you will. It’s a problem only when you don’t know your camp. If you’re a sane person with a degree, a job and a family (the last three are merely stated for descriptive purposes, they are not to be taken as synonyms of sanity), you know your allegiance. You know the rules to follow—be a good citizen, be a good employee, be a good husband and a good dad. History wrote tons of volumes on how to be a good man. You’ve but to follow past examples. As far as insanity goes, it lays for a man a slightly more complicated, and a more unpredictable path but nevertheless all end goals agree that the thoughts and actions of a man were acted onto the same end. That’s who he is, after all. Insane. So it’s no wonder that all he undertakes will lead to and showcase this condition.
In other words: the sane follow one road; the insane—the other. But where does that leave the rest of us? How does one act when he’s teeter tattering between both? When he has no one tell him “you’re crazy” but can’t relate to the sane folks at the same while either? Until today I refused insanity on the grounds that I simply don’t consider myself to be insane. But not any longer. I’m resolved to find it out. As you may or not grasp the urgency of my case, doc, I must absolutely confirm where I stand before I abandon the struggle to fight the insanity off my mind.
I insist you see me within the briefest delay lest I’ll force your hand to accept me through a tragic event we both could live without. Tomorrow, 9AM. Your office.

Sincerely yours, a potential-but-unconfirmed psychopath.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Extremely thought-provoking. What was it?

HornyPope
06-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Not snubbing anyone, but forgive me if i don't give out any details before a certain audience gets the read in this (original) form of a text first.

EDIT: come to think of it, i dont wanna explain myself at any period of time. a discussion is welcome though, as long as you don't think you're doing my a favour by "supporting me" or anything.

nieh
06-13-2005, 06:49 PM
When he has no one tell him “you’re crazy” but can’t relate to the sane folks at the same while either?

Perhaps I should subject myself to the treatment of Dr. Begin as well?

Mota Boy
06-14-2005, 07:21 AM
I believe that between evil and good, sane and insane, rationality and irrationality, the only worse condition is uncertainty of the either aforementioned states—the grey area if you will. It’s a problem only when you don’t know your camp. If you’re a sane person with a degree, a job and a family (the last three are merely stated for descriptive purposes, they are not to be taken as synonyms of sanity), you know your allegiance. You know the rules to follow—be a good citizen, be a good employee, be a good husband and a good dad. History wrote tons of volumes on how to be a good man. You’ve but to follow past examples.
To counter with a quote, "Well behaved women rarely make history." Although it's seen as a feminist call to arms, I think it applies to humanity in general. History is volume upon volume of thinkers, fighters, rebels who weren't "good citizens". Good citizens are boring and rarely accomplish anything of note.

Also, I think a great mass of humanity falls between in the "grey area". Even the truly insane aren't insane all the time - it depends on medication and mood and age. Insanity essentially the inability to function in normal society, so in effect, normal society defines insanity. At some point, the outliers lie too far outside, but there is no clear-cut boundary. Even the exceedingly normal among us, those that most loudly declare their normalcy often are just overcompensating for their own perceived deviances in the manner of the self-loathing homosexual.