PDA

View Full Version : Reading?

AmieTripodi
06-14-2005, 04:36 AM
Since it seems that a number of us enjoy talking about politics and stuff (yeah, that's right, STUFF.....deal with it) and we've mentioned some books and the infamous "List o' Evil Literature" maybe we should all read a book at the same time and discuss it? Kinda like a reading group? I'd say mostly political stuff or some philosophy.....def not fiction though (if you want to go read fiction join Oprah's club) Maybe my inherent nerdiness is showing itself and I'm the only one.....feel free to laugh

Kerr
06-14-2005, 04:39 AM
I never read any philosophical books. I tend to prefer long Stephen King books as they last longer. I am not a big fan of reading though. I never normally do it - how I managed to pass my English Litertaure GCSE with an A, I do not know. The only really famous book I have read, though, has got to be Goerge Orwell's 1984. It is a good book, too.

Inshane
06-14-2005, 04:43 AM
nice idea.. but no.
I like to read what I want and when I want.

Vera
06-14-2005, 05:10 AM
Well, I'm for it, if

a) I can get the book in either Finnish or English (preferrably Finnish, because those kind of books tend to be really challenging vocabularywise)
b) the book subject interests me and
c) we have enough time to read it.

Like maybe set up a reasonable dead-line, say a month + a week of reading time? Depending on how long the book is, of course. And THEN we can discuss it properly.

One thing about online discussions is always that you never know how well people have studied a certain subject they're arguing about. Needless to say, if we read something by Marx than WCM as a communist will be more of an expert on the field - though in a biased way, if you don't mind me saying. But if we'd read something that's new to all of us reading, then it might really work.

Oh, and my suggestions for the book would be J.S. Mill's one or Alfred Kinsey's one from that list.

wheelchairman
06-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Were we to read a Marxist book I could give a little presentation and clear up any questions concerning the basics. Because reading a philosophical book out of context can be confusing and actually lead to large misunderstandings of the text.

I'd like to read The Green Book by Ghaddaffi.

Vera
06-14-2005, 08:31 AM
A variation of this idea is that everyone reads a different book and introduces the main ideas according to what they've read and discuss whether it's justified that it's on the list or not.