PDA

View Full Version : Driving age system

ASP
06-14-2005, 07:59 PM
I was wondering, what is the driving age structure in your area. Here in North Carolina, it is permit at 16, limited licence at 17, and full licence six months later. I'm sure it is different in other states and countries, so what is your system.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-14-2005, 08:01 PM
It's 17 for Provisional Licence here, though I've heard talk that they're going to increase it to 21 very soon.

Betty
06-14-2005, 08:13 PM
In Ontario...

16 can get your first license (G1) meaning you can drive but only with somebody with 5 years + experience, and not late at night, zero alcohol, etc.

12 months later or 8 if you take driving lessons you get your G2 which means you can pretty much do anything besides drive on some of the fancy highways. Still zero alcohol. Oh, and less demerit points, meaning you can lose your license easier.

12 months after that you can get your G which is full fledged license. I like that one cause I didn't have to be nervous after having a beer or two. So, potentially license by 17 and 8 months.

Unnatural Disaster
06-14-2005, 09:19 PM
In Georgia, you get your learner's permit at 15 years old, and your regular license at 16 years old.

For your learners you can drive anywhere between the hours of 6:00am and 12:00am (midnight) as long as there is a person in the car who is over 21 and has a driver's license.

For your regular license at 16, you can drive anywhere by yourself between the hours of 6:00am and midnight

For your regular license at 18 you have no restrictions

Gordie
06-14-2005, 09:45 PM
In British Columbia, Canada

L - Learners Lisence (class 7L), you get this at age 16, you must drive with someone of the age 25 or older, with a class 5 lisence, 1 other passenger, as many immediate family members. no alcohol, you cant drive between 12am, and 5am. this lasts 12 months, or 9 months with the approved Graduated Lisencing Program

N - Novice Lisence (class 7), you get this after you complete the class 7L, you are allowed to have one extra passenger, and you are allowed as many imediate family members aswell, still no alchohol, and you can drive anytime you want.

Class 5 - after 24 months of having your class 7, you can go for your class 5, this is a normal lisence, you can have as many passengers as your vehicle can carry(legally) and a maximum of 0.08% blood alcohol level or pretty much one beer.

the_GoDdEsS
06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
18 in Slovakia, just like in most European countries.

ThrashedThrasher
06-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Here in exciting fucking Washington State,

You get your permit 5 months after your 15th birthday (so I'd be getting mine in March of 2006) , You then get your actual driver's license when you're 16.

Camilamazed
06-14-2005, 10:31 PM
18 in Brazil.

neocon58
06-15-2005, 03:30 AM
AUSTRALIA>
go for learners permit at 16, which is a written test on give-ways and random multiple choice.

must be on learners for at least 6 months before you for for your provisionals, which you stay on for about 18 months, i believe.

I'm currently on my learners, second driving lesson tomorrow.

lost_nvrfound
06-15-2005, 09:10 PM
I was wondering, what is the driving age structure in your area. Here in North Carolina, it is permit at 16, limited licence at 17, and full licence six months later. I'm sure it is different in other states and countries, so what is your system.
you're wrong...

in NC:
- you can get your learner's permit at 15. supervised drivng by a person that has had their liscense for at least 5 years
- you can get your provisional at 16 or after 1 year. no more than 1 minor excluding imediate family without an adult whos had their liscense for at least 5 years
- you can get your full liscense after 6 months of having your provisional.

there are a lot of smaller details that i won't get into

Homar
06-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Wow... reading this thread makes me feel sorry for all them other areas....

lost_nvrfound
06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
...how so?

satitania
06-15-2005, 09:56 PM
take a theoretical test at 16, have a permit for either 8 months with driving lessons, or a year without driving lessons, at which point you do the practical test, then you have your probationary lisence, which becomes your real lisence fater another two years, no test necessary.

The Weird Kid
06-15-2005, 10:28 PM
where i live you get your learners permit at 16 you have to have a liscensed driver who is 21
then six months later you get your regular liscense (which i have had since May 3rd) :D

lost_nvrfound
06-15-2005, 10:51 PM
^^lucky... :(

EDIT: i still have 7months till i can get my provisional

Duracell
06-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Pimpin aint easy. I can't help it I was born a pimp.

Tizzalicious
06-16-2005, 04:32 AM
18 in Holland...there's no such thing as a permit, you can't drive with someone with a licence, you have to take (fuckin' expensive) proper lessons.

janissary
06-16-2005, 04:48 AM
In Turkey you can get your first license when you're 18...

->you have to take a driving lesson
->after that you have to pass both driving exams and written exams...

Then for 2 years you can drive with someone who has a license...
During the 2 year period if you repeat a crime (like speeding, red light...)
they'll cancel your license and you CANNOT take a license anymore...

Yatesy
06-16-2005, 06:23 AM
It's 17 for Provisional Licence here, though I've heard talk that they're going to increase it to 21 very soon.

I thought it was only going up too 18.

dirty_magic
06-16-2005, 08:37 AM

they wont be able to change it very easily because most driving companies and instructors get their money from people who have just turned 17, if they change it most will have 4 years with very little amounts of income. this will lead to increased pressures on the already stretched welfare system and could inadvertantly affect economic growth if there is increased imobility of labour!

rodney mullen
06-16-2005, 08:53 AM
In Georgia, you get your learner's permit at 15 years old, and your regular license at 16 years old.

For your learners you can drive anywhere between the hours of 6:00am and 12:00am (midnight) as long as there is a person in the car who is over 21 and has a driver's license.

For your regular license at 16, you can drive anywhere by yourself between the hours of 6:00am and midnight

For your regular license at 18 you have no restrictions

same as him

Kitten
06-16-2005, 09:00 AM
AUSTRALIA>
go for learners permit at 16, which is a written test on give-ways and random multiple choice.

must be on learners for at least 6 months before you for for your provisionals, which you stay on for about 18 months, i believe.

I'm currently on my learners, second driving lesson tomorrow.
You also have to drive a minimum of 50 hours, there was talk of increasing that to 100 hours on your learners.
There are two provisional classes, and I am not sure on those.
God I am glad I got my licence before they bought out all the extended crap.

Before it was Learners at 16, p-plates at 17 (as long as you passed the on road test) and full licence at 18.