PDA

View Full Version : UK top up fees Yes or No?

Mikey Matt
06-20-2005, 08:57 PM
If you are my age an in the UK you know what they are, if not here is the scope:

Universities will be able to charge what ever they want up to a certain cut off point, meaning people will be "priced out" of education. If someone has the grades, and wish to go to Oxford university, but not the money, due to top up fees, is this fair?

Should University be allowd to charge what they want to fund courses?
Do Top Up fees discriminate against people from poorer back grounds?

AND another point, before elected, Tony Blair promised not to introduce top-up fees. They're coming now. After all of the students that protested, they are still coming.

RXP
06-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Well we have to do something about the problem. And since it's tied into your earnings I don't see a problem with it.

I'd prefer a higher income tax on incomes over 100,000 tho. But hey, taxes are theft!!!

Preecey
06-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Bugger! I'm hoping to go to university as well!

Kerr
06-21-2005, 04:59 AM
^ Same here. I think all this tuition fees crap is just bollocks. Why did anyone re-elect Mr. Blair?! I'd kick him in the balls if I saw him cuz I wanna go uni, but I will be in debt. That will suck.

clokey43
06-21-2005, 05:01 AM
I dont agree with the top up fees. I dont think you should pay more or less jus because of your income thats not fair. Its descrimination! I recon each course should have a fee fair enuf i mean if u pass ur gonna get paid loads so u should pay something for the privilidge! Its typical of the government thou to try and take more money. As if they aint taking enuf?

The cost of courses is exactly the reason I wont be progressing into further education come september! :o

RXP
06-21-2005, 05:01 AM
If you're actually poor and not a middle calss whiner, you'll still get all your tution paid. So it's only the middle classes that ever whine about this shit. If you're poor you'll get 2,700 NON REPAYABLE grant Currently I get 4k but have to repay it.

So for hte pooer folk top up fees are good. It's just middle britain's propaganda has effected everyone. As usual they don't wanna pay for anything.

Mikey Matt
06-21-2005, 05:35 AM
If you're actually poor and not a middle calss whiner, you'll still get all your tution paid. So it's only the middle classes that ever whine about this shit. If you're poor you'll get 2,700 NON REPAYABLE grant Currently I get 4k but have to repay it.

So for hte pooer folk top up fees are good. It's just middle britain's propaganda has effected everyone. As usual they don't wanna pay for anything.

What wrong with being middle class?

Discrimination against somebody becuase of their background is no different to racism, sexism etc.

I dont see the differnence between people from various "class" backgrounds at all. I live and go to University with poor peolpe, and wealthy people, and you know what? They all still drink, get high, sware, smile, cry, bleed, have family problems just like everybody else.

Sin Studly
06-21-2005, 07:02 AM
The less British student wankers the better. Go get jobs as bricklayers and frycooks, you stupid uneducated limeys.

Just a Girl
06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
I wanna go uni, but I will be in debt. That will suck.

you'd have been in debt even if you'd avoided the top-up fees. most students are in debt when they leave uni already, without all this top-up fee nonsense.

Chris
06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
yeah half the fun is racking it up (while frivilously spending)

notoriousdoc
06-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Tuition fees teh suck, I say no more

Mikey Matt
06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
The less British student wankers the better. Go get jobs as bricklayers and frycooks, you stupid uneducated limeys.

Next time your in hospital, being treated, Wonder to your self what would have happened if everyone in the world was a brick layer, and there were no Doctors. When you have kids, and they need treatment, think the same.

Grow up Mr. Punk rock.

Noodles is gay
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm most certainly against top-up fees.

Although I can see that they're necessary because of the government refusing to fund universities properly. Oxford and Cambridge rival most of the far richer American universities; this would no longer be possible if there were no top-up fees. Basically; the government should fund universities properly and then there would be no need for these ridiculous fees.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that, had the Tories been elected in May, they would have abolished top-up fees.

Mikey Matt
06-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm most certainly against top-up fees.

Although I can see that they're necessary because of the government refusing to fund universities properly. Oxford and Cambridge rival most of the far richer American universities; this would no longer be possible if there were no top-up fees. Basically; the government should fund universities properly and then there would be no need for these ridiculous fees.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that, had the Tories been elected in May, they would have abolished top-up fees.

Do you really believe the Tories?

I've lost competely in the parties and can't find one I trust. I trust the Lib dems more than Labour and the Conservatives (I've been given no reason as of yet to distrust them) and my views are liberal, but I still dont trust them to run my country and keep promises.

Noodles is gay
06-22-2005, 12:47 PM
I have absolute faith in the Tories.

You 'trust' the lib dems? And you said yourself that you're middle class? They intended to absolutely obliterate the middle classes with ridiculous taxes!

I don't trust either Labour or the lib dems to run the country; look at the mess that Labour have made. The Tories have the best policies by far. Although, you're right, all politicians are liars.

Jesus
06-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Although, you're right, all politicians are liars.

Well duh, since everyone is a liar sometimes.

Anyway question, you said you had polish roots somewhere (I think). Are you a 2nd generation or 4th generation polish immigrant?

Noodles is gay
06-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Anyway question, you said you had polish roots somewhere (I think). Are you a 2nd generation or 4th generation polish immigrant?

And may I ask why first?

Jesus
06-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Since they are usually backwards (or conservative if you prefer that term) over here.

Noodles is gay
06-22-2005, 01:36 PM
That's pathetic.

But, nonetheless, I shall answer your question; I am not a 'Polish immigrant', I was born here, and to all intents and purposes I am English. Both sets of my grandparents are from Poland and were born there.

Jesus
06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
3rd generation then (well if your grandparents were the ones who moved to Britain ofcourse, if not, then 2nd generation), strange

Noodles is gay
06-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Why is that 'strange'?

It allows me to have Alexander's blood in my veins. :p

Preecey
06-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Although I know the Liberal Democrat Party has little experience, save that of 80 or so years ago, Charles Kennedy seems to be quite sound in his arguments.

I realise all parties have pros and cons, but the main thing about the Tory party is that they destroyed our economy in the eighties. Margaret Thatcher was by far the worst Prime Minister we have ever had. Having said that, the Tory's zero-tolerance on immigration has it's appeal, as well as the tuition fee debate.

I don't really think anyone here believes in Labour anymore, so I'll skip that one shall I?

RXP
06-22-2005, 01:45 PM
What wrong with being middle class?

Discrimination against somebody becuase of their background is no different to racism, sexism etc.

I dont see the differnence between people from various "class" backgrounds at all. I live and go to University with poor peolpe, and wealthy people, and you know what? They all still drink, get high, sware, smile, cry, bleed, have family problems just like everybody else.

It's completely different. The tax system is discriminatory against richer folk. That's not racist.

Preecey
06-22-2005, 01:48 PM
It's completely different. The tax system is discriminatory against richer folk. That's not racist.
Richer folk can afford it.

Jesus
06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Having said that, the Tory's zero-tolerance on immigration has it's appeal

Inbreeding to keep the masses dumb and ugly!

Preecey
06-22-2005, 01:54 PM
No- I'm totally against a multi-cultural society, because it causes conflict. Immigration is a major problem here. We have to change our ways to siut foreigners, too. Churches are becoming mosques, and the other day I heard that a crucifix was taken down from a church roof because it was deemed 'hostile' to muslims. Next they'll change the Union Jack.

Noodles is gay
06-22-2005, 02:04 PM
No- I'm totally against a multi-cultural society, because it causes conflict. Immigration is a major problem here. We have to change our ways to siut foreigners, too. Churches are becoming mosques, and the other day I heard that a crucifix was taken down from a church roof because it was deemed 'hostile' to muslims. Next they'll change the Union Jack.

They're thinking of taking the bible out of hospital too; in case it should offend another religion! ARGH! What is wrong with these people!

Seems that the only religion that it's ok to 'take the mick' out of is Christianity - did anyone hear about the wax figures of David and Victoria Beckham that were made of wax in imitation of Joseph and Mary? Absolutely ridiculous - had Mohammed been made there would have been absolute uproar. Good thing that Mr. Anstice had the courage to stand up to it (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4202821.stm).

It's despicable - integration doesn't work because 'certain' religions seem to only give a damn about themselves, they mistreat their women, carry out horrific acts of violence and seem to think that they're somewhat special! We can't touch them because it would be 'racist'.

Yes, this annoys me immensely.

Jesus
06-22-2005, 02:06 PM
No- I'm totally against a multi-cultural society, because it causes conflict.

So does freedom of speech, clothing, music, sexuality, parenting, etc. Ban ban ban, lets ban life! And ow yeah I suppose all you aryan Brits have the same culture, none at all I guess...

Immigration is a major problem here. We have to change our ways to siut foreigners, too.
Yeah the old days of occupation are almost over!

Churches are becoming mosques,
Atleast there are people in there...

Next they'll change the Union Jack.

Put a stella artois on it.

Jesus
06-22-2005, 02:11 PM
they mistreat their women, carry out horrific acts of violence and seem to think that they're somewhat special! We can't touch them

I'd like to call them men.

Preecey
06-22-2005, 02:12 PM
They're thinking of taking the bible out of hospital too; in case it should offend another religion! ARGH! What is wrong with these people!
Yeah, I heard of this too, but I don't think it's going to be put into effect.

Seems that the only religion that it's ok to 'take the mick' out of is Christianity - did anyone hear about the wax figures of David and Victoria Beckham that were made of wax in imitation of Joseph and Mary? Absolutely ridiculous - had Mohammed been made there would have been absolute uproar. Good thing that Mr. Anstice had the courage to stand up to it (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4202821.stm).
That's funny and commendable at the same time! Good for him.

It's despicable - integration doesn't work because 'certain' religions seem to only give a damn about themselves, they mistreat their women, carry out horrific acts of violence and seem to think that they're somewhat special!
Indeed. In the Middle East women are secluded and are, for the most part, kept from society as a whole. It is actually proven that the education of women reduces population rates, which are already spiralling out of control. Not to mention the moral factor, of course.

We can't touch them because it would be 'racist'.
Yes, this annoys me immensely.
You're not the only one. Something should be done, but I highly doubt a labour government is up to creating the 'respect' that it promised.

Noodles is gay
06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Yes, what he did was extremely admirable - I actually wrote him a letter commending him on his courage and morals.

Damn Labour...:mad:

Oh, I think that they will take the bibles out - they seem pretty serious about the whole issue.

Preecey
06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
So does freedom of speech, clothing, music, sexuality, parenting, etc. Ban ban ban, lets ban life! And ow yeah I suppose all you aryan Brits have the same culture, none at all I guess...

Yeah the old days of occupation are almost over!

Atleast there are people in there...

Put a stella artois on it.
Their culture clashes with ours frquently. remember the race riots? Come to Yorkshire. It's like that all the time.
What the fuck is this about occupation?
There are plenty of mosques anyhow, and changing the buildings causes unrest (believe me, I know).
Who ever said anything about Stella?
Last point: Shut the fuck up about that which you have no idea about.

Jesus
06-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Their culture clashes with ours frquently.

Oh noez! My culture clashes with conservatives all the time, deal with it.

What the fuck is this about occupation?

A westerner saying "We have to change our ways to siut foreigners, too." is so idiotic.

Last point: Shut the fuck up about that which you have no idea about.
Okilidokili!

Preecey
06-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Oh noez! My culture clashes with conservatives all the time, deal with it.

A westerner saying "We have to change our ways to siut foreigners, too." is so idiotic.

Okilidokili!
I never thought I'd have to argue morality issues with Jesus.
'Conservative' is not a culture. It is an idea. Plus, we have race issues all the time where I live, and in a few other places (notably Bradford).

Why should we have to change for other people? People with no talent are flooding the country, and they even speak a different language. Have you ever worked in a place where you have to be conscious of this all the time? It makes things so much more difficult- one of the main setbacks for a multicultural society.