PDA

View Full Version : I think it is starting to happen...

Kerr
06-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Under General Chat, a lot of people express their hate for the Offspring. They claim to have grown out of them, but still use the General Chat as they enjoy the boards.

I think it is starting to happen to me now - I am still a fan, but I have gotten very bored of their later stuff, and I FUCKING HATE WDYGAJ, it just sucks. I don't hate the Offspring, but I have gone off them quite a bit, and would rather listen to other bands. Maybe I just listened to them too much, but give me a few years and I probably will dislike them. Maybe not.

I expect 12 year olds to post in this thread to tell me what an asshole I am for disliking them. But once they hit 17, they might understand. I am strongly reconsidering whether or not to get the GH album, and I currently feel like not getting it at all. Who knows though, you might not grow out of them at all, and I don't mean to judge anyone.

But fucking hell, who here doesn't like them as much as they used to? I am the only one?

0r4ng3
06-22-2005, 06:18 AM
But fucking hell, who here doesn't like them as much as they used to? I am the only one?
Nope, sorry. Actually, I think I like The Offspring more than I used to, but I've only been a fan since 2002.

dexterisMYman
06-22-2005, 06:19 AM
well it hasnt happened 2 me......YET. i dont think it will tho. sucks 4 u tho.

gortesque
06-22-2005, 06:19 AM
i became a fan after i listened to CO1
not smash, not ignition, not ixnay.
and i'm not 12.

Jesus
06-22-2005, 06:26 AM
What the fuck, why don't you get a job is like what from end of 98/early 99 that's like 6-7 years old. You're quite late eh... or did you just get into them?

It's a good song to sing a long too, live (which is the only time I still hear it). When I sometimes listen to them it's mostly live stuff anyway or songs like nothing from something, lightning rod, etc (good songs they don't play live).
This said, I don't listen to them much anymore, why would I? I can't listen to the same records over and over again for like 10 years. Just every now and then, but I'm still stoked about new stuff (can't repeat is growing on me and on rotation on my winamp) and will go to their concerts every time they are around.
Same thing with most of the bands I listen too...

Most of the people in the general chat express their hatred to piss people off and the succeed in that, they're just fishing.

neocon58
06-22-2005, 06:26 AM
u asshole u r not a tru fan anywayz offspring dont want u as a truew fan coz u suck and they dont want you so go die lyk nowz.

*grins to self*

Whether you are still into a band after a certain amount of time is only personal preference. I'm almost 17, and while Offspring is still my favourite band, new and old stuff, I have recently started listening to other bands and other genres like instrumental rock and even a bit of emo/screamo.

Offspring got me into 'real' music, allbeit via a song like pretty fly, but the point is I'm now hooked on all their stuff, and despite only having 700 odd posts for over half a year i still feel like i come on here excessively.

Bottom line is that whether you get into/grow out of a band is ultimately down to the individual.

Cejus
06-22-2005, 06:40 AM
I started listening to the Offspring back in 1998, when they released Americana. They're my favourite band since then, and I don't get tired or bored of them. It's true that they haven't released new stuff since Splinter (2 years ago, if you don't count these 3 new songs for GH and PunkOrama), but I still enjoy listening to their old stuff, as well as watching some live videos of them.

Perhaps you've listened to them to much, Kerr. That happens to me when I listen other bands. I got bored from Korn, Slipknot and Evanescence, although I liked them a lot! After more than 7 years of listening to the Offspring, I should have been bored of them, too, but that hasn't happened yet.

I really hope they make a new album soon, people need fresh songs, or they'll get tired of hearing the same over and over again :(

EDIT: By the way, I'm 20, so I've been listening to them since I was 13 :rolleyes: And I hate some songs, too. I hate 'Feelings' and 'Leave it behind', but I still love the band. WDYGAJ is a poppy song, but it's funny :D

killer_queen
06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Not me, I've known the offspring for two years and I started to feel like a fan almost a year ago. I just love them more when I see their new stuffs. But I can understand you. Offspring's music is most likely for 12-16 year-old kids.

Sinister
06-22-2005, 06:55 AM
all I can say is I've developed other interests, and I dont like Offspring as much as I used too - but maybe thats because I've listened to their stuff too much and it ends up boring after a while. now I'm on a SOAD craze but its gonna go away and I'll be back to old classics - Gone Away & the like. but I DO think WDYGAJ is a boring song. WAY too pop-ish.

and btw, I'm 16.

The-Offspring-RuLe
06-22-2005, 07:10 AM
I've liked The Offspring since 1996/1997 and the aniticipation of the new albums and singles keep me going...i don't think i will stop liking Offspring, but for those who are going off them a little...just wait until the new album comes out next year...

ChaoX
06-22-2005, 07:30 AM
i've been a fan since i heard Americana when it came out... but the first album that i bought was Smash... sure that they have songs that suck (IMO).. but they also have great songs, and that's why I'm a big fan!

Italia311
06-22-2005, 07:35 AM
I've been a fan since 94. Just wanna say. I sorta had a time like that. Actually it was after smash came out. It took them 2 years to make a new cd. At the time I was like 14, so I thought they broke up and started listening to new music. then Ixnay came out. And I've never had that feeling again. Like the one guy said. I've been anticipating each album. They just keep poppin them out. In my oppinion. They should take another 2-3 yrs off. Sit down. And write some serious shit. No more novelty songs. Just sit down, take your time. And Write. Ixnay is probably one of my favorite cd's by them.

KickedDown
06-22-2005, 09:18 AM
I've been a fan since Smash, I was only nine years old when that album came out and that was the first CD I ever bought. I have loved them ever since. I will admit I may not like their newer stuff as much as Ignition or Ixnay, but they still kick ass.

BTW, I am 20 years old and I think that being condescending towards younger people about what music they like is just pretentious and stupid. I've like the Offspring for 11 years running and I don't consider them "kiddy music."

Kitten
06-22-2005, 09:29 AM
I went through a short period where I didn't like The Offspring, hell, at that stage I didn't like any music. But then I started listening to them again, and haven't stopped since. I have been a little disappointed with the choice for singles, but in the end, if you don't like the music on the radio, just put on a CD.
I see them when they come to Australia, and despite the fact that I have downloaded the new songs from the GH, I will still be buying the album. DVD dual disc or no extra stuff at all.

JohnnyNemesis
06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I can't wait for offspring kid to reply to this thread.

Piedude
06-22-2005, 09:35 AM
They should take another 2-3 yrs off. Sit down. And write some serious shit. No more novelty songs. Just sit down, take your time. And Write. Ixnay is probably one of my favorite cd's by them.

They do have big gaps between albums. If they took 2-3 more years off, they would loose plenty of fanbase and when they did come back everyone would be saying how old they are, so thats not a good idea.

They arent going to just write serious shit. Some of the fans love the novelty stuff, some of them love the serious stuff, and Dexter loves writing both of them, and he isnt going to stop writing different styles just to please one section of the audience, and they wont be happy if they cant have fun making some songs.

I do agree about Ixnay, which is my favorite Offspring CD, but that wasnt one they took years off to write and be ultra serious about, and it has its novelty songs too. When it didnt sell to good, they decided to try harder next time, and thats Americana.

zmajchek
06-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I started to listen to Offspring in '94, and I'm beginning to think I will never grow tired of them, and I'm 25 now... On every Album there are songs that I like a lot, and the others that I don't like that much. In my opinion Americana is their worst album, because there are fewer songs that I really like on it... However that doesn't mean that I dislike it. It even has one of my favourite songs on it... There were periods in my life I didn't listen to their records that much, and also periods in which I listened ONLY to their records... :p

What I like the most on Offspring songs, are lyrics, and then comes the music(I'm not musically educated so I can't point out what exactly, though I can say I like the drumming). Also Dexter has a pretty good voice I also like... And so what if they change a bit? :rolleyes:

Aimeht
06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Not happening to me. Of course I listen to loads of other bands and love their music too, but the Offspring will always be my no 1.

Preecey
06-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I hope this thing isn't contagious!
Nah, I've liked them since 1998 (although I didn't get an album until 2003 or something) and I have never got tired of them. Maybe after years of listening to them I might be, but hopefully that won't be for a long time.

Apathy
06-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I've liked them since I was three years old, about 1994. My love for them was kinda dying out due to lack of material in 2003, but then splinter came out and reignited the passion. Perfect timing.

rlplaymaker
06-22-2005, 10:25 AM
dude, im 17 right now, and ive been an offspring fan since ive been 11. I have every CD, i know every song, and the only album i didnt like too much was Ixnay. The best album was Americana. Each album they put out is better than the last it seems. sorry you dont think so. and not to piss you off or anything, but if you're not too big on the offspring anymore, why are you posting here still?
RLplaymaker

Fly White Guy
06-22-2005, 10:50 AM
I can't wait for offspring kid to reply to this thread.

IF YoU don"t lieyk tHE OfFs;ring, den there is someting wong wif yo head. Dey are da best band ar'und an not NE1 caN BEAT THem. OfFFSPrwing is dA besTESt!!@!@ Greatesst Hits foreva!!!!!!!!!!!!1

offspring_freak_3
06-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I started listening to the Offspring back in 1998, when they released Americana. They're my favourite band since then, and I don't get tired or bored of them. It's true that they haven't released new stuff since Splinter (2 years ago, if you don't count these 3 new songs for GH and PunkOrama), but I still enjoy listening to their old stuff, as well as watching some live videos of them.

Perhaps you've listened to them to much, Kerr. That happens to me when I listen other bands. I got bored from Korn, Slipknot and Evanescence, although I liked them a lot! After more than 7 years of listening to the Offspring, I should have been bored of them, too, but that hasn't happened yet.

I really hope they make a new album soon, people need fresh songs, or they'll get tired of hearing the same over and over again :(

EDIT: By the way, I'm 20, so I've been listening to them since I was 13 :rolleyes: And I hate some songs, too. I hate 'Feelings' and 'Leave it behind', but I still love the band. WDYGAJ is a poppy song, but it's funny :D

I agree with you
happens to me the same. i love the offspring. i listen since americana. im not hate any song, all the songs are good. i listen all the cds every single day. i not bored with the same things.

by the way, im 15, so i listening them since i was 8. :D
im not hate any song but have a couple of them that i dont listen too much

Zee
06-22-2005, 02:54 PM
When you have been a fan over ten years, you just suddenly don't decide "I don't like them anymore". I've liked them so many years now that they will always be a special band to me. Of course sometimes you listen to them a lot, then it's days, weeks when you don't. But when I put the Offspring playing again, I notice why they are the number one band to me, always will be. Their shows are the best on this earth, so much live stuff to listen to, plenty of albums... I can't grow out of them. Once I've liked their songs, I suddenly just don't hate them like I said.

coke_a_holic
06-22-2005, 03:00 PM
I have to say, I find myself liking them less and less. I find myself liking older music a lot more than I used to. My favorite 3 bands has switched from Offspring, Green Day, and System of a Down, to The Clash, Led Zeppelin, and the Dead Kennedys. It all has to do with how long you've been listening to the bands. I mean, sure, I still LIKE Offspring, but I'm not as obsessed as I used to be. I know there are people who've been listening to some bands for years, but those bands were probably influential. Offspring has influenced 0 bands. They aren't some huge senstation, they're influenced by the bands I listed. I don't know, it's all taste.

Jinger Joe
06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
compared to the length of my life, i have been a fan for quite a while and im not goin off them.yes I AM 12, but ive bin a fan for 7 years

beautifulnightmare
06-22-2005, 03:14 PM
i've loved them for about 8 or 9 years and so far i still love them as much as i used too.and i hope i won't start hating them or whatnot

Cejus
06-22-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know, it's all taste.
That's the most important point! :) It all depends on the tastes of everyone. You know, the thought remains the same (http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1135562/a/Thought+Remains+The+Same.htm) (hehe, I HAD to do this, sorry), but the tastes don't use to be the same as they were some years ago.

So, Kerr, perhaps you've just started listening to new music, and you've just realised that this new music is better than the Offspring. Perhaps you hadn't listened to this music before, so you thought the Offspring were the best band ever. I've read some of your posts where you say that you're liking Metallica. Could it be that you're more into metal right now?

Just to give you an example of what I mean: Some years ago, when I was 14-17, I only listened to punk and metal. I hated every other thing, hated pop, r&b, dance... But I believe I've grown older, and now I've started to like other music genres as well. I don't feel ashame to say that I enjoy listening to pop bands, like Cranberries, Keane, Alicia Keys, or even Kylie Minogue (well, I only like newer Kylie stuff, I still hate her older songs haha). Perhaps when you grow up you open your mind, dunno... :rolleyes:

So tell me, people, what do you think about it? Do yo find it weird that peoplel listen to other music genres? And Kerr, what bands are you enjoying the most right now?

pretty_fly_white_guy858
06-22-2005, 03:31 PM
u asshole u r not a tru fan anywayz offspring dont want u as a truew fan coz u suck and they dont want you so go die lyk nowz.

*grins to self*

Whether you are still into a band after a certain amount of time is only personal preference. I'm almost 17, and while Offspring is still my favourite band, new and old stuff, I have recently started listening to other bands and other genres like instrumental rock and even a bit of emo/screamo.

Offspring got me into 'real' music, allbeit via a song like pretty fly, but the point is I'm now hooked on all their stuff, and despite only having 700 odd posts for over half a year i still feel like i come on here excessively.

Bottom line is that whether you get into/grow out of a band is ultimately down to the individual.

Um, please speak english

nameless
06-22-2005, 03:57 PM
i think they arent as popular as they once were, a few years ago tickets for them at brixton academy in london would be very rare and they probably would have sold it out a few times over but this time they are still on sale!

AlphaDrake
06-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Your an asshole for disliking them, lol jk. Everyones entitled to their own opinions and thats yours. I may not agree with it but that doesnt matter, I;m 16, have liked them since Americana was released and like them even more now, yea some songs get old but thats what new songs and discs are for, they said they were coming out with a new cd and I cant wait, even if they were to retire I would still listen to their music with great enthusiasm.

JohnnyNemesis
06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Um, please speak english

Read the entire post before replying, fuckwad.

HeadAroundU
06-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm 21 & offspring will always be my number 1 :)
When I first heard offspring I knew that they are my band for life!I'm fan since 1998 (Pretty fly)
Besides offspring I'm listening tons of other bands which I love.

Kerr:
Relax man!! You are at critical stage.Take a break with offspring at least for month.
You are trying to like every offspring song , for some people its imposible!

Dexter_Kyle
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I hope this thing isn't contagious!
Nah, I've liked them since 1998 (although I didn't get an album until 2003 or something) and I have never got tired of them. Maybe after years of listening to them I might be, but hopefully that won't be for a long time.

I've liked them since 1998 too! And I didn't get an album until Splinter came out :eek: ...what a coincidence. But I think I'll never grow out of them. Of course, I listen to other bands a lot, but, The Offspring will always be my number 1! Just like Aimeht said.

neocon58
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Read the entire post before replying, fuckwad.

Cheers, Johnny :cool:

original_prankster
06-22-2005, 09:06 PM
I first heard one of their songs around mid-2000, when I watched Idle Hands. I tried hard to figure out who that was that was playing "I Wanna Be Sedated." It's a good thing I started listening to The Offspring around then. I don't even want to think about the music I used to listen to before them...

I've been a fan since about 2001 when Original Prankster was on the TV. Then I got Conspiracy Of One, which is still one of my favorites because it got me INTO them.

Like alot of the people here, Ixnay On The Hombre is my favorite CD and it also has my favorite song by them. I Choose. :D I've never grown tired of them. But, seeing as I'm 14 (soon to be 15), that might change in a year or two...

Camilamazed
06-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Well.I've been listening to them for 10 years or so.I have always listened to other stuff as well.Maybe that's why I didn't get off them. :D

SkunkIt
06-22-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm 17 and I still love them, the acoustic version of "Dirty Magic" is awesome! :)

Venom Symbiote
06-22-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm totally with you, Kerr.

They've been my favourite band, not to mention my fucking idols (having, as corny as it sounds, basically saved my life on two seperate occasions with All I Want and Gone Away), since I was 11 years old back in '97.

But I'm just not feeling it AS MUCH anymore.

They'll always be my favourite band, but aside from Ignition once every couple of weeks, they don't exactly get much rotation in my CD player or computer (aside from these 3 new songs). The Smashing Pumpkins, Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris, Bad Religion, Fuel, Default, A Perfect Circle, Lacuna Coil, and Live would be bands that I LISTEN to more. Take that how you will.

The fact that the fandom has degenerated into 13 year olds who type like fucking Britney Spears has put me off a little, too. These boards irritate the hell out of me, I'm basically just here for album news and general updates.

Rag Doll
06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
They stopped being my favorite band like 4 years ago. Yet, I can't seem to get away from these boards. I still like them and all, though I rarely listen to them, unless they're on the radio. I feel like I kind of outgrew them, and the maturity level of some their fanbase only seems to enforce that for me. My favorite band has been the Smashing Pumpkins for a long time now...it's a different kind of love when it comes to them. Though, I still respect the Offspring and support them and buy their cds...they're no longer my favorite.

Venom Symbiote
06-22-2005, 10:28 PM
My "favourite band" thing is weird, I sorta have one for every aspect of me.

Smashing Pumpkins: MUSICALLY.
Bad Religion: INTELLECTUALLY.
Reel Big Fish: ATTITUDALLY (is that even a word? hah.)
Default: THE VOCALS (this is how I'd sing, I've been told this band's sort of "image" is basically totally reflective of me, I'd have to agree - "average guy" rock)
The Offspring: Probably ON THE WHOLE reflect "me" the best. They're my favourite band for that reason, just not my favourite to LISTEN to. A couple little nitpicky things (bad career choices, etc) annoy me, too.

Rag Doll
06-22-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't put quite as much thought into it. I just get a different feeling listen to the Smashing Pumpkins than I do with other bands. I mean, for certain moods I'm in, I'd rather listen to Louis XIV or Green Day, but overall...yeah. The Pumpkins. Even have a tattoo related to them. That's something I used to want with the Offspring when I was like 12....very glad I decided against it now.

Venom Symbiote
06-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Rad. You hear Billy announced he wants to re-form them?

I get the feeling it won't ever happen with all four, though. He might go all Axl and get him and Jimmy together, with two new members. I don't think he likes D'arcy much these days, and James Iha and him had a huge falling out.

Sucks.

Still, if it's the original line-up, I approve. I'd fucking kill to ever see them live - was too young for concerts and shit before 2000 when they broke up.

Rag Doll
06-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I read what was posted in the other forum. It would be awesome...though, I agree that it probably won't be the exact same line-up. No matter what, I'd want to see them. I was too young as well, and no one living near me likes them, so I couldn't even go see Billy in concert (I think he was in NYC like 2 nights ago).

clokey43
06-23-2005, 03:33 AM
I was atypical 12yr old wen i started to listen to em, but thats 6 yrs ago now. I dont think i will ever grow out of em! I listen to other bands alot as well like rammstein. Oh well every one is diff! Pitty u feel that way thou!

WebDudette
06-23-2005, 04:13 AM
To be truthful I'll listen to Offspring for a few months then get bored and listen to some other bands then ill go back to The Offsrping. Ive been listening to The Offspring on and off since Americana witch is a fairly long time for me on the bases that I'am only 14.

Billsy
06-23-2005, 05:58 AM
how can u be board man i been listening to him since 2000 i can listen 2 em for hours on end
but then again i can listen to any rock band and not get board of em

WebDudette
06-23-2005, 06:00 AM
i do listen to them for hours on end for a whiel then i move on to another band like nirvana or something its liek a rotation

Billsy
06-23-2005, 06:03 AM
o i got Greenday, Offspring, Mxpx, Linkin Park And Blink 182 on most of the time

WebDudette
06-23-2005, 06:47 AM
offspring nirvana depeche mode system of a down rammestein dead kennedys ramones mars volts rolling stones the clash alot more

Obie2trice
06-23-2005, 07:18 AM
I`ve been a fan since 1998, and because of the new stuff I`m still listening oft to their music, number one band for me

blackballs
06-23-2005, 07:46 AM
I've been a fan since 1999 and yet their music still seems fresh to me, every morning in the shower I still listen to and sing All I Want and Pretty Fly. That might be wierd to some but its been like that since I could remember.

Kerr
06-23-2005, 08:59 AM
I am really glad to see that all of you guys are totally open-minded.

I guess I got bored of Americana because I used to listen to it ALL THE TIME, and originally, the Offspring were the only band I used to listen to, besides the odd other album. I think, because I am more into lots of other stuff such as British Indie and BritPop and othe rpunk bands, I am going off them because of their more recent "pop" sound which is nothing compared to the more true punk sound of Bad Religion and NOFX and 1208, bands like that.

I don't dislike them. I am still a fan, but they aren't No. 1 for me. I find I listen to even the really good songs like Dirty Magic and find 'em boring - it is probably down to the fact that I listen to the band too much, so I guess that going into other types of music is a good thing.

I have found that certain songs by The Offspring and Green Day I NEVER get bored of, and never have e.g. Come Out And Play and Longview. I actually try to avoid listening to the Offspring because I DON'T want to get bored of them. At the end of the day, people's tastes vary.

Kerr
06-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Nope, sorry. Actually, I think I like The Offspring more than I used to, but I've only been a fan since 2002.
Actually, I have been a fan since about a year or two after CO1 was released.

gortesque
06-23-2005, 09:20 AM
the majority here started to hear / like them from americana, that means, that ignition wasn't the album that got people to hear them. it's a good album, and it's timing was perfect, but i think that most of the lyrics in the album suck (xept for session and LAPD) and some of the songs are not powerful like the songs in ixnay and americana. ixnay and americana are their best albums, because i think that ixnay was the foundation of their latest music (americana / co1) and americana has a bit of ixnay, smash and ignition. after ameircana the band showed they can produce other genres of music, and you can see that in splinter more than in co1. the decision to make a gh album is genius, from the offspring to splinter they covered alot of genres of rock, sold more than 32 million records world-wide and just made good music.

kerr, if you don't like them you're not a true fan just like others said.

Sinister
06-23-2005, 09:26 AM
(brilliant stuff)

yes yes yes

Kerr
06-23-2005, 09:37 AM
kerr, if you don't like them you're not a true fan just like others said.
I never said I didn't like them. I do. I am just not as big a fan as I used to be. And the whole idea of "Their poppier stuff is shit" was just an opinion, and I clearly said I didn't wanna judge anybody, just stating my opinion.

calmallamadown
06-23-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't hate the Offspring, but I have gone off them quite a bit, and would rather listen to other bands.

yeah, i know what u mean. sometimes i just can't get into it as much as i used to, and im not always in the right kinda mood for splinter n stuff. but u should buy the greatest hits coz then u'll remember how good all their music is. :)

Kerr
06-23-2005, 09:47 AM
yeah, i know what u mean. sometimes i just can't get into it as much as i used to, and im not always in the right kinda mood for splinter n stuff. but u should buy the greatest hits coz then u'll remember how good all their music is. :)
I might do after all, just for can't Repeat and Next To You. Next To You is a quality song :) Dunno 'bout the DVD though, might not bother......

Kerr
06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
dude, im 17 right now
I suppose the stereotype that at 17 you are meant to start getting bored of them was a bit unnecessary I suppose.