PDA

View Full Version : Offspring has forgotten the fans!

Ringo
11-10-2004, 05:45 PM
First off The Offspring has been one of my favorite bands since I heard Ignition. I have seen them 4 times in concert. They sound awesome in concert. But, the last time I saw them, Splinter tour in Kansas City was a major disapointment!!! The show started at 8:00 and was over at 9:20. The opening bands were okay, but I would have liked an Evening with Offspring. Atom showed why he is in the band-excellent drummer. Noodles played well-but how about a solo next time? Dexter sounded awesome. Greg K. sounded good but looked bored. He was so stiff a manican could have replaced him. The set was the same as last year, no lasers, lights, drum or guitar solos, they played a lot of songs but with one after another, barely talking to the crowd. They acted like it was inconvient to be there. Rush came through, and cost the same money. They had an awesome show and played 3 hours. Offspring needs to see a Rush show and learn what playing a concert is all about. With 32 million in sales you would think they would have spent more than twenty bucks on Christmas lights to highlight the stage. I hope they reflect on their career after they get off the road. Take their time on the next CD and put more than 30 minutes of music on it-what a rip. Its time to get out of the garage and be the Monster Band they are-or call it quits. Ringo

Jake
11-10-2004, 05:49 PM
here where i live one christmas light costs less then 20 bucks.

smileemptysoul44
11-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Man I totally agree. I mean they relase a cd every 3 years and never do journal on here. They never write back to fan letters. Dexter wouldnt give me an autograph. I mean they are million years they dont give a fuck. Bands like smile empty soul have a GOOD cd there band members read and responde to over 300 letters to them on there web site everyweek. I live in Milwaukee and Offspring Fucking blew us off they didnt even come to wisconsin this tour. There cd was short, and not that good. Im scared to see them live.

smileemptysoul44
11-10-2004, 06:21 PM
when i said million years i meant million aires (Sorry)

Radi0_havana52
11-10-2004, 06:23 PM
here where i live one christmas light costs less then 20 bucks.

is that canadian or american money. or other money

Fej87
11-10-2004, 06:27 PM
smileemptysoul44, yea I hear ya on the Wisconsin being blown off. I live about .5 hour south of madison. Bu I went to the Chicago show. Sorry guys, but I do agree, Dexter does have that rock star cocky attitude. I didn't believe it either until I witnessed it fuckin first hand. Sucks but I still support them.

smileemptysoul44
11-10-2004, 06:30 PM
i was going to go to the chicago concert but I went to Summerfest. Wouldnt Offspring be perfect for Summerfest?

Redman
11-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Has Jake ever made a post that doesn't reek of idiocy?

killboybowerhead
11-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Dude i dont get you guys youre complaining about the lighting and you have just blown off the fact that they just wanted to try doing traditional punk shows load fast and one song after another not giving the crowd a break. By the way Rush are a bunch of pussys and the only thing they got going for them is their drummer who by default is a loser for being in rush.

killboybowerhead
11-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Ohhh yeah Dexter isnt cocky he smiled at me everytime i crowdsurfed.. you can have your opinion but im gonna defend my hero and the one person that i think that keeps the popular music industry somewhat respectable... Cant you see they arent in it for the money they have plenty so they must be in it for the enjoyment they get out of playing for their fans and quit bitching so they say waht a bunch of ungrateful turds and flat out quit because a few confused fans gave them a bad name

Sman9453
11-10-2004, 06:50 PM
i dont know what your talking about, i saw in them in concert june 1st, splinter tour, the show was 3 hrs, although the opening bands played half of it, i still enjoyed it a lot... i dont think they forgotten the fans, i think theyre concerts are short, just like their cds, just like their songs, its not a negative thing, its just a lil different

Fej87
11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
By the way I'm not bashing Dexter at all, I just have my opinion. But I respect yours. I'm not a dude that likes to start shit, I like having "discussions." So if this thread gets outta control I'm not gunna post.

smileemptysoul44
11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
same here with me

Italia311
11-10-2004, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE= Bands like smile empty soul have a GOOD cd there band members read and responde to over 300 letters to them on there web site everyweek.[/QUOTE]

never even heard of that band...they prolly answer all their letters cause all they have is 300 fans...plz

32 million sales....if half of those ppl sent dexter fan mail..thats 16 million letters...I wouldnt even bother...

offspringbaby2004
11-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Ok, everyone has their own opinions and we have to respect all of them. But in my opinion the Offspring are great to their fans, your lucky they are still making music, and they do it for us. I thought the concert I saw with them was great, I don't think that fancy lights have anything to do with it, they played an awesome show, with great music and energy and that is all the mattered for me. They did talk to the audience and they were pretty funny. About the fanmail thing, I am sure they get a lot of mail, I just sent them a letter. And I am not going to be dissapointed if I don't get anything back. THEY HAVE LIVES TO! :) I love the Offspring and that is never going to change, I think they care about us a lot. I couldn't get over all the things they do for the fans, how they go out of their way for us. Thats just my opinion....

~mandy~

Offspring_01
11-10-2004, 08:54 PM
If you were in a band as big as the offspring, always touring and making new music, would you have time to respond to letters? I don't think so. They don't have time to respond. Their probably much busier in one day than you are in a whole week. They care about the fans, but like offspringbaby said "they have lives to"

turb0negr0
11-10-2004, 09:07 PM
since when do the lights and set make a good show?
I'd rather have their stages be simple.

greencows12
11-10-2004, 09:13 PM
I hate preps. I like potatoes with cheese.

Fej87
11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
The concert I went to was great, especially the lights. Prolly the best night of my life.

offspringbaby2004
11-10-2004, 10:13 PM
The concert I went to was great, especially the lights. Prolly the best night of my life.

the show I went to was defiently one of the best days of my life... no fancy lights though, just an awesome show!

~mandy~

Sman9453
11-10-2004, 10:14 PM
yea, the show i went to rocked a lot... i REALLY enjoyed it, (although the 2 days after i couldnt move, it was fun)

Horse
11-10-2004, 11:23 PM
i went to the melbourne show, n i made it to the frint row n was crushed against the barrier rite in front of greg (i a bass playa it was ideal) n during tkaa dexter looked at me n smiled while i was screamin the words as loud as i could n it was the best moment of my life! n so now i believe that the offspring luv their fans more than nething...

ThrashedThrasher
11-10-2004, 11:36 PM
I saw 'em on Easter and I thought they fuckin' owned. I've seen about 18 or 19 bands live and The Offspring were the best yet. A small club not too crowded but still they sold quite a few tickets. Rave lights, great sound, Dex was all into talking to the crowd, Noodles jumped around like an idiot, Hell Atom put on a Easter bunny mascot head during Why Don't You Get A Job and Greg...well Greg looked like Greg lol. You guys need to realize that touring takes a lot out of people. When I saw them it was their 2nd show of the tour so you obviously caught them on a fucked up day. No need to go bizurk about it, it happens. You can't tell me that you expect them to put on the best show ever on every performance, it's just not possible.

vintagepunkrock7
11-11-2004, 12:17 AM
i couldnt have said it better than offspringbaby2004, she hit the nail right on the head. i dont go to many concerts at all, they have to be someone i really really like for me to go. my first concert ever was ozzfest, so i had pretty high expectations for what a concert should be like, and in my opinion, the offspring concert i went to just totally blew that one away. and one of the things that made it so much better than any other concert i have been to was the energy in the concert hall, the offspring(and their fans) have such a great energy about them when they play. one big let down for me though was going to see aerosmith last year, they just werent happy to be there.

Ringo
11-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I totally agree with what most of you are saying, but a few misunderstood. Offspring is one of my top five fav bands. My whole point was the first time I saw them they were all over the stage just going nuts. Not much of a production, kind of a bar band set up. The sound and energy was awesome. I was so pumped when I left that show. Each time it has been a little less. Less people, less energy, shorter set, basically less fun. This last time for the Splinter tour, it was just not that great of a show. I could not wait to see them and it was soooo short. The opening bands played as long as they did. I think maybe they were a little disapointed that the crowd was so small and maybe even lost money, BUT the fans that were there, on a rainy wednesday night, deserved to see a good show. Face it, they have made a lot of $$$$$. Their worldwide sales are much better than most bands could dream of. They could put on a much better show thats all. I have seen over a hundred concerts. Bon Jovi lip sinking would rank as the worst, this one was real close to the bottom in the fact of such a huge letdown. I felt the same with Splinter-could not wait-but I heard it on the net and was shocked. It was like a half of a CD-maybe thats why it was called Splinter-they splintered in half-haha. Where was Gone Away, Pay the Man, Dirty Magic, Self Esteem, hell Million Miles Away, the Angst, pain, anger, guitar, the balls to the wall garage OC punk band I Love. Gone Away I guess- Left is a coporate radio band trying to hang in there. They have become what they used to make fun of. A punk version of Aerosmith-whats next truck commercials and Greatest Hits CD's? I hope like hell they bounce back, they have totally lost their fan base in the KC area. It makes me wonder if they are going downhill other places? They almost never play them around here on the radio and that sucks bad. I hope they can turn it around??? Ringo

scream
11-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Ohhh yeah Dexter isnt cocky he smiled at me everytime i crowdsurfed.. you can have your opinion but im gonna defend my hero and the one person that i think that keeps the popular music industry somewhat respectable... Cant you see they arent in it for the money they have plenty so they must be in it for the enjoyment they get out of playing for their fans and quit bitching so they say waht a bunch of ungrateful turds and flat out quit because a few confused fans gave them a bad name

seriously. dex is my hero. the show they played in san francisco in april was short but it was the best damned show ive EVER been to.

killboypwrheadjx
11-11-2004, 04:41 PM
dexter is a rockstar and a jerk. i wish i could've met him when he was still writing great songs like self esteem.

Stevo
11-11-2004, 05:57 PM
I agree with the topic title.

Iím a huge offspring fan, I have everything theyíve ever released, and stuff they havenít released, I have a fuckload of merch and offspring tattoos on my body.

But yeah, sadly, theyíre just not putting it back into the fanbase

The release of new work is limited, the dvdís are not band/music based, splinter was 32mins longÖ..

I appreciate everything the band produces, as anything is better than nothing, and all of it is a bonus if you ask me, its just that they seem to release when they get around to it.

No doubt they got into music to earn big dollars, and they need to earn whats thereís, but other bands successfully do both, earn well, release a lot and keep a good relationship with the fan base via website updates.

I was lucky enough to be granted backstage passes for the CO1 tour when they came to my city, which Iíd won via the website Ė something they never offered for the current tour, although I kept going to offspringnation.com and entering, nothing eventuated and nothing was even handed out, Iím lead to believe.

I got to meet the band that night, and it was as if they didnít even get along. Noodles, gregk, ron and Higgins came into the room we were waiting in after the show and mingled nicely with the crowd, very friendly and extremely approachable, I was blown away, they were right there in front of me, but no dexter.

Then they finished their bit and left the room, only for dexter to arrive 20mins later and mingle with the room, mainly sitting on a chair and waiting for ppl to come to him, I didnít mind, the guy is everything to me. I spoke to him a lot, he repeatedly asked me to talk slower, couldnít understand my accent.

But yeah, coz it was the band in the room, then later dexter alone in the room, it was just as if the band werenít getting along on that particular night, and it showed to us in the room.

The band seemed interested in us, noodles repeatedly thanked us all for coming outÖ..dexter seemed inconvenienced to have to visit the fans after the gig.

As for releasesÖÖ.yeah, too long between albums, but my beef isÖ.NO LIVE DVD. Iím always playing the kids arenít alright footage from the huck it dvd, or from the woodstock99 dvd, but thatís just about all I got regarding good quality concert footage. And I think both dvdís are using the same audio, just over different video footage.

I go to my dvd outlet and am surprised with the amount of shit bands with multiple dvdís available of live concerts, and only wish for an offspring one. PLEASE !!

I still enjoy their music, and appreciate it all, if they want to release pop singles from time to time, whatever floats their boat, I know Iíll get the offspring sound from the remaining album tracks, after all, itís the poppish singles released off the album which makes the dollars for them, the album tracks are for the more long term fans I believe.

They have lost contact with their fans, without a doubt, mainly during the whole website transitions etc and lack of journal postings etc etcÖ.but in saying all of this

I still appreciate everything this band has done, or does in the future, coz something, is better than nothing

***was disappointed with the way ron went out, no doubt it was private and there was rumours, but ron was my favourite, due to my interest in drumming. But atom impressed me during the latest tour, he was exceptional. But not ron, not the guy giving me that super intro effort in Session.

I used to be 1000% offspring only, but due to long periods between releases, Iíve begun to enjoy other bands a little more, grinspoon to name one, awesome band.

But yeah, I love the offspring, it just doesnít feel as if they love us as much.

End rantÖ.sorry.

Stevo

Fej87
11-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Stevo,
Exacly.......just...exacly man!

malumboman
11-11-2004, 06:30 PM
I saw them play in Atlanta a few months ago, and I thought they absolutely rocked. Dexter didn't seem at all inconvenienced to be there. He came out early while the openers were playing to eye the croud. Then, during the show, the band kicked ass. If they really didnt care about their fans, they wouldnt even tour. And dont forget that they are getting old. Basically, the Offspring still kick ass!

Ringo
11-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Stevo
I totally agree, half the stuff you said I have been feeling too. I used to really enjoy Noodles Journal the funny shit of falling on a skateboard, hangovers, surfing-I love surfing. Yeah they are still touring but it seems like it is, look at us we went to 25 countries and played an hour at each. The DVD thing sucks too. I would love to see some early footage, some live stuff in Brazil with 20 thousand fans, anything. I did appreciate the videos added on to their last cds. I hate MTV and won't sit there watching shit all day hoping to see one Rockin Offspring video. I have never got to meet them you are so lucky. I always thought Noodles Ron Dex and Greg were really tight. I was totally shocked when Ron left half way through Splinter. But after hearing it-all 32 mins of it I am not surprised. He was an awesome drummer and it seems like he was being scaled down, if that is the right word. I love Session-great song-full of anger. Maybe it is they are getting older and this is just a business now. I don't want it too seem like I am ragging them because like you said anything is better than nothing. But like a lot of other cool people on this site have said they used to do a lot of extra shit for the fans, but not so much now. I wasn't aware of tension in the band, but when I saw them last they sounded like the same band-awesome- but like I said the energy was just not there. Greg K looked like he needed a nap. He is a great bass player but get the fuckin cement out of your shoes buddy-you have tons of fans out there that payed $$$ to see you rock. I don't know if you like Iron Maiden, but these guys are a lot older than Offspring and they seem like the fountain of youth. Dance of Death was surprisingly fresh and new. You can tell the whole band had input and they put out as much music to their fans as posible. Offspring will never be Maiden-not even close, but their music used to break new ground, be relevant, say something funny interesting shocking, but now- Hit That- sounds like the soundtrack for a Herbie the Love Bug Movie-sorry but where's the Balls. Dahui rocked-those guys are bad ass and would have been pissed if they did a lame song with their name on it. Maybe I am just expecting to much of the greatest OC/punk band of all time? Ringo

Stevo
11-11-2004, 09:59 PM
was just reading the bio section how they were promoting CO1 as being free to download from the net in its entire album form.

but stopped by sony music...

kinda thought when it happened it was a bit of a media stunt, them saying it knowing sony would never go for it, therefore knowing it would never happen but look very very fan based and generous in the mean time

but then there is the 1mill they gave away....

if only they gave us what they're exceptional at.... good hard fast drumming american style punk music....

thats all i need, oh, and a bloody LIVE DVD ya punks.

i feel like a hater writing all this shit, but yeah, its how a true blue die hard offspring fan is seeing things these days. to me there is no other.

punk_flamingo
11-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Greg K was never one for going off though, he's always been the silent type. He plays his bass so well though...mmm Greg. ahahaha.

Ringo
11-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Yeah Greg K is pretty laid back, it just seemed like the first three times I saw him he moved around a lot more. Maybe they were ready to just get it over with. Like I said it was a very small crowd-which is an insult to a great band like Offspring-so maybe they were like lets just cut are set list in half and get the fuck out of here. When your just going through the motions it really shows up in a live performace. I have seen Iron Maiden several times. They used to pack stadiums, but since they get no radio play their popularity around here has dropped. I went to their show like ten years ago when Metal was supposably dead. It was a 15 thousad seat arena and there was 1500 people there. But Bruce Dickenson said "We would rather be here for are die hard fans then have the place full of people that just dont fuckin get it." When Offspring put out Spliter it showed that they are the ones that don't get the fans anymore-or just don't care. Ringo