PDA

View Full Version : Ban looms on burning of US flag

Noodles is gay
06-25-2005, 01:43 PM
"REPUBLICANS pushing for a constitutional ban on burning the American flag celebrated a major victory after the House of Representatives overwhelmingly backed the measure.

The issue, which goes to the heart of an Americanís constitutional right to free speech, has the best chance of succeeding in years.

It now goes to the Senate, where the recent influx of Republicans could help it to achieve the required two-thirds support.

Countries that already outlaw burning the national flag include China, North Korea, Iraq, Iran and Cuba. Some MPs in Britain and Australia have also called for a ban.

Moves to ban the burning of the Stars and Stripes on American soil have been spurred in large part by post-9/11 patriotism, but the initiative is also politically motivated and designed to make life awkward for Democrats.

Those who vote against a ban know that their patriotism will be questioned mercilessly the next time they are up for election.

For congressmen, that is next year, and 77 Democrats in the House joined Republicans to support rewriting the constitution by 286 votes to 130, more than a two-thirds majority. For the Constitution to be amended, both chambers of Congress need to back the measure with a two-thirds majority. It then has to be ratified by three quarters, or 38, of the 50 states within seven years."

From the Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-1667033,00.html)

hummm...well I thought that was rather interesting.

Preecey
06-25-2005, 01:45 PM
You read the Times? Bloody hell, you are up to date.

Noodles is gay
06-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes, I read the Times - tis the only newspaper which is almost worth the paper it's printed on. I actually read the hard-copy but for linking purposes I have to use the website.

You don't read the Times?

Endymion
06-25-2005, 01:52 PM
i think i'll burn a flag in protest.

Preecey
06-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Yes, I read the Times - tis the only newspaper which is almost worth the paper it's printed on. I actually read the hard-copy but for linking purposes I have to use the website.

I briefly flick through it on Saturdays when my dad gets it, but most of my news information comes from the BBC website.

Could be worse, though. I could read the Sun.

No wonder you write so well, if you read the Times regularly.

Noodles is gay
06-25-2005, 01:57 PM
^ oh god, at least you don't read the Sun. Or the Mirror! :eek: Or the Daily Mail! http://www.traumtroepfchen.de/bilder/smilies/sm35.gif That would be quite awful.

i think i'll burn a flag in protest.

yes indeed - I think I'll have to do it too next time I'm over there. I could have a copy of the communist manifesto in my back pocket to really irritate some people.

SkunkIt
06-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I'll join and we can have a party! :D

Noodles is gay
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
I vote for a barbeque over the burning remnants.

Preecey
06-25-2005, 02:06 PM
It didn't say anything about burning Bush or Blair dolls, though. Mind you, that'd mean there'd be too many people to stop.

Noodles is gay
06-25-2005, 02:12 PM
oh god; it's real (http://www.georgebushytail.com/Wimp%20Bushytail%20Parties.htm)

Argh, there's even a blair (http://wackyiraqi.com/news/2002/osama_doll.htm) one! :eek:

Preecey
06-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I always thought the best one was the British soldier action-man in The Private Eye. It has things like: 'realistic melting boots like the ones British soldeirs wear in Iraq!' and 'authentic scaled-down version of a British gun jamming in the heat!' annoted all over it.

RXP
06-25-2005, 02:16 PM

i'm seriously shocked you don't read the daily mail. Seriously.

Noodles is gay
06-25-2005, 02:20 PM
i'm seriously shocked you don't read the daily mail. Seriously.

Really? Why the hell would I wish read that crap?

If I wanted to know about the wonderfully interesting lives of celebrities then I'd probably buy hello or heat magazine, but, seeing as I don't give a damn about those ridiculous people and actually want to know about the important things, I read the Times.

I always thought the best one was the British soldier action-man in The Private Eye. It has things like: 'realistic melting boots like the ones British soldeirs wear in Iraq!' and 'authentic scaled-down version of a British gun jamming in the heat!' annoted all over it.

HAHAH! :D I had not seen that!

RXP
06-25-2005, 08:41 PM
You do realise the the daily mail is a lot more than shitty celeb news. You'd love it. Just pick up a copy sometime

leo3375
06-25-2005, 08:56 PM
First of all, the flag is a piece of cloth. What should be preserved is not the cloth but what it supposedly stands for. Apparently the fools in Congress think that the material of the flag is more important than the values it is supposed to represent. By making it illegal to burn the flag, two things would happen: First, free speech would be stifled, a direct conflict with the First Amendment. Second, flag etiquette states that the proper way to dispose of an old, tattered flag is by burning it. This proposed amendment is in direct conflict with itself.

Moose
06-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Fuck the Times...I read the Post.

Deicidal Maniac
06-25-2005, 11:04 PM
She isn't talking about the NY Times.

For anyone thinks this legislation is silly, I should remind you that we've found Bin Laden, shut down Al Qaeda, got out of the deficit, and provided healthcare for all Americans already.

So, you see, there's really no more problems to fix but this...

Sin Studly
06-26-2005, 04:27 AM
You stopped all those suicide bombers in Iraq, too. Don't forget that. And didn't you go back to Vietnam and finally stomp those pinko commies back in the early nineties sometime too?

Preecey
06-26-2005, 04:35 AM
She isn't talking about the NY Times.

For anyone thinks this legislation is silly, I should remind you that we've found Bin Laden, shut down Al Qaeda, got out of the deficit, and provided healthcare for all Americans already.

So, you see, there's really no more problems to fix but this...
You really can't help but be an over-patriotic twat, can you?

Not Ozymandias
06-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Why am I not surprised that it was a limey who didn't get the joke...

lost_nvrfound
06-26-2005, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Deicidal Maniac]For anyone thinks this legislation is silly, I should remind you that we've found Bin Laden, shut down Al Qaeda, got out of the deficit, and provided healthcare for all Americans already.QUOTE]
oh yeah... we sure did all that...

though, we were actually out of the deficit for a short period of time, out of debt even, before bush sent us plummeting back into it

Darawk
06-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Wow...that's fucked up. Outlawing the burning of the flag is like a metaphorical conversion to fascism. I mean, there is no pratical purpose whatsoever to outlawing it. It won't stop terrorism, it won't make us any safer, and it doesn't cause anyone harm. It's a pure expression of opinion. It does nothing else, and it can be used to do nothing else. It's not like limiting freedom of speech so you can't say "fire" in a crowded theater...that has a practical purpose. This does not. They are curtailing a right that they have no reason to curtail. A free society is based on the concept of the need to prove that you should not have a right, in order to make that right illegal. The concept of fascism, is the necessity of proving that you do need a right, in order to make it legal. Outlawing the burning of the flag is fascism, pure and simple.

Anyone notice how all of the other countries that have this law are communist/religious dictatorships?

leo3375
06-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Well-said, Darawk!