PDA

View Full Version : mistake on greatest hits

bouncingcoles
06-26-2005, 07:57 AM
i got the dual disk yesterday and i noticed a mistake on the printing, in the cd booklet where it says the song lyrics it says that the drums tracks for cant repeat were layed down by josh freeze, which we know that isnt the case, it was atom, because first, you can tell its atoms drumming, second, if it was Josh dexter would have told us, and third atoms part of the band now.

i just wanted to see if i wasnt the only person that noticed this.

HeadAroundU
06-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Josh made drums! :cool:

Kitten
06-26-2005, 08:14 AM
I think until someone from the band informs us of it, no one is going to believe it. Companies never misprint cd covers or band information, and journalists always research the bands they are going to interview.

Zee
06-26-2005, 08:32 AM
I also thought that the drums sounded like made by Atom, but I don't know then...

HeadAroundU
06-26-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm 100% sure that Josh made drums!
He is called drumming chameleon or bruce lee on the drums!

Dexter1989
06-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Josh made the drums and that song was written during splinter, is obvious.

IdiotOfTheDay
06-26-2005, 09:17 AM
It's not just next to Can't Repeat, it says it in the back, too. "All drumming done by Ron Welty except for tracks 1, 13, and 14" or something along those lines.

nameless
06-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I think until someone from the band informs us of it, no one is going to believe it. Companies never misprint cd covers or band information, and journalists always research the bands they are going to interview.

thats not exactly true! the singer in rancid had his name misprinted in a booklet on one of their albums!

Tijs
06-26-2005, 03:16 PM
thats not exactly true! the singer in rancid had his name misprinted in a booklet on one of their albums!
That's different, that's a spelling error, it's not a completely different name.

SkunkIt
06-26-2005, 03:19 PM
It's not a mistake, "Can't Repeat" was an unreleased song on Splinter.

Little_Miss_1565
06-26-2005, 04:58 PM
As it's been discussed in other threads, Josh Freese is a very well known and busy session drummer. Atom's job is not threatened. Josh has drummed for everyone from Hoku to Guns and Roses--the complete list is on his website.

bouncingcoles
06-26-2005, 08:17 PM

i dont think its an unreleased song because, 1st, on the advertisments for the greatest hits album it says "new song" cant repeat. it doesnt say "unreleased song" cant repeat. if cant repeat was actually unreleased they would have said it was unreleased. 2nd the drumming sounds nothing like josh freese. COMPARE THE DRUMMING OF CANT REPEAT TO THE REST OF THE SONGS ON SPLINTER. THEY DONT SOUND LIKE THE SAME DRUMMER.

0r4ng3
06-26-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm still not sure what to believe. How come Can't Repeat sounds nothing like any other song on Splinter (except for the Long Way Home riff)?

neocon58
06-26-2005, 11:20 PM
COMPARE THE DRUMMING OF CANT REPEAT TO THE REST OF THE SONGS ON SPLINTER. THEY DONT SOUND LIKE THE SAME DRUMMER.

lol, can't repeat is completely different song to those on splinter. that doesn't neccessarily mean that josh didn't record the drums.

hey, maybe atom was unavailable when they went to record can't repeat and josh stood in.

All these people typing "Nah it soundz nuffin lyk josh freeez' don't know who josh freese is and what he's capable of.

Venom Symbiote
06-27-2005, 02:23 AM
QUOTE:
..."and journalists always research the bands they are going to interview."

Hah. Hah hah. A-haha-hahaha-haaah. Hah. Haha haaah. Hah. :D Oh jeez, thanks for that. I needed a good chuckle.

neocon58
06-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Just to give some people that don't know some background on Josh Freese.

Josh Freese was born on Christmas Day, 1972 in Orlando, Florida but has lived in Southern California since he was 6 months old. Having been brought up in a musical family (father conducted the Disneyland Band and mother was a classical pianist) he was surrounded by music from an early age and began playing the drums around the time he was 7 or 8 years old. He started playing professionally at the age of 12 (in a Top 40 band at Disneyland) and starting touring and making records at the age of 15. First with Dweezil Zappa and then the Vandals, pretty much simultaneously. Still a member of the Vandals, Josh has gone on to work with some pretty bitchin' folks in the last 10 years; ranging from Devo to Guns n' Roses, Suicidal Tendencies to Perry Farrell, Paul Westerberg to Chris Cornell, A Perfect Circle to Juliana Hatfield, Mike Ness to 311, etc....he's appeared on close to 100 records (see Discography page for an almost complete listing). Aside from being an L.A. studio musician (what he calls his "day job") He's a member of A Perfect Circle, The Vandals, and Devo.

He also recently released his first solo record titled "The Notorious One Man Orgy" where he writes, sings, and performs just about everything. He's been hailed "The Bruce Lee Of Drums" and was recently presented with the key to Los Angeles when the Mayor declared July 24th "Josh Freese Day" in Los Angeles.

And this list, which is nowhere near complete, is a list of artists he has worked with/for:

The Vandals
Dweezil Zappa
Abandonded Pools
Viva Death
Strip Search
Tracy Bonham
Puddle Of Mudd
Suicidal Tendencies
Guns N' Roses
Paul Westerberg
A Perfect Circle
Devo
Perry Farell
Julian Hatfield
Angelica
Jamie Blake
Warren Fitzgerald
Bic Runga
Mary Lou Lord
David Schiffman
Chris Cornell
Jason Freese
Brooks Wackerman
Robert Trujillo
Lyle Workman
Tom Weir
Matt Wallace
Sean Slade
Paul Q. Kolderie
Rusty Anderson
Blues Saraceno
Boxing Gandhis
Meredith Brooks
Crumb
The John Doe Thing
F.Y.P.
Juliana Hatfield
Hayden
Hoku
Indigo Girls
Infectious Grooves
Wayne Kramer
Lazlo Bane
Dana Legg Stage Band
Mary Lou Lord
Magnapop
Maypole
Shawn Mullins
Leona Naess
Mike Ness
New Radicals
Palo Alto
Poe
Possum Dixon
Princess
Bic Runga
Blues Saraceno
Slider
South Park
Stacey Q
Thermadore
The Wailing Souls
The Wilsons
Xtra Large
Rob Zombie

He's a good session drummer. I don't see how it's hard to see him recording 'Can't repeat'. As for Atom being intimidated/threatened...FUCK OFF!

RobinoZombie
06-27-2005, 10:16 AM
since they JUST recorded it...or finnished the recording... maybe josh lay the drums and they keept that track but altered something else, since you can copy and paste drums easily in a studio(or home cmp)
thougt it was Atom though....

Strider
06-27-2005, 10:34 AM
i got the dual disk yesterday and i noticed a mistake on the printing, in the cd booklet where it says the song lyrics it says that the drums tracks for cant repeat were layed down by josh freeze, which we know that isnt the case, it was atom, because first, you can tell its atoms drumming, second, if it was Josh dexter would have told us, and third atoms part of the band now.
As we all know, Josh Freese played with Offspring in the studio when recording Splinter. Theoretically, nothing makes it imposible for him to play again on this song.

It's not just next to Can't Repeat, it says it in the back, too. "All drumming done by Ron Welty except for tracks 1, 13, and 14" or something along those lines.

Also...Why did they print "All drumming done by ron Welty..." ? Does he still play with Offspring nowadays? I didn't know

sk8ter-hater
06-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Atom did the drumming of "Can't Repeat" at the concert.

IdiotOfTheDay
06-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Also...Why did they print "All drumming done by ron Welty..." ? Does he still play with Offspring nowadays? I didn't know
No, but he did all the drumming in the Greatest Hits songs except for those tracks, didn't he?

DontDiedexter
06-27-2005, 05:15 PM

i just wanted to see if i wasnt the only person that noticed this.
I have no idea...

Little_Miss_1565
06-27-2005, 05:41 PM
No, but he did all the drumming in the Greatest Hits songs except for those tracks, didn't he?

Right right. We're still in the midst of a changing of the guard. Atom is the drummer now, but Ron was on six of the band's seven albums, and this is a retrospective CD.

FFX-ME
07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
they should have put it on splintewr than, that cd was week and contained crappy space coverers like when your in prison

dain84
07-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Josh made the drums and that song was written during splinter, is obvious.
No! Dexter said in an interview that he wrote can't repeat during his plane trip around the world!

FFX-ME
07-27-2005, 02:05 PM
his trip is the time he was writing that cd

freek
07-27-2005, 02:15 PM
I read an interview somewhere while they were workin on Splinter and Dexter said that Josh Freese was doing the drums for the new album because they hadnt found somebody yet.

And I think that Cant Repeat was written just for GH, because I read on offspring.com while they were workin on it that they were in the studio redoing old songs and workin on some new stuff for GH.

and here:
http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2005&newsID=418964

it says that "The song “Can‘t Repeat” will be included in the upcoming greatest hits album. It is the first new Offspring material since 2003‘s Splinter..."

FFX-ME
07-27-2005, 02:18 PM
oh that's cool, i thought it was a song they left out of splinter

freek
07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
No problem, just tryin to help

Bacterium
07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
his trip is the time he was writing that cd

the trip was not whilst he was writing the Splinter cd, since Splinter came out in 2003, and the trip was in 2004..

Bacterium
07-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Who started the talk about Can't Repeat being an unreleased song for Splinter? Can't Repeat is a new song.

nameless
07-27-2005, 02:27 PM
so does anyone know who played on the greatest hits track or because of when it was written are we assuming it was atom and it was miss printed in the booklet?!

freek
07-27-2005, 02:30 PM
I dont think they re-recorded any of the old songs for GH, thats why I think it says Ron did the drums for the songs (except 1, 13, and 14)

And I would guess that they just took the last two songs from Splinter and Atom just did the drums for Cant Repeat

Skate Rat 19
07-27-2005, 05:22 PM
who the hell cares, really

Telekinesis
07-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm very confused, It says on Splinter that Josh Freese did all the drumming for Splinter right? but in the Can't Get My Head Around You video it's Atom drumming. My Dad said that with music video's they just play the song the recorded in the studio, so does that mean Atom took credit for Josh's drumming? it could be the same for Can't Repeat. I'm confused :confused:

jacK
07-27-2005, 06:24 PM
you guys are making this WAY too complicated. how does a common sense solution elude so many people?

The booklet is NOT a misprint.

Josh is a drummer for hire... you pay him and he'll play anything... he comes in, records, takes his money and goes to the next band that is willing to pay him for his talent (see neocon58's list.)

If you think this song was written brand new for Greatest Hits, think again. When they say "new material", that means it's new to us. It's called marketing. I guarantee you (along with HeadAroundU) that this song was recorded [with Josh on drums] during Splinter's recording, and just hid from public until now.

As for any questions regarding Atom playing live, it's called being a good drummer when you can play songs in concert that somebody else recorded. Remember everything before Splinter was recorded by Ron, yet Atom still plays the stuff live.

And the question about Atom playing in the CGMHAY vid... yes, they just play the album version of the song dubbed over all other sound made during the making of the video. Yes, it's Josh's drumming being played but Atom being shown playing... Atom's in the band, Josh isn't, Atom gets the face time.

SMASH0390
07-27-2005, 07:00 PM
k so that all sounds right. the only problem i have now is that josh freeze did all the drumming but they say atom in the back of the booklet. well he plays all the live stuff so i supose he should b credited. oh well they dont need freeze no more.

Conspiracy of One
07-27-2005, 07:01 PM
who Cares!!!!!!!!!!

code_blue
07-27-2005, 07:45 PM
it WAS josh playing, that's no mistake. higgins told me on wednesday. what happened was, dexter changed the drum pattern for the song at the last minute after they had already recorded the old pattern with atom. atom was out of town when dexter decided to change it, so they got josh to do it.. or something like that. case closed.

bouncingcoles
07-27-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm 100% sure that Josh made drums!
He is called drumming chameleon or bruce lee on the drums!

that doesnt mean he did the drums dumb ass

0r4ng3
07-27-2005, 09:37 PM
who Cares!!!!!!!!!!
Apparently, all of the non-idiots who posted in this thread.