PDA

View Full Version : the offspring is metal-infuenced??

Dragonkiato
06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
check what i've found in this site:
http://www.mp3.com/the-offspring/artists/22149/biography.html

they say:"...The Offspring's metal-inflected punk ..."
what do you think??

TRUSTpunk
06-28-2005, 10:43 AM
"Americana" and "No Brakes" sounds like Punk metal doesn't it ?

dexterisMYman
06-28-2005, 10:45 AM
no not really they kinda sound like hard punk.

TRUSTpunk
06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
I hear in Metal , stuff like "Don't blame me I just work here but I wanna Fuck it up!"

After thinking about No Brakes , thats more like hardcore Punk.

coke_a_holic
06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
They used to be punk, but they're really poppy. Nothing wrong with that, but you guys really need to get over the fact that OFFSPRING IS NOT PUNK ROCK.

Hypodermic_89
06-28-2005, 11:16 AM
the Offspring were influenced by Social D .. :)

HeadAroundU
06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/
GENRE:
Rock

STYLES:
Alternative Pop/ Rock
Punk Revival
Post-Grunge
Punk-Pop

MOODS:
Cynical/ Sarcastic
Angst-Ridden
Hostile
Angry
Brooding
Rebellious
Visceral
Aggressive
Rowdy
Confrontational
Menacing
Rambunctious
Swaggering
Trashy
Lively
Irreverent
Energetic
Fun
Street-Smart
Bittersweet
Boisterous

killer_queen
06-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't care. I've never cared about music types. It's stupid. Everybody names the music. I say they're punk. More generally rock.

SkyRocker
06-28-2005, 11:40 AM
You can say they're metal-influenced if you want but not only, their songs are very eclectic

dexterisMYman
06-28-2005, 11:42 AM
They used to be punk, but they're really poppy. Nothing wrong with that, but you guys really need to get over the fact that OFFSPRING IS NOT PUNK ROCK.
what bands do u classify as "punk rock"?

offspring kid
06-28-2005, 11:44 AM
The Offspring Are Punk Rock KEEP THAT IN YOUR MIND !

dexterisMYman
06-28-2005, 11:45 AM
ok lets b done w/ this argument. it has happened b4.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-28-2005, 01:28 PM
I've heard that thing about them being "metal influenced" somewhere too..... I can kind of understand it though. I suppose.... :/

IdiotOfTheDay
06-28-2005, 04:36 PM
MOODS:
Cynical/ Sarcastic
Angst-Ridden
Hostile
Angry
Brooding
Rebellious
Visceral
Aggressive
Rowdy
Confrontational
Menacing
Rambunctious
Swaggering
Trashy
Lively
Irreverent
Energetic
Fun
Street-Smart
Bittersweet
Boisterous

Hahaha. They're so moody.

original_prankster
06-28-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm over it. :p

Noodfan
06-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Feelings may sound metal with a different(maybe brutal) vocal.

ashtray_girl_1
06-28-2005, 05:17 PM
you could say they're punk, metal, pop, country, r'n'b, rap...!doesn't matter what someone says or writes-what matters is they play great music!

neocon58
06-28-2005, 06:05 PM
what about the slow, metailsh sections in 'never gonna find me' and 'the noose (intro)', eh?

punk_riOt
06-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Meh..well i guess i felt like Smash had a heavier feel to it than some other albums. But i dunno i don't particularly like labeling bands to a genre.

Noodfan
06-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Meh..well i guess i felt like Smash had a heavier feel to it than some other albums. But i dunno i don't particularly like labeling bands to a genre.
i think ixnay have some songs(me-my old lay, amazed, leave it behind, meaning of life) sounds heavy

Eddie
06-28-2005, 08:24 PM
No Metal at all.

Ronin
06-28-2005, 11:17 PM
at times they might have a metal-like sound...

keep in mind that the offspring is a very innovative band. it's obvious (at least in my mind) that they enjoy creating different flavors in their music.

i compare it to cooking....would a cook wanna make the same dish over and over again? nope, they always try different things, different spices to jazz it up, sometimes a different meat, sometimes different side dishes, and sometimes a zingy garnish just for the hell of it :cool:

similarly, the offspring doesnt wanna crank out the same song over and over, they wanna add some different things. a different riff to jazz it up, sometimes a different lyric foundation, sometimes a different style solo, and sometimes some nifty sounds effects and postproduction stuff just for the hell of it :)

personally, i respect them a whole bunch for innovating the way they do. it shows the true versatility and talent that only the best of the best musicians have :D

Venom Symbiote
06-29-2005, 01:04 AM
Four words: Ixnay on the Hombre.

They ARE metal-tinged, in a lot more songs than you think.

Mind you, they don't mean Metallica/Slayer/Pantera type metal, more the classic sort of "pre-metal" metal. Heavy Metal of the late '70s and into the '80s, before it turned total metal. Classic metal. Compare to, say, AC/DC, Motorhead, Guns & Roses, some Bon Jovi, hell even early Black Sabbath, you'll hear where The Offspring pulled some of Ixnay from.

Think about it: Mota is basically a metal song. As is Amazed, and for the most part Gone Away is a metal-influenced ballad.

Americana, Co1 and Splinter all have the odd song inspired here, too. I'd say Million Miles Away, Defy You, and Race Against Myself use the same vibe, even though they're so highly and cleanly produced it loses some of its effect.

But yeah: Ixnay is as much a quasi-metal album as a quasi-punk album.

No argument.

Splinteryourself
06-29-2005, 02:37 AM
i think saying 'its metal' 'its punk' 'it's pop' is all jerk job

Punk rock is mind not how you sing it, not how you play it or something like that

HeadAroundU
06-29-2005, 02:38 AM
Four words: Ixnay on the Hombre.

They ARE metal-tinged, in a lot more songs than you think.

Mind you, they don't mean Metallica/Slayer/Pantera type metal, more the classic sort of "pre-metal" metal. Heavy Metal of the late '70s and into the '80s, before it turned total metal. Classic metal. Compare to, say, AC/DC, Motorhead, Guns & Roses, some Bon Jovi, hell even early Black Sabbath, you'll hear where The Offspring pulled some of Ixnay from.

Think about it: Mota is basically a metal song. As is Amazed, and for the most part Gone Away is a metal-influenced ballad.

Americana, Co1 and Splinter all have the odd song inspired here, too. I'd say Million Miles Away, Defy You, and Race Against Myself use the same vibe, even though they're so highly and cleanly produced it loses some of its effect.

But yeah: Ixnay is as much a quasi-metal album as a quasi-punk album.

No argument.
I completely agree!
My friend don't listen to offspring very much,but when he heard Million miles away he thought its Iron maiden......

Piedude
06-29-2005, 03:30 AM
First album sounds most metal influenced I think..

I read somewhere that they found it difficult in the beginning because they were too punk for the metal fans and too metal for the punk fans...

That_Guy91
06-29-2005, 04:10 AM
i think the website only said they were metal-inflected is that most bands that people consider "punk" are bands like simple plan and good charlotte

offspringjon
06-29-2005, 05:30 AM
what bands do u classify as "punk rock"?
I think they might mean bands like NOFX, Rancid, Bad Religion and Pennywise. But then again Pennywise sound so much like Offspring...

Venom Symbiote
06-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Maiden is another good example of the sort of metal bands I'm talking about.

We're not talking thrash shit like Slayer/Megadeth, or power metal like Hammerfall. Just plain old metal-metal. :)

S/T is kinda metal too, I guess. More "hardcore" though, it's not as beefy or whatever. T.S.O.L. sounding, moreso than the other bands I listed.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-29-2005, 07:33 AM
I completely agree!
My friend don't listen to offspring very much,but when he heard Million miles away he thought its Iron maiden......
What the fuck? Wha...? Iron Maiden? Million Miles Aw....? My god! Your friend should like.... Jesus christ, Iron maiden?! That's... stupid.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
06-29-2005, 07:34 AM
S/T is kinda metal too, I guess. More "hardcore" though, it's not as beefy or whatever. T.S.O.L. sounding, moreso than the other bands I listed.

I think Dexter and Jack have very similar voices. The first song I ever heard by TSOL was "Code Blue" and I could have sworn it sounded like an old unreleased Offspring song or something. I think much of Dexter's influence, vocal-wise, comes from Jack Grisham.

ChaoX
06-29-2005, 07:36 AM
offspring is Gnu-Metal :rolleyes:

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
06-29-2005, 07:40 AM
offspring is Gnu-Metal :rolleyes:

You forgot the umlaut, dude. :D

Venom Symbiote
06-29-2005, 08:32 AM
MMA doesn't sound like 'Maiden. But some of Ixnay most-certainly does.

And yeah, Dex's early work (Self-Titled alone, I'm talking here - plus the Manic Subsidal material, of course) was totally T.S.O.L. in nature.

Noodfan
06-29-2005, 06:59 PM
i sometimes play offspring in my band with a metal distortion. it sounds cool.

0r4ng3
06-29-2005, 07:27 PM
i think the website only said they were metal-inflected is that most bands that people consider "punk" are bands like simple plan and good charlotte
Good point. Next to bands like GC and SP, The Offspring probably sounds like death metal.

Kerr
06-30-2005, 02:16 AM
Well, they are very heavy. I would have classed them as punk and slightly metal. This can be seen in Bloodstains easily. And stuff from their s/t is kind of metally with those guitars - they sound similar to the guitars on Metallica's Kill 'Em All.

Bacic
07-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Think Think :confused:

Pure PUNK-ROCK :) :) :cool:

barangatang
07-01-2005, 06:17 AM

yah thier first 3 albums were punk rockish but than thier last 4 albums have been becoming more and more poppy.

Noodfan
07-01-2005, 06:24 AM
yah thier first 3 albums were punk rockish but than thier last 4 albums have been becoming more and more poppy.
wrong answer!!! yeah i hate pretty fly stuff(read "other band" posts) but offspring is not poppy. if you watch only mtv yeah they are but if you are a fan you will see the difference between popy and punk-rock offspring

Holger estonia
07-01-2005, 07:08 AM
the Offspring were influenced by Social D .. :)
jap thats right.

Dexter_H
07-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Seriously go and listen to Smash and Ixnay and you will hear the metal.

Heat
07-01-2005, 07:48 AM
lol, i think that smash and ixnay are really the wrong examples.
you should here the selftitled record. that one is most metal-influenced.

I completely agree!

haha, sorry dude - but it seems that your friend doesn't know maiden. they sound completely different.

see ya in hell

Dexter_H
07-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Heaps of chord progressions in Smash and Ixnay are stolen from metal.

Venom Symbiote
07-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Ixnay is loads more "metal" than S/T.

S/T is just "hardcore" - thinkg T.S.O.L., maybe even early AFI.

Ixnay was punk-metal, with a couple of novelty pop songs to boot. Not "thrash metal" or anything, but definitely metal-metal influenced. Again, think AC/DC, Maiden, Sabbath, 80's Pantera (glam stuff style), Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Motorhead, that kinda jazz. ;)