PDA

View Full Version : To go to warped tour... or not to go

Manic subsidal
06-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Ok I don't really go to concerts that often but I know how it works. You run around in the mosh pit and the music is so loud the next day you can barely hear.

Well warped tour is coming up soon and all I want to see is 2 bands which are The offspring and strung out. Everything else I think is ...meh. But I could care less, I really want to see offspring because I've never seen them live before and I need to soon because you never know, they're getting old, splinter sells went bad, they can't repeat :p, etc.

Well my friends really don't want me to go for several reasons.

-I guess some other warped tour close to our town got cancled so their town is going to come over to our warped tour so obviously it's going to be PACKED.

-I really want to try to make it to the front row to see offspring (or at least somewhere around there) but they're saying no way. Last time they saw green day, they were like a mile away.

-I'm going to warped tour alone and they're like dude you need somebody to come with you? Well what's the point if you're going to be mixed up in the crowd anyways? All I need is a ride home really...

-They're saying it's dangerous with all the druggies, moshpits, etc.. there.

Ha even though I agree on that... I'm 6'2, not super strong but I'm not a little weak pussy either. I know tons of short weak people that go to these concerts.

So what do you think? Should I go or not. Give me some good reasons why I should go (instead of offspring) and some reasons why I shouldn't go. I have never been to warped tour before so I basically know nothing, fill me in on some stuff please. Thanks a lot.

Tired_Of_You
06-28-2005, 07:05 PM
I've never been to the Vans Warped Tour but I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to be in the front row for the show. You're 6 feet tall, so even if you're not that close to the stage, at least you'll see something ( as opposed to me =/ ). Like I said I've never been to the Vans, but it happened often that I arrived at a show at the last minute, it was packed and I was still able to be near of the stage, so I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.

You don't necessarily need someone to come with you. Anyway, I'm sure you'll meet people you know there. For a ride home take a bus? Ask your parents? Family? Taxi? A friend?

It's not dangerous as long as you bring sunblock, you buy (or bring) water & food and all the other things you could need there.

And I know you said to not say The Offspring as a reason to go...but they are a good reason, no? ;)

You should go.

Manic subsidal
06-28-2005, 07:29 PM
oh yeah what to bring, that's something I need to make sure of also.

Ok well, I'm thinking of wearing a light t-shirt, shorts, and I'm going to have to find some way to make my shoes really tight because I remember hearing stories of people loosing their shoes. That would suck. How much money should I bring? What offspring-related stuff can I buy there? And is everything really expensive or cheap? Like would a small bottle of water cost $3? Hopefully not. Also, how do you guys keep your wallets safe? I don't have a chain wallet or anything. Maybe I should bring a money bag to wrap around my stomach lmao. Also what about a camera? I'm just afraid of this stuff getting stolen you know... edit: oh yeah sunblock of course..

btw do you think earplugs would be a smart idea? I love how loud the concerts are but I've never been too up close before. If I am really close up, should I protect my poor little ears :(

Haha thanks guys, I definitely want to go to this more than ever now.

another edit: crap, one more question. What the hell time is everything at? Is there a link at the warped website when this thing starts and ends and the time all the bands are playing at. Yeah I have no problem with getting picked up by parents or friend but if I have to know the time, I don't have a cell phone or anything.

Tired_Of_You
06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
oh yeah what to bring, that's something I need to make sure of also.http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10864&page=1 You should read that.

btw do you think earplugs would be a smart idea? I love how loud the concerts are but I've never been too up close before. If I am really close up, should I protect my poor little ears :(You definately should bring earplugs with you. I have problems with my ears (earing buzzing and ringing, I think it is called tinnitus in English) because I was too near of the speakers at a show once. If you wear them you won't have any problems. It's been 2 years I have that problem and I've been to many shows after that with earplugs and my ears didn't suffer more. Don't say that you'll look stupid. Earplugs are important.

another edit: crap, one more question. What the hell time is everything at? Is there a link at the warped website when this thing starts and ends and the time all the bands are playing at. Yeah I have no problem with getting picked up by parents or friend but if I have to know the time, I don't have a cell phone or anything.I think you'll be able to know that only at the show. You could call them with a public phone.

For the questions I didn't answer, I'm sure other people will be able to help you with that.

original_prankster
06-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I say 'go'! I've never been either, and it has some bands that I like. The Offspring, My Chemical Romance, Dropkick Murphys, Relient K, Starting Line, Transplants, Fall Out Boy, Hawthorne Heights... I can't wait to go! :D

Little_Miss_1565
06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Anyone over 5'8", especially anyone over 6", should take pity on us smaller creatures and not push to the front. There is nothing that sucks more than putting all your energy into getting as close as you can, only to end up seeing less than you did when you started because you're stuck behind a basketball player...

Betty
06-28-2005, 08:19 PM
-Bring earplugs... you can decide whether you want to wear them when you hear how loud it is.

-It's really easy to get to the front. There are two main stages that alternate bands so watch the band on the stage before Offspring and get as near to the front as you can then when they finish and their fans leave, try and get a spot at the barricade. Wait the half hour for the band on the other stage to finish. If you take pity, let a few short girls/boys in front of you.

-Merch is pretty decent... t-shirts were $15 US... there was some nice stuff.

-I don't think it would be dangerous at all. It's a bunch of 14 year old teenage girls there to see My Chemical Romance or whatever.

-Water is REALLY expensive... probably $3 - $4 US. Food is really expensive too. You can bring one or more unopened bottles... possibly try to hide an extra cap if you wanna seal it.

-Wallet? Not sure. I had mine in my purse... and it was there when I bought food and gone the next day... but I had quite a long night so I'm not sure what happened.

-I always bring a disposable camera if I intend to go crazy in the crowd... no big deal if you lose it.

-Should you go? Offspring is doing awesome. Playing a solid setlist and were throwing in some awesome songs too. I watched Strung Out and they were good too... played a lot of old stuff which is what I wanted to hear. They sound a lot more hardcore live though and I'm not the biggest fan of that... I prefer singing to screaming.

leo3375
06-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I went stag to the Warped Tour 2 years in a row. It's always fun to meet new people. Even though I didn't have anyone to watch my stuff, I didn't have to worry about keeping people waiting or losing anyone.

Earplugs are a must. If you don't bring any, they should have a booth selling things like earplugs, aspirin, band-aids, etc.

As for meeting the bands, check their merch booths for Meet-n-Greet info, or hang out by the buses, or simply be in the right place at the right time.

Tired_Of_You
06-28-2005, 09:09 PM
simply be in the right place at the right time.Yeah, that's really easy to do. ;)

Manic subsidal
06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks a lot guys, you've been really helpful, I appreciate it.

But um.. I'm kind of wondering if I should bring a backpack or not. Because I was reading the "Things to Bring to the Warped Tour" thread and it said bring a lot of water. I definitely think that would be a good idea but is bringing a backpack such a good idea? Remember, I know nothing about warped tour. I'm just thinking it'd be so easy for someone to come up and grab stuff out of it.

Oh yeah and I still don't know about the time. When did/does warped tour start/end for you guys? Is it all the same? I'm going to try to look around their website again but my computer has been really slow lately, hopefully this post will come through :rolleyes: Where would you find the times that shows when all the bands are playing? Would it be posted somewhere at the actual warped tour? Ha maybe I should go to this with someone. Did you guys go alone?

I think I'll just stay at the north stage the whole time. Here's the setlist and my opinions about the bands -

Transplants - Don't really care so much about them. I guess it'd be cool to see them live though.
Fall Out Boy - Probably the worst one I would say
My Chemical Romance - I actually never listened to these guys. Noodles likes them so I'll give them a try. I have a very bad feeling about this though.
The Offspring - This band is totally gay
Strung Out - I like the fast guitar playing
Thrice - Not really into them but I'll see them for the hell of it.
Dropkick Murphys - Don't like these guys but maybe they'll be good live
No Use For A Name - this band is kind of like strung out right? I might like them

Little_Miss_1565
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
If you bring a backpack, I wouldn't advise putting anything it it that you'd miss if it got stolen.

Carrying the least would be the most advisable, I think.

original_prankster
06-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Anyone over 5'8", especially anyone over 6", should take pity on us smaller creatures and not push to the front. There is nothing that sucks more than putting all your energy into getting as close as you can, only to end up seeing less than you did when you started because you're stuck behind a basketball player...
I'm 5'9". I will show no mercy! Mwahahahaha! :p

If someone can't see behind me, I guess I'll just move back a bit.

pyrosk8er
06-28-2005, 09:30 PM
I brought a backpack. Mine was really small though so I was only able to fit two bottles of water and a gatorade in it.

I would suggest you bring gatorade along with your water because its pretty easy to get dehydrated and the gatorade helped me a lot. It's also good to freeze some of your water the night before so it'll be cool/cold when you really need it.

Starts at Noon I guess. It did here. Gates at 11. I think its over around 8.30 or 9.

There's a giant thing at the show with the times listed and everything. You cant miss it. It's at the show because the times change each day.

I went with my friend but we ended up separated all day, and I'm a small girl, but I was fine. People dont really bother you. so you'll be fine.

leo3375
06-28-2005, 09:37 PM
I put this in the other thread but here's my Wapred Tour Survival kit:

Backpack or messenger bag (leave small purses and bags at home)
Sketchbook (hey, I might get creative!)
Pencils (for said sketchbook)
Water (at least 2L, unopened, frozen for at least 24 hours)
Earplugs (it gets loud!)
Cell phone (to call people, take pictures, brag, etc. Maybe I can get my mom to talk to Dexter this time!)
Disposable cameras (it's a lot less expensive than a digital camera)
Money!!! (Ladies, keep it on you in a wallet at all times)
Sharpies (Never know who you'll run into!)
CD liner notes (in case you run into someone from your favorite bands)
Sunglasses (self-explanatory)
A hat or bandanna (keeps your head cool)

Keep the money, cell phone. and cameras on you while the rest of the stuff can go in your bag. Dress in lightweight, comfortable clothing and wear lace-up shoes (don't want your toes to get crushed or to lose your shoes!). Above all, check the weather forecast so that you can dress accordingly and plan ahead properly. You don't want to plan for 65? weather and find out it's going to get up to 99?, do you?

rocketman
06-28-2005, 10:25 PM
i really wanna go too...but i really want someone to go with me (i'm not really comfortable around new people). My friend backed out and I might ask my older bro, he likes the offspring but not sure if he'll like being there. My show is coming July 24 so I better ask him.

sebastienfan
06-29-2005, 12:53 AM
I have my tickets for vans warped tour next July 29th for montreal.im kinda afraid of what it is going to look like.im not the kind of guy who likes to jump around and go in muchpit but I want to get close as I can.I dont even know if I still want to go,and I have 2 spare tickets...two of my friends canot go with me anymore.vans warped tour looks to crazy for me.

vintagepunkrock7
06-29-2005, 06:23 PM
i would say definitely go, alot of people are suggesting earplugs, but the loudenes never bothered me before i love it, but i am going to give that suggestion to my friend i am bringing. i am also only going to really see 2 bands, the offspring and the horrorpops, but i am interested to hear all the other bands i have never heard before. as far as bringing water with you, be careful, alot of venues wont let you and if they do they will take your caps, i would call the venue about a week before just to make sure, thats what i will be doing. i think carrying the least amount of stuff with you is the best advice i have seen so far, one, it could get stolen and two, you will most likely accumulate some stuff as the day goes by. i really like the things to bring to warped thread it is/was very helpful.