PDA

View Full Version : So, Dexter likes Hip Hop?

samr
11-11-2004, 01:25 PM
I wonder If he's heard of Gorillaz.

punk_flamingo
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Gorillaz are hiphop now?

MirandaV
11-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Where have I heard that name before..

Obie2trice
11-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Gorillaz had a hit in Holland a few years ago, Didn`t like the album though

punk_flamingo
11-11-2004, 04:15 PM
they sung that weird trippy clint eastwood song.

It has a weird trippy video clip that (strangely enough) has gorilla's in it. In animation.

*waves her fingers above her eyes in a trippy like manner*

SuperKnux
11-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Gorillaz own it up.

Their first album (before the remix albums) is very good. I liked it, and can't wait for a new album.

Chris
11-11-2004, 04:35 PM
try listening to some jurassic 5 to start off with if we're talking about hip hop here....

Tocchi
11-11-2004, 06:34 PM
before the Clint Eastwood track was remixed it was sorta rap, then it got cut down to size suitable for radio, well that's what happened in Aus

samr
11-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Well, they arent really rap, Except for the Tracks with Del The Funky Homosapien (Clint Eastwood)

They are just cool. Relaxing.

BREAK
11-11-2004, 11:22 PM
When a guy like Dexter says he likes hip hop, you can be sure that he means Eminem & the Streets.

And the Beastie Boys, of course.

too_close_to_see
11-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Gorillaz are hiphop now?

Exactly what i was thinking.

pie.
11-12-2004, 02:51 AM
there you go...everyone hates hip hop...take that...

now quick, join my forum.
www.troublesome04.co.nr

greencows12
11-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Gorillaz has a guy named Noodle.
The Offspring has Noodles.

Rabbit209
11-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Gorillaz were once one of my favorite band. i bought there cd (Gorillaz) about 4 days after it came out. i really wouldnt call them rap, but there not really all the way punk ( as states the title of #7 on the cd) theyre kind of a mixture of both. Eminem is a pretty good singer and is still on my top 15 singers/bands list. as for the beastie boys there #1 on my fag-ass-cock-sucking-threesome-queer-white-wanna-be-rappers.

Rabbit209
11-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Noodle form the band GorillaZ is a little chinese women probaly about the age of 8 (not in real life but what it looks like on the cartoon drawlings of the band and what not)

Little_Miss_1565
11-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Gorillaz ARE hip hop, and anyone who tries to argue differently is living in denial.

The members of Gorillaz actually ARE those cartoons. That's part of the whole schtick. In real life it's Dan "The Automator" Nakamura with Damon Albarn of Blur a bunch of guests. When they play one of their rare live shows, the people play behind a screen while other screens show projected images of the cartoon people--including Noodle and all them.

If you like Gorillaz, you should check out Handsome Boy Modeling School, which is Dan the Automator with Prince Paul. They're fucking awesome.

Zugg Island Convict
11-15-2004, 03:45 PM
When a guy like Dexter says he likes hip hop, you can be sure that he means Eminem & the Streets.

And the Beastie Boys, of course.

actually he said hies favourites were nwa and cypress hill......fine choice sir dexter holland..... :D

ihatechrissneed
11-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Gorillaz has a guy named Noodle.
The Offspring has Noodles.
oh thanks mr state-the-obvious

Vera
11-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Where's the Gorillaz topic? I'll listen to anything with Damon Albarn singing.

Subsidal
11-19-2004, 12:59 PM
I can't say if Dexter likes Hip Hop, but he likes Barry Manilow :rolleyes:

nitropenguin!
11-19-2004, 06:43 PM
I missed something... never knew Dex like hip-hop :confused: I'm disappointed. If he means the Beastie Boys, I'll let it slide.

killboybowerhead
11-19-2004, 08:13 PM
I think hip hop and punk are a lot alike
But yeah i dont listen to hip hop but i can see i guess why some might like my friend is into the underground stuff and that is the same as me being into underground punk.

Little_Miss_1565
11-19-2004, 08:39 PM
I think hip hop and punk are a lot alike

HELL YES THEY ARE.

Both have underground scenes turning out some amazing, amazing stuff. And both have their corporate whores.

greencows12
11-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Noodle form the band GorillaZ is a little chinese women probaly about the age of 8 (not in real life but what it looks like on the cartoon drawlings of the band and what not)I found this on a GORILLAZ fan page:

http://fans.gorillaz.com/images/structure/biography.gifhttp://fans.gorillaz.com/images/structure/noodle.gifhttp://fans.gorillaz.com/images/structure/hyphen-wonb.gifhttp://fans.gorillaz.com/images/structure/whitedot.gif

Born: Osaka
Influences: Haiku poetry, Loa Zi, Richie Sambora Noodle arrived in a crate. She's a kick ass riffmeister, the Asian axe princess. Doesn't speak more than a word of English, and that word is "Noodle."

Martial Arts expert, little ice maiden, she looks at the world through unfazed eyes.

Usually found with Russel. Special zen bond with 2D. Tickled by Murdoc's desperation.

Irrepressible. Inscrutable. Irresistable.

Likes: Power Puff Girls, Tomagatchi pets, Pokemon, Yo-yo's, her new radio headphone hat, rice and noodles.

babycraze{Angie}
11-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Gorillaz? THEY MUTHAFUCKIN' KICK ASS, that's all i can say, but maaaaaannnnnnnn, yall wanna get in2 sum real REAL Hip-Hop, yall just GOTTA listen to Talib Kweli, Mos Def, The Beatnuts, and sum De La Soul shit man im telling u, u guys gotta hear their stuff, they're fuckin' gooooooooooooood, i know a lot of stuff about differ types of music, just not cuney shit (meaning country music crap I HATE IT!) Talib Kweli's song featuring Mary J. Blige "I Try" is fuckin' badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i LOVE that piano. he's a must get. and Kanye is good too. cuz he speaks truth and that's wat makes him true Hip-Hop, plus he's from where i live (Chicago.) :D

BREAK
11-20-2004, 12:13 AM
actually he said hies favourites were nwa and cypress hill......fine choice sir dexter holland..... :D

Doesn't change the fact that he's a fuckin' cracka-ass-cracka who couldn't really understand hip hop if he spent ten years in the hood smoking crack rocks & having gats shoved into his face on a regular basis.

While we're on the subject, Wu-Tang's 1st album = the pinnacle of all rap music ever.

GBH2
11-20-2004, 08:17 AM
HELL YES THEY ARE.

Both have underground scenes turning out some amazing, amazing stuff. And both have their corporate whores.

hip hop sucks. it's just a bunch of stoned losers who never learned to play a guitar or drums, so the just rhyme and talk fast. Punk actually takes musical and songwriting talent. sorry if i offended anyone, but hip hop sucks

BREAK
11-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey, let's play a game. I'm gonna pretend to be a jazz snob making a post regarding punk music:

"Punk fucking sucks & is boring, all they do is play the same old goddamn 3/4-chord progressions in shitty verse-chorus-verse patterns in straight 4/4 the whole time, it doesn't take any musical talent to do that. And then they don't even bother to include any additional instrumentation into their songs, just stupid guitar bass & drums that anybody with two hands can play. Plus they don't even bother having good singing voices, so the end result is just this huge pile of sonic shit that hurts your ears & makes you wish you were deaf."

Now, does that make me sound cool, cultured & musically knowledgable? Of course not. Is my argument every bit as ridiculous & ignorant as GBH2's opinion on hip hop? Of course.

GBH2
11-20-2004, 02:21 PM
im not trying to sound cool, im stating my opinion. do you honestly think it takes a whole lot of skill to rap

babycraze{Angie}
11-20-2004, 04:53 PM
mainstream stuff like faggot-ass Chingy bullshit is the kind of shit that fuckin' killed true Hip-Hop, Wu-Tang Clan kix ass and so many others like The X-Ecutioners are fuckin' badass, don't be listenin' to ne bullshit like Chingy crap and Lil' Jon Ying Yang Twins and them other fake-ass wannbes

acgc2002
11-20-2004, 05:17 PM
I read somewhere Dexter likes Hip Hop, so it is not a surprise... but I was quite shocked with this declaration when I read it for the first time!!!

babycraze{Angie}
11-20-2004, 05:21 PM
BUT! true Hip-Hop is still survivin' just like punk music is becuz it lives through the music, Hip-Hop is more of underground, same as punk so really, they're kinda the same in just their ways.

BREAK
11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
do you honestly think it takes a whole lot of skill to rap

Of course it takes a whole lot of skill & talent...to do it WELL. Can YOU do it?

The Cheshire Cat
11-20-2004, 05:45 PM
I think I'd have a lot more respect for hip-hop and rap if they didn't just take a song and rap over it instead of writing their own beat. How hard is it to write a beat?

Little_Miss_1565
11-20-2004, 06:34 PM
im not trying to sound cool, im stating my opinion. do you honestly think it takes a whole lot of skill to rap

YES.

Rapping is HARD. You try it, cracka. Try to do it in public and have people not laugh at you. I'm in a singing group at school and there's one part where I have to rap. It took a long fucking time for me to get it down, because there are so many subtleties to it. It's so much to take in, let alone reproduce well. But now, this slightly asian white girl can rap like a motherfucker, and you better believe my audience knows it.

How's your command of the English language? Can you put tons of seemingly disparate words into a framework that both makes sense and sounds siiiick?

And those beats!! Counterrhythms, hangs...there's shit in there you don't learn until Music Theory 300-something in college.

Do you honestly think it's hard to do punk? Punk is awesome, but let's not kid ourselves. Get off it.

babycraze{Angie}
11-20-2004, 07:00 PM
well for shit man, come on, Gorillaz peeps are fuckin' asian as wat i heard, besides, they kick ass (asians) after u see wat they can fuckin' do.....shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit they're fuckin' CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

GBH2
11-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Of course it takes a whole lot of skill & talent...to do it WELL. Can YOU do it?

question is why the hell would i want to?!?

killboybowerhead
11-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Who cares how hard it is... its all music yeah i dont care for rap except some beastie boys but i mean i think if the music is genuine it deserves some respect.

BREAK
11-21-2004, 01:55 AM
question is why the hell would i want to?!?

To prove how easy it is? That it takes no talent or skill whatsoever?

wheelchairman
11-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Why try BREAK? You'll never convince the children sitting on the second floor of their homes wearing designer clothes, that rap has 1000x the social validity that punk does today.

I hate every single one of you.

killboybowerhead
11-21-2004, 11:15 AM
woah there i agree it is music and it takes talent but as for social validity more like social stupidity... a lot of people who listen to rap once the cd is is outta date they toss it and listen to the next big thing.. music valid but the points they make invalid. MAybe because it is popular shows how retarded it is.

wheelchairman
11-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Fuck what would you know about 'a lot of people who listen to hiphop.' I'm assuming you mean your group of middle and upper class friends? There is always a thin line between actual rebels, and the middle class adolators of these rebels.

As for social stupidity, have you ever read the lyrics to Self Esteem?

BREAK
11-21-2004, 11:47 AM
... a lot of people who listen to rap once the cd is is outta date they toss it and listen to the next big thing...

Kinda like today's mainstream punk listeners?

You're stupid.

Little_Miss_1565
11-21-2004, 12:32 PM
woah there i agree it is music and it takes talent but as for social validity more like social stupidity... a lot of people who listen to rap once the cd is is outta date they toss it and listen to the next big thing.. music valid but the points they make invalid. MAybe because it is popular shows how retarded it is.

People do the same thing with 'punk.' But it's your last sentence that really does it. That attitude is just as must a pose as anything you're rallying against. Want to talk about invalidity now?

EDIT: Somehow missed WCM and Break's posts. Sorry.

Mr. Noodles
12-20-2004, 12:00 PM
hip hop sucks. it's just a bunch of stoned losers who never learned to play a guitar or drums, so the just rhyme and talk fast. Punk actually takes musical and songwriting talent. sorry if i offended anyone, but hip hop sucks
I agree about the song writting thing but I think hiphop is all right.

Venezuelan_Nightmare
12-20-2004, 12:20 PM
hip hop it`s just music just another music:S.
but im not razist or something if you look you can see that all hip hop peoples is black:S it`s just a observations don`t be mad with me (mtv music awards roma)