PDA

View Full Version : Mormonism

stretts
07-01-2005, 02:02 AM
I know this isnt really the right place, i guess its kinda religios politics?

Anyway are their any mormons on the board or if not what are peoples view on them? I have a mormon girlfriend and what they do and everything just freaks me out. Her parents dont know about me. One time they invited me to this thing her church does and they sang some hymns or whatever and some of the lyrics were "come to zion, come to zion" persoanlly i was freaked out, but anyway yeh discuss if u feel the need too!

Jebus
07-01-2005, 03:19 AM
I despise mormons with a passion. When I say mormons, I just mean the annoying proselytizers. I don't feel like getting into details.

barangatang
07-01-2005, 03:33 AM
read this book-ww.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400032806/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/103-7260351-5811819

Little_Miss_1565
07-01-2005, 08:42 AM
One of my best friends is mormon. It's just her thign, she was raised in the church. She's actually thinking abotu leaving. I can't say I approve of the belief system, as it smacks of cultism to me, but I just try to leave it well enough alone.

The Aquabats! are all mormons.

Sin Studly
07-01-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a mormon girlfriend

One question. Why?

Sin Studly
07-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Well, latter day saints are alright by my standards, what has always puzzled me is polygamy & year-round missions, that's too laxist & too stringent at once...

Maria

Polygamy is for warrior cultures, and weird cults whose sleazy founders wanna bone lots of chicks.

ShadowPyro
07-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I thought this said moronism at first glance.

I'm to ignorant on this subject to have a valid opinion on this subject.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I had a friend who converted from Catholicism to Mormonism and grew to hate it within a year. Nice one.

Jebus
07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, latter day saints are alright by my standards, what has always puzzled me is polygamy & year-round missions, that's too laxist & too stringent at once...

Maria
I don't think polygamy is practiced in the Mormon religion anymore. It was common back in the day though.

samr
07-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Polygamy is a thing of the past for mormons, but a group of them broke off of the religion and formed their own polygamist group.

SkunkIt
07-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Right now, I don't know what reigion I want to be, because I'm not sure what to believe and my beliefs don't go into one category, so I'm stuck with Catholic and I've been having recent nightmares about being in a Catholic school again and them trying to change me into thinking what they do.

What I do know is if I ever choose to change religions, it won't be Mormon, Born Again Christian, or Islam.

I'd rather be Catholic than be those religions, because Catholics can wear whatever they want except in school and they can drink caffiene. I don't go to church or practice my religion, but I think it's still better than being Mormon or those other religions.

original_prankster
07-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm a mormon. I don't do anything the church tells me, but I'm a mormon. POLYGAMY WAS REMOVED FROM OUR DOCRINE A LONG TIME AGO. However, we still do year-round missions. I will never do one. I'd rather go to college. So, I, of course, don't see ANYTHING wrong with mormons. I may not agree with most of the stuff our leaders say, but there's nothing wrong with us.

One thing I find incredibly rediculous about my religion is being told caffeine is bad. I think that's pure stupidity. *Drinks a large glass of Mountain Dew...*

Another thing. R-rated flicks are considered bad too. Heh. I've got a ton of R-rated movies and I've seen about 4 in the theater. I think that is also really stupid.

Music with cursing is supposed to be bad. Seeing as I'm on The Offspring's message board, I find that stupid too.

SkunkIt
07-01-2005, 09:23 PM
I was born Catholic and I'm stuck with it. I'm against people not being able to enjoy what you want. My own theory on religion: If God loves you, he'll want you to be happy, so do what makes you happy. And if you think there is no God, at least you'll die happy.

0r4ng3
07-01-2005, 09:24 PM
You only don't see anything wrong with mourmons because you don't seem to practice mourmonism at all.

samr
07-01-2005, 09:26 PM
I'd rather be Catholic than be those religions, because Catholics can wear whatever they want except in school and they can drink caffiene. I don't go to church or practice my religion, but I think it's still better than being Mormon or those other religions.

I thought religion was about worshipping a higher power, not whining about what you can or cant do.

original_prankster
07-01-2005, 09:26 PM
0r4ng3...

Heh...that's about right. :o (They need a better blushing emoticon than this)

SkunkIt
07-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I thought religion was about worshipping a higher power, not whining about what you can or cant do.Alot of religions have this crap about what you can or can't do, but I just think God is there and I do whatever makes me happy.

Little_Miss_1565
07-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I thought religion was about worshipping a higher power, not whining about what you can or cant do.

That's faith. Religion is all about telling you what you can and cannot do.

samr
07-01-2005, 09:33 PM
That's faith. Religion is all about telling you what you can and cannot do.

No, faith is all about believing.

coke_a_holic
07-01-2005, 10:00 PM
All SkunkIt's saying is that she would much rather be in a more lenient religion than a strict one. She wasn't whining about anything, she just said she's thankful she can wear what she wants and drink caffeinated beverages. Even though religion is about worshipping a higher being, I suppose one would rather do that while enjoying their lives without restraints.

Jebus
07-01-2005, 10:01 PM
One thing I find incredibly rediculous about my religion is being told caffeine is bad. I think that's pure stupidity. *Drinks a large glass of Mountain Dew...*.
I don't think Mountain Dew has caffeine. or does it? The only soft drink with caffeine that I know of is coke.

I'd rather be Catholic than be those religions, because Catholics can wear whatever they want except in school and they can drink caffiene.
Catholics are still against contraception which is pretty stupid if you ask me, which is just as stupid as caffeine being bad.

stretts
07-01-2005, 11:09 PM
everyone needs to believe in an idiology, some are very obscure, mormonism ideology i find is crazy. But some other religions have very strict rules that are also very out there and difficult to get your head around.

CaptainStanky
07-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I dont care if people are mormens, jews, christians, muslims, or w/e it doesnt matter....Although I hear many a time that people think that mormens are crazed and or their religion holds no truths...But question your own religion for a moment, according to "common sense" and "facts" do you really believe that a burning bush can talk? Or that a city can be overrun by frogs?? Im not saying it cant happen...Im just saying question it and maybe...Just maybe, there is hope for you yet