PDA

View Full Version : Know where roads are

sKratch
07-01-2005, 08:50 AM
It really ticks me off when people don't know the names of any streets around where they live. I have some friends like this and it's impossible to get directions to anywhere from them. Seriously, though, how can you grow up somewhere and be oblivious to the names of streets? It's probably not a problem if you live in the city or something, but us suburban whities get it real tough. Does anyone else know people like this?

Nina
07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
yes i do.... myself.
i've always lived in the city, but at three different places, and seriously, sometimes its just difficult for me. its not like i dont CARE, i just cannot memorize these things. i also dont drive, maybe thats it.

Tizzalicious
07-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I don't know most of the streets here...simply because there's no reason to. I know how to get everywhere, but there's no point in knowing what the streets are called. I know some, but now all of them...they are confusing here too, because they all start and end they same...the entire neighbourhood, so I mix them all up.

Tijs
07-01-2005, 08:59 AM
I only know the names of the main roads. Maybe some smaller roads..
A few years ago I lived in a neighbourhood where the streetnames are numbers. Now that's confusing.

RXP
07-01-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't know any roads but can tell you bus routes and tube routes. But that's cause I use public transport more than cars. So do most where I live.

Mota Boy
07-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm like that - I never bother to remember the names of streets, even the numbers of interstatse trip me up. I'll say something like "OK, drive down I-20... well, I-20 and that other interstate that merges with I-20 for a while. Then, when they split, you want to get off on whichever one heads towards Atlanta."

Personally, I'm great with directions - it's the rare occasion when I get confused about which direction I'm heading, but I just mark my route, as many men do, using visible landmarks to guide the way. This can create problems when I attempt to give directions.

I also don't know the names of some of my own relatives.

Nina
07-01-2005, 09:12 AM
but I just mark my route, as many men do [...]

...pissing on bushes and corners and then use your nose to smell the direction.

yup. it was indeed what i expected to hear.

0r4ng3
07-01-2005, 09:24 AM
In the city, streets are numbered, so if you ever ask "What's the street after 14th street?", the answer is "Duh, 15th street". There's even a neighborhood or two where the streets are in alphabetical order. Unfortunately, that's not the case where I live.

Vicky
07-01-2005, 09:26 AM
I know all the local streetnames, up until about 30mins away from my house in every direction, bus routes and times from memory for 4 towns/cities, and i know my way around each of those towns/cities like the back of my hand :s

Tijs
07-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Nah it's not like that, here's a map of the neighbourhood I lived back then:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6808/numberhood4dy.jpg

It makes no sense.

0r4ng3
07-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Nah it's not like that, here's a map of the neighbourhood I lived back then:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6808/numberhood4dy.jpg

It makes no sense.
That reminds me of a wooden plank when termites are done with it.

Nina
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Whenever I'm asked for directions I fumble for an answer. Somehow the names can't enter my brain & register with the actual mapping...

i usually dont give a fuck, but this must be the most complicated way of explaining what you've just said. wow.

Nina
07-01-2005, 10:08 AM
do YOU dont get it or do *I* supposingly dont get it in your eyes?

Nina
07-01-2005, 10:16 AM
i did understand it, you just expressed it in the most complicated way possible.
and yes, much better.

Kerr
07-01-2005, 10:31 AM
It really ticks me off when people don't know the names of any streets around where they live. I have some friends like this and it's impossible to get directions to anywhere from them. Seriously, though, how can you grow up somewhere and be oblivious to the names of streets? It's probably not a problem if you live in the city or something, but us suburban whities get it real tough. Does anyone else know people like this?
Precisely, I know my neighbourhood very well.

HornyPope
07-01-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm great at remembering street names, i'm just bad at remembering where they are or how to get to them. Generally I manage though.

Kerr
07-01-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm great at remembering street names, i'm just bad at remembering where they are or how to get to them. Generally I manage though.
I'm rubbish at directions in general, but street names aren't too hard to remember.

Betty
07-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I've always known the places around my neighborhood... maybe because I walked down every possible street I could at one point or another.

But I never knew anywhere else in the city or how to get there until I started driving since there was no need. If somebody else is driving, I find it very hard to pay attention to where I'm going.

I'll find out how good I am at directions when I actually start driving around the major highways in the Toronto region and whether I can figure out what I'm doing or not.

SicN Twisted
07-01-2005, 12:43 PM
I know my city like the back of my hand, but it's unfair to give myself credit because it's like a numbered grid. Other cities and towns I live in have been much more confusing. I have a pretty good knowledge of the interstate highways around the entirey of both of countries I grew up in.

the_GoDdEsS
07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Depends, really. But I generally like being asked and communicating with random people. In our capital city I don't know all the street names but I'm quite familiar with the public transport.
And surprisingly I get my way round a city real fast. Back in Berlin I used to give directions to other tourists or people after a month or two of staying there myself. Also the people were awesome when I myself was holding a map trying to find something they came up to me and offered help. Blah, I love cities. They're like labyrinths you have to explore.

nieh
07-01-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't know street names at all, I know things better by landmarks and tend to give directions that way (when mapquest is not sufficient).

Vera
07-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Hahahhaha, Tijs. That's so weird.

"So, where you live in?"
"Weezenhof."
"No shit! Me too!"
"Oh god, we're neighbors!"

And in reality these people live like 8 miles away from each other.

Aimeht
07-01-2005, 03:10 PM
I know where I live and that is all I need to know.