PDA

View Full Version : Live 8

Mano
07-02-2005, 08:11 PM
The best band, in the biggest show... Would be perfect. Why Offspring didn't help Live 8 by going there and singing for a good thing like what Live 8 is supporting?
It would be the best show in the Earth, right?

PS.: If you come to Brazil I run away of my house to watch your show! :D

Not Ozymandias
07-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't want my band to play at such a thing, it's just an excuse to seem like "good guys" and pay lip service to a cause without actually doing anything about it.
See also: Aid, Live

mrconeman
07-02-2005, 09:20 PM
I did watch it today and thought if Offspring would suit being at it, I think they just plain wouldnt work at a show like that.

Pink Floyd were un beleivably good though :D

clokey43
07-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Na........offspring wouldnt work at the Show. I agree, Pink floyed were excellent!

Pitty there was alot of crap there as well. Gd cause thou!

Disasterpiece #8
07-03-2005, 02:03 PM
I didnt see Pink Floyd, but i really liked U2. Yeah, i dont think offspring would play at these shows.

clokey43
07-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I recon they will ring live 8 on dvd so u can d/l n c pink floyd! It not necissarily (sp) that they wont play jus that their style isnt right for it! Mind you i feel a bullet to the head of Joss Stone would be positive move!

darko
07-03-2005, 05:57 PM
you know what i find most amusing about live8, in this country ANYWAY, all the coverage on BBC1, between that and Tennis, and then Live 8 in other countries has been push to ITV3 and 4, a completey different channel, and not everyones gets

billiejoe87
07-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I thought Robbie Williams and REM were awesome. I missed Green day's performance!!

ermdevi@tion
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Am I the only one who thought The Who were rockin'?

Paddy!
07-03-2005, 06:48 PM
i was at live 8 in london!!! :D offspring shudda come to tho :( allso, when audioslave came up on the screens, y did know one know who they where?!?! goddamn londoners they suck so bad. i hate london lol. COME TO BRISTOL OFFSPRING!!! ASHTON GATE!!! ELTON JOHN DID! SO ITS NOT THAT SHIT! ...there not listning r they....

Little_Miss_1565
07-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Live 8 is the most useless shitpile ever.

Intended to "raise awareness" for African hunger? Awareness, maybe, but not a damn dime. I think it ended up raising more awareness that the members of Pink Floyd are still alive. I just hope someone was kind enough to send some of the bands' craft service leftovers to Africa to help feed a few people.

And the bands received designer goods-loaded gift baskets! Tell me, was anyone thinking about actually helping Africa at all?

T-6005
07-04-2005, 01:05 AM
I thought the commercials being played were very well done.

With the fingersnapping and all. Hardly a new idea, but really effective.

Skip91
07-04-2005, 01:23 AM
They raised a bit of money for africa, but The real problem is the government over there. Maybe If they could get a good kick up the arse, The place could be run a little better. But I think live8 was a good Idea and they sure had mad bands playing.

HornyPope
07-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Umm 1565, their intent was to go beyond collecting charity, with the "We dont want your money- we want you" for slogans and all. Read it up on the website.

clokey43
07-04-2005, 01:59 AM
you know what i find most amusing about live8, in this country ANYWAY, all the coverage on BBC1, between that and Tennis, and then Live 8 in other countries has been push to ITV3 and 4, a completey different channel, and not everyones gets

Yeah, British intellect!

barangatang
07-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Live 8 is the most useless shitpile ever.

Intended to "raise awareness" for African hunger? Awareness, maybe, but not a damn dime. I think it ended up raising more awareness that the members of Pink Floyd are still alive. I just hope someone was kind enough to send some of the bands' craft service leftovers to Africa to help feed a few people.

And the bands received designer goods-loaded gift baskets! Tell me, was anyone thinking about actually helping Africa at all?

i guess they think that maybe ppl will donate.............?

barangatang
07-04-2005, 02:07 AM
dying kids in africa don't need awareness the need money for food and medicine awareness won't do shit for them

FeaR
07-04-2005, 03:38 AM
dying kids in africa don't need awareness the need money for food and medicine awareness won't do shit for them

right

+1

T-6005
07-04-2005, 05:09 AM
If you don't want to do anything by yourself but think something should be done, just "raise awareness" so that other people can do it and you can say you've helped.

clokey43
07-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Ha ha ha, yeah tahts what its all about lol :D

Little_Miss_1565
07-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Umm 1565, their intent was to go beyond collecting charity, with the "We dont want your money- we want you" for slogans and all. Read it up on the website.

I'm still disgusted by the whole tawdry affair.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-05-2005, 09:19 PM
I think it ended up raising more awareness that the members of Pink Floyd are still alive.

That was damn awesome.

Live 8 has thrown up a hell of a lot of cynicism among people, about celebrity motives. I personally haven't made my mind up yet.

clokey43
07-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Let me help you along a bit. Never in the History of celebrities has it been known for one to do anything for PURE help. Its always ended up that they have gained something out of it! Publicity whatever. OK geldof (sp) might be an exception but not everyone else. Its 'raising awarness' yeah for them!

After that cheery note, we all love celebs though, souldnt go through life with out one to take piss out off! lol

ermdevi@tion
07-06-2005, 05:38 PM
On the topic of Live8/G8, what is the press coverage of the G8 like around the world? I live about 30 miles from where the summit is taking place, so we get a lot of information on local TV etc. Today, protestors breached the perimeter fence and tried to bring down a police control tower, unsuccessfully. What do you think, or even know of the police tactics seen so far at the demostrations?

Little_Miss_1565
07-06-2005, 05:46 PM
On the topic of Live8/G8, what is the press coverage of the G8 like around the world? I live about 30 miles from where the summit is taking place, so we get a lot of information on local TV etc. Today, protestors breached the perimeter fence and tried to bring down a police control tower, unsuccessfully. What do you think, or even know of the police tactics seen so far at the demostrations?

US media doesn't pay nearly as much attention as it needs to international affairs like G8. Five bucks says many of those who watched the live feed of Live 8 on MTV/VH1/whateverthefuckelse aren't making the connection between G8 and Live 8. On cnn.com, they covered the protest and made it sound like the police were quashing a smelly hippie rebellion. I don't like American mainstream media.

clokey43
07-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Not to bad down good old South England. Good point is that we dont have to much coverage because I hate it when one subject dominates the news unless it is worth it.

ermdevi@tion
07-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Well, it wasn't really a hippie rebellion. There were a lot of Black Bloc-ers (or wannabe Black Bloc-ers, maybe) who took to randomly smashing shit up in a total other town. I mean, I don't see anything wrong with a few bricks through McDonald's or GAP's or Burger King's windows, but when people's cars and homes are targetted at 3am, then I fail to see how that will help any cause.

The actual G8 march passed through a tiny village called Auchterarder, pop.2000 or something like that. There were a lot of hippies and non-hippies there who were protesting totally peacefully today until the perimeter was breached. Then the police were setting dogs into the crowd and using mounted charges on demonstrators. That really pisses me off, a lot. Indiscriminate policing methods just cause these situations to escalate. Mind you, it's nothing on level of past G8 meetings, Genoa, for example.

Edit: @ Clokey. We have around 2000 english officers up here presently. There has been a lot of complaint about their behaviour, especially with regards to covering their serial numbers and refusing to give out their names. I think one of our Green MSPs is planning to take action against some forces.

An amusing incident also occurred at Gleneagles today. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4658327.stm)

Mano
07-06-2005, 09:19 PM
The "Offspring wouldn't be ok in such event" isn't real for me... They could very well go there and show they care :)
Even if they look like "good boys". Consequences. I think they should have shown to other bands what they know :D

Betty
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Apparently Pink Floyd album sales were up some 1000 percent.

clokey43
07-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Exactly my point, self gain, maybe if they donated half the profits to the debts, it would be believeable. No they jus wanna make money!

ermdevi@tion
07-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Some more G8 newsy stuff.

I have got some video footage of officers making a night-time raid on a protestors' camp. In this, it is clearly seen that the officers have removed their ID tags on their uniforms. They make an arrest giving no reason, no location where the detainee will be taken to and refuse to give names/ID numbers. The initial van they bundle the man into does have an ID code in its window. This is recorded on video and so its seems the police's plan changes. They remove the man from the van and call a second, non-marked van. The man is subsequently moved into this van and driven away.

What do you think of this? And perhaps someone knowledgeable in British law oculd give me the exacts of this? To my knowledge, that is a seriously illegal arrest. I think the Dissent! network may be working on it already, but just looking for more opinions.