PDA

View Full Version : Bowling For Columbine

Mannen som blev en gris
07-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I saw it yesterday. Im speechless. I mean seriously, ".....he can't see the target, he's blind"? WTF?! :eek: USA is fucked up. Canada too, but in a "good" way (honestly, you don't lock your doors? :confused: ).
The scene with the 911-calls and everything from Columbine was really disturbing. Didn't know much about that incident before, but now when you got to see it and everything.... My god!

Anyways, your thoughts about it please? :) If you haven't seen it, for god's sake, do it!

nieh
07-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Watch Michael Moore Hates America (it's much more light-hearted than the name would imply). It's another documentary where the guy goes around and interviews a large amount of people that were used in Michael Moore's movies who said they were misled and didn't agree with the way they were used. The scene where Michael Moore got the gun at the bank was staged. He called them ahead of time and asked them to have a gun ready because he was doing a film and they went along with it. They normally ship them to you weeks later and don't actually have any in their building. When she says "we have over 800 in the vault" she means a vault in another building miles away from there. Then he goes to Canada and tries the whole opening random doors thing. He gets one unlocked door out of five. Michael Moore does nothing but paste together random pieces of truths to make the big picture seem disgusting when it's really not as horrible as he makes it seem. I'm going to end my rant there before I really get going.

Nina
07-03-2005, 08:32 AM
i thought it was boring. and somehow it felt like he's exaggerating anyway.

Mannen som blev en gris
07-03-2005, 09:32 AM
He may be exaggerating, but there must be some truth behind it. And so what if that bank scene was staged. In America it seems normal to say "If you come here agian I'll get my gun and blow your head off!" (got that from Dr Phil hehehehe). "Get my gun"? Why do you have a gun? Honestly, I doubt you'd ever need it.

nieh
07-03-2005, 09:46 AM
He may be exaggerating, but there must be some truth behind it. And so what if that bank scene was staged. In America it seems normal to say "If you come here agian I'll get my gun and blow your head off!" (got that from Dr Phil hehehehe). "Get my gun"? Why do you have a gun? Honestly, I doubt you'd ever need it.

IT'S A FUCKING DOCUMENTARY!!! If you stage something that makes it FALSE. People said that was one of the most powerful scenes of the movie and it was NOT REAL. It ruins his credibility and yet people still buy into everything he says (or rather, implies) despite facts being put right in front of them showing that he wasn't being totally truthful.

Mannen som blev en gris
07-03-2005, 09:50 AM
IT'S A FUCKING DOCUMENTARY!!! If you stage something that makes it FALSE. People said that was one of the most powerful scenes of the movie and it was NOT REAL. It ruins his credibility and yet people still buy into everything he says (or rather, implies) despite facts being put right in front of them showing that he wasn't being totally truthful.
I suppose that's true.....
Just wondering.... do you have a gun? Or do you know anyone who has?

nieh
07-03-2005, 09:55 AM
No, I don't have a gun, my family has never had a gun, my friends don't have guns, none of their parents have guns except for 1-2 that have decorative rifles. Plus if you watched Bowling for Columbine you would notice he points out that Canada has MORE guns per family than America, so it's really not a question of who has the most.

Mannen som blev en gris
07-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh, I see. You live in New Jersey, you probably have baseballbats. :rolleyes: :p

Vera
07-03-2005, 11:22 AM
A documentary is still a movie. It usually has a thesis that it starts with, "Let's find out if this is true or not" and then "investigates" the issue and sees if the thesis is true.

I'd say a fictional tale often can offer more truth than a documentary. A documentary always has a point of view. It offers different views, sure, but it usually says "Okay, this is the correct one" or implies that this POV is the one the viewer should believe in.

Moore is a master of using images to give people ideas. It's all about combining different things, cross-cutting, music, narrator voice. He's really good at this.

Going as far as bending the truth and staging shit is, IMO, unethical but Moore is an American and he knows how to use different methods to get his point across.

I'd say, see his movies, but take them with a bit of salt. I refuse to believe he's only an evil manipulator of public opinion, but some of his ways are questionable. And he's clever. He knows people love comedy, so even when the topic is serious, he uses sarcasm to get his point across. It gives people this idea of "Hey, this guy's cool, I want to believe in what he says."

Also, as Mota Boy has pointed out, some people abroad fucking worship him because he pretty much confirms their suspicions about America being all evil.
That's just idiocy.