PDA

View Full Version : Did Dex write "walla walla" for the Vandals?

dain84
07-03-2005, 04:54 PM
I heard he wrote it for them and they redid it and called it too much drama. The chorus is exactly the same as walla walla.

dain84
07-03-2005, 04:57 PM
whoa...they also have a song called "come out fighting".

0r4ng3
07-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Where are the lyrics to the entire song? The site I usually go to has no Vandals songs whatsoever.

dain84
07-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Too Much Drama Lyrics
Artist(Band):The Vandals
Review The Song (0)
Print the Lyrics

Too Much Drama Lyrics

100% Legal MP3 Downloads

Send The Vandals polyphonic ringtone to your cell phone

Hot step moms and surrogate dads
It breaks my heart to see him so sad
Lying alone in his room with a frown on
Reruns show him what he's missing out on

If life could be, like he sees it on TV
He wouldn't have to hurt so bad
Hurts so bad `cause

It's too much drama, too much drama Dad and Mama
Traded back and forth til he turns 18
It's too much drama, the kid don't need no new step grandma
So he joins a family on the screen
Can't you see? Too many parents leave
Too many sets of parents leave a kid who can't believe
How they can think that he can take it
It's all he can do to fake it

download it off limewire or something. It's very similar, and I think Dex wrote it as walla walla.

Revolver-2005?
07-03-2005, 05:03 PM
u should go to www.plyrics.com

every punk rock lyric u need, give all the albums too and extra songs as well.

Too Much Drama

Hot step moms and surrogate dads
It breaks my heart to see him so sad
Lying alone in his room with a frown on
Reruns show him what he's missing out on

If life could be, like he sees it on TV
Hurts so bad `cause

It's too much drama, too much drama Dad and Mama
Traded back and forth til he turns 18
It's too much drama, the kid don't need no new step grandma
So he joins a family on the screen
Can't you see? Too many parents leave
Too many sets of parents leave a kid who can't believe
How they can think that he can take it
It's all he can do to fake it

Off for a weekend with real Dad but
The only thing real is how real bad he
Just wants his life to be black and white
Those people never fight

If he could Xerox a home from the talking picture box

So he turns to TV for help and for guidance
A lot of his virtues he picked up from Linus
Fonzie taught him what it means to be cool
From Doogie he learned that he must go to school
Three's Company taught him that just acting gay
Could lower the actual rent he would pay
Cops showed beating your wife and your neighbor
Could immortalize you and your double wide trailer

Walla Walla

Goodbye my friend, you've messed up again
You're going to prison, you're off to the pen
You've gotten off easy so many times
But I guess no one told you how to get a life

The judge wasn't lenient like he was before
You got three to five and a kick out the door
The public defender really did try
Too little, too late, you didn't get a life

Hey, in Walla
I'll see you in Walla Walla
Slap on the wrist? Well, not this time
Hey, in Walla
Folsom prison is the destination
Hey, in Walla
In the scheme of life, we're all just brothers
Rehabilitate with all the others
Well, I'll see ya

That car looked so tempting, so easy to drive
Just like that apartment that you burglarized
You started to run, but didn't get far
Cause under your arm was a VCR

Ho ho, not this time my friend
You'll be in lockdown by ten
I'm afraid you can't talk your way out of this one, son
Now four walls are your 24-hour-a-day, constant companions.

Hey, in Walla
Hey, in Walla
Folsom prison is the destination
Hey, in Walla
In the scheme of life, we're all just brothers
Rehabilitate with all the others
Well, I'll see ya

Well I listened to both songs, and the chorus does sound very similar...also both albums were released 1998. Hitler Bad, Vandals Good - 1998....Americana- 1998

Maybe its true

samr
07-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Come out Fighting is a cover of Pennywise, for some guy that suicided or something. I dont know, I dont listen to pennywise.

code_blue
07-03-2005, 05:58 PM
yep. dexter wrote the music to "too much drama" for the vandals album hitler bad, vandals good. i guess he liked it so much that he figured it would be okay for him to rip off another song that he had already written and put it on americana.. i'm sure someone else on these boards remembers the details about this story better than i do.

this is another post that should go in leo's FAQ thread.

Venom Symbiote
07-03-2005, 06:10 PM
I've heard OF it, never actually heard it.

Screw lyrics, someone get us an MP3! ;) :D

Comeoncomeoncomeoncomeon COME-ON! :)

*runs around in circles like Speedy Gonzalez*

Little_Miss_1565
07-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Come out Fighting is a cover of Pennywise, for some guy that suicided or something. I dont know, I dont listen to pennywise.

I think you're referring to "Bro Hymn" by Pennywise, which the Offspring have never covered.

Yes, Dexter offered "Walla Walla" to the Vandals, as _Hitler Bad_ was released on Nitro Records. They rewrote all the lyrics for their release, and then Dexter took "Walla Walla" as he originally wrote it and put it on _Americana_.

I know this because when the videos of the recording of _Americana_ were put up on Offspring.com, I e-mailed either Web Dude or some random person at Nitro to ask why Noodles was playing "Too Much Drama" in one of the clips, and it was explained to me.

Venom Symbiote
07-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Well aren't you a fucking legend?

:rolleyes:

MP3, people. MP3.

SkunkIt
07-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Dexter also wrote "All I Want" for Bad Religion, but I'm glad The Offspring did it, because they're better than Bad Religion.

bouncingcoles
07-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I heard he wrote it for them and they redid it and called it too much drama. The chorus is exactly the same as walla walla.

yes dexter co wrote that vandals song. also on that album the vandals cover a pennywise song called come out fighting

0r4ng3
07-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Dexter also wrote "All I Want" for Bad Religion, but I'm glad The Offspring did it, because they're better than Bad Religion.
When it was written, it was called "Protocol" and...

...well, I'm sure most of you know the story.

Venom Symbiote
07-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Uh...I've never even HEARD of that "All I Want" BR thing. So it was written in the Smash-era then, I guess?

Do you have any concrete proof of this, or is it just a rumour in one of those crappy unofficial bio book thingies? Has a band member from either group ever said anything to this effect?

Not doubting you or anything, I just would have thought I'd have heard about it in 8 years of fanatical fandom, about 5 of posting on the site's boards.

0r4ng3
07-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Uh...I've never even HEARD of that "All I Want" BR thing. So it was written in the Smash-era then, I guess?

Do you have any concrete proof of this, or is it just a rumour in one of those crappy unofficial bio book thingies? Has a band member from either group ever said anything to this effect?

Not doubting you or anything, I just would have thought I'd have heard about it in 8 years of fanatical fandom, about 5 of posting on the site's boards.
It was on the DVD side of Greatest Hits. The chorus for Protocol is:

Your back's to the wall
That's protocol
Sequestering your spirit
Misleading us all

Dexter emphasized how Bad Religion had a hefty vocabulary, and he wrote the song to that effect. BR rejected the song, but when The Offspring moved to Columbia records, Dex re-wrote the lyrics to sound more like the Offspring.

lousyskater
07-04-2005, 12:18 AM
I think you're referring to "Bro Hymn" by Pennywise

wrong again. Bro Hymn was written about friends and family the band had lost, but they changed the lyrics a tiny bit in honor of Jason, the founding basist of Pennywise, when he died in 96.

Pilau
07-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Pennywise rocks. They have written other songs about loss as well regarding Jason Matthew Thirsks death.

Watch The Vandals DVD Live @ The House OF Blues. Before playing Too Much Drama they dedicate it to Dexter Holland and half way thru they start singing the Walla Walla chorus.

killboybowerhead
07-04-2005, 02:56 AM
yeah, Vandals Pennywise Offspring. Three best punk bands ever. Im pretty sure Dex just cowrote lyrics no music. It sounds like his lyrics here and there. Remember Vandals were on Nitro. Dex also appeared in a few Guttermouth videos.

Dexter_italy
07-04-2005, 04:00 AM
I understood that Dexter wanted to do a BR type song, but then he ended up with all I want, he didn't want to write it for them... oh well who cares?
________
MALE ADVICE DICUSSION (http://www.love-help.org/male-advice/)

Venom Symbiote
07-04-2005, 07:01 AM
Oh, ok. But again: we non-Americans can't GET these DualDisc videos, so yeah - you'll have to humour us every now and again when something off it comes up. :) Thanks, though.

We STILL need someone to upload all the GH Extra content...

leo3375
07-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Back on topic:

Yes, Dexter initially wrote "Walla Walla" for the Vandals. However, the Vandals declined the song but decided to incorporate its chorus riff into a song they were writing called "Too Much Drama." If you look at the liner notes for Hitler Bad, Vandals Good, you will see Dexter credited as a songwriter for "Too Much Drama."

nameless
07-04-2005, 03:34 PM
i never heard he wrote walla walla for the vandals but i remember reading an interview with noodles where he said dexter wrote want you bad for the vandals bu the werent interested! jason thirsk did actually write come out fighting i believe!

Little_Miss_1565
07-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Back on topic:

Yes, Dexter initially wrote "Walla Walla" for the Vandals. However, the Vandals declined the song but decided to incorporate its chorus riff into a song they were writing called "Too Much Drama." If you look at the liner notes for Hitler Bad, Vandals Good, you will see Dexter credited as a songwriter for "Too Much Drama."

I already said that, lady (sort of)! ;)

Betty
07-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Semi-related...

Dexter also was credited for the song Jackass... which is probably not one that the typical Vandals fan likes but I absolutely adore that song!

Little_Miss_1565
07-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Semi-related...

Dexter also was credited for the song Jackass... which is probably not one that the typical Vandals fan likes but I absolutely adore that song!

Likewise semi-related...

Dexter also is credited for writing "Amino Man" by the Aquabats!. The singer even sort of adopts his singing tone during the chorus. :)

nameless
07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Semi-related...

its not typical vandals stuff but i like it too!

Venom Symbiote
07-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Can someone PLEASE post a link to these songs?

I'm totally clueless when it comes to The Vandals and The Aquabats. Not really my thing.

IdiotOfTheDay
07-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Yeah, when I was watching the DVD, I was thinking that if I were in Brett's place and watching that part, I'd be thinking, "aw fuck, so that's the song he had written for me? Dammit, we could have had some good shit going for us with that one..."
And then I laughed at Brett for blowing off what turned out to be a hit.

samr
07-05-2005, 10:33 PM
If you listen to The Vandals - Euro-Barge and the song Americana, they sound almost the same.

The Euro barge part:

In every region
It seems there's a legion
Of impatient close talking slime,
That cut in line.

Is similar to Americana's

My futures determined by
Thieves, thugs, and vermin
Itís quite an excursion
But itís okay

yeah

nieh
07-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Likewise semi-related...

Dexter also is credited for writing "Amino Man" by the Aquabats!. The singer even sort of adopts his singing tone during the chorus. :)

Dex sings the back-up "Yeah!" in the chorus.

Venom Symbiote
07-06-2005, 12:02 AM
QUOTE:
"And then I laughed at Brett for blowing off what turned out to be a hit."

Guerewitz blew off the band, not the first single. :rolleyes:

Little_Miss_1565
07-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Dex sings the back-up "Yeah!" in the chorus.

Indeed. And someone should make up a master list of all the songs on other peoples' albums where he shows up and goes "yeah!" or "whoa-oh!" He's like Lil' Jon that way, lol.

But even where the Bat Commander says "amino man," it sounds like he's trying to sound like Dexter. Maybe i'm on drugs, but I've thought that for years, heh.

Dexter_italy
07-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Oh, ok. But again: we non-Americans can't GET these DualDisc videos, so yeah - you'll have to humour us every now and again when something off it comes up. :) Thanks, though.

We STILL need someone to upload all the GH Extra content...

the non americans (like me) get the cd + dvd and there's all the extra stuff, f your sotre don't have it try to order it because it's a limited edition
________
Coach handbags (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

IdiotOfTheDay
07-06-2005, 06:19 PM
QUOTE:
"And then I laughed at Brett for blowing off what turned out to be a hit."

Guerewitz blew off the band, not the first single. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but in the Greatest Hits DVD, Dexter says that Brett blew off the song when Dexter wanted to play it for him.