PDA

View Full Version : Americans self-centered and spoiled?

Faded Soul
07-04-2005, 02:02 AM
I wrote this rant in my livejournal in May. After reading threads here in the politics section, I thought I'd share my rant too.

I was just sitting here listening to Bad Religion's Watch it Die and I was just realizing what WE take for granted.

One night, probably about 2-3 weeks ago, I was taking chickens down from the rotisserie and I was facing the bakery, there's a cut in the wall, partially seperating the deli and bakery. anyways, on the other side of the wall, on the bakery side, there's a bread slicer. Out of the blue, Mary who works in the bakery, said, "You Americans are spoiled". Kinda caught me off guard, but I said, "haha, I won't deny that." She went on to say, what we Americans have, that other countries don't. She's not American, I believe she's from the Phillipines. Which is compared to us, a third world country. She said, "You guys have all these ammenities that other countries don't. Such as being able to have FRESH sliced bread. In other countries, they're lucky to have stale bread." you would think I would take offence to the comment, but I didn't. And tonight and other nights after her little wisdom speech, I realized, she wasn't just right, she was COMPLETELY RIGHT. I had never really noticed that we were. I mean, I knew we were, but not so much as after that night.

I've been on 'the other side of the counter' for a total of 2 1/2 years, atleast. Most of it from deli work. And you know what, half the customers that come in, are from my generation. buying expensive meats, in large quantities. And if you're not hasty enough, you KNOW IT. They just STARE you down. And expect it perfectly cut. If it's not, oh man oh man, you've got hell to pay.

I really noticed the spoiledness three nights ago, when Isabell wasn't able to tend the bakery. I think she was using the restroom, or was on break, not sure. anyways, some lady walked over to our counter, "CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OVER IN THE BAKERY?!" (in a demanding tone) I said, ok....walked over, asked what what can I help her with. (remember kids, service with a smile!) she practically threw the bread into my hands, and said, 'slice it!' oooookay. "AND I WANT A SEPERATE BAG" ok...took me a min to find the extra bags. There they are! ok get started. as I was pulling the bread from the front (you can't get cut from that side) as it was coming through the blades, I glanced at her, she had this GLARE. one of those...eh it's hard to depict. but nothentheless a cold hard stare. oooookay. turn towards the bread and rolled my eyes. then when I was done twisting the tie, I wished her a good day, she RIPS the bread from my hands and walks away. Not ONE thank you. I mean, I don't need a thank you, but it's nice to have when someone goes out of their way to help, don't you think? It's all in good manners and taste.

I don't think it's a money factor (whether they're rich or poor) but a lot of people take things for granted. I mean where's common sence anymore? They always have to have the best! Even if they don't pay the premium. And don't get me started, who get the premium, and bitch about having to pay the premium. It's like when people bitched about farmers using special drugs to make cows produce more milk than normal, or fed chickens hormones so they can produce more eggs (the average chicken lays one egg a day, w/hormones they can produce up to 5 or so a day), then when the farmers finally stopped giving the hormones, they bitched about the prices. well not just the fact that they now produce less milk raised the price, the prices in gasoline skyrocketed too, so there's another factor. And now that gasoline prices have skyrocketed, oh don't get me started there. and remember the gas crisis? and the latest, the water crisis? christ.

I remember that summer when the gas line was ruptured, lines started forming and gas prices soared. kinda like the phoenix heat! people started hoarding gasoline like there was no tomarrow. some even brought those big red plastic gas tanks to the pumps! but were deterred by the attendants, that gas was only to be pumped into cars! Or what about the water crisis this last January, the city put a big advisory on tap water! Said that it wasn't safe to drink. Bottled water FLEW off the shelfs of grocery stores citywide! Then once that advisory was lifted, a huge segment of Phoenix lost it's natural gas, due to I think construction. and I felt it the big, taking for granted there. Our store runs on gas. The heater, water heater, stove and fryer. We had to heat our food with the microwave, a hotplate (portable electric burner) and an electric fryer, provided by Mary. Luckily that only lasted a few days.

ok ok my serious soapbox has ended. thank you.

clokey43
07-04-2005, 02:14 AM
You have some very interesting points. It happens here as well, Im a cashier in a supermarket. I dont think it matters if ur rich or not its just a lack of manners. They think your lower than them jus coz you dont work in an office. Well, if only they know for me its part time and within a yr or so ill be in the RAF. Wont be so shitty then! I feel bad for ur friend in the bakery side, but only she knows what its like. I don like it when peopl make comments like that, yeah they are true but its not our fault where we are born, we cant change where she is from, thats up to her governemnt!

My rant over!
Have a gd day

Faded Soul
07-04-2005, 02:23 AM
I love my job, but really the only thing that sucks is the customer service (granted there are lots of cool customers that come through) and guess what? I'm no lower than them, I make decent wage and live fairly decent. I choose not to let that rub off onto other people. Everytime I go shopping or go get food etc. I treat the person serving me with the same amount of respect they give me. Reguardless if they make less wage than I do. I'm actually glad they're there to help me.

My point is, there are quite a bit of people out there who expect everyone to wait on them hand and foot, and to deliver it on a golden platter.

Sin Studly
07-04-2005, 04:53 AM
I wrote this rant in my livejournal

I stopped reading at this point. Never ever post here again.

T-6005
07-04-2005, 05:04 AM
Too bad. It was an alright read, I suppose, but badly named. It's not only americans.

clokey43
07-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Lol sin studly didnt continue to read, which mean we dont have to read another pointless post by him / her. It really bugs me, if u dont like the thread dont post in it. Derr!

The arogance of people today is rediculous I agree and people in shops get the brunt off it. Wonder what they would do if it was them?

T-6005
07-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Wonder what they would do if it was them?

Bitch about it on Livejournal, obviously.

Sin Studly
07-04-2005, 07:54 AM
It really bugs me, if u dont like the thread dont post in it. Derr!

If you don't like what I have to say, don't comment on it. Derr.

Mattman113
07-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Sorry buddy, but you calling Americans spoiled is just preaching to the choir, most people these days know that America is spoiled so this entire thread is basically a big cliched bunch of information most people already have come to realization with. ;) ;)

Matt

Linda
07-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Jacque, that's just people in general. People are like that everywhere, not just in the US.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Jacque, that's just people in general. People are like that everywhere, not just in the US.

To an extent, true.

It's not the fact you were American, it's the fact that you're a shop worker. Wherever you go in the developed world, there'll be someone who acts like an asshole to you at work.

clokey43
07-06-2005, 04:32 PM
If you don't like what I have to say, don't comment on it. Derr.

Hmm fair point. Ok

Linda
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Wherever you go in the developed world, there'll be someone who acts like an asshole to you at work.

OMG, I totally agree with you! :eek:

Panzerfaust92
07-07-2005, 12:52 AM
I agree that Americans are for the most part greedy, selfish, and arrogant, but . . . . . . .well I forgot where I was going with this. I'll talk about it tomorrow when my blood alcohol level is at a more tolerable level.

Panzerfaust92
07-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Okay I just remembered. Many great world advancements have come from Ameruka. So. . . . . Oh god! Please no one quote anything I've written here.

wheelchairman
07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
I would say it's hardly a "people are like that everywhere."

There's a difference of needs in place. In our part of the world, and in your social classes, the needs would not be basic needs. But needs that borderline esteem/consumer based needs. Those of the 3rd world, are different.

Saying that "oh all people are like that". Is just a really ignorant statement. Especially since I'm guessing that you haven't travelled to a developing or 3rd world country. Or hell, even to a poor neighborhood.

The Unholy Thread-Reviver
08-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I declare this thread revived

SkyRocker
08-06-2005, 05:02 AM
I declare this thread revived
You're great

Socially Rejected
08-07-2005, 07:33 AM
I haven't read this topic apart from the first post but ...

Alot of American's are self centered and spoiled (i know people all over the world are like that but more so in America), but not all of them are, infact alot of them are extremely nice people. I personally blame all thier fucked up president's - if there was a decent one then that country wouldn't be as half as bad but unfortunately that's the way it goes.

MichealCorleone
08-07-2005, 08:24 AM
I haven't read this topic apart from the first post but ...

Alot of American's are self centered and spoiled (i know people all over the world are like that but more so in America), but not all of them are, infact alot of them are extremely nice people. I personally blame all thier fucked up president's - if there was a decent one then that country wouldn't be as half as bad but unfortunately that's the way it goes.

*A lot, Americans, in fact, a lot, their, presidents, half as bad

Wow.

Socially Rejected
08-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Michael, I appreciate that you like correcting people but it's pissing me of ever so slightly.

MichealCorleone
08-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Michael, I appreciate that you like correcting people but it's pissing me of ever so slightly.

* off 10 characters

coke_a_holic
08-07-2005, 11:43 AM
^ Pure pwnage.

Socially Rejected
08-07-2005, 11:45 AM
^ i realised that :(

Fat_mike_nofx
08-07-2005, 09:00 PM
as a canadian i would have 2 say us and the usa are the two worse contries in the world

wheelchairman
08-07-2005, 09:51 PM
as a canadian i would have 2 say us and the usa are the two worse contries in the world
Wow, you're as smart as you sound.