PDA

View Full Version : "Race Against Myself"

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
07-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Hey everyone, i was just wondering, what is "Race Against Myself" really about? i think it's about giving up yourself, i don't know what it is, but this song always makes me feel better when im feeling down, what is the song really about?

neocon58
07-04-2005, 04:01 AM
*referrs to splinter dvd* Dexter said something like, 'your trying really hard, but your only going backwards' or something to that extent.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
07-04-2005, 04:18 AM
theres a splinter DVD....i havent seen it.... is that maximum offspring?

gortesque
07-04-2005, 04:41 AM
at first i thought it was about a dog chasing its tale

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
07-04-2005, 04:45 AM
lol (ignore this, extra writing to post)

Cejus
07-04-2005, 04:48 AM
theres a splinter DVD....i havent seen it.... is that maximum offspring?
Yes, there is a Splinter DVD, it was a bonus dvd, with some cool stuff, an interview with Dexter and Noodles, Da Hui video, some story behind Da Hui...
No, it wasn't "Maximun Offspring". It's just a bonus dvd, which came together with the Splinter CD.

Guess it was a limited edition CD+DVD :rolleyes:

Venom Symbiote
07-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Self-explanatory.

I guess you could say it's another take on the similar theme in Gotta Get Away. Sorta.

Gayman
07-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Don't know but I think it sound alittle like some Staind song or someting....any one else thik so? Especially the guitar riff...

0r4ng3
07-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Don't know but I think it sound alittle like some Staind song or someting....any one else thik so? Especially the guitar riff...
When I first heard the song, I thought it sounded like "For You".

Venom Symbiote
07-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Eh, it's more of their very own "Amazed" than Staind. :)

IdiotOfTheDay
07-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Self-explanatory.

I guess you could say it's another take on the similar theme in Gotta Get Away. Sorta.
Yeah, I always thought that too.
...Once I heard Gotta Get Away; Splinter was my first Offspring album. And my only CD for awhile, because I lost all my CDs in the Philly airport last summer, and that one was in my CD player. Hahahah, my Offspring obsession was fate.

Camilamazed
07-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Self-explanatory.

I've never thought of that.. It makes sense.
:D

Ceejio21
07-04-2005, 11:11 AM
For me, "Race Against Myself" is the best (if not, a very close second to "The Noose") song on Splinter. I think it pretty much fills the criteria of a true Offspring sound. It's not heavily produced with loads of studio mixing, it isn't a song that the band are experimenting a new sound with (i.e like The Worst Hangover Ever, Spare Me The Details) its a very genuine song.

And yeah I think it's pretty much just about always striving to attain something that you'll never quite have, no matter how hard you try and how much effort you excell you will always fall short and the reason is because you are your own enemy; setting your standards that bit too high. Perhaps, the song is written in hindsight, as if one has acknowledged what I have just described, hence the "I realise" lyrics at the start of each verse.

I dunno, thats just what I think anyway...

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
07-05-2005, 02:11 AM
^ ^ ^

sounds like it to me, maybe we all need to vote for Race Against Myself on the Dexter on Song poll?

or maybe we all need to pick a song, because we all know what lightning rod is about anyway and gone away is pointless song to choose, we all know dexter wants to keep that story private and he will have a hard time writing about it.

platinumpt
07-05-2005, 03:45 AM
I agree that Race Against Myself is kinda like Gotta Get Away, I never thought of that before!

I think Splinter is a bit "repetitive" in some songs, I mean, besides that one, there's "The Noose", the first time I've heard it remembered me of "We Are One", from Ignition. The basis is the same, the dismemberment of a tight group, right? Or maybe "The Noose" is a sequel to "We Are One" :o

But it's a really great CD, I play it all the time since it went out ;)

Venom Symbiote
07-05-2005, 07:12 PM
QUOTE:
"It's not heavily produced with loads of studio mixing"

Hah. Haha. A-hah-hah. Haha. Haha-hooh. "You are teh funnay." You are teh funnay indeed. :rolleyes:

But to the other guy: "The Noose" & "We Are One"? I don't see it. :confused: Explain. :)

barangatang
07-05-2005, 07:16 PM

teh guitar riff does but the rest.............

platinumpt
07-06-2005, 02:01 AM
QUOTE:
"It's not heavily produced with loads of studio mixing"

Hah. Haha. A-hah-hah. Haha. Haha-hooh. "You are teh funnay." You are teh funnay indeed. :rolleyes:

But to the other guy: "The Noose" & "We Are One"? I don't see it. Explain.

We Are One goes like: "We are one you know it's true, hang ourselves in one collective noose, well it won't be long until our day in the sun is gonna stop" and The Noose is like: "The noose is falling and all my friends are crawling, the noose is falling and enemies are rising" . So I think that The Noose continues the idea the previous song wanted to transmit... in "We Are One" he was afraid that, one day, his group would break... in "The Noose" I think that's what happens... the group kinda breaks up, and now all of them are defenseless... lol! :D I dunno, this is my interpretation of the songs, every single person surely has their unique interpretation, so it may not be as mine... :)

Preecey
07-06-2005, 03:10 AM
My mum loves this song! It's quite different to every other song on the album but it's kinda heavy too, and it expresses emotion without going overboard, and that makes it a good all-round song. Without it the Splinter album wouldn't be half as good as it is.

ashtray_girl_1
07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
:( I always thought it was about dexter's addiction to pills or alexa's mom :(
poor guy...

m00se
07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
i <3 splinter. it has some really catchy stuff on it.