PDA

View Full Version : Undergraduate / Postgraduate

Kerr
07-05-2005, 05:01 AM
I don't know whether it is meant to be an obvious thing, but I am kinda confused. What's the difference between the two, and I am thinking of applying next year for a Uni course, so what should I take?

JoY
07-05-2005, 05:07 AM
you're asking US what uni course you should take?? why don't you just do whatever you like & are good at?

Kerr
07-05-2005, 05:10 AM
NO! I wanted to know the difference between an undergraduate and a postgraduate course. I KNOW which one to take.

JoY
07-05-2005, 05:11 AM
ah, then I must've misread your post. I apologise.

Kerr
07-05-2005, 05:13 AM
ah, then I must've misread your post. I apologise.
It's ok, I think I addessed my query incorrectly so erm... my fault :o. I ought to ask a teacher since I am currently at school.

RXP
07-05-2005, 05:31 AM
You're gonna be an undergrad. Once you got your degree you'll be a postgrad if you wanna continue further and do a masters or whatever.

the_GoDdEsS
07-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I'm not familiar with your system. All I know is in Europe you have three levels of higher education which is the bachelor's degree, master's degree and doctorate. We don't have really use the undergraduate/postgraduate labels.

RXP
07-05-2005, 05:38 AM
The semantic makeup should tell you what the word means tho

post - after
grad - graduate

after-graduate = after-graduation.

Dirty Bertie
07-05-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm not familiar with your system. All I know is in Europe you have three levels of higher education which is the bachelor's degree, master's degree and doctorate. We don't have really use the undergraduate/postgraduate labels.

Yes, but you don't need to do a master's in order to doctorate.. though I'd image it helps

the_GoDdEsS
07-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Yes, but you don't need to do a master's in order to doctorate.. though I'd image it helps

Are you serious? Over here you need an MA do be able to do a PhD.

Dirty Bertie
07-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Are you serious? Over here you need an MA do be able to do a PhD.

Yes.. my brother is doing a PHD at the moment and he went straight from his BSC

Endymion
07-05-2005, 09:45 AM
some places here don't offer masters really... like caltech, they don't have a masters program. if you get a masters there it means you failed but decided to be nice to you and give you something for your time.

and jimmy, depending on your major you will probably be an instant fail if you take a postgrad class, they're intended for after you have your bachelors and are working on either your masters or phd.

Kerr
07-05-2005, 11:34 AM
It's OK, I asked my teacher about it and I will be undergraduate - a postgraduate is someone who already has a degree. But thanks anyway guys.

Endy - Yes, I am aware of that, as a postgraduate already has a degree hence will be involved in a harder course. Like I said, I already found out, but thanks all anyway.