PDA

View Full Version : Should've stopped at Americana?

Mota___Boy
07-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Just wondering about everyones views on this.
I originally got Ignition and thought, WOW this is possibly one of the greatest albums ever and so i got 'The Offspring' then 'Smash' and 'Ixnay' and im thinking to myself 'could these guys do any wrong?'
YES THEY COULD.
Americana was (IMO) scraping the barrel slightly but Conspiricy and Splinter where i thought a spoof offspring piss take. with at most 4 really decent tracks between them.
As i say, this is all simply opinion (mine) but are there other people out there that really wish they'd get back to being the raw beasts they where when they made the first few albums.
Every time they release something new i get all excited and am then gutted big time.

HeadAroundU
07-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I don't agree with you!
I don't know whats wrong with Americana!!, CO1 & Splinter???
Every offspring album has the same quality & I love them......

Mota___Boy
07-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Every offspring album has the same quality & I love them......

Like i say it's just my opinion but are you seriously saying that if you put on 'The Offspring' and then 'Splinter' you hear the same kinda stuff?
I just feel they are now so far departed from how they started that i may never get that adrenalin from Offspring albums that they used to give me.....and thats well scary.

SkyRocker
07-05-2005, 08:30 AM
This band is amazing ( my opinion like you said ), of course the sound changed from the first albums to splinter but i don't know what's wrong with splinter ! Plus you can't stop music coz some people don't like your music, be serious man ! They still sell albums, and even if it's not important for them to have million of cds sold, i think they are great and they will be for a long time

Dirty Bertie
07-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Like i say it's just my opinion but are you seriously saying that if you put on 'The Offspring' and then 'Splinter' you hear the same kinda stuff?
I just feel they are now so far departed from how they started that i may never get that adrenalin from Offspring albums that they used to give me.....and thats well scary.

Yes, there musical style has definitely softened since the early days and they have lost some of their rawness... listen to the difference between 'Mission from God' and 'Can't Repeat' for a good example

0r4ng3
07-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Every band evolves and changes their music eventually (except Pennywise, from what I've heard). Everyone has their own preference of which "era" is their favorite.

They should only stop making CDs whenver they feel like it.

Mota___Boy
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Saying they should've stopped was prob harsh but im going to put a poll up which will probably represent what i meant a bit more clearly.

Also can i just say that I aint some anti-offspring guy either and they are one of the biggest inserations in my life and go me through some bad times.

PS. Hi everybody glad to be here and hope I can get to know you dudes well and make some friends along the way. :)

Camilamazed
07-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I originally got Ignition and thought, WOW this is possibly one of the greatest albums ever and so i got 'The Offspring' then 'Smash' and 'Ixnay' and im thinking to myself 'could these guys do any wrong?'
YES THEY COULD.
Americana was (IMO) scraping the barrel slightly but Conspiricy and Splinter where i thought a spoof offspring piss take. with at most 4 really decent tracks between them.
As i say, this is all simply opinion (mine) but are there other people out there that really wish they'd get back to being the raw beasts they where when they made the first few albums.
Every time they release something new i get all excited and am then gutted big time.

I think you need a lollypop.....

skuld_in_tape
07-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Every band evolves and changes their music eventually (except Pennywise, from what I've heard). Everyone has their own preference of which "era" is their favorite.

They should only stop making CDs whenver they feel like it.

I completely agree. While albums like 'The Offspring' and 'Ignition' are completely different from 'Splinter' etc, it's not to say that they are bad, they're just different. The members of the band are open to outside influences and new ideas, it's very likely they didn't want all their albums to sound similar to each other. Naturally enough, they'd want to try new things, new sounds, new subject matter etc. As Dexter himself said in some interview or other, they're always trying to be better than before. Their perception of better might just be different from yours.

rocketman
07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
i miss the old Offspring.....may they rest in peace :(

The-Offspring-RuLe
07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I think as much as the fans wanted Offspring to keep their old style, they can't make another Smash or Americana each album has to be in a different direction and Dexter wanted it that way i think, also each album has progressed lyricly and technically through the 20 years they have been playing full time. All the albums are unique in their own way different sounds etc... they just get better with every album in my opinion.

rocketman
07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I think as much as the fans wanted Offspring to keep their old style, they can't make another Smash or Americana each album has to be in a different direction and Dexter wanted it that way i think, also each album has progressed lyricly and technically through the 20 years they have been playing full time. All the albums are unique in their own way different sounds etc... they just get better with every album in my opinion.

true....they have to mix it up otherwise it gets really old. I really disliked Americana, I thought it sounded nothing like them, and it was too poppy

killer_queen
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh no. CO! and Splinter are great albums. They just chose the wrong songs for singles. Want you bad always makes me dislike CO1 but it has the most beautiful songs.

Hypodermic_89
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
YES THEY COULD.

YOU should've stopped at "Wondering"

Gayman
07-05-2005, 01:32 PM
I totally disagree....CO1 is one of their best albums....maybe right after Ixnay...and I hope they will go on forever!!!! :D

SkunkIt
07-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I though Splinter was a great albumI agree...........

Cejus
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
What's wrong with those albums after Ixnay??? I love them more than S/T, they're great albums, with great songs. I think they did right trying to make new songs that sounded different from the older ones :cool:

Cejus
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
true....they have to mix it up otherwise it gets really old. I really disliked Americana, I thought it sounded nothing like them, and it was too poppy
poppy?? Perhaps there are 2 popy songs on Americana, but the rest isn't oppy. And I can tell you, if it were poppy, everybody should love it, 'cause 90% of the people love pop, and hate punk. All of my friends hate punk-rock, they just love pop music. And I've tried to make them listen to Offspring's most poppiest songs, and they still say these songs are 'too heavy' for them :cool:

Preecey
07-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Teh End of Teh Line and No Brakes were lyke, sooo poppy....OMG!

Pwned. :D

Aimeht
07-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I partly agree. S/T and Ignition and maybe Smash don't sound as the latest albums (CO1, Splinter). I think their sound was more punk before and I did like the 'old' sound better. But, I still love all their albums.

rocketman
07-05-2005, 02:47 PM
poppy?? Perhaps there are 2 popy songs on Americana, but the rest isn't oppy. And I can tell you, if it were poppy, everybody should love it, 'cause 90% of the people love pop, and hate punk. All of my friends hate punk-rock, they just love pop music. And I've tried to make them listen to Offspring's most poppiest songs, and they still say these songs are 'too heavy' for them :cool:

well i guess i used the wrong words, i mean more that it sounded a lot different from their previous albums

Amazed
07-05-2005, 02:53 PM
YES THEY COULD.

Splinter was the first album I bought. I thought it was great and that's how I got into The Offspring. Their erlier stuff is good too. I like all their music. They've been playing together for a veeery long time and people change. If they don't feel like doing the kind of music that's on their first albums anymore, that's their decision. They're still a great band and if you don't like their newer music, then don't listen to it.

Cejus
07-05-2005, 02:54 PM
well i guess i used the wrong words, i mean more that it sounded a lot different from their previous albums
That's true :)