PDA

View Full Version : Offspring To Split?

TarachnidX
07-05-2005, 02:33 PM
20 Jul 2001 In an interview in a US periodical, The Offspring's Greg Kriesel has commented that the band may not be around for too much longer.

"If the next album is something we're not happy with and things have gotten tired and old, maybe that'll be it," said Greg in The Bakersfield Californian. "I give it five more years."

As Offspring guitarist Noodles stated in issue 88 of Metal Hammer, bassist Greg is the member of the band who least enjoys being away on tour - which accounts for a large part of the Offspring's time. Despite a mammoth world tour, the band's latest album 'Conspiracy Of One' has failed to sell as well as previous releases. The Offspring have one more album to release to fulfill their current recording contract with Columbia Records, which may indeed be the band's last.

Alex Burrows - Metal Hammer

Well Im glad that Splinter isn't their last because they are supposed to release another album. But im hoping that the Offspring stay around for a long time because I dont even know what I will do when the Offspring is no more and their next album is said to maybe come out next year and Greg said he gives the band five more years and this interview was in 2001 so hopefully their next album wont be their last either. :( I only hope

0r4ng3
07-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Wait, Splinter was the last Columbia Records CD? They must have re-negotiated.

Cejus
07-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Wait, Splinter was the last Columbia Records CD? They must have re-negotiated.
I suppose it's their last studio album with Columbia, GH doesn't seem to count, as Columbia has the right to make as much comps as they like to (at least that's what I believe about it)

Kerr
07-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I hope they last for a few more years or so.

Ceejio21
07-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah but that was an interview that was conducted in 2001 don't forget

Alot of press-releases have been made since then with alot more positives to draw from them. Don't forget that at that time Ron was still a member of the band and perhaps that was the start of things becoming a little strained.

Either way I wouldn't look too much into it, if there was ever any doubt in the committment of the band members then there's absolutely no way they'd participate in the Warped Tour 05.

Realistically I feel there may be one last album and perhaps not much more after that.

Cejus
07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Don't forget that at that time Ron was still a member of the band and perhaps that was the start of things becoming a little strained.
Good point! Yeah, I think they're gonna put out one or two more albums. I'd preffer them to make more tha 2 albums, but that's unrealistic :(

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
07-05-2005, 03:31 PM
I wish they'd do at least 3 more, to make an even 10 studio albums. Then, after that, another greatest hits, and a compilation of unreleased/rare/covers stuff.

Unnatural Disaster
07-05-2005, 03:31 PM
They should release their next album on Nitro records

Rancid_Guyxxx
07-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Im gonna go with 2 more albums... then maybe a Best Of double cd with all of there best songs on it. That would be pretty cool

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
I mean, realistically speaking, I don't see them sticking around for too much longer but if they at least put out 2 or 3 more albums, I'll be happy.

Venom Symbiote
07-05-2005, 05:35 PM
A bit outdated: I mean, come on, fucking 2001?

But yeah, Splinter was Columbia's last, under the contract negotiated in '96 or whatever. I'm sure it's probably been renewed, or else we would have heard about it by now. If it was their last, an announcement would be made that they're on Nitro now or something.

Whatever.

barangatang
07-05-2005, 06:05 PM
They should release their next album on Nitro records

isn't nitro owned by dex/kevin what would be the point?

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
07-05-2005, 06:18 PM
isn't nitro owned by dex/kevin what would be the point?

Just Dexter.

But yeah it wouldn't make sense because Nitro is an indie. They are already a major label band. Why would they go back to an indie? That'd be moving backward, when they already said they want to keep moving forward.

barangatang
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
noodles dosn't help dexter run nitro

Camilamazed
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Yummieeee
Split reminds of Banana split..... Delicious...... :D

ROcKErBLoNDe
07-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Dammit, I hate it when bands break up. It sucks, but I understand you can't keep with the same thing forever.

Faded Soul
07-05-2005, 11:28 PM
dude, Brett Gurewitz of Bad Religon owns Epitaph, and the band is on Epitaph! They're doing pretty well on their own indie label!

Just Dexter.

But yeah it wouldn't make sense because Nitro is an indie. They are already a major label band. Why would they go back to an indie? That'd be moving backward, when they already said they want to keep moving forward.

Venom Symbiote
07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
QUOTE:
"But yeah it wouldn't make sense because Nitro is an indie. They are already a major label band. Why would they go back to an indie? That'd be moving backward, when they already said they want to keep moving forward."

Explain your logic here. I would have thought that moving back to a smaller, more community-slanted label would only be PRODUCTIVE for creative output, especially when you're guaranteed complete artistic freedom by owning the company. Nitro is big enough to handle major-deal releases nowadays, it's not small in the traditional sense. Hey, if it stops them churning out "Original Prankster"s and "Spare Me the Details"s, I'd say that'd be a step forward in their career, wouldn't you? ;)

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
07-05-2005, 11:48 PM
QUOTE:
"But yeah it wouldn't make sense because Nitro is an indie. They are already a major label band. Why would they go back to an indie? That'd be moving backward, when they already said they want to keep moving forward."

Explain your logic here. I would have thought that moving back to a smaller, more community-slanted label would only be PRODUCTIVE for creative output, especially when you're guaranteed complete artistic freedom by owning the company. Nitro is big enough to handle major-deal releases nowadays, it's not small in the traditional sense. Hey, if it stops them churning out "Original Prankster"s and "Spare Me the Details"s, I'd say that'd be a step forward in their career, wouldn't you? ;)

I suppose so. It just seems like a weird move for a band that went from an indie to a major to go back to an indie again. I don't know. It just seems weird to me is all. I really don't care, either way, as long as they keep making music for a little while.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
07-05-2005, 11:49 PM
dude, Brett Gurewitz of Bad Religon owns Epitaph, and the band is on Epitaph! They're doing pretty well on their own indie label!

Well, my argument wasn't just because Dexter owns Nitro doesn't mean they can't be on it. My statement was that I think it's an odd move for a band to go from an indie to a major then back to an indie.

nameless
07-06-2005, 03:39 PM
id like to see them bow out gracefully, rather than just be remembered as a band that were past the sell by date! dexter has said he doesnt want to keep releasing records nobody is buying, i dont feel they have another "smash" in them so their next album - if they record one - will probably be their last in my opinion! though please prove me wrong guys!

Offspring-Fanatic
07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
no no...they cant go away that soon....STOP, U'LL MAKE ME CRY!

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
sure it doesnt happen very often for a band to go major then back to an indie...but im sure its happened.

epitaph and kung fu are good examples of the owner's band flourishing on their own labels.

Venom Symbiote
07-06-2005, 09:47 PM
I'd say the upcoming album'll be their last.

Just a gut feeling, a hunch if you will. *shrugs* If it's anything like their last three, I'll probably be glad they bowed out while they could, without becoming a TOTAL joke. They're already pretty-much a semi-joke in the public's eye anyway, so yeah.

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-06-2005, 10:15 PM
well, i dont think they are really considered a joke. i think the warped tour is turning out to be a great thing for them. i think they are suprising a lot of people.

Venom Symbiote
07-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

It's still reeking of "too little, too late" from what I'm hearing from down here. They'll never be a "respectable" band again, really - people just keep thinking "Pretty Fly", and your credibility as a fan is automatically shattered. ;)

:D

platinumpt
07-07-2005, 04:41 AM
A joke?

The Offspring are a joke? And they're near to become a TOTAL joke? Man, Venom, are you listening to yourself?

First you said their downhill started with Americana, and still hasn't stopped... now you say that The Offspring are close to become a total joke, so you'd be glad that they just finish their career as The Offspring...

Now I ask you: Why do you still listen to The Offspring? I don't think they need fans who say and think that sorta things dude

offspring kid
07-07-2005, 04:42 AM
hey people this is all BULLSHIT i believe in OFFSPRING they will make 3 or more Albums for sure so cut this crap !.........reading Crap about The Offspring ending makes my MOOD all Screwed UP.

dexterisMYman
07-07-2005, 04:47 AM
they'rt splitting n time soon. i've heard and read many interviews n dex says there r no planns 2 break up netime soon. if what greg said was the case they would've broken up after splinter cuz they didnt like the ablum. SMTD was supposed 2 be released off of splinter but they realized that the album wasnt ne good n so they didnt release nething from it.

offspring kid
07-07-2005, 04:49 AM
and yesterday i got my greatest hits cd+dvd and when i saw the story behind Cant Repeat Noodles and Dexter both said this: (people think Greatest hits is the bands End of carrier well people its not,Cant Repeat was to show that this is not the end,We have MORE SONGS)

if you dont believe it Go see the Story Behind Cant Repeat !

The-Offspring-RuLe
07-07-2005, 04:54 AM
It will happen when they are good and ready, they said they want to put 2 more albums out, and didnt rule out the possibilty of making more. You gotta think about their family, and their health, i mean some bands like metallica are well into their 40's now and they are carrying on (as far as i know) it's something we don't want to hear...but eventually they will...because it HAS to come to a end one day, and i hope it isnt soon as i agree with everyone else they have got a few more albums left in them, and i read in a article ''they are still as popular as they were in their smash days''

clokey43
07-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Yeah eventually they are going to split. Im perfectly happy for them to do that when they feel ready. However, for now im going to enjoy listening to their music and buying as much stuff as I can.

offspring kid
07-07-2005, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=''they are still as popular as they were in their smash days''[/QUOTE]

Offcourse they are,but i read they will put out 3 more albums any way i want four more albums atleast ! :cool: man i just cant see them SPLITING UP :(

Offspring-Fanatic
07-07-2005, 10:18 AM
What if they don't split? I mean, a band can just stop after a few more albums, because yeah they are getting older with families and other things to do.

I think it would be neat if they still made albums until they're in their 60s. wouldn't that be funny!!!

singing.....dentures falling out.....tries to jump "oh...MY POOR BACK..."

platinumpt
07-07-2005, 10:25 AM
What if they don't split? I mean, a band can just stop after a few more albums, because yeah they are getting older with families and other things to do.

I think it would be neat if they still made albums until they're in their 60s. wouldn't that be funny!!!

singing.....dentures falling out.....tries to jump "oh...MY POOR BACK..."

Well, look at Noodles! How he still has all that energy, always moving, jumping, doing funny stuff, he's incredible! And he's almost fifty... but we have some more examples, like David Bowie, Iggy Pop or Mick Jagger that a rockstar can last for several years!!!!

Offspring-Fanatic
07-07-2005, 10:26 AM
noodles is 42, hes NOT almost 50. hes a couple of months older than my mom.

and plus i meant when in their 60s they try to jump and they hurt their back!

read a little better!

platinumpt
07-07-2005, 10:31 AM
noodles is 42, hes NOT almost 50. hes a couple of months older than my mom.

and plus i meant when in their 60s they try to jump and they hurt their back!

read a little better!

You read a little bit better too, I wasn't criticizing you, and much less correcting you! Just entering the fun. And thanks for enlightning me, I didn't realize Noodles was only a couple of months older than your mother!

Offspring-Fanatic
07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
and what is that supposed to mean exactly???

platinumpt
07-07-2005, 10:40 AM
and what is that supposed to mean exactly???

Nothing, you mentioned your mom in the first place, so I played around with that just a little, but don't take it seriously, really, no offence meant! I think it was all a great misunderstanding, let's leave it where it is and move on what do you think?

CSX
07-07-2005, 11:58 AM
I don't mind if the next album is their last as long as it's a strong finish. I'd hate to see them end on a low note. I sometimes worry that they can't pull it off, I love all their albums but I don't think they've really made a masterpiece yet and 8 albums down the line is getting on a bit. But it took Greenday just as long so I've still got hope.

bouncingcoles
07-07-2005, 02:10 PM
i heard this rumor a few years ago but it was proven not true. i was listening to my local radio station and they said it wasnt true also.

platinumpt
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't mind if the next album is their last as long as it's a strong finish. I'd hate to see them end on a low note. I sometimes worry that they can't pull it off, I love all their albums but I don't think they've really made a masterpiece yet and 8 albums down the line is getting on a bit. But it took Greenday just as long so I've still got hope.

All their albums are masterpieces!!! :D Oh and of course I'm talking about The Offspring, not Green Day!