PDA

View Full Version : London blasts: need to contact family in US?

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2005, 07:53 AM
On the slim chance that anyone reading this is a US resident visiting London, I'm volunteering to contact family members in the states to let them know you're OK. I live and work in NYC.

Please PM me with contact information and something I can tell your family to reassure them the message is from you and not some kind of prank, as i know e-mail queues are ridiculous right now, or if that doesn't work, report any post in General Offspring Discussion and include the information I need in the comments field. Tijs will get the message too, but he's trustworthy.

One of my classmates is studying in London right now and no one has heard from her yet.

Nina
07-07-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear that... but there isnt a high chance for her to be among the dead, if that means anything..
And you're really nice for doing this.

HornyPope
07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
If someone is hurt, he's hurt. The how soon the family finds out about it won´t change a thing. Not a big fucking deal anyways. I don't understand the panic.

Green_Day
07-07-2005, 08:10 AM
If someone is hurt, he's hurt. The how soon the family finds out about it won´t change a thing. Not a big fucking deal anyways. I don't understand the panic.

maybe she/he is not hurt, and the family is worried

RXP
07-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Of course it changes everything - if you're not hurt. Which is a lot more likey. That was a dumb thing to say. I mean people worry cause they don't know what's going on. If you're ok, they stop worrying.

1565, props for doing this :-)

offspring kid
07-07-2005, 08:14 AM
hey can people visit london from Norway cause i was going to Visit london in a week or sooo !

clokey43
07-07-2005, 08:15 AM

Youd wanna know if someone in your family was caught up in it, hurt or not. Your self-centred, go and rot in a corner.

clokey43
07-07-2005, 08:16 AM
hey can people visit london from Norway cause i was going to Visit london in a week or sooo !

Ull be fine by then, as long as nothing else happens.

HornyPope
07-07-2005, 08:17 AM
People worry too much.

the difference between what you and im not affected by emotions. i dont give a shit about the news because i didnt read a single story nor watch it on tv. you have. the emotions affect you more. think about it. in a week or two when it fades away, you#ll know what i mean.

RXP
07-07-2005, 08:20 AM
No not really. When you live in the area that's been bombed, it won't just go away. It isn't cause I'm watching the news i'm worried/concerned. I mean I travel there often. That's a concern. I have friends and family in the city. So you know it concerns us stupid people who have emotions.

offspring kid
07-07-2005, 08:24 AM
please people tell me should i visit london or not ?????? my parents say i should not :s

JoY
07-07-2005, 08:25 AM
very sweet offer. I know that if I'd have any loved ones in London right now, I'd badly, badly, BADLY would want to know if they were okay. it's horrible to wait & wait to hear if someone is hurt or not. grah.

Green_Day
07-07-2005, 08:26 AM
i posted twice. sorry

RXP
07-07-2005, 08:26 AM
please people tell me should i visit london or not ?????? my parents say i should not :s

Of course it's alright. It's not gonna happen again for a while cause security is gonna be on red alert. So it will be safer.

HornyPope
07-07-2005, 08:27 AM
It's just emotions riled up. I understand i would be equally affected if they bombed Montreal, and other people who followed me story would too, but if you stay away from the news and dont pay attention to the human factor, it becomes a matter of statistics. Couple of dead, few hundred injured. Big fucking deal.

but i dont expect people to udnerstand, so whatever.

Green_Day
07-07-2005, 08:27 AM

do what you will. if i were you i'll go. that's what terrorist want, scare ppl. now shut up plz

RXP
07-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Oh granted, yeah it's just stats. But so's the hollocaust. So's every war. So's 30k a day dying in Africa etc. Sure you can stay away from it, but I'd rather see it.

HornyPope
07-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Yeah its about figures and certain warrant attention while others don't.

Preecey
07-07-2005, 08:50 AM
God, though. The pictures of that bus being blown up- that's a sight you'd associate with the Middle East. It wasn't supposed to be like that here.

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
It's just emotions riled up. I understand i would be equally affected if they bombed Montreal, and other people who followed me story would too, but if you stay away from the news and dont pay attention to the human factor, it becomes a matter of statistics. Couple of dead, few hundred injured. Big fucking deal.

Yeah, it is just emotions riled up. I'm volunteering to relay messages because I remember freaking the fuck out on September 11, not being able to get ahold of my family to make sure everyone was okay and accounted for. Just because you don't care does not mean that others don't.

Endymion
07-07-2005, 09:56 AM
God, though. The pictures of that bus being blown up- that's a sight you'd associate with the Middle East. It wasn't supposed to be like that here.

except it was dudes from the middle east doing it.

Diamond Dee
07-07-2005, 10:57 AM
It really shouldn't be like that anywhere. Unfortunately it's become a harsh reality. It's quite sad.

clokey43
07-08-2005, 09:24 AM

No one will understand because its a stupid comment. People arent statistics. Loss of human life is dispicable. Get a heart!

JoY
07-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Vlad - riled up emotions my arse. I sure as hell would fucking care. jaysus. would you just sit relaxed & laid back in your comfi-chair, watching the news emotionless, if a city where your loved ones are was bombed?

Brines
07-08-2005, 09:33 AM
I agree with HP. I don't give a fuck. I didn't care when 9/11 happened either.

Paint_It_Black
07-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Take your trip to London. My guess is we'll be safe for a while now, because terrorists are dumb. See, they seem to think they need to make large attacks like this to achieve their goals. And attacks like this take a lot of time for them to put together. If they were smart they'd be more like the DC sniper. Just kill one or two people every few days or whatever. That makes people far more terrified. I hope they never figure that out. As terrible as this attack is, they could be far more effective in far easier ways. Not that I wasn't affected by the news. My family is near London though I am not. Just pointing out that it could be a lot worse. It's funny, I called home soon after I heard the news, just to check everyone I knew was ok and to see what my parents thought about it all. My dad hardly seemed bothered at all. That's an incredible contrast to the reaction of most Americans after the WTC attack. Granted, the WTC attack was much worse. But it still says something interesting about the British and the Americans. I expect it's mostly because the Americans felt untouchable, while the British in comparison are used to terrorist attacks, if you can ever be said to really become used to it. I remember seeing pictures growing up of the latest IRA nail bomb, and the people ripped apart by them. That reminds me. For all of America's war on terror, how come some guy had to be killed in what was basically just a bar fight before America began looking down on the IRA? The leader of Sinn Fein has been to the fucking White House.

HornyPope
07-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Vlad - riled up emotions my arse. I sure as hell would fucking care. jaysus. would you just sit relaxed & laid back in your comfi-chair, watching the news emotionless, if a city where your loved ones are was bombed?

No. I dealt with that point already. If it happened in a place I care about, I would, naturally, care. But London? Don't give a shit. Neither should you. The only reason you, among others, do care is becase the newsman do a very good job of bringing the story in your perspective. Seriously. That's the basic rules of journalism--make the audience feel involved.

If i watched the news, I would probably end up caring too. I'm not some kind of monster who can watch the tragedy with ampathy. But I didn't see a single footage. Hence, i'm oblivious to their problems.

HornyPope
07-08-2005, 10:04 AM
No one will understand because its a stupid comment. People arent statistics. Loss of human life is dispicable. Get a heart!

Why are you talking to me?

Btw, excelent idea, paint_it_black. Ill forward it to my superiours in Pak***an.

For the purpose of keeping a safe hideout from the CIA, the location at which my superiours are hiding has been censored.

Paint_It_Black
07-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm in shock. I had assumed you were too high in the chain of command to have superiors.

Pak***an can't be responsible. They own all the shops in England.

RXP
07-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Na there are actually white shop keepers in Birmingham. I was shocked when I moved out of London.

JoY
07-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I agree with HP. I don't give a fuck. I didn't care when 9/11 happened either.
sure, I can't say I had a feeling it really affected me in any way, either. but IF, oh god The If, there would've been loved ones of mine at that exact time at that exact place, I would've been.. let's say.. pretty nervous about it.

JoY
07-08-2005, 11:09 AM
No. I dealt with that point already. If it happened in a place I care about, I would, naturally, care. But London? Don't give a shit. Neither should you. The only reason you, among others, do care is becase the newsman do a very good job of bringing the story in your perspective. Seriously. That's the basic rules of journalism--make the audience feel involved.

If i watched the news, I would probably end up caring too. I'm not some kind of monster who can watch the tragedy with ampathy. But I didn't see a single footage. Hence, i'm oblivious to their problems.
oh I can't say I really, really, REALLY fucking care. I DON'T feel involved, though it's a nasty thought this is happening so goddam close to Amsterdam, plus it's a capital city & you never know when they decide to pick this country for a change.

I'm just saying that I UNDERSTAND the importance to people, who do feel involved & practically ARE involved, to know whether everyone they know there is okay. that's all.

Diamond Dee
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
sure, I can't say I had a feeling it really affected me in any way, either. but IF, oh god The If, there would've been loved ones of mine at that exact time at that exact place, I would've been.. let's say.. pretty nervous about it.
It was pure hell for my family. I remember my aunt trying to get in contact with because she knew I was there and she couldn't. When she finally got through she was crying badly. The same with Robbie's family. It was awful.

JoY
07-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I wanted to say I can imagine, but I really can't. it must be freakingly horrible & I'm just glad I don't have to go through it.

Diamond Dee
07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I think it was worse for our family because trying to get in contact with us was tricky. For us we were trying to figure out a way back home. It took 3 days of driving and flying but we finally made it. Everyone was relieved when we were in California.

Paint_It_Black
07-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Na there are actually white shop keepers in Birmingham. I was shocked when I moved out of London.

Why'd you move to Birmingham?

Diamond Dee, did you used to post as Danica?

JoY
07-08-2005, 12:14 PM
uh huh, DD is Dana. =)

Paint_It_Black
07-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Awesome, I didn't know she had made the transition to the new bbs. Maybe I should post here a little more often.

JoY
07-08-2005, 12:54 PM
I definitely agree.

RXP
07-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Why'd you move to Birmingham?

University init.

clokey43
07-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Why are you talking to me?

Btw, excelent idea, paint_it_black. Ill forward it to my superiours in Pak***an.

For the purpose of keeping a safe hideout from the CIA, the location at which my superiours are hiding has been censored.

Free speach i think is the answer!

SicN Twisted
07-16-2005, 04:45 AM
1565, I've never really told you how awesome you are. Well, until this thread, I'd never really realized how awesome you are. You've always had a great taste in music, but this is just over the top coolness. What you're doing is wonderful and I really hope it benefits people who need it. I recently spoke to the frantic parents of my friend studying in London who couldn't contact their son and it was really sad and frightening. Anyways, kudos. If I actually attend this NYC meetup, I'm buying you a drink for this.