PDA

View Full Version : Cogs and other bootlegs

Manic subsidal
07-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I never noticed this before -

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3099/15kz.gif

Cogs is on that setlist! I wonder if anyone has a bootleg of this. When people asked if anyone had an mp3 of cogs, I used to think that it was pointless to ask because it's a really old song, no one would have it. But it they played it live around the smash-era, then hell... there might be a chance somebody has at least a live version of this song!

There's also a few other things I'm wondering about -

Bootleg - The Offspring

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4333/theoffspringb6vk.jpg

1.We Are One
2.Jennifer Lost The War
3.L.A.P.D.
4.Beheaded
5.Black Ball
6.Kick Him When He's Down
7.Get It Right
8.Kill The President
9.Dirty Magic
10.Cover #1
11.Cover #2
12.Forever And A Day

Anyone know what tracks 10. and 11. are? I wonder what covers they did :confused:

Bootleg - Come out and smash

http://img292.echo.cx/img292/6263/coasmash1fp.jpg

1.Jennifer Lost The War
2.Black Ball
3.Beheaded
4.Burn It Up
5.Untitled (Mission From God)
6.All I Want
7.The Blurb
8.Hey Joe
9.Sorority Bitch
10.Self Esteem (demo version)
11.Genocide (demo version)
12.What Happened To You?
13.Territorial Pissings (live)
14.Smells Like Teen Spirit (live)

I never heard the Self Esteem and Genocide demos!! But I doubt anyone has this because Mission From God is on this bootleg and nobody had Mission from god until Punk-o-rama 10 was out. I also didn't know they did Smells like teen spirit live.

Anyone have these songs/bootlegs? You will be my internet hero if you upload them.

Danno
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, I have a few answers for some of these questions.

First off, on the setlist "Cogs" is actually "Gotta Get Away". Since they turned "Cogs" into "Gotta Get Away" it was easier to just call it that on a setlist. That setlist is actually from the Smash-era tour (1994-95). "Ska" is actually "What Happened to You". They called it that because it sounded ska-ish. Besides it was easier to fit those words on a setlist than the actual titles. There are a few others abbreviated as well:

Kill Boy=Killboy Powerhead
Kick=Kick Him When He's Down
Come=Come Out and Play

As for the bootlegs....I have quite a collection of Offspring bootlegs (Got my first in 1995) and have over 40 now. I used to have a copy of that first one and one of the cover's was "Ballroom Blitz" but I cannot remember the other. All I remember was that the sound quality was horrible. As for that 2nd bootleg, I have never seen it before but on someone's Offspring Web site so I am not even really sure it exists. They did cover Nirvana's "Territorial Pissings" during quite a few shows during the Smash tour and I have an mp3 of it somewhere but you are probably better off finding it on someone's Web site. Hope that clears some things up.

-Danno

Rabbit209
07-07-2005, 10:32 PM
14.Smells Like Teen Spirit (live)

I would cut off my tesitcles and eat them if I could here The Offspring play that song.

bd007h
07-07-2005, 10:56 PM
I really want to hear cogs.

Camilamazed
07-07-2005, 11:08 PM
I really want to hear cogs.

So do I.

10 thingies

Venom Symbiote
07-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Danno speaks the truth.

To Danno you listen, young padawans, hmm! ;) :)

Punk_Conspiracy
07-08-2005, 03:07 AM
I agree with just about everything Danno said. If you want to hear Cogs - put on Smash and go to track 4!

Demos are usually nothing interesting, unless they're extremely varied from what will later turn out to be the album recording, example the Living in Chaos demo I think is better then the Co1 version, though it is a lot longer then it should be.

And finally - where did you find all this crap??

barangatang
07-08-2005, 03:27 AM
I would cut off my tesitcles and eat them if I could here The Offspring play that song.

i would do the same except i would put some flavering on the testes

Rabbit209
07-08-2005, 05:54 AM
i would do the same except i would put some flavering on the testes

Well of course, you can not eat ones own manly hood without the right herbs and spices.

noodlesfan
07-08-2005, 09:39 AM
well, i dont think that you will ever find a good version of cogs, or any other one of the songs played by manic subsidal on the internet. It was a long time ago, and there werent a whole lot of the records made. I would be supprised if more than 50 have survived this whole time.

Manic subsidal
07-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Well, I have a few answers for some of these questions.

First off, on the setlist "Cogs" is actually "Gotta Get Away". Since they turned "Cogs" into "Gotta Get Away" it was easier to just call it that on a setlist. That setlist is actually from the Smash-era tour (1994-95). "Ska" is actually "What Happened to You". They called it that because it sounded ska-ish. Besides it was easier to fit those words on a setlist than the actual titles. There are a few others abbreviated as well:

Kill Boy=Killboy Powerhead
Kick=Kick Him When He's Down
Come=Come Out and Play

As for the bootlegs....I have quite a collection of Offspring bootlegs (Got my first in 1995) and have over 40 now. I used to have a copy of that first one and one of the cover's was "Ballroom Blitz" but I cannot remember the other. All I remember was that the sound quality was horrible. As for that 2nd bootleg, I have never seen it before but on someone's Offspring Web site so I am not even really sure it exists. They did cover Nirvana's "Territorial Pissings" during quite a few shows during the Smash tour and I have an mp3 of it somewhere but you are probably better off finding it on someone's Web site. Hope that clears some things up.

-Danno

Thanks a lot, that did clear a few things up. I kind of got bummed though about cogs actually being gotta get away on that setlist. They could of just made it "gotta" because that's short enough lmao. Anyways, even if that one bootleg doesn't exist, I know for sure those 3 songs (that no one here has heard of) do really exist (I'm talking about smells like teen spirt (live) and genocide & self esteem demos). How do I know? Because Mission from god was on that bootleg. If that song was released just a while ago, then the other songs on this bootleg can't be fake!

By the way, it'd be cool to listen to the self esteem and genocide demos. They might be totally different. who knows? I bet on the self esteem demo, they didn't have the lalalalala part.

Hm.. well now I'm just wondering what the other cover song is. Maybe it's stand by me?

Oh and someone asked where I got these bootlegs? Hell if I knew... a long time ago, back at the old bbs, I used to have a site called www.offspringbootlegs.cjb.net (site is dead, don't even bother going to it) and I had tons and tons of bootlegs up there. Just a while ago I noticed the cogs title on the setlist so that's why I made this topic.

sneedo
07-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Danno..... Why don't you post more often dude, you seem to have some inteligence, which is a rarity on this forum.

Danno
07-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey Sneedo,

I would post a little more but I'm not on-line as much as I used to be. I'm sort of "one of the old guys" still lurking on this board who still loves the Offspring. I actually joined the on-line Offspring community here back in 1996 before the Offspring ever had an official Web site and the most reliable source of information was a Web page ran but Cory Hammer who had ties with the band. It was probably the most informative site on the Offspring ever made because he took contributions from all fans and the band itself as far as news and info. He also ran the first Offspring mailing list. It was quite small and only had about 30-40 members including Dexter himself.

So now it has been 9 years and about 5 new generations of fans all asking the same questions which is very understandable because bands gain and lose fans everyday (or at least every album release), and everyone is new at some point. It gets very tedious answering the same questions and quashing incorrect rumors year after year. But I'll still chime in from time to time giving out information that I see fit. Sorry about the long history read.

-Danno

Manic Subsidal Boy
08-26-2006, 09:32 PM
bringin' Up and old topic but who cares. Does anyone have an mp3 of Cogs, i've been searchin'

Not special
08-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Once I was looking for smells like teen spirit cover and I found it
Isnt dexter voice, Im not sure who sang that. I heard some people saying noodles sang it, but Im not sure...
Well, take a look
here (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0972A2856B6F5F21)

Mr. Noodles
08-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Isnt dexter voice, Im not sure who sang that. I heard some people saying noodles sang it, but Im not sure...
Well, take a look
here (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0972A2856B6F5F21)
Thank you. I remember people saying it didn't sound like Dexter. If I really knew what Noodles sounded like during the Smash Era, then we'd probably know who sings it.
NOTE: Has anyone else heard Greg sing?

nightvision
08-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, take a look

How do you even know it's the Offspring...? As you say, it's not Dexter's voice. I'm convinced it ain't Noodles who's singing either. And what about the end when some guy says 'thanks everybody, thank you"? It sure doesn't sound like anyone from the Offspring.

Mr. Noodles
08-27-2006, 01:11 PM
How do you even know it's the Offspring...? As you say, it's not Dexter's voice. I'm convinced it ain't Noodles who's singing either. And what about the end when some guy says 'thanks everybody, thank you"? It sure doesn't sound like anyone from the Offspring.
It could be someone else.
Does anyone else remember the original thread about the Smells Like Teen Spirit cover?

Biggest offspring fan
08-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Take a look at this thread: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11854&highlight=bootlegs. You cant download anything now becuase the link is probarbly old and deleted. But i downloaded all that was intresting.

Forza
08-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I think it is Dexter singing... the voice at the part were the vocals start are really similar to Dexter's voice. Later on it sounds like it's someone else singing.

nightvision
08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Take a look at this thread: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11854&highlight=bootlegs. You cant download anything now becuase the link is probarbly old and deleted. But i downloaded all that was intresting.

And what the hell was the point with this...?

Ryder1234
08-27-2006, 07:13 PM
I bet on the self esteem demo, they didn't have the lalalalala part.

on the dualdisc version of gh dexter says they were gonna start self esteem on acoustics, mabey thats how the demo goes

Venom Symbiote
08-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I think this should probably be clarified a little: "Gotta Get Away" isn't "Cogs". "Cogs" was reworked into "Gotta Get Away", the final product kind of morphed from the slower part of the original track.

I doubt there's any recordings of "Cogs" as it was in its previous form (demos or live), but it was a distinct song. They just ditched it, and reworked it much later using one single component of it to write a new one.

Polish
08-28-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm not sure the Smells like Teen Spirit cover exists, but I do have an mp3 of The Offspring covering "Territorial Pissings" live. It's crappy quality, but its definitely the offspring and dex singing. That cover of smells like teen spirit is definitely not the offspring. :o

Venom Symbiote
08-28-2006, 06:05 AM
They've played it live once or twice (a long long time ago), it was just never recorded. No bootlegs of it, I'm pretty sure. But it's in too many band history web documents to be a fake, pretty sure they did play it at a show or two back in the day.

Amazed
08-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Take a look at this thread: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11854&highlight=bootlegs. You cant* download anything now becuase* the link is probarbly* old and deleted. But i* downloaded all that was intresting*.

what does that have to do with... anything?

(*can't *because *probably *I *interesting)

nightvision
08-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Employer: So, Peter, where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Peter thinking: Don't say "Doing your wife", don't say "Doing your wife"...

Peter: Doing your... *sees family portrait* ...son.

LMAO! :D :D