PDA

View Full Version : Philosophical thoughts, for those who've been here a while.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Imagine all the hours that you've spent reading and posting on this board. Imagine all the time that you'd have spent doing something else, had you not found this forum. What would you have done? What would you have done to fill all those dozens, even hundreds of hours you spent posting and reading here instead?

That's another thing - how would your life be different, had you not found this place? Maybe there's another forum, somewhere, that you never joined - that would have changed your life for ever, maybe as much as this one has.

This sounded a lot better in my head.

satitania
07-08-2005, 07:56 PM
i probably would haev studied a lot more during exam time...in fact, im sure of it....

Camilamazed
07-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Well.. I would have been working...
:D
Now That I've found another job mu hours here will lessen, therefore lots of people will be happy ........ Buuuuuuuut I will show up when I arrive home.....yaaaaay

Linda
07-08-2005, 08:04 PM
I would have continued doing what I always did. Watch TV, play Nintendo, clean house. Sound fun?! :p

satitania
07-08-2005, 08:09 PM
that does sound fun

Little_Miss_1565
07-08-2005, 08:15 PM
NYC is not the place for me to be living. So I spend time at home...online...on the bbs. Last summer when I was in Boston I was barely ever here. But now I guess the emotional attatchment is back...I missed you guys man...

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-08-2005, 08:16 PM
What would you have done, had you never found this place?

Ooh, I've just thought of another one - how about the people who never found this place, but could have changed your life, had they found it?

SkunkIt
07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
i probably would haev studied a lot more during exam time...in fact, im sure of it....

I would have continued doing what I always did. Watch TV, play Nintendo, clean house. Sound fun?! :p
What they said, also, I would be riding my bike. The new question, I don't know what to answer for it.

0r4ng3
07-08-2005, 08:34 PM
If I never found this BBS, I would probably be sleeping, playing guitar, or playing Xbox. I would also never stay awake past 12:30am.

Oh wait, this is for those who have been here a while. Does 3 months count?

Tired_Of_You
07-08-2005, 08:49 PM
NYC is not the place for me to be living. So I spend time at home...online...on the bbs. Last summer when I was in Boston I was barely ever here. But now I guess the emotional attatchment is back...I missed you guys man...It's because last summer the bbs wasn't working ;)

To anser you Dave, I'm not sure. Probably doing something else on the internet? Actually, most of the time I spend on the bbs, I spend it doing other things at the same time (reading stuff on the internet, cleaning my room, studying for exams, msn, etc). There's something I love from this bbs, it's that it helped me a lot with my English. I know most of you don't remember me from back in 2002, but my English was horrible. Now I think it's better.

I don't think I would have joined another bbs. This one is the only one I ever posted regularly and... a lot I must say. I don't think this bbs really changed my life and I don't think I changed things here and I'll probably never.

Little_Miss_1565
07-08-2005, 08:51 PM
It's because last summer the bbs wasn't working ;)

GOOD POINT! Is that why I had a social life and went out almost every night?

Rag Doll
07-08-2005, 08:57 PM
I would probably be going to a better university. I spent time here that should have been spent studying.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure. It's a bit depressing to think about.

Betty
07-08-2005, 09:03 PM
I really don't know what I would have done instead. Quite possibly something on the Internet. Or just something else mundane like reading or watching TV or whatever.

What I would have missed out on? Getting to know some really awesome people. Also, I suppose going on Offspring roadtrips.

Rabbit209
07-08-2005, 10:49 PM
If I didn't ever come to this thread, I wouldn't ever have answered this question.

Izie
07-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Let's see... I'd be at home, studying Godknowswhat, I wouldn't have mah bunnies, I wouldn't know Dutch, I'd have probably spent a lot of time doing other useless activities (such as playing video games), or possibly going out with people (but not very likely).

All in all, the BBS has been good for me. Very, very good for me.

I'd make a more elaborate reply, but I'm sort of hyperishly busy rigfht now :/

JoY
07-08-2005, 11:08 PM
it really makes a huge big-ass difference to me, if I'd never registered here & the fact that I did.. there was a lot of drama around wliethof & me in real life, but also a major lot here online.

suppose I -had- dated him, but that I never came to the bbs? I wouldn't have known about Tizz (which would have been.. painful), I wouldn't have known who Vicky was (knowing her puts things in context), I wouldn't have known Tizz her situation (so I really probably would've hated her) & so on, & so on.

a LOT of things went ENTIRELY different, because I once joined this place. I try to see the positive stuff as much as possible, but I know very well how much of a mess I was then. I know very well I couldn't stand seeing Willem online, but not in real life & went back to him. I'm well aware the drama (partly online) was so painful, I've done things that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.

but I also know that in a few moments, I'm going to Centraal Station to pick up a couple of the most kind, wonderful, smart & interesting people I've ever talked to.

the_GoDdEsS
07-08-2005, 11:45 PM
If it hadn't been for this BBS my English would probably be worse than it is now. I wouldn't have found two of my bestest friends I love dearly and many other people I consider my friends. I wouldn't be going to Amsterdam this afternoon.

I'd probably be doing something else, something lame on the internet. I've no idea but it would be a lot different.

the_GoDdEsS
07-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks! It's not bad, I just gotta work on my vocab a little more. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to languages. I just think it would be bad if I hadn't been reading/posting here for years. When I first came here I used simple conversational English. It was still correct, just simple.

Faded Soul
07-09-2005, 12:07 AM
well if I hadn't bothered to join, I probably wouldn't be able to ignore people who fuck with me. I remember when a lot of people here fucked with me. Sure it bothered me, now it's one of those 'whatever' things. ya know.

plus I wouldn't have met quite a few people who made an impact on my life and myself. Although I could have missed all the drama that came along with it. :p

Preocupado
07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Without this place in here i'd be playing some blood splattering pc game, killing fantasies.

This place may not have all the human contact that humans need, but there are good ideas and humor exchange going on.

So cheers!

Paint_It_Black
07-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Well, I expect I would have spent the time reading, sleeping, watching tv...nothing particularly important that I can think of. I wouldn't have posted much on any other boards, it just never appealed to me. There was something special about this one that kept bringing me back.

I'm glad I spent the time here. Not only did I make a good friend, but I enjoyed being part of an international community. Seeing people get along based solely on who they were, not on race or nationality. Well, it appeared that way to me anyway. And I learned a lot here. We have some very intelligent and knowledgable members, and some of that diffused into me without even trying. And other times I did try and then I learned even more. Sometimes from exploring links posted by people I respected, sometimes by just researching something they mentioned on my own. In a sense I grew up here. I'm 23 now and I've been posting here at least since I was 16, I don't remember exactly. I learned how to argue, and importantly when not to. I learned not to take everything so seriously. I was inspired to better myself. Most often by the impressive English skills of people for whom it is not a first language. They are so often better at it than a lot of English and American people I know...and usually very modest about their ability. This place has even helped me get through some tough times. There is value in having people you like and/or respect that you can talk to, while also keeping a high level of anonymity.

It's always pleasing watching someone new join who thinks they know everything and quickly get put in their place. Especially when you can actually watch that person mature over time, learn things about the world and about themselves they may never have learned otherwise. This place is a fascinating little community from a psychological/sociological standpoint. I still have never been able to figure out what makes some people come back again and again for years, while others come and go, never to be seen again. Why some feel a connection here, and others just don't. It's all very interesting.

Anya82
07-09-2005, 01:54 AM
^ that's interesting, really.

for me... probably i would have spent that time working, studying, watching movies. And i wouldn't be friends with some people in here who i really appreaciate.

If it hadn't been for this BBS my English would probably be worse than it is now.
And that too. My english sucks, but it was even worse before, cause i've learned how some words are written, learned new expressions, and i've been corrected by some people (thanks). Still.. i have plenty of stuff to learn...

original_psycho
07-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Hmm, I would have probably continued watching TV from morning till late at night, probably reading some books once in a while, I probably would have never had insomnia problems and probably would have slept more, my english would have sucked more, I wouldn't have met some really nice people to which I talk to sometimes, I wouldn't have heard of some really great bands I really love right now and I probably would have payed attention more to those stupid exams. Well, not really, I would have slept when I should have been studying anyway. So pretty much my life would have sucked anyway. Wait, does being here from December 2004 count as being here for a while? Meh, whatever.

Ohfunny
07-09-2005, 07:36 AM
i haven't exactly been here for long, i've just racked up a few posts, and if i hadn't have been reccomended the site by Punky Dudess......well, i'd be actually doing my homework ! :eek:

Vera
07-09-2005, 07:44 AM
NYC is not the place for me to be living. So I spend time at home...online...on the bbs. Last summer when I was in Boston I was barely ever here. But now I guess the emotional attatchment is back...I missed you guys man...
Or then Boston rocks over NYC.

RED SOX!

Ahem.

My English would be shittier and I probably wouldn't see Amsterdam for another decade. And lovely people etc etc.

RXP
07-09-2005, 08:06 AM
I woudln't have had sex with a BBS memeber for one.

And also it's an opportunity cost question. When we take one path we foresake all others. I woudl have prolly just messed about on the computer elsewhere.

Little_Miss_1565
07-09-2005, 08:07 AM

LIES. Who'd you bone?

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-09-2005, 08:08 AM

*Raises eyebrow* I'm intrigued.

I myself would probably have stayed as I did back in the MoR days. I'd probably have no self-assertion, and I'd have spent the last few years groping around desperately for another fallback when I have nothing to do.

And I wouldn't have met some fuckingly awesome people. <3

Vera
07-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Fucking yourself hardly counts, Dush dearest.

RXP
07-09-2005, 08:11 AM
A sleeze bag never tells people.

Vera
07-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Er. So you're a sleaze bag?

Little_Miss_1565
07-09-2005, 08:17 AM
A sleeze bag never tells people.

But whoever you boned will NEVER admit they did you! Now we'll never find out...

;)

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-09-2005, 08:18 AM
If you weren't going to tell who it was, why did you mention it at all?

Vera
07-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Because his penis doesn't have its own web journal yet so we really had no way of knowing.

Paint_It_Black
07-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Come on Vera, just admit it's you. We'll forgive you in time. Just don't let him procreate.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Plus a fair percentage of the women on here are horrifically attractive, so his e-penis just grew a couple inches.

RXP
07-09-2005, 08:36 AM
My penis grows over ugly women too, if they're naked.

Vera
07-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Too much info, kthnx.

Nina
07-09-2005, 09:23 AM
i wouldnt have had two serious relationships, and with that my life would have been VERY different. but i wont get into that.
i wouldnt have made close friends, i wouldnt have lost/still kept them. i wouldnt have met many people, i wouldnt have experienced all the arguing so early. my english would have been worse. our phone bills would have been lower, i would have had more money for myself.

Noodles is gay
07-11-2005, 11:50 AM

damn yes. :mad:

RXP
07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
If NiG didn't come here she'd just talk shit about classics to someone else who'd want to get away from her ASAP.

Paint_It_Black
07-11-2005, 12:50 PM
How come you capitalise the "G" when you write "NiG"? She only capitalised the first word of her name.

RXP
07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
It looks far better saying NiG then Nig. cuase Nig = black man NiG = middle class ugly whore.

Paint_It_Black
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Refering to her as a black man could more amusing.

RXP
07-11-2005, 12:54 PM
She has the brains of a black man. Lolz