PDA

View Full Version : Offspring in Drum Media

Punk_Conspiracy
07-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Note: There was also a new pic of the band that came along with this, I'll try and find a scanner and put it up later.

REPEAT SUCCESS
THE OFFSPRING story by MURRAY ENGLEHEART

The Offspring's guitarist, Noodles, quietly knew when the band had made it, not so much when they where invited to the MTV Awards, but when they where privy to the theatrical bonding of U2's Bono and Mick Jagger backstage.

"We'd just finished an interview with these two blonde girls who, I don't know, do interviews because they're hot and blonde!" he laughs. "Mick Jagger and Bono walked right past us and Mick Jagger's just looking at the girls. He doesn't even see me. I mean he looks right through me at these girls and then Bono actually taps me on the shoulder and says 'Ah yes, the stairs to success, I suppose will shall have to climb them then', looking at the girls. I thought it was a great line."

It might seem hard to believe, even laughable now, but there was a time when bookmakers where taking bets on who would reach the top of the modern day punk heap first - Pennywise or The Offspring. These days 32 million album sales tips the scales in the Offspring's favour and in the ultimate act of indignity Orange County most famous export - now in their third decade of existence - are spearheading this year's Warped Tour of North America, once a signatory Pennywise stamping ground. But no-one in the band has a Ferrai or a place in the Bahamas.

"None of us seriously have an extravagant lifestyle," says Noodles "We where in a band for ten years before we really had one nickel of success and so we realised this is kind of who we are, let's not screw with this too much," he laughs. "And I think we're able to keep at least one foot on the ground at all times."

A Greatest Hits album (available in the regular format as well as a DualDisc with a DVD) puts the Offspring's career, a gift that just keeps on successfully giving, into a tightly compressed perspective. While the cracking A Million Miles Away sadly doesn't make the cut, the Greatest Hits set does include the masterful ode to teenage angst, Self Esteem, which Gene Simmons once tagged a classic; the huge hits Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) and Why Don't You Get A Job; plus a bonus version of the Police's Next to You and, to the amusement of Noodles, the newly recorded Can't Repeat.

"Everyone who does a greatest hits record has to put on a new song now, I guess to keep up with the Internet and all the technoogy and stuff. I kind of mis the old days when a Greatest Hits record was just a Greatest Hits record; but it was kind of fun to do that, you know, have something new out as well."

The album conjures up all sorts of memories for Noodles, but it's the phenomenal success of their knockdown, breakthrough album, Smash, in 1994 that looks largest. "Smash was kind of whirlwind almost to the point where it put us all on edge. Everything was changing so fast and we had this intense kind of focus on us. It was great and exciting and it was also kind of scary and spooky in some respects."

A few years later, when the band were ridding the high tide of yet another wave of success on the back of either 1997's Ixnay On The Hombre or 1998's Americana albums, a pair of homecoming shows at local Orange County amphitheatre brought their journey to date into focus.

"Local shows are crazy because all our families and all our friends from high school and everyone comes out of the woodwork and the backstage is just non stop signing autographs and shaking hands. The shows were just phenomenal and the audience both nights was just incredible. I remember after the first night walking back to my car with my wife and the stands were empty and it was really quiet and I turned around and looked at the empty bleachers and I said to my wife, 'What the fuck just happened!?' I never thought I'd be playing shows like that."

Or perhaps be doing what he's doing at the ripe old age of 40. The Offspring aren't kids anymore yet are showing no signs of wearing out their ability to write classic teen or thereabouts punk anthems. Ironic? Not as far as Noodles is concerned.

"I may be too close to it, it may strike young kids as odd but hopefully they'll all make it to this age and kind of realise it's not. Maybe it's because we got into the punk rock stuff when we where young. Punk rock was kinda what helped us define who we are and who we wanted to be in this world and the love of the music is still there with all of us. I still listen to punk rock more then any other genre of music. I listen to a lot of stuff but punk rock is what I always go back to."

barangatang
07-09-2005, 01:13 AM
awsome story.

barangatang
07-09-2005, 01:15 AM
was the magizine called "drum media"?

Punk_Conspiracy
07-09-2005, 01:20 AM
was the magizine called "drum media"?

Yep. 10 characters

Dexter_H
07-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the read. Any success on the scans?

The-Offspring-RuLe
07-09-2005, 06:27 AM
Wow that interview rocked, a good read

offspring kid
07-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Yep. 10 characters

hey man get the pictures fast !