PDA

View Full Version : Anorexics high on pride...

nitropenguin!
07-09-2005, 01:59 PM
And those of other eating disorders. Everyone wants that superior, withered look and always have. I hate to be reminded of this. The “lifestyle” is definitely looking appealing to those who only want to become another fad as well. These disorders have originated from a disease, to a flat out conformity. Or, maybe even a cult. ‘Cause, you know you’ve noticed they all have their own language and a back-and-forth obsession with: my friends “don’t understand me.”

It’s no longer a scream for sympathy and reassurance that they’re loved for what they are. How do we classify it now? It seems as though people gather to celebrate the fact that they’re going to rot from the inside, out. - We’d all REALLY care to hear about your latest purge! Or the last time you passed out on a stomach full of only Diet Vanilla Coke! Diet? No way! Cancer? Meh. – Regardless of whether or not diet sodas cause cancer, I’ve seen these people consider it and brush it off. Just as long as they get to lose that 35 pounds. Only one body image can be considered beautiful art that deserves to be flaunted.

You familiar with that image? The body type that us sane people don’t understand? That motivates our desire to rip out whatever is left of that suffering body? Yeah, it’s beautiful alright.

It’ll never be a righteous thing to do. Maybe I can respect the fact that those supercilious anorexics have SOMEONE to idolize with wide eyes, regardless of who these people they look up to may be (example 1 (http://psych.wisc.edu/henriques/resources/Vogue%20Model.gif), 2 (http://www.mtv.com/movies/a-z/o/olsen_mary_kate/150x200.jpg) [face it, we’ve come to love her after the massive weight loss]). But really, do you think they should be acting as if they’re taking part in a godly act?

I’ve recently noticed a group of people with eating disorders doesn’t mean they’re working together to stay strong. It means they’re all just classifying it as motivation to keep at the lack of appetite. If you ask me, that sounds a lot like going to an alcoholic anonymous gathering looking to get a hangover the following morning.

Further opinion?

Rabbit209
07-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I agree, I think. Not really sure what that was all about though.

St. Jimmy
07-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I just click on the pics, and read the title and know what this is about.

nieh
07-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Similar to how one can get a group of cutters together telling each other the best ways to make the scars more visable and congratulating someone if they carve a word into their skin. It's depressing because the people think they're their friends and that they're accepted and cared about (which may be true to a minor extent) but it's really just adding to the self-made delusional hell that these people put themselves in.

Little_Miss_1565
07-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I agree that there's a serious problem where some people look at anorexia as a lifestyle to be emulated...but honestly, I don't think it's a society-wide epidemic. I've heard nothing but complaints about Lindsay Lohan's weight loss from every guy I know. Women with curves are all over television--see also society's new obsession with not just booty, but boo-tay. Fuck, women get butt implants in increasing numbers.

I have some serious curves, and though I've had a lot of negative body image issues in the past, my skinny friends tell me that they wish they had the shape I do. And well, I've certainly never heard complaints from dates. Quite the opposite, actually.

In conclusion, the heroin-chic anorexic waif look does not have the hold over our society that it once did. It's cuasing other problems to develop, like these anorexic "support groups," but I think it's a lot easer to be a real woman now than ever.

RXP
07-10-2005, 01:34 AM
I have some serious curves

Pictures? Also stats.

Also the bodyimage thing is pretty gay. 1565 you said skinny friends what your shape? My larger friends would like a bodyl ike mine (i.e where it's easy to get a six pack and eat what you want, when you want). The grass is always greener. I'd love to have a fat guys body cause I'd do something about it to look good/huge/freaky. It's just grass is always greener. You just gotta be happy with the shit you got.

That used to be my big problem. Now I'm fine with myself.

Also the whole idea that bodies change with time, I totally agree with. But TTiG said that skinny women were in 10 years ago, I don't think they were. Maybe ont he catwalks but not the type of girls teenagers wank over. The current body shape is as good as women have ever looked. I'm talking like glamour modles. They're thinner and have bigger (natural) chests. THe reason they're thinner is cause of modern day nutrition knowledge and working out. I highly doubt the fasion will go back to the 'house wife' loo of the 50s.

Ironically with guys it's the other way round. Manual labour kept us in shape, now you have to gym it up.

But what the everyday women on the street doesn't get is guys find them cute, sure not 'wankable' as a glamour model but they're attractive to some. I like big chested women but it's not like I don't find skinny, flat chested girls cute.

Again it all comes down to women being insecure idoits who want all guys to lust after them even when they're happy wtih a guy.

It's the same with guys even, to a lesser extent. My housemate last year was a fucking loser. He thought he'd get a girlfriend by "getting ripped" (which he never got). A lot of guys go to the gym cause they think that body image is what to strive for.

And Butt implants wtf. You have to sit on your ass all day. Surely that would be weird/dangerous. Speaking of which some guys even get calf implants. I mean wtf!

darko
07-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Reading mags, they compaints that girls are two thin, then the moment they look remotely healthy and put a little weight on, its these same mags that are poking fun at them for been "fat"

Whats a girl to do? Either way, you cant seem to win!

actually its not just mags, its everywhere!

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Pictures? Also stats.

Also the bodyimage thing is pretty gay. 1565 you said skinny friends what your shape? My larger friends would like a bodyl ike mine (i.e where it's easy to get a six pack and eat what you want, when you want). The grass is always greener. I'd love to have a fat guys body cause I'd do something about it to look good/huge/freaky. It's just grass is always greener. You just gotta be happy with the shit you got.

Dush dearest, having serious curves does not mean "fat girls body." I have a near perfect hourglass figure. Glamour models and other skinny girls tend to not have that shape.

RXP
07-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Yah, that's why i asked for pics and stats i.e. cupsize. Duh.

So fess up.

Flexing Wings
07-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Again it all comes down to women being insecure idoits who want all guys to lust after them even when they're happy wtih a guy.

It's attitudes like that that create :

‘Cause, you know you’ve noticed they all have their own language and a back-and-forth obsession with: my friends “don’t understand me.”

They have actually done psychological research into Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia and now reckon that it represents the persons subconscious want to regress back into the foetal state...

Also some psychologists believe that the disorders can be ingrained from problems in the persons childhood, e.g. being bullied by siblings for the way you look when younger and your parents not really doing much about it... or maybe even nothing at all (which is subconsciously then the parents reaffirmation that the way you look IS wrong...)

I don't fully understand the 'foetal' side of the concept as yet, but the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think that eating disorders should ALWAYS be confused with being pressured by society or being shallow (i.e. stupid celebrities that hire dieticians to get to the 'ideal weight', because they usually are doing it safely and professionally)... But actually it can be the aforemetioned deeply embedded problem with self-image. The product of which can be states where women actually cannot stand to look at themselves in the mirror because they hate everything about themselves... Or where women cannot possibly conceive of how someone could find them attractive and therefore consolation or some kind of verification of beauty just doesn't work... (i.e. you know the person isn't simply being an attention whore).

I think it's a shame people seem to assume that it's always about something as shallow as what the world wants them to look like... (that just doesn't help).

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2005, 10:39 AM
^Problems deeply ingrained from childhood, a chemical imbalance, or a traumatic event is the cause of just about every disorder. I don't think everyone here believes all anorexics don't have a serious mental problem.

Why put an o in fetal? You don't pronounce it 'fow-eat-al' do you? I just say fetal.

TTIG, it's the British spelling. Pronounced the same way as the American. Kind of like 'diarrhea' and 'diarrhoea.' And I agree, anorexia seems to be more a symptom than a disease in and of itself.

Dush--If I remember correctly, last I measured was 38-28-38. Happy?

Flexing Wings
07-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't think everyone here believes all anorexics don't have a serious mental problem..

I wasn't trying to insinuate what anyone believes... I was mearly replying to the two highlighted quotes.

Why put an o in fetal? You don't pronounce it 'fow-eat-al' do you? I just say fetal.

And why must YOU take the 'U's out of colour, labour, etc... have YOU know respect for tradition? :p

Really.

RXP
07-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Dush--If I remember correctly, last I measured was 38-28-38. Happy?

I don't even know what that means. But yeah.

Sin Studly
07-10-2005, 10:58 AM
And why must YOU take the 'U's out of colour, labour, etc... YOU have know respect for tradition?

No is traditionally spelt without a k and w.

RXP
07-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I think it's a shame people seem to assume that it's always about something as shallow as what the world wants them to look like... (that just doesn't help)..

With most teens it is tho. I totally agree not in ALL cases. But I'm pretty sure you didn't find the amount of eating disorders 20 years ago as you do today.

Flexing Wings
07-10-2005, 11:04 AM
No is traditionally spelt without a k and w.

Yeah sorry I was taken-a-back and somewhat flustered by the comment about my spelling of foetus when I come from one of the only true Mother Lands in this world...

*Prostrates self to Sin*

Flexing Wings
07-10-2005, 11:05 AM
With most teens it is tho. I totally agree not in ALL cases. But I'm pretty sure you didn't find the amount of eating disorders 20 years ago as you do today.

But also I think the differentiation should be made between attenion whoring... and a real problem that can't necessarily be 'grown out of ', if you know what I mean?

And that's to be expected with the media having so much more influence now than it did back then.

Sin Studly
07-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah sorry...

*Prostrates self to Sin*

All is forgiven, my child. Continue your petty little arguments.

RXP
07-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Precisely my point. Media influence.

And attention whoring is just as serious as the 'real' disease - it has the same effects.

I don't buy the wanting to go back to the foetal state thing. X pDoc says one thing, Y says another. one study says Z another says T. You get my point.

Flexing Wings
07-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Precisely my point. Media influence.

And attention whoring is just as serious as the 'real' disease - it has the same effects.

I don't buy the wanting to go back to the foetal state thing. X pDoc says one thing, Y says another. one study says Z another says T. You get my point.

Not exactly, but I personally have difficulty with that concept too. :)

I guess the principle is that Anorexia is (in that specific case) a symptom of it all being too much (work pressure, exhaustion, etc) and the concept of the foetus is getting back to the ultimate state of security and comfort... ?

But the strange echoes of Freudian theories are a little disconcerting (for me).

RXP
07-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Then suicidal behaviour is a yern for the foetal state. You can't cope anymore. Life's too much. It's a shit study. It's just self harm, another form of it anyway. I've known two anorixics and both agreed with me - self hate.

Betty
07-10-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't even know what that means. But yeah.

inches around the boobs, inches around the waist, inches around the hips

Meaning: very good.

RXP
07-10-2005, 12:10 PM
So cup size? You can't tell the cup size from those measurements right? Cause it's back size?

I can fill a AA cup

lost_nvrfound
07-10-2005, 12:54 PM
So cup size? You can't tell the cup size from those measurements right? Cause it's back size?

I can fill a AA cup
you can get the general idea though. i don't have much "shape" as it were. she's pretty lucky to have shape cause it makes shopping easier. the hip on clothes are almost always too big on me. like this one pair of pants that i have. the waist fits but i have lots of extra space in the hips. luckily i've lost weight since i got them so i can pull them down some so people don't notice. they're really baggy on me

Betty
07-10-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't know about the shopping thing because I have huge hips/ass and all the pants I try on show off major asscrack, leading me to think that they are made for a more narrow body type? And the ones that cover my ass go up way too high on my waist. I don't know... it's annoying anyway.

And Dush, no you can't tell the cup size, but I would guess at C (???) based on the other dimensions given, and what I know of my measurents, etc.

I really don't understand your obsession with exact cup size however. All that should matter is how they look in a tight shirt.

Brines
07-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Skinny chicks gross me out. They have to have a little something on them. I mean, if I hump you, would you break?

RXP
07-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I really don't understand your obsession with exact cup size however. All that should matter is how they look in a tight shirt.

*sigh* I don't really know either. But I just have to know.

Flexing Wings
07-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Then suicidal behaviour is a yern for the foetal state. You can't cope anymore. Life's too much. It's a shit study. It's just self harm, another form of it anyway. I've known two anorixics and both agreed with me - self hate.

Dunno mate, it was just what a therapist/psychologist had suggested to a friend of mine in conjunction with how her particular anorexia came about.

I do agree with what you say though (as I too understand through study and knowing people who suffered), but perhaps there are different types?

I had a long surf on the net trying to find out more, asking my mate who studied it in greater depth than me, and neither of us could really figure out the connection... but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's utter balls?

The only true motherland I recognised is the one unfortunetly festering with AIDS ridden poor blacks right now. And the extra letters are taken out because they're unecessary.

S'pose we'll always own the rights to our unreal chic little lives with the smog and the bowler hats and the plague... or we'll be the scum sucking morons who oppressed you (*your long dead ancestors who you never knew or really related to) hundreds of years ago before either you or I were born.

Either way, what a fucking consolation.

Just a Girl
07-11-2005, 03:40 PM
If I remember correctly, last I measured was 38-28-38.

tis indeed what is considered perfect hourglass shaped. but i am apparently perfect hourglass shape - where your hips and bust are the same and your waist 10 inches smaller. and i think it's rubbish because i am possibly one of the least curvy people i know. there is no way any sane person would look at me and describe me as curvy.

i can't decide exactly what i think about anorexia. it is hard to sympathise with people who take pride in being 'Ana' and don't want help. especially now that anorexia has become a trend, making it hard to decide who actually has a problem. i think that many people will pretend to have these disorders, because many teenagers think it's 'deep' to have any kind of mental problem. cutting, bulimia, depression, many people in my year have claimed to have these things. but from my experience the people who actually had eating disorders drew no attention to it whatsoever, and no-one really noticed until their bones were visible and they started collapsing. which is very odd, seeing as i have been plagued with anorexic accusations since i was 13, and i have never been anywhere near as thin as they got before people even really noticed something was wrong.

i do agree with 1565. it's not just skinny figures that are being promoted, nor is it just curvy figures. women are being encouraged to work with the figure they have rather than to all conform to a specific image of perfection.

i realise this is a huge amount of rubbish. but i'm too tired to read through it again and make it sound intelligent.