PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

Paint_It_Black
07-12-2005, 08:18 AM
So, who has one and what do you do? If you don't have one, or don't like what you are doing now, what do you think you'll do in the future? What would be your ideal job?

I work the night shift (usually) at a fairly decent hotel. Front desk work, cleaning, audit and general paperwork, and setting up the brekfast buffet. Boring mostly, but I get to pretend to work while actually just reading for at least two hours most nights, so I can't complain. I have no idea what I'll do in the future though. I don't really want the height of my ambition to be rising to the lofty ranks of hotel management.

killer_queen
07-12-2005, 08:24 AM
I've never worked before.

SkyRocker
07-12-2005, 08:36 AM
I've never worked before.
The same for me, i'm studying all the year and i don't wanna work during summer by a so hot time

Preecey
07-12-2005, 08:36 AM
I used to work as a library assistant, and soon after I turn 16 I'll be looking for a job. Working sucks. :mad:

My ideal job would be writer. I would love to become an author and right books. More realistically, I think I'd like to become a historian.

The-Offspring-RuLe
07-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm a IT assistant and work in a office, at N Power

killer_queen
07-12-2005, 08:47 AM
I used to work as a library assistant, and soon after I turn 16 I'll be looking for a job. Working sucks. :mad:

My ideal job would be writer. I would love to become an author and right books. More realistically, I think I'd like to become a historian.
You reminded me the guy on the Orange County movie.

Preecey
07-12-2005, 08:48 AM
You reminded me the guy on the Orange County movie.
Not seen it. Is that a compliment or what?

killer_queen
07-12-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't know. But he was a kind of idiot. But no, it's a compliment.

Preecey
07-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Idiot, eh? Sounds like he fits my character perfectly.

RXP
07-12-2005, 08:51 AM
My ex works at a hotel, poor thing works her ass off and gets paid hardly anything. And she's good at the job. Pisses me off. You well paid? Front desk work usually is.

I work in a call centre doing research on what people listen to on the radio. I love it there. Most people seem to hate it but it's such a doss job. I have to work a minimum of 9hours a week but can extend it to whatever I want, including 40 hours. So it's ideal for a student job. I can also turn up when I want and what days I want. I just stroll into the office do some work and even go home when I want. It's fucking awesome. The people are good there too. Get £5.65 an hour.

In the future? The typical thing for me would say: lawyer. But I dunno. Life leads you down many paths, I dunno.

Idiot
07-12-2005, 09:02 AM
I work for my county's council at the moment, doing admin work such as re-directing mail, recording/banking monies, making spreadsheets to record and calculate various profits. I also cover front desk two or three times a week. I work full-time, 37 hours a week, Mon-Fri. I don't really like it, but at 17, £6.56 an hour is pretty good.

After finishing school last year, I went to college in september but quit, realising I've had enough of education. After 2 months of being a bum I thought I better get a job!

I wish I knew what I wanted to do in the future, but I'm really undecided. IT is the field I would ideally like to be in, but at the moment, with only GCSE's to my name, I don't stand a chance. Fuck knows what I'm gonna be doing in 5 or 10 years. Guess I can only hope.

Camilamazed
07-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Cammie worked as a recepcionist a long time ago and has been working as a teacher for almost for years now....
It was very funny how I started.I always wanted to work as a secretary ina big company but that never happened. I started giving classes by chance.Now I love it very much hehe.
:D

Idiot
07-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Good for you, glad things worked out well for you. :)

Paint_It_Black
07-12-2005, 10:05 AM
After finishing school last year, I went to college in september but quit, realising I've had enough of education. After 2 months of being a bum I thought I better get a job!

I was in a similar situation a few years back. Now I really regret not getting a few more years education when it would have been easy for me to do so. I had no bills to pay, I was going to college full time, and in retrospect life was damn easy. But I was sick of education and wanted to experience what I thought of as real life. Well, I've discovered that real life sucks if you can't get a good job. I bet you have a lot of people telling you this, but seriously you might regret quitting college. The older you get the harder it gets to go back, for social and economic reasons.

My ex works at a hotel, poor thing works her ass off and gets paid hardly anything. And she's good at the job. Pisses me off. You well paid? Front desk work usually is.

Nah, I'm not well paid. $7.25 an hour. But my short term plan is just to get a little more time in where I'm at then start applying at hotels that pay better. There are some around here that start at around $9 an hour which would be a big improvement. And they don't make the front desk staff do any cleaning. I fucking hate scrubbing toilets in a shirt and tie, but the one I'm currently at was hiring and I needed the money and experience so it's working out well for me.

Your job sounds pretty damn nice, especially for a student like you said. Are you studying to be a lawyer right now then? I seem to remember you having said that before actually.

Interesting, that's two things I've considered as well. Ever tried writing screenplays? If you are commited to it you can theoretically write a feature-length in a few days. I've written many short stories. I always wanted to write a novel, or at least a novella, but I just couldn't come up with a plot that I thought was good enough. One of my friends aspires to being a director and got me writing screenplays for him. I've written a few shorts and one feature-length so far...but unfortunately he hasn't made much progress on his end. Screenplays are fun to write if you enjoy dialogue, though I do find myself missing descriptive writing.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-12-2005, 10:41 AM
I work in a bar.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm studying for video game designing.

Jackish
07-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Good luck with that, the video game industry is fiercely competitive!

I'm hoping to get some volentry work soon, at a catery or charity shop or something like that. Money doesn't interest me at 16. I think thats the way it should be...

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Good luck with that, the video game industry is fiercely competitive!

I'm hoping to get some volentry work soon, at a catery or charity shop or something like that. Money doesn't interest me at 16. I think thats the way it should be...
I know, it's hard. It's for smart people, i am smart, but still..

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I work in a liquor store. I cashier. I make gift baskets. I do filing. I do typing. I make phone calls. I'm like an underpaid asst. manager and a secretary all rolled into one! And I do all their website updates and do a lot of the inventory (cigarettes, candy, snacks, and small bottles of liquor). All for $7 an hour....*grumble*.

And like RXP, in the future....lawyer? I think.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I work in a liquor store. I cashier. I make gift baskets. I do filing. I do typing. I make phone calls. I'm like an underpaid asst. manager and a secretary all rolled into one! And I do all their website updates and do a lot of the inventory (cigarettes, candy, snacks, and small bottles of liquor). All for $7 an hour....*grumble*.

And like RXP, in the future....lawyer? I think.

I know why you get paid so little, you're hideous.

Jackish
07-12-2005, 10:54 AM
I know why you get paid so little, you're hideous.

What the fuckage? That was well out of order, take that back dude.

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Aw, St. Jimmy made a lame attempt to insult me. I'm going to go cry in a corner.

boo-hoo.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
What the fuckage? That was well out of order, take that back dude.

Pfft, i don't take back what is the truth. She disgusts me.

Jackish
07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Aw, St. Jimmy made a lame attempt to insult me. I'm going to go cry in a corner.

boo-hoo.

I like your attitude! But seriously, I have no idea why he said that, it was totally insecure and off the wall...

St. Jimmy

boo-hoo.

It's not an insult, twit. That was an insult. I'm just saying the truth.

Jackish
Pfft, i don't take back what is the truth. She disgusts me.

Well uhh, if you were smart as you said, you do realise its common decency and sense to not start slagging people off unprovoked?

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I like your attitude! But seriously, I have no idea why he said that, it was totally insecure and off the wall...

Thanks =)

And it's not worth thinking about. He's trying to talk big to make up for a lack of size elsewhere. That's all. =)

St. Jimmy
Well uhh, if you were smart as you said, you do realise its common decency and sense to not start slagging people off unprovoked?
All right! My god! Sorry Rag doll. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Jackish
It's not an insult, twit. That was an insult. I'm just saying the truth.

Ouch0rs.

Anyway back on TOPIC, "ye", what part of video games do you want to go into specifically?

Jackish
07-12-2005, 10:58 AM
All right! My god! Sorry Rag doll. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Well done! I really wasn't expecting you to actually appologise! Worth a clap or three! :cool:

Diamond Dee
07-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I work for a construction management company. I'm a manager and take care of all the construction management services for all of Southern California and Nevada. I do a lot of stuff that would probably make little to no sense to most people here.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Ouch0rs.

Anyway back on TOPIC, "ye", what part of video games do you want to go into specifically?
What does "ye" mean? And i don't know, they decide based on your intelligence.

RXP
07-12-2005, 11:08 AM
My ideal job would be personal trainer. I might actually look into it. I always seem to be giving people advice now days.

And rag doll, so you doing law too?

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm pre-law & political science right now. I'm (hopefully) going to law school after undergrad, but it's going to kill me financially.

RXP
07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Oh yeah, you have that gay ass system over there. I do law as an undergrad and then go onto a training contract (if I chose to).

Law is really expensive here too. I'd go as far as to say it's a waste of money unless you're gonna be a big timer.

Tired_Of_You
07-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I don't have a job right now, but I'd like to have one. Since I only finished high school I can't have anything really...interesting.

I'm going to "cégep" next year, which is kinda a college between high school and university if you take a pre-university program like me (it lasts two years). I'll study human sciences and next year I'll have to choose a profile out of four. Right now, I'm interested in human comportment & cultural interactions or international exploration. I'm still unsure about what I want to do in life.

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 11:21 AM
yeah, i wish we had your system. 4 years of undergrad + however long it takes you to finish school is ridiculous.

and it's insanely expensive...$30,000 a year, at least, for private school. unless you're definitely going to go into the field and make good money...it's not worth the cost at all. cause you'll be in debt for years with all the student loans.

NoHero
07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I would love to become an author and right books.
Good luck.

Tired_Of_You
07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm happy I don't live in the United States...it doesn't cost as much here.

NoHero
07-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm a IT assistant and work in a office, at N Power
That cracked me up.

Anyone else get it ?

coke_a_holic
07-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Dude, I'm totally gonna be a rawkstar when i grow up! Like Avril Lavigne. I will totally reintroduce punk to a new generation!

Sunny
07-12-2005, 11:42 AM
blarg.
well, i'm a freelance graphic designer. to give you an idea what i do... i recently finished a larger project for a language school, including new brand identity, promotional materials, camp brochures and educational materials (a coloring book.. ergh).

...anyone want a business card?

my ideal job would be an art director at an advertising agency.. or at a good fashion magazine. i study communication design in college (advertising track). then... grad school, probably something marketing/advertising oriented.

I model occassionally, but the amount of sleazebags in the industry is fucking freaky as hell. i mean imagine having a photographer tell you you're doing *clothed* glamour shots, and then having him announce that, after all, you're gonna be doing HUSTLER STYLE SHOTS.
uhhh, no thanks, jackass.
i've had a LOT of fun modelling for life size shiva dance/energy paintings, but my joyful cooperation with the artist ended when he asked if he could bang me.

*awkward silence*

anyways. i'm gonna work for my fiance's parents' architectural firm for the last month of the summer. nothing particularly thrilling, answering phones and stuff. it'll be nice, i think.

bah this was long.

Nina
07-12-2005, 12:03 PM
i'm working at the German Telecom, the biggest phone company here. I work in their megastore.

Paint_It_Black
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
My ideal job would be personal trainer.

If that's your ideal job, isn't studying law a huge waste of time? Fair enough if you just like to study it, but that's going to be damn expensive and if it's not even you dream job...

All for $7 an hour....*grumble*.

I think perhaps you should be looking for a new job. $7 an hour for all that?

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Most places around here only pay $5.25 and my manager is flexible with my schedule. I'm not going to do any better elsewhere =\.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Most places around here only pay $5.25 and my manager is flexible with my schedule. I'm not going to do any better elsewhere =\.

You're hideous, don't deny it.

0r4ng3
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
You're hideous, don't deny it.
You're an idiot, don't deny it.

Nina
and you're immature, dont deny it.

edit: damn, the person above beat me to it.

Paint_It_Black
Anything less than $7 an hour is a joke. I work pretty much full time, making $7.25, and I can still barely pay my rent.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 12:45 PM
You're an idiot, don't deny it.
I know i am. I'm not denying it.

0r4ng3
07-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Ok, I just wanted to make sure you knew.

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Yeah, anything less is horrible. The only place here that pays more is Staples...but they're incredibly inflexible in their scheduling (my friend works there). I live at home, so I only need to worry about car insurance, credit card bills, and the like right now. If I had to pay rent, I'd have to stop taking classes.

Nina

then your opinion obviously doesnt mean a lot and Ragdoll can peacefully ignore your stupid ass. glad to see we agree.

St. Jimmy
then your opinion obviously doesnt mean a lot and Ragdoll can peacefully ignore your stupid ass. glad to see we agree.

We ain't agreeing in nothing, old criddle twit.

NoHero
07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
As you keep asking for it ...

What does "ye" mean? And i don't know, they decide based on your intelligence.
I do know: Packaging.

Paint_It_Black
07-12-2005, 12:52 PM
If you're going to be obnoxious then you need to be clever, otherwise you're just boring.

RXP
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
How much does rent set everyone back? Mine's £250/month. Last year it used to be £365 :-o

Sunny
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
oooh, you have Johnny Cash in your signature! :)

St. Jimmy needs to die.

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 01:00 PM
You need to die! It's all about death to you people.

Sunny
07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
How much does rent set everyone back? Mine's £250/month. Last year it used to be £365 :-o

how big is your place? the apartment i lived in was a 2 br and cost $3000... lol.. holy christ..

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah...I'd kill to find a place that's under $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom. That's even considered a "low income" apartment... =\

Diamond Dee
07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
My mortgage is $1,500/month. That includes insurance and property taxes.

Sunny
07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah...I'd kill to find a place that's under $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom. That's even considered a "low income" apartment... =\

i know people who pay up to $2000 for 1 bedroom... that comes free with cockroaches and/or mice.

i <3 nyc apartment prices..

Rag Doll
07-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah, my friend pays around $2500 for his. It's in a decent enough complex, but it should be better for the money. The northeast is just too ridiculously expensive with rent. guh.

Diamond Dee
07-12-2005, 01:12 PM
i know people who pay up to $2000 for 1 bedroom... that comes free with cockroaches and/or mice.

i <3 nyc apartment prices..
These prices are for Manhattan versus the suburbs right?

darko
07-12-2005, 01:15 PM
i work in a hire firm, hire cars and plant. Its alright, hate it, but thats cus of the double standards, you know one set rules for them another for you. the staff are sound, well most of them, the customers are alright, boss is an asshole, every heard of bull in a chinashop? he's like that, drunk and sober! his daughter is a lazy fat cow {gets off with EVERYTHING, while i get shit for it}...and right now his son {offspring fan, sound when is father isnt constanly phoning him} you cant talk to without getting your head biten off. I'm looking for another job, not to bothered what it is, as long as i get to meet people and learn new things and be productive. and if i get another job i'm taking the office manage with me.....she is a star!

my rent per month is $400, its a 3 bedroom semi, 5 years old....10min walk from town centre

Paint_It_Black
07-12-2005, 01:15 PM

Mine's $555 a month. My total cost per month, not including buying food or clothing or any of those luxuries, is about $900. That's often about what I make in a month. The only way I can afford it is by not living alone, but one of my friends just moved out and I'm kinda fucked right now.

oooh, you have Johnny Cash in your signature! :)

I figured it was about time I had a signature. Maybe in a few years I'll decide to get an avatar too.

Diamond Dee
07-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Paint it black aren't you married? This is Danica by the way. :)

Paint_It_Black
07-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah I figured out you were Danica a few days back when you mentioned your husbands name in a post :)

Still married, but, um, it's pretty complicated. I don't expect to be married much longer. Shit happens.

Diamond Dee
07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah I figured out you were Danica a few days back when you mentioned your husbands name in a post :)

Still married, but, um, it's pretty complicated. I don't expect to be married much longer. Shit happens.
I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well. :( Marriage isn't easy and anyone that says it is is full of crap.

Kerr
07-12-2005, 01:26 PM
I have handed in an app form to work at McDonalds.

Preocupado
07-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I work at the library's copy machine in the uni lol
shitty money, but plenty of chicks stopping by the whole day.

Sunny
07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
These prices are for Manhattan versus the suburbs right?

yeah. mostly the village/lower east side though... the rents uptown are much higher, from what i've heard.

Kerr
07-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I hope I get the damn job, I need the money.

fairy call
07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't have a job, since I'm only 17, but for my summerjob this year I have to hand out stuff (balloons, lollipops, stuff like that), I like it much more than my job as a cashier last year. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what I want to do for a job later, I don't even know what I'm going to do after highschool, and my ideal job? Hmm, something that doesn't really feel like a "job", something I really like to do, I don't know, maybe something with art..

St. Jimmy
07-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't have a job, since I'm only 17, but for my summerjob this year I have to hand out stuff (balloons, lollipops, stuff like that), I like it much more than my job as a cashier last year. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what I want to do for a job later, I don't even know what I'm going to do after highschool, and my ideal job? Hmm, something that doesn't really feel like a "job", something I really like to do, I don't know, maybe something with art..

I'm 17 too. Let me see a picture of you?

RXP
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
how big is your place? the apartment i lived in was a 2 br and cost $3000... lol.. holy christ..

WTF. Where the hell do you fund your studies from?! High class escort or something!

It's a normal house, a terrast house. 3 others hare with me.

Man I get £4k from my student loan and earn about another £4k from my job. And still have no money after that :-(

Sunny
07-12-2005, 03:24 PM
scholarships/grants/loans are my friend. ;/

and the apartment we lived in was far from being worth the money... 5th floor, dark-ish, on Avenue C, which is sort of a rough area. NYC is just fucking insane like that.
in Austin I could get a a 3 bedroom place with 2 bathrooms and hot tub and pool/gym access... overlooking a gorgeous area... for $700 a month... *bangs head against the wall*

lets not get bitter here, now..

Aimeht
07-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm out of work, out of money, out of everything. Yay, I feel so happy.

Paint_It_Black
07-13-2005, 05:35 AM
I could make up a reason for posting but let's just be honest. Bump.