PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who thinks that...

mtj027
07-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Each offspring cover sounds much more than the original?

Except for Sin City, as I havent heard the original version.

mtj027
07-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Each offspring cover sounds much more BETTER than the original?

Fixed.

Manic subsidal
07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
yeah except total immortal. Even though I don't like AFI that much anymore, Dexter's voice still sounds kinda funky in that cover. Just doesn't fit in there imo.

endlesst0m
07-15-2005, 04:31 PM
yeah offsprings total immortal sucks. the recording is done so poorly that i cant believe a band with as much money as offspring got such a bad recording done, it sounds like thier underwater. also, as usual ron's drums are simplier then the original.

HeadAroundU
07-15-2005, 04:52 PM
underwater?????
wtf!!
Total immortal is 10 times better than original!!
& It was produced by Butch Vig (also Bloodstains)!!
I love it ;)

darko
07-15-2005, 04:54 PM
i dont know, i like both versions

Dead Cheerleader
07-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah I heard the Offspring version first and I liked it a lot, I like both versions. Davey Havok (sp) seems to have more energy in his vocals though. The AFI version seems to have more energy overall actually.

Conspiracy of One
07-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Offsprings version is better i think dexter just has that voice thats different than other bands

Rancid_Guyxxx
07-15-2005, 09:20 PM
They do I wanna be sedated excellent I think.

LukyItalion74
07-15-2005, 10:19 PM
as an AFI fan, I like their version of Totalimmortal, but I wanna be sedatted, omg, I LOVE IT, when dexter starts going bam bam ba bam, bam bam ba bam...that is too cool...

Weirddimensions
07-15-2005, 10:43 PM
I don't think they were able to top Hendrix with their version of "Hey Joe". I never even really liked the faster version they did of that song. "I wanna Be Sedated" is almost a push cause the cover's pretty much the same thing as the original, but The Ramones should win that one cause it is their song. The original version of "Smash it up" is better too, but not by a huge margin. I like the long ass intro that The Damned have for their song, but I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I first heard the goofy keyboard once the song picks up. Still, The Damned's version is hella hella good. The thing is though, I really only like covers that either add to or noticeably change something from the original version, and for the songs where The Offspring do add something, all they really ever do is speed it up and add more distortion. I haven't heard the original version's of all the songs though, so for all I know "Autonomy" or "One Hundred Punks" might beat out the originals cause they're really great tracks. And I gotta give the band credit, because I seriously doubt there's anyone out there who could cover The Offspring and top them at what they do.

Manic subsidal
07-15-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think they were able to top Hendrix with their version of "Hey Joe". I never even really liked the faster version they did of that song. "I wanna Be Sedated" is almost a push cause the cover's pretty much the same thing as the original, but The Ramones should win that one cause it is their song. The original version of "Smash it up" is better too, but not by a huge margin. I like the long ass intro that The Damned have for their song, but I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I first heard the goofy keyboard once the song picks up. Still, The Damned's version is hella hella good. The thing is though, I really only like covers that either add to or noticeably change something from the original version, and for the songs where The Offspring do add something, all they really ever do is speed it up and add more distortion. I haven't heard the original version's of all the songs though, so for all I know "Autonomy" or "One Hundred Punks" might beat out the originals cause they're really great tracks. And I gotta give the band credit, because I seriously doubt there's anyone out there who could cover The Offspring and top them at what they do.

I am so proud of you *gets a little teary*. Man, they just grow up so fast... *sigh*.

platinumpt
07-15-2005, 11:30 PM
And what about B-52 cover? B-52 girls is a song from 1979 I think... I've heard the original, I like it too, but The Offspring version is more accelerated, I like it most! Oh, and the girls' names are different in the two songs!!

One Hundred Punks - The Offspring version is better imo
Autonomy - I prefer The Offspring version too
Total Immortal - I love The Offspring version. And I don't like much the voice of the AFI vocalist...
I Wanna Be Sedated - They're both pretty good, but Ramones are mythical:)

I can't compare anymore songs, 'cause I don't know the other originals...

Amazed
07-16-2005, 02:06 AM
They do I wanna be sedated excellent I think.

yeah... I heard the cover before I heard the original, but I think the cover is much better :)

Venom Symbiote
07-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Whoever said Dexter's vocals don't belong in an AFI song are insane. In fact, Davey's probably one of the closest singers to Dexter I can think of off the top of my head.

They're almost indistinguishable on Black Sails in the Sunset.

Davey can SCREAM better, Dexter can hold a note better without sounding queer. But hey, both very VERY similar voices (in the louder parts, at least).

platinumpt
07-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Davey can SCREAM better, Dexter can hold a note better without sounding queer. But hey, both very VERY similar voices (in the louder parts, at least).

Yeah, but at least you can understand what Dexter sings when he's screaming!!!

Venom Symbiote
07-16-2005, 08:29 AM
...That's not really anything to do with the voice.

It's just the fact that, on the whole, AFI songs (pre-"Sing the Sorrow", what a shitty album THAT was!) are like three-times faster. ;)

If I yelled at the speed of a bullet-train along to buzzsaw guitars I'll bet I'd be pretty damn hard to understand, too.

platinumpt
07-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right, the songs are very fast. But anyway I don't like his voice...

Kerr
07-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Each offspring cover sounds much more than the original?

Except for Sin City, as I havent heard the original version.
Yes, I think so too, and ACDC's version (which is really good and better) does sound very much like it.

The exception is Agent Orange's Bloodstains which is good but not as good or heavy as Offspring's cover.

Weirddimensions
07-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I am so proud of you *gets a little teary*. Man, they just grow up so fast... *sigh*.

Hahaha, I should've lied about my age before :P. No one would've been able to tell! (Okay, maybe it would've been obvious...)

Hey, is your website still up?