PDA

View Full Version : Starring at the sun

Sman9453
11-14-2004, 05:04 PM
if you like the offspring, and never read this.. you should, this is so thought provoking

Americana
Staring At The Sun
This is probably my favorite song that we play live right now. There‘s just something about that really gets me going, I don‘t know – it just has a cool energy about it. And also, it‘s pretty amazing seeing kids bounce up and down to any of our songs, and live, people seem to really get into this one. But you know, what I like most about this song, though, is the lyrics.

Now don‘t get me wrong: I‘ve always said that lyrics aren‘t the most important thing about a song, and the reason I say that is because I don‘t want to be one of those preachy, self-righteous, ‘my-messages-are-so-deep‘ kind of songwriters, ‘cause I hate that crap, you know? You know, the ‘let‘s-sit-at-an-outside-cafe‘ and smoke unfiltered cigarettes and have another mocha and talk about how ‘I‘m-an-artist-and-nobody-understands-me‘ kind of bullshit. I mean Jeez Louise, that stuff irritates me to no end.

What I think is, if you‘re writing lyrics, the idea should be to connect with an audience, not try to show how much “above“ them you are, you know? I suppose that I feel that way because that‘s just where we came from as a band, playing little clubs for years and years. So anyway, when I say I like the lyrics to this song, what I mean is that I think it‘s really got something positive to say, and I like that.

The idea that I was trying to get across in Staring at the Sun is this: I know that one of the toughest things about growing up is trying to figure out who you are, and how you “fit in“ to every thing. And believe me, it doesn‘t just stop once you‘re grown up, either. I know that for me, I definitely felt like I didn‘t “fit in“ in school. In fact, I hate those words: “fit in.“ I didn‘t feel comfortable trying to be a part of any one clique at school. I didn‘t want to just be one of the athletes, or one of the stoners, or one of the popular kids, or whatever. And I remember that a lot of kids wanted to fit in so badly, that they compromised who they were a little bit in order to be a part of one of these groups. I thought that was really sad.

The words “staring at the sun” are kind of a metaphor, or an analogy, for people that are being self-destructive, or compromising themselves. And in the song, I‘m saying that I won‘t be a part of that. Maybe this line wraps it up the best:

But I won‘t be burned by the reflection
Of the fire in your eyes
As you‘re staring at the sun.

That‘s like me trying to say that if you‘re going to destroy yourself, you‘re not going to drag me down with you.

Does that make sense? I think it‘s so important for kids (or anybody) to just be who they are and not care what anyone else thinks. And that‘s the hardest thing to do.

Ok, now I need another mocha, dammit. Waiter!

scream
11-14-2004, 10:53 PM
i love dexter to no end.

Eccentric Sara
11-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Yeah,I agree!!!!:D I never had friends at school for the reason that I woudln't change for anyone, and basically,no-one liked me.I'm proud that I stayed true to myself tho.:)

scream
11-14-2004, 11:07 PM
i dont change for no one but then again neither do any of my group of friends.

lousyskater
11-15-2004, 01:57 AM
i read that a long ass time ago. it was posted way back in 2002.
________
Colette cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Colette)