PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Dirty Magic guitaring?

OffspringInOz
07-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I've tried playing along to Dirty Magic (acoustic) with my un-amplified Electric, but it sounds seriously dodgy. On the recording, have they changed the tuning or used a capo, or maybe played it differently?

Cos I know the way I play is the same as the normal version, but it just sounds weird with the acou version...or maybe its just that I should've tried using my acoustic guitar...could anyone fill me in on what's up with the acou version?

neocon58
07-21-2005, 12:19 AM
the acoustic version is played one fret lower than the original.

and an unamplified electric is not the way to go, unless your playing a semi hollow body and it resonates like a motherfucker. but still, you won't get an acoustic tone, unless your playing a steel string acoustic.

OffspringInOz
07-21-2005, 12:27 AM
cool thanks, i was oly playing my electric cos i hadn't burnt dirty magic acou onto a cd yet, so was playing in front of the computer, and just grabbed the smallest guitar i had.

Tonez
07-21-2005, 06:02 AM
Just tune your guitar down a half step and you'll be fine. For some reason dexter and noodles played it a half step lower than usual.

Sinister
07-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Just tune your guitar down a half step and you'll be fine. For some reason dexter and noodles played it a half step lower than usual.

the reason is probably Dexter's voice range which has decreased cause he's getting old.

linkirrius
07-21-2005, 07:57 AM
its just bcouse they use steel strings in they acustic, y play it in my guitar and sound kinda werid too, but thats the reason

Voodoo
07-21-2005, 08:17 AM
the reason is probably Dexter's voice range which has decreased cause he's getting old.

Actually, they've always played their live shows with their guitars tuned half step down.

First because that way the sound goes a little more farther (try listening to a show from the outside, for instance. You'll only hear the bass, not the guitars).

Also, Dexter can reach the notes without struggling too much with his voice... ;)
But that has nothing to do with the fact he's getting old...It's just a "precaution" in the long term...And lots of bands usually do the same thing...

The only songs they play Live with their guitars on standard tuning are (as far as I'm concerned) "Pretty Fly", "Original Prankster" and "Worst Hangover Ever", 'cuz for these ones they need playback from the original recordings...

Hope this helps.

C ya,

Voodoo.

DarrellOCguy
07-21-2005, 08:18 AM
i love playing along to that. I feel like Im there. And yes, Half step down indeed.

Sinister
07-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Actually, they've always played their live shows with their guitars tuned half step down.
First because that way the sound goes a little more farther (try listening to a show from the outside, for instance. You'll only hear the bass, not the guitars).
Also, Dexter can reach the notes without struggling too much with his voice... ;)
But that has nothing to do with the fact he's getting old...It's just a "precaution" in the long term...And lots of bands usually do the same thing...
The only songs they play Live with their guitars on standard tuning are (as far as I'm concerned) "Pretty Fly", "Original Prankster" and "Worst Hangover Ever", 'cuz for these ones they need playback from the original recordings...
Hope this helps.
C ya,
Voodoo.

hmm... Dexter sometimes has trouble (The Kids Aren't Alright, Woodstock '99, my mom is really good at music and she says he's not in tune)

and they do play these songs on standard tuning, and Higgins' FX kit is the coolest one I've seen.

but... do they actually tune their stuff down, or do they play one fret lower ?

SeanAshmore
07-21-2005, 08:36 AM
they tune their guitars down so that the strings are Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb, thus saving them the hassle of re-learnign the song in a new key etc. plus they do play tkaa in the Eb tuning most of the time, in fact everytime ive seen or heard it live, and yes he still struggles but remember that hes singing every night on the leg of a tour, its bound to tire his voice.

NDM1
07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah its definetly tuned down half a step. I just tried it and it sounded exactly like it. I was messing around with different offspring songs and i played TKAA and tuned down half a step it sounds like they do it live. Do they actually play tkaa tuned down half a step live? It sounds like it. The regular version is standard tuning tho...

Ps. LAPD also sounds better tuned down half a step.

Little_Miss_1565
07-21-2005, 10:57 AM
It's an old trick of bands when they play live to tune down 1/2 a step...you can count on a lead singer to go flat most of the time live, so it's best that everything else matches that, hehe. :)

NDM1
07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
It's an old trick of bands when they play live to tune down 1/2 a step...you can count on a lead singer to go flat most of the time live, so it's best that everything else matches that, hehe. :)

haha i figured it woudl be easier on dex that way. Do they tune down for ALL of their songs live???

....that would explain why the guitar sounds different.... I figured they just used different pick ups or different distortion or something.