PDA

View Full Version : Offspring predicted the future

imissron
07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
This seems really weird but i think the offspring predicted the future. first of all, all of their early songs that talked about war with the middleast actually happened with this war in iraq and the song Tehran. Slightly different location, but still middleast. also bad habit and the D.C. sniper. different way of killing but still a psycho killing people. Finally theres conspiracy of one and the 9/11 attacks and those attacks were plotted by one main person, Osama Bin Laden. I wonder whats next and i wonder if anyone else fells like this

notoriousdoc
07-21-2005, 11:12 AM
*bangs head on wall* God

1. When Tehran/Baghdad was written it was likely that they would be invaded by the US and co
2. WTF? How the hell does that have anying to do with that? There are a load of songs about people killing people, did those bands predict the future as well?
3. Conspiracy of one? Read what Dex says about it

I thought about how it must have been during the cold war. I mean, during the 50‘s, 60‘s, and 70‘s, you had nuclear buildups, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and a lot of tension, and I believe that that was pretty frightening. Today we don‘t have that threat from another nation. But we do have that threat from others if you haven't noticed, we're not the most popular people in a lot of the Middle East. We also hear horror stories such as how Russia 'lost' a half a dozen suitcasesized nuclear bombs and no one knows who got their hands on them.

So the idea that we as a country face much of that same danger today, but actually in a much scarier way, made an impression on me. I decided to write the lyrics to the song about it. That‘s what Conspiracy of One means, that the threat or danger that we face comes not from a whole nation but from one crazy individual.

I was also feeling particularly artistic about this one, so you‘ll notice if you look in the CD booklet that on the page for this song there are a couple of cryptic pictures with a little caption underneath. I wasn‘t going to explain these, because I think some things should be left to everyone‘s own interpretation. I also feel a little bit like a guy explaining how a card trick works! But, what the hell, since you guys are cool, I‘ll give it up.

The first picture starts off with “Ah, the good old days.“ That‘s supposed to show that this is how things were a long time ago. The picture shows two giants connected by a rope to their innards, and a caption that says, “Two men, from opposite sides, bound together by a siamese ripcord tethered to their souls. Who will pull first, knowing that it will destroy them both?“ And that‘s how it was, the giants are the two superpowers, the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. The picture and caption means that if one had attacked the other, then there would have been mutual destruction, because both nations had enough bombs to wipe out the earth ten times over or some crazy number like that.

The second picture represents the situation today. The caption says “One man, from opposite sides, struggles to keep the dangling ripcord from the reach of a little man who does not hesitate to pull, knowing that the falling carcass will destroy them both.” In this picture, the giant is the U.S. and the little man represents a terrorist. It also shows the suicidal nature of terrorists today, that he doesn‘t hesitate to destroy himself in order to destroy his enemy. It‘s insanity, I know, but we were trying to show things the way they are.

Cejus
07-21-2005, 11:18 AM
This seems really weird but i think the offspring predicted the future. first of all, all of their early songs that talked about war with the middleast actually happened with this war in iraq and the song Tehran. Slightly different location, but still middleast. also bad habit and the D.C. sniper. different way of killing but still a psycho killing people. Finally theres conspiracy of one and the 9/11 attacks and those attacks were plotted by one main person, Osama Bin Laden. I wonder whats next and i wonder if anyone else fells like this
I agree with this "Conspiracy of one" point you're bringing out. I've always seen this song as a prediction of 9/11 and all that stuff.

Little_Miss_1565
07-21-2005, 12:16 PM

When "Tehran"/"Baghdad" were written, the Middle East was a major site of military tension. I think the Offspring songs in question are less predictors of the future, and more records of how history repeats itself.

Sinister
07-21-2005, 12:20 PM
When "Tehran"/"Baghdad" were written, the Middle East was a major site of military tension. I think the Offspring songs in question are less predictors of the future, and more records of how history repeats itself.

yeah, thats likely. by the way, anyone noticed how some s/t lyrics describe relationships between people ? my opinion is, maybe Dex went in a crazy writing frenzy after losing his girlfriend.

notoriousdoc
07-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Did no one even bother to read my post which said both of the things just posted?

Jojan
07-21-2005, 03:07 PM
I have also predicted something. I predicted that they would put the Conspiracy Of One logo inside of the O in The Offspring. Like the second week I had the CD I was like "It would be cool if they put that in there. And it would be cooler if I they did and that I would remember that I thought so long before they did!". I guess no one belives me. But it is true!

0r4ng3
07-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Back in early 2004 I predicted they would have a Greatest Hits CD. Of course, mine was 24 tracks, 2-CD, and no new songs.

mrconeman
07-21-2005, 03:17 PM
I predicted someone would make this thread, because when I realised this a long time ago before I had read Dex's on the song of conspricy of one, I was guna make almost this exact thread then decided not to, and figured someone else probably would...thats the truth

jrk247
07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh yeah I predicted that the offspring were the best band!

Oh wait they are!

sourskittle
07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
you people need to shut the fuck up and get a life, bad habit anout thee dc sniper? conspiracy of one= osama bin laden? This is the most retarded thread i have ever seen, all of u who said "o i predicted this", and " i predicted that" need to shoot your self in the face. :confused: :confused:

Unnatural Disaster
07-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Everyone was being sarcastic except the first poster

Little_Miss_1565
07-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Did no one even bother to read my post which said both of the things just posted?

Except we said it much more succinctly. ;)

0r4ng3
07-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Everyone was being sarcastic except the first poster
What? No, I was serious. I predicted the Greatest Hits in early 2004.

jrk247
07-21-2005, 10:09 PM
What? No, I was serious. I predicted the Greatest Hits in early 2004.
RRRRRRRRIGHT, and I'm sure u predicted Cant Repeat, and the Complete music video Collection and the new album coming out if gh sells big!

Tell your friend(s) to buy GH so the offspring will make another album!

DO IT NOW!!!

0r4ng3
07-21-2005, 10:14 PM
RRRRRRRRIGHT, and I'm sure u predicted Cant Repeat, and the Complete music video Collection and the new album coming out if gh sells big!

Tell your friend(s) to buy GH so the offspring will make another album!

DO IT NOW!!!
No, that's not it at all. I didn't actually predict. It was more like "I wonder what songs the Offspring would have on a Greatest Hits CD". I made my own track list of about 20 songs.

jrk247
07-21-2005, 10:17 PM
No, that's not it at all. I didn't actually predict. It was more like "I wonder what songs the Offspring would have on a Greatest Hits CD". I made my own track list of about 20 songs.
I was just joking man (Being Sarcastic)! But yeah same here about the own GH but mine was my personal 'Best Of' CD.

P.S. I wasn't joking about telling your friends to buy GH, because the offspring are going to make a new album if their GH sells big.

Venom Symbiote
07-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Imissron? I see Green Day or Bruce Springsteen or some other retards have sadly corrupted your brain.

The late '80s and early '90s were rife with *so* much more conflict in the Middle East than is probably comprehensible to your sort, growing up now. The Iraq and Aghanistan thing? Tame. Videogame-y, even.

The first Gulf War was going on around the same time S/T was written, Libya and Iran were being bombed, yadda yadda yadda. "Tehran" was renamed "Baghdad" when America went in to rape that bastard Saddam for the first time, and was released as a single.

Bad Habit? It's HUMOUR song, not based around anything.

And Co1? You could take that as just about anything. Could be interpreted as everything from a micro issue like a frustrating situation among friends, to more macro stuff like global warfare and the shifting political environment.

Make your own conclusions, but try to show a little more brainpower than that exerted by a Muppet, huh?

platinumpt
07-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Well, as soon as I saw Venom Symbiote was the last guy to post on this thread, I predicted he was going to say more or less the things he did :p

imissron
07-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone for making me feel like a total idiot. i will never do a thread like this again. EVER!

Sinister
07-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Ithe offspring are going to make a new album if their GH sells big.

IF ? what do you mean by "if" ?
that thing's gonna be multiplatinum in no time !

ShadowPyro
07-22-2005, 01:01 PM
that thing's gonna be multiplatinum in no time !
I doubt it. But there still gonna be around after greatest hits anyway.