PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Hats in "Not The One"

endlesst0m
07-24-2005, 12:07 AM
dude what the fuck?Thats the wierdest hi hat pattern... ever.

any drummer will know what im talking about...

Drummerguy123
07-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Not The One isn't that hard. Actually, it was one of the first Offspring songs I was able to play. If you listen to Hypodermic, it's a similar beat, but much more complicated.

Venom Symbiote
07-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Ron's a much better drummer than most people give him credit for, and I'll eat your babies.

Drummerguy123
07-24-2005, 12:27 PM
He is. I don't know why everyone thinks Atom is infinitely (sp?) better than him when their skill levels are almost the same.

coke_a_holic
07-24-2005, 12:38 PM
He is. I don't know why everyone thinks Atom is infinitely (sp?) better than him when their skill levels are almost the same.
Because after Ignition Ron's strange drumming ended, giving way for generic boring drumming. Atom's new, and therefore, loved.

SeanAshmore
07-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I think atom just has a far bigger sound and fills out the songs better than ron did, he really drives the songs rather than just playing along.

Brines
07-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Atom bites the big one.

Nrk
07-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Ron Welty's drumming on ST and Ignition was amazing, it's gone downhill since Smash and Ixnay which is a fucking shame!

endlesst0m
07-24-2005, 03:41 PM
i still cant get over the hi hat pattern on Not The One. Am i seriously the only drummer that hears how strange it is? listen to the whole thing because he does it okay in the beggining but then it gets whacky.

Rancid_Guyxxx
07-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Creativity: Ron
Energy: Atom

Gayman
07-24-2005, 05:03 PM
dude what the fuck?Thats the wierdest hi hat pattern... ever.

any drummer will know what im talking about...
The drumming is pretty fast on hi hat....the song sounds like a song from Ignition or S/T....almost every song on S/T has that same hi hat pattern....FAST&HARD!!!

nameless
07-24-2005, 05:29 PM
i cant say ive ever noticed anything strange about the drumming on not the one!

That_Guy91
07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
you dont notice? im a guitarist and i noticed

Satankaban
07-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Well I think, he plays on hi hat with two hands in "Not the one". And everytime he beats the snare, he doesn´t beat hi hat.

Rancid_Guyxxx
07-24-2005, 10:46 PM
It is a weird hi-hat pattern indeed. Very creative though.

Venom Symbiote
07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm no drummer, but if you want to hear a weird beat (speaking in technical drum terms), crank Mission From God and stop cunting on about Not The One.

Sheesh.

endlesst0m
07-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Well I think, he plays on hi hat with two hands in "Not the one". And everytime he beats the snare, he doesn´t beat hi hat.

I already figured that much out. it just sounds so wierd though like off time or with some notes missing, but it doesnt really sound that good, occurs randomly, and theres no reason to do it in that song. you can't really do much else with your hands when your doing that beat. it doesnt make sense.

Drummerguy123
07-24-2005, 11:49 PM

That's exactly what he does. It's actually easier to count and stay in time like than instead of just the right hand on hi-hat.

Drummerguy123
07-24-2005, 11:51 PM
It is a weird hi-hat pattern indeed. Very creative though.

IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!!!! IT'S ONE OF THE EASIEST OFFSPRING DRUM BEATS!!!!! NOW SHUT UP ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Drummerguy123
07-24-2005, 11:52 PM
I already figured that much out. it just sounds so wierd though like off time or with some notes missing, but it doesnt really sound that good, occurs randomly, and theres no reason to do it in that song. you can't really do much else with your hands when your doing that beat. it doesnt make sense.

All he did was accidentally add a few accents on some of his hits. With a beat like that, I would be surprised if anyon wouldn't. Now listen to Hypodermic and pay attention to the drums.... DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!

endlesst0m
07-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Yeah well it sucks. it sounds like crap. why is it that he could do that beat for so many other songs but he fucks up LITERALLY like 15 times when he does it in this song.

anyway that fucker should learn some endurance and just play straight 8th notes with one hand. he doesn't play straight 8th notes because he's lazy not creative.

endlesst0m
07-25-2005, 12:26 AM
your assuming that i don't know how to do those beats. i know exactly what ron plays in hypodermic and i like it. it a cool beat. the beat in not the one sucks. and it doesnt even sound like its possible to play. if thier wasnt something seriously wrong with it i wouldn't make a post about a single drumbeat.

it sounds like he tries to do this

H |xx-xx-x-xI
S |--o---o--I

but messes up.

Drummerguy123
07-25-2005, 12:32 AM
your assuming that i don't know how to do those beats. i know exactly what ron plays in hypodermic and i like it. it a cool beat. the beat in not the one sucks. and it doesnt even sound like its possible to play. if thier wasnt something seriously wrong with it i wouldn't make a post about a single drumbeat.

it sounds like he tries to do this

H |xx-xx-x-xI
S |--o---o--I

but messes up.

I have trained my ears to listen for this sort of thing. You have to when drumming for a drumline it really goes

H |xx-xxx-xxx-xxx-x|
S |--o---o---o---o-|

Idiot
07-25-2005, 02:59 AM
How entertaining.

platinumpt
07-25-2005, 03:05 AM
All he did was accidentally add a few accents on some of his hits. With a beat like that, I would be surprised if anyon wouldn't. Now listen to Hypodermic and pay attention to the drums.... DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!
Good observation, yeah, the beat looks very similar, I never noticed that before... but in my opinion there are similarities between other songs... I'm no musician, but I think that between the drums in want you bad, kids aren't alright, and can't repeat we can find a few resemblances, can't we? I don't know, I was just curious, that's why I posted this...

Venom Symbiote
07-25-2005, 03:38 AM
You're all whores.

As the great Schwarzenegger once said in a really cool movie: "STOP WHINING!"

;)

endlesst0m
07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
I have trained my ears to listen for this sort of thing. You have to when drumming for a drumline it really goes

H |xx-xxx-xxx-xxx-x|
S |--o---o---o---o-|

im telling you dude i know that beat, how to play it, and how ron does that in every song in the first 2 albums. but thats not what hes doing in Not the one. In the beggining he does it right but in the middle and end of the song it sounds wierd.

Dexter_Kyle
07-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I agree with Drummerguy123.
Just shut up about it geez...

nameless
07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Yeah well it sucks. it sounds like crap. why is it that he could do that beat for so many other songs but he fucks up LITERALLY like 15 times when he does it in this song.

anyway that fucker should learn some endurance and just play straight 8th notes with one hand. he doesn't play straight 8th notes because he's lazy not creative.

lazy and not creative, some of the music is quicker than 200bpm and the majority is around 160 - 180, he pratically always playes eigth notes and the snare on the off beats, you cant say he has no endurance!