PDA

View Full Version : Pop hits cause Offspring to lose millions of fans

endlesst0m
07-25-2005, 12:06 AM
I appreciate the diversity of offsprings music. but the truth is, im the exception not the rule.

Punk lovers are annoyed by the poppy songs on the albums, or they only hear those songs and don't know the offspring is mostly punk. and even if punk fans figure they'll buy the album and skip those songs, they feel corny having cd with "pretty fly for a white guy" or "hit that" on it.

Pop/Casual music fans just forgot about the offspring after a hit song like "pretty fly for a white guy" is played out. so forget about those people as fans. Most of them don't like punk either.

I guess the offspring REALLY "don't give a fuck if its good enough for you". because thier marketing stradegy is terrible. thier are very few people who like hard, fast punk and catchy pop tunes like "Hit That". VERY FEW. this is why offsprings fan base isn't bigger then it is, even though they have sold so many records. their fans just diss them because thier too close minded to accept the new sounds.

neocon58
07-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Jibberish...Anal Beads...Offspring...etc

Have you ever thought maybe the offspring don't want to change their sound?
Have you ever thought maybe they don't give two shits whether they have 20 fans or 20 million fans, they just love playing music?

platinumpt
07-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Yeah, there's a point in what you're saying, but, even in the times of smash many people didn't like The Offspring. That's natural, when you find a song nothing special, and it keeps playing on a radio. It can get real boring. I love the offspring songs, but I reckon that, to a person who doesn't like their music, it can be terrible listening to their songs over and over in the radio, which was what happened during the smash and americana era. I guess that Offspring fans were always Offspring fans, and everyone I know that has bought Smash still remains a fan today, and everyone that I saw criticizing negatively The Offspring during the Smash era still criticizes them today.

The main problem is their lousy marketing, indeed, that's my opinion... it even looks like they're not interested in selling their product... there's no publicity at all to the Offspring DVD in my country.. it's unbelievable, and the DVD is a real masterpiece...

SeX PistoL
07-25-2005, 03:20 AM
it green day all over agian

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
07-25-2005, 04:01 AM
i read an Interview with Noodles about this

On that subject, a lot of your early fans might say that The Offspring’s music changed from ‘Smash’, through ‘Ixnay...’ into ‘Americana’. Some people felt that the record companies forced you to create a more “commercial” sound or whatever. Is that true, or did it come from within the band independently?
Firstly let me say there was no pressure ever from our record label. With the success of Smash we felt we had the muscle to do what we wanted and on every record we wanted to progress our sound. Actually, when we made Ixnay we felt pressure to make a more hardcore record, and maybe some pressure to make a record full of ‘Come Out and Plays’. It was an intense time, but we decided, “*uck it, let’s make what we want”... I don’t think Ixnay was that different, maybe Americana a bit. But I don’t think it was our fans, just other people giving us shit, you know, sour grapes... I think whenever you succeed or sell a lot of records, rise in pop music or whatever, there is always going to be criticism.

Telekinesis
07-25-2005, 04:21 AM
thier are very few people who like hard, fast punk and catchy pop tunes like "Hit That". VERY FEW.

I'm one of those people. And dude, I can tell your gonna be hated, I don't hate you it's just it always happens. Newbie writes a huge opinion peace on The Offspring and people hate them for the rest of their time here, trust me it happended to me with Noodles Is A Fag! No matter how much I try to make amends, they still hate me. Don't do this again and people will like you better for it, that's my advice. Cheerio!

neocon58
07-25-2005, 05:17 AM
it happended to me with Noodles Is A Fag! No matter how much I try to make amends, they still hate me.

Well, it was an incredibly stupid Topic, wasn't it? :)

Left Face Down
07-25-2005, 05:33 AM
Yeah a lot of people hate it, so what. It just seperates the true fans, from the weak fans. I blast Pretty Fly loud and proud. Plus people burst out laughing when you play it on guitar, and in all honesty when it was put out it was taken seriously, if I'm not mistaken Dexter and Noodles were talking about that on the new DVD, which it wasn't ment to be.

Now it's such a pop classic, that when you play it I think more people actually get out of it what it was originally ment to get out of people.

That's just me though...

Tombra
07-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Who says The Offspring HAVE to fit in the "punk-category"?
The Offspring makes Offspring music, no matter if "the experts" says it's punk / rock or pop.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign: Great job posting that interview, it sums it all up IMO

endlesst0m
07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
just by what most of you are saying, i have a feeling im arguing with 9th graders.

Conspiracy of One
07-25-2005, 02:55 PM
lol if i started to argue you would be!

Amazed
07-25-2005, 03:57 PM
thier are very few people who like hard, fast punk and catchy pop tunes like "Hit That". VERY FEW.

I do... (message too short)

FFX-ME
07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
well its sure the ppl at this forum like that stuff

these are die hard fans

mrconeman
07-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I was just talking about this with a friend and I literally said what was in the title of this thread, Thier songs like Pretty Fly and Hit That make them loose 'fans' but these 'fans' in my opinion are idiots and suck ass, they probably liked Offspring after hearing their friends liked them and they wanted to fit in, in my opinion people who get put off a whole bands discography over 1 or 2 maybe 3 songs tops arent fans, and Offspring and any other band for that matter dont need them, if you can be put off 7 albums (8 including greatest hits) over 3 singles, you arent a proper music fan

SMASH0390
07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
why would u dis them on this site thats retarted. they are the offspring thats wat they are there poppy songs are wat helped make them big. there not fullblown punk anyone who wastes there time typing up complaining how they arent punk is fucking wasting there time.

Aimeht
07-25-2005, 05:40 PM
I appreciate the diversity of offsprings music. but the truth is, im the exception not the rule.

Punk lovers are annoyed by the poppy songs on the albums, or they only hear those songs and don't know the offspring is mostly punk. and even if punk fans figure they'll buy the album and skip those songs, they feel corny having cd with "pretty fly for a white guy" or "hit that" on it.

Pop/Casual music fans just forgot about the offspring after a hit song like "pretty fly for a white guy" is played out. so forget about those people as fans. Most of them don't like punk either.

I guess the offspring REALLY "don't give a fuck if its good enough for you". because thier marketing stradegy is terrible. thier are very few people who like hard, fast punk and catchy pop tunes like "Hit That". VERY FEW. this is why offsprings fan base isn't bigger then it is, even though they have sold so many records. their fans just diss them because thier too close minded to accept the new sounds.

I agree. When I talk to someone and ask if they like the Offspring, most of them say they only like their old stuff. And I must say I do too. Even though I love their new albums too, the old ones were more punk.

noodler
07-25-2005, 06:46 PM
PPL here need to grow up.

If you dont like something this band does then do not buy it.

Im 20 and have been a fan since I was 15 with Americana.

I now feel thats their worst album BUT I can STILL find at least 6 songs I really like on that album. EOTL, HYE, kID, SATS.

I thought Hit that was 10 times better then OP or Pretty fly. I also found great songs on CO1 and Splinter. Lightning Rod, CGMHAY, MMA, Denial.

The band's music has changed. Not much IMO but a little, every band in the world has a poppy first single per album launch.

There are good points on every album the Offspring has ever done so If you cant see a good point on an album then don't buy it.

nameless
07-25-2005, 07:41 PM
i agree with some points you made however i think the real fans knowing what the offspring are capable of still buy the albums despite the likes of pretty fly and hit that!

its not that bad though, dexter and noodles have said they declined opportunities to do things like TRL etc. that would be even worse!

kickass0987654321
07-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Have you ever thought maybe the offspring don't want to change their sound?
Have you ever thought maybe they don't give two shits whether they have 20 fans or 20 million fans, they just love playing music?
I completely agree. If you are going to insult the offspring do it somewhere else.

Chngthwrld
07-25-2005, 11:59 PM
I wonder why people diss Pretty Fly so much. I don't like it as a song to listen to so much but the sarcasm in that song is hilarious. There were like 2 million white wannabe gangsta rappers who adopted the song and started to sing it. I think this song has been one of the biggest jokes ever. It cracked me up every time I saw a white boy with baggy pants, some Fubu 13 or whatever shirt, cap the wrong way on his head and with a fake gold big necklace singing to Pretty Fly getting pumped up especially on the All the girlies say I'm pretty fly for a white guy. People started even copying Guy Cohens style. Jesus...

I think all this was even funnier here in Finland because out of 5 million we have like 10 000 black people here and there are no ghettos here and still these white boys wanted to be so bad ass gansta rappers. I really love Offspring for doing this joke because I hate those guys. Luckily the trend is not so big anymore here. Maybe they got the joke after a while and started crying and bought some decent clothes :p

Original Prankster on the other hand is one of the shittiest song the Offspring has made. I don't usually skip it on the CD but Offspring has made so much better music that compared to that it sounds shitty. But if you compare it to other music in radio etc. today even OP is brilliant. The song is pretty dull, poppy and it has Redman that we could have lived without. It isn't even catchy like Why Don't You Get A Job was.

Hit That isn't one of my favorites but I still like it a lot. It always brings personal memories the subject is cool and the song just flows right.

Well that was my two cents.

barangatang
07-26-2005, 12:18 AM
man they just wanna make music!!! thyere fucking musicians for shits sake!!! if i wrote a songd 1/23 as good as a offspring song i would be hella happy.

killer_queen
07-26-2005, 03:02 AM
I met Offspring with Pretty Fly, I decided to buy the album because of Pretty Fly. And I'm still a fan, I didn't forget them.
Pop hits made them have a lot of fans not lose.

Lecci
07-26-2005, 03:15 AM
I love The Offspring, because they do what they wanna do.
And thats great

L

Mota___Boy
07-26-2005, 03:21 AM
I'm not as big a fan of latest stuff against the old stuff simply because the music doesn't appeal to me as much, still good but not as good in my opinion. To not like a song/band because someone else classes it as something you look down on is close minded and fucking stupid.

platinumpt
07-26-2005, 03:21 AM
Yeah, but The Offspring are a band that just doesn't fit in the mainstream scenario.

There are a few bands that if you ask people about them and they'll tell you about 10 songs they know from them. But The Offspring just doesn't fit there, sometimes I ask guys who are in their 30s about the band, and they tell me something like "never heard of them", with a stupid expression in their faces, but if I show them a song or two, they recognize them, and say "yeah, I remember this", but still with a strange expression in their faces, like disappointment, or something.

Pretty fly was good for them, I already was a fan of The Offspring a few years before and after all these years I still remain a good fan. But they concentrated too much attention, and many people were expecting what would come after americana... and even for me, Original Prankster was a little disappointing... the song doesn't make any sense, I think, it doesn't criticize anything, like pretty fly did, and doesn't have a catchy melody, like pretty fly or why don't you get a job had... it was just something intermediate, therefore it was a failure... but I like it anyway, generally the fans like the stuff the band produces, 'cause we are the ones who really understand them... I really don't give a fuck what the general public thinks, as long as The Offspring remain together, and doing live performances that I can attend to!!!

nameless
07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
i guess pretty fly might have been looked at differently if it was just another song on the album. i feel the reason many people dislike it is due to the fact it was played to death!

ashtray_girl_1
07-26-2005, 06:25 PM
they didn't lose FANS cause of "pop" songs, they "lost" a bunch of stupid people who thought they sold out after americana came out and stopped listening to them!

noodler
07-26-2005, 06:33 PM
When ppl say they dont like the newer stuff as much i can understand.

But lets take the songs individually, MMA, Denial, lighting rod and CGMHAY easily stand up against previous albums like smah and Ixnay.

I dundertsand if they said there were more good songs per album in the past but to say i just dont like the new stuff as much is a little to simplistic.

punk_riOt
07-26-2005, 09:34 PM
If they only played punk songs all the time, they'd sell less. More people enjoy the pop sounding songs cause its spread accross a bigger audience.

and another thing, fuck you. They're doing what they love, and i love them for it.

demolition man
09-09-2005, 05:44 PM

I guess the offspring REALLY "don't give a fuck if its good enough for you". because thier marketing stradegy is terrible. thier are very few people who like hard, fast punk and catchy pop tunes like "Hit That". VERY FEW. this is why offsprings fan base isn't bigger then it is, even though they have sold so many records. their fans just diss them because thier too close minded to accept the new sounds.Another thing the offspring do, is that they sing about real life and the shit that happens to all of us as individuals. The Offspring don't do other things that punk bands do, other bands yell and screem on stage. what the hell is that? are they little girls trying to get out of some guy's body? or are they just a bunch of fagots?

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
09-09-2005, 06:23 PM
just by what most of you are saying, i have a feeling im arguing with 9th graders.

to tell you the truth i am a 9th grader :D
i honestly don't care about all this marketing and shit, im a loyal offspring fan and i always will be no matter what they do. i dont care if its "pop" or "punk" i just love the offspring cuz they make great music that i love, and that's what makes them my favorite band ever. i loved the more thrashy punk sound of Smash, but that doesn't mean that The Offspring became crap after Ixnay. They are still my favorite band in the world and i respect them.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Does it even matter what kind of music they play? If the fans dont like it then they can fuck off and go support another band. Seriously. I myself am a big fan of Pretty Fly. Notice my name. My friends like the song. And its not "punk" Offspring dont have to have a bunch of punk songs on a record just to be appreciated by fans. But if you dont like Offsprings material, then fuck you

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-09-2005, 08:09 PM
This thread just kinda died after my post

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2005, 10:18 PM
that happens to me a lot...

to all those people talking about how "crappy" their marketing system is... you clearly don't realize that they don't need to be marketed well... they've sold millions of albums around the world without putting much effort into marketing their stuff... plus, people who over market their work are generally considered 'sellouts' *cough* greenday *cough* so it'd be a bad move to excessively market their music... besides, their fans do all the advertising that they'd need... what, with how self-rightous we all tend to be, lol... so far i've gotten several of my friends into the offspring, 3 right off the top of my head... and i'm constantly finding new people who are big fans and i never realized it...

and that whole thing about the 'poppy' and the 'punk' songs all on one album... how about we just create a whole new genre of music solely for the offspring so that people don't get into those asonign(sp) arguements about whether they are punk or not... IT DOESN'T MATTER!... if you like 'em, you like 'em... if you don't, fuck off! and get better taste in music...

once more i'd like to say (type):
their marketing scheme (or lack there of) works for them(as is very obvious). they don't give a shit if people don't like their music, 'cause they enjoy doing what they do. and, i know that no matter what they do, they'll still have millions of loyal fans, whom we all know will never 'leave their side'.

this is a pointless topic

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-09-2005, 11:12 PM
that happens to me a lot...

to all those people talking about how "crappy" their marketing system is... you clearly don't realize that they don't need to be marketed well... they've sold millions of albums around the world without putting much effort into marketing their stuff... plus, people who over market their work are generally considered 'sellouts' *cough* greenday *cough* so it'd be a bad move to excessively market their music... besides, their fans do all the advertising that they'd need... what, with how self-rightous we all tend to be, lol... so far i've gotten several of my friends into the offspring, 3 right off the top of my head... and i'm constantly finding new people who are big fans and i never realized it...

and that whole thing about the 'poppy' and the 'punk' songs all on one album... how about we just create a whole new genre of music solely for the offspring so that people don't get into those asonign(sp) arguements about whether they are punk or not... IT DOESN'T MATTER!... if you like 'em, you like 'em... if you don't, fuck off! and get better taste in music...

once more i'd like to say (type):
their marketing scheme (or lack there of) works for them(as is very obvious). they don't give a shit if people don't like their music, 'cause they enjoy doing what they do. and, i know that no matter what they do, they'll still have millions of loyal fans, whom we all know will never 'leave their side'.

this is a pointless topic

Basicly what I said. Just with more words.

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Basicly what I said. Just with more words.
true, true... we're clearly on the same page... :)

Amazed
09-10-2005, 03:21 AM
they didn't lose FANS cause of "pop" songs, they "lost" a bunch of stupid people who thought they sold out after americana came out and stopped listening to them!

...and the person who wins first prize for smartest statement is... ASHTRAY_GIRL_1!

EDIT: NO! wait! I take that back! The prize goes to pretty_fly_white_guy858. You get second prize though :)

hughesyboy
09-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Lose MILLIONS of fans....pfft....MY ASS!!!
It may have lost them some, but i bet it gained them some aswell, "poppier" songs giving a wider range of people a chance 2 hear about them and then in turn get into their earlier music aswell...like me!!
Btw, if I like a song by a band and then they come out with a crap song, i dont all of a sudden hate that band, i'll still like them and the songs i liked.
People didnt hear Hit That and then decide "Come Out and Play sucks now!"

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-10-2005, 07:27 AM
...and the person who wins first prize for smartest statement is... ASHTRAY_GIRL_1!

EDIT: NO! wait! I take that back! The prize goes to pretty_fly_white_guy858. You get second prize though :)
O boy. I feel so special

Amazed
09-10-2005, 10:45 AM
O boy. I feel so special

argh.. I hate when I can't tell if a person is being sarcastic or not. Are you?

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-10-2005, 01:36 PM
No. Im honored to hav a smart statement or whatever I won for second place. Yeah. I was being sarcastic.

Amazed
09-10-2005, 01:59 PM
No. Im honored to hav a smart statement or whatever I won for second place. Yeah. I was being sarcastic.

Fuck you. [10]

ashtray_girl_1
09-10-2005, 03:26 PM

oh, that's so sweet of you :p !tnx!

pretty_fly_white_guy858
09-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Fuck you. [10]
Whats up your ass

endlesst0m
09-11-2005, 09:53 PM
why would u dis them on this site thats retarted. they are the offspring thats wat they are there poppy songs are wat helped make them big. there not fullblown punk anyone who wastes there time typing up complaining how they arent punk is fucking wasting there time.

i see what your saying but what i really mean to say is, its not the poppy versus unpoppy sound thats my focus, its the old sound that they had that i loved vs the new sound. which isnt as good.

they say you shouldnt be afraid of change

but they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" too...

billiejoe87
09-11-2005, 10:33 PM
The Offspring are loved by the mainstream and alternative critics in Australia. They even have all their old stuff played on Australia's biggest radio network (Nova). i guess other countries might be different, but The Offspring have always been popular in Australia, and although their records don't rack up sales like Green day's, they get played all the time.

Their style of music is also undisputed by many people as being very unique and excellent to most. While most bands fade after one or two albums they have really stayed alive. With the exception of Splinter, Offspring really hadn't released a bad album in their entire career. As you'll see in the scrolling Text Messages across the video which in a week or so I will upload, many people say that you cant categorise Offspring's music because they are so unique and excellent. You call them punk, they don't sound like Blink or Green day. You call them pop they sound nothing like Britney, Madonna or Kylie, You cant call the metal cause they nothing like Metallica or System. They are really in a league of their own and it has worked very well for them.

Venom Symbiote
09-12-2005, 03:34 AM
:rolleyes:

*sigh*

The Offspring are popular down here because we're a simple people, an unintelligent layed-back bunch who enjoy basic three-chord, safe, predictable music that doesn't deviate too much from the standard. They're able to be rocked-out too, and they happen to embrace the beer and fun lifestyle.

Nothing to do with them being "admirable musicians" or anything, it's just that we share their lifestyle.

In the same capacity, Radiohead and Weezer are fucking tiny down here, as were the Smashing Pumpkins. And they're arguably three of the greatest acts of the '90s.

So yeah: off your high horse, Matlock. ;)

dain84
09-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Yet most people don't even know who the fuck they are here in the states.

Go Figure.