PDA

View Full Version : The "Hit That" video commentary...a calculated insult?

Venom Symbiote
07-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Someone brought this up last week sometime, it sounded intriguing - how they just ignore the video and all in the audio track. It's been bugging me since I read it, and I only got to pick up the DVD today (delayed Aussie release, you know the deal).

Watching it, it's fucking hilarious, sure. But the issue does need to be raised here: what's the motive behind it? I definitely get the distinct feeling it's not them just totally forgetting that they're doing a video commentary - it seems pre-planned, and pretty damn malicious at that. They *do* seem to be taking a not-so-subtle swipe at the director/producers, whatever, by the way they're talking.

So while it's fun to listen to Dexter and Noodles bash on the whole Michael Jackson trial and comment on American murder cases, it does beg the question: what the hell happened here? I don't remember any news of a falling-out when the video was released, in the early Splinter promotion cycle.

They never seemed too enthused with it, but hey: there's something here alright. If it was just that Dexter didn't like it much, he'd just do what he did on the "Want You Bad" track, politely admit it, and move on.

Is this another mini Brett/Offspring case here, just with a director instead of label-lord? Thoughts? Discussion? It just irks me the wrong way, something's fishy around this. It would go a long way to explaining how "CGMHAY" was such a performance-oriented video as well, in stark contrast to the CGI-narrative persuasion of the first single.

Do you think this was some kind of rebellious move by the band, with "(Can't Get My) Head Around You?" The commentary really does seem pretty scathing, in Dexter & Noodles' patented passive-aggressive sort of way.

:D I approve of their methods.

Telekinesis
07-25-2005, 04:33 AM
Someone brought this up last week sometime, it sounded intriguing - how they just ignore the video and all in the audio track. It's been bugging me since I read it, and I only got to pick up the DVD today (delayed Aussie release, you know the deal).

Watching it, it's fucking hilarious, sure. But the issue does need to be raised here: what's the motive behind it? I definitely get the distinct feeling it's not them just totally forgetting that they're doing a video commentary - it seems pre-planned, and pretty damn malicious at that. They *do* seem to be taking a not-so-subtle swipe at the director/producers, whatever, by the way they're talking.

So while it's fun to listen to Dexter and Noodles bash on the whole Michael Jackson trial and comment on American murder cases, it does beg the question: what the hell happened here? I don't remember any news of a falling-out when the video was released, in the early Splinter promotion cycle.

They never seemed too enthused with it, but hey: there's something here alright. If it was just that Dexter didn't like it much, he'd just do what he did on the "Want You Bad" track, politely admit it, and move on.

Is this another mini Brett/Offspring case here, just with a director instead of label-lord? Thoughts? Discussion? It just irks me the wrong way, something's fishy around this. It would go a long way to explaining how "CGMHAY" was such a performance-oriented video as well, in stark contrast to the CGI-narrative persuasion of the first single.

Do you think this was some kind of rebellious move by the band, with "(Can't Get My) Head Around You?" The commentary really does seem pretty scathing, in Dexter & Noodles' patented passive-aggressive sort of way.

:D I approve of their methods.

It was quite weird coz I like Hit That and the video so I wanted to hear their thoughts about it. I was kinda pissed off that they ignored it but it was funny hearing Dexter (I think) say he's having problems with his prostate, not exacly sure what it is but I know it's something to do with his dick. Well it was odd but I think the people who recorded the commentary didn't tell them it was starting maybe, or maybe they did tell them and they didn't listen. I don't remember Dexter saying he didn't like Want You Bad, didn't he say he didn't like She's Got Issues? Oh well c-ya

Living in Chaos
07-25-2005, 04:54 AM
Yeah, well i got the DVD today, and I find it strange that they did seem to ignore it. Although at the end of the Hit That video one of them said "Hey, there was our video" or something along those lines, which might mean that whoever was directing the commentary might have forgot to tell them it was on. Maybe anyway. I remember when that song was on Rage (music video countdown show) they had the live video for it for ages, and then they decided to put the video clip on there. It's also the only video clip to not feature any of the band members in it. But other than that, i dont see any other reason for them to ignore the Hit That Video

Preecey
07-25-2005, 05:00 AM
It was just a joke, I think. When he said: 'Oh, that's our video', he was just pretending to be shocked. If they'd forgotton to do the recording, they would have done another take.

Autonomist
07-25-2005, 05:01 AM
I remember when the video first came out, which was around when the band was doing a whole lot of promo shit. In one of their interviews they where asked about the video, and Dexter said something along the lines of "None of us really knew anything about the video, the director said he had a view so we just went with him." Perhaps it was their way to cover up that they simply didn't know anything about it?

Though somehow, I highly doubt it.

neocon58
07-25-2005, 05:08 AM
it was blatantly obvious they delibaretly ignored the video till the end.

Maybe Dexter and Noodles think the same way is me?

ME: The video sucks severe horse cock.

dextermyideal
07-25-2005, 06:06 AM
I Haven't Got the DVD Yet...

TMDGJ
07-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Personally i think that they just got carried away when they were talking. They simply didnt notice that the video was coming up. I have seen that in a lot of commentaries, especially in movies where some scenes are completely ignored. By the end they realized that they talked through the video and thus Dexter says: Thats our video btw. Probably they didnt care to do another take with it. I just think they got carried away whan they were takling, not that it is a planned insult on the video. But hey, thats just what i think.

platinumpt
07-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Well I think that deliberately Noodles and Dexter ignored the Hit That video, and I laughed a lot about that.

Anyway, I've read an interview in which Dexter told the story about the video, so I'll share with you guys what I read (I'll try to be the most accurate!). The song Hit That is about those guys who leave their women at home, and then go out get drunk, flirting with other girls and such, as you know. So we may see the "dog" character in this video representing these men. And we see in the video that the dog breaks a lot of stuff, and behaves really bad, so this is like a metaphore, comparing its behaviour with those men. Then, in the end, the dog gets caught by its pursuiters, and they cut his dick out! Then Dexter said something like "that's what someone should do to the men who behave like that, who leave their wifes and kids at home while going out at night flirting with whoever appears in their way"

Sorry, I can't post a link to this interview, I read it a long time ago... so if someone could confirm this information please...?

I agree 100% (or very close to that) with the Aussie dude. Nice point of view venom.

jrk247
07-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Well at least it has some what of a commetary! Cant Repeat doesn't even have a commentary! That pissed me off. Even though it is kind of on the GH DD. But that doesn't matter!

kickass0987654321
07-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Is it just me or have there been like a whole bunch of other threads like this?

jrk247
07-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Is it just me or have there been like a whole bunch of other threads like this?
No it's not just you, there have been tons of threads like this.

Venom Symbiote
07-26-2005, 05:00 AM
:mad: Yeah, but none articulated at all decently. I can type, my thoughtful deliberations make sense. ;) Bite me.

And to the guy who doesn't know what the word "prostate" means, please die. You stupid, stupid fuck.

As for the whole "I think they just didn't know the recorder was turned on yet" argument, fuck that's stupid. Of course they did - it was done on purpose, anyone can see that.

Twig-dicks. :rolleyes:

neocon58
07-26-2005, 05:13 AM
I can't believe some of you retards truly belive they just got 'carried away'!

You know, If they actually did get carried away and they actually wanted to do the commentary for it, they would've went back and re-recorded it.

Pfft, you fucking tards!

IdiotOfTheDay
07-26-2005, 05:39 AM
There was an MTV or VH1 article, and Dexter was quoted and seemed to like the idea. He was saying how it's about a guy who's always leaving his girlfriend/wife and hooking up with other people, but you couldn't neccessarily use a real person for that in the video, so they used dogs. And the guy walking around is supposed to be Dexter, while the guy driving the truck is Noodles. I'll try to find that article later if anyone's interested.

platinumpt
07-26-2005, 08:00 AM
There was an MTV or VH1 article, and Dexter was quoted and seemed to like the idea. He was saying how it's about a guy who's always leaving his girlfriend/wife and hooking up with other people, but you couldn't neccessarily use a real person for that in the video, so they used dogs. And the guy walking around is supposed to be Dexter, while the guy driving the truck is Noodles. I'll try to find that article later if anyone's interested.
Yep. That's what I posted yesterday, I was sure I wasn't mistaken! Thanks for confirming it.

FFX-ME
07-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I Haven't Got the DVD Yet...

man wtf dont spam like that

and btw someone didnt know what a prostate is, it is the organ that makes sperm,

IdiotOfTheDay
07-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Yep. That's what I posted yesterday, I was sure I wasn't mistaken! Thanks for confirming it.
I remember it because I started becoming addicted to the Offspring around then...I looked it up and thought that was pretty cool, so I remembered it.
Oh yeah, and here's the link. http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1484991/02122004/offspring.jhtml

noodler
07-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Wow.
Australian ppl are dicks.

I thought Hit that was a great video.

Compare it to shes got issues and why dont you get a job and i think its great.

Much better then OP or want you bad.

Apathy
07-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Well I think that deliberately Noodles and Dexter ignored the Hit That video, and I laughed a lot about that.

Anyway, I've read an interview in which Dexter told the story about the video, so I'll share with you guys what I read (I'll try to be the most accurate!). The song Hit That is about those guys who leave their women at home, and then go out get drunk, flirting with other girls and such, as you know. So we may see the "dog" character in this video representing these men. And we see in the video that the dog breaks a lot of stuff, and behaves really bad, so this is like a metaphore, comparing its behaviour with those men. Then, in the end, the dog gets caught by its pursuiters, and they cut his dick out! Then Dexter said something like "that's what someone should do to the men who behave like that, who leave their wifes and kids at home while going out at night flirting with whoever appears in their way"

Sorry, I can't post a link to this interview, I read it a long time ago... so if someone could confirm this information please...?

I agree 100% (or very close to that) with the Aussie dude. Nice point of view venom.

Haahahahah. They cut his dick out? No. No. They just cut off the Testicles.

You think Dex is really having prostate problems, or he just said it to freak people out because They were ignoring the Video. If he is, someone should tell all the Fifteen year old girls that want to sex him.

neocon58
07-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Wow.
Australian ppl are dicks.

...said the Irish person.

Telekinesis
07-26-2005, 08:03 PM
man wtf dont spam like that

and btw someone didnt know what a prostate is, it is the organ that makes sperm,

Thanks for clearing that up dude, I'm a 13 year old girl so there is no real reason for me to know. Dexter's having problems with it! LOL :D

Conspiracy of One
07-26-2005, 08:05 PM
If you have prostate problems.............I feel for ya man, SOrry dex!

Venom Symbiote
07-26-2005, 10:23 PM
The prostate doesn't make sperm, your balls do. Shite. :rolleyes:

But yeah, die Irishman. Ya wee li'l Leprechaun.

As for the whole prostate thing, if he WAS having problems no way he'd tell a couple of hundred thousand people in a DVD audience. He was joking. Half of that entire SEGMENT was joking, as a sarcastic swipe at the people who made the "Hit That" video.

Now what is so hard to understand there, honestly? :confused:

platinumpt
07-27-2005, 02:56 AM
Haahahahah. They cut his dick out? No. No. They just cut off the Testicles.

You think Dex is really having prostate problems, or he just said it to freak people out because They were ignoring the Video. If he is, someone should tell all the Fifteen year old girls that want to sex him.
I don't think it's the testicles, as you can see in the interview, quoting:
"The song referred to an irresponsible male," Williams said. "He's loose and wild and out partying, but he's got kids. So we saw the dog as a kind of metaphor for this character. We didn't want to be too literal, to have this man going around being an idiot. So we decided to use the dog. It's wild and needs to be tamed. He gets castrated, ultimately". Or at least in my country we use that word for the dick, not for the balls!
Source: http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/148...offspring.jhtml (thanks IdiotOfTheDay)

Apathy
07-27-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't think it's the testicles, as you can see in the interview, quoting:
"The song referred to an irresponsible male," Williams said. "He's loose and wild and out partying, but he's got kids. So we saw the dog as a kind of metaphor for this character. We didn't want to be too literal, to have this man going around being an idiot. So we decided to use the dog. It's wild and needs to be tamed. He gets castrated, ultimately". Or at least in my country we use that word for the dick, not for the balls!
Source: http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/148...offspring.jhtml (thanks IdiotOfTheDay)

ouch castrated? I kind of just assumed he got neutured. Vasectomy type thing you know?

FFX-ME
07-27-2005, 01:32 PM
the balls make the sperm cells, but the protate makes the liquid in wich they swim in,

prostate cancer is cause by you not evacuating enough sperm for the amount you make, so masturbation is important even at old age lol

platinumpt
07-27-2005, 02:21 PM
the balls make the sperm cells, but the protate makes the liquid in wich they swim in,

prostate cancer is cause by you not evacuating enough sperm for the amount you make, so masturbation is important even at old age lol
Yeah, and get laid as soons as possible, it's pretty good too!!:D

About the vasectomy thing, sure I know what it is, but I was pretty sure I read something about castration, that's why I said that:)

FFX-ME
07-27-2005, 02:23 PM
i dont think a vasectomy is helthy because all the sperm cells cannot be evacuated and remain there to die and that may cause testicular cansor

Venom Symbiote
07-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Castration usually refers to the entire thing.

Meat AND potatoes.

Bu why the hell are we even talking about this? Eewww. :eek:

FFX-ME
07-28-2005, 07:35 AM
well we are trying to fill the blanks that were not filled in the comments

Ronin
07-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for clearing that up dude, I'm a 13 year old girl so there is no real reason for me to know. Dexter's having problems with it! LOL :D

yet another reason why 13 year olds should NOT be on the internet...go read a book... you shoulda learned that shit in sex ed when you were 10! do they even teach that in aussie land, or do they like to kee you ignorant? damn...kids are getting dumber and dumber nowadays. oh and by the way: he was freakin kidding about the prostate crap! geez

as for the topic at hand....

i agree with venom and some of the others

whoever thinks they trailed off the subject by accident is as stupid as the 13 year old who doesnt know what a prostate is...
the offspring were NOT filiming a cheap DVD, which means if they really did trail off...they woulda re-recorded it (as previously stated). it seems like people are pretty ignorant about the film industry too.

and come on, it was obvious as to why they were purposely ignoring the video... cuz they had nothing to do with it and they thought it sucked. when dexter finally acknowledged the video he might as well have said: "oh yeah, that piece of crap video...oh well"

hahaha!

dexterisMYman
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
dexter has problems in a certain part of his bady. noodles has a growth on his arm. oh n dexter says he looks fuckin hott w/ braids in the GGA video commentary.

dain84
07-29-2005, 01:30 PM
It doesn't make sperm! Balls do!

dexterisMYman
07-29-2005, 01:31 PM
It doesn't make sperm! Balls do!
exactly. but it was still funny when he said it.

Venom Symbiote
07-30-2005, 09:48 AM
QUOTE:
"i agree with venom and some of the others"

Yay! Smart people! :)

QUOTE:
"damn...kids are getting dumber and dumber nowadays."

Right on, mah negro! :D They sure-as-hell frickin' are.

IdiotOfTheDay
07-30-2005, 10:33 AM
whoever thinks they trailed off the subject by accident is as stupid as the 13 year old who doesnt know what a prostate is...
the offspring were NOT filiming a cheap DVD, which means if they really did trail off...they woulda re-recorded it (as previously stated). it seems like people are pretty ignorant about the film industry too.

and come on, it was obvious as to why they were purposely ignoring the video... cuz they had nothing to do with it and they thought it sucked. when dexter finally acknowledged the video he might as well have said: "oh yeah, that piece of crap video...oh well"
Did you read that article I posted? "To avoid anything even slightly resembling a typical performance clip, the band didn't want to appear in the video." They didn't want to be in it. If they didn't like it because they weren't in it, or whatever, then there was no one to blame but themselves. Plus, they wanted something different, Dexter's quoted saying that in the article. And the directors came to them and Dexter liked the idea, that's why he picked them. Maybe they don't like the idea anymore, but they did at the time. If them talking about a totally different subject was not on purpose, maybe they asked it to be kept that way, just to show their short attention spans or something, I don't know. But they'd have to be pretty damn fickle to be trying to insult the directors.

hostage
07-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Hit That was a crappy video i don't blame them for not talking about it

code_blue
07-30-2005, 10:20 PM
it was a shitty video. the band didn't even appear in it. their commentary is obviously a joke, since they had absolutely nothing to do with the video and therefore couldn't really even comment on how much it sucked..

leo3375
07-30-2005, 10:50 PM
I found their commentary to be pretty funny, even if it did wander into TMI (Too Much Information) territory. The randomness of it is what I think made it so damn funny.