PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Get Away live video on DVD question: What happened to Atom's drum stick??

bd007h
07-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Did anyone notice this in the Gotta Get Away live video on the DVD? near the beginning, when the camera focuses in on Atom, you can see what looks like drum stick bounce up off the snare drum and fly behind him, but he just continues on drumming like nothing happened. Any one else notice this?

bongathon
07-25-2005, 10:47 PM
hmmm...i don't have the DVD but this seems like a very intriuging topic :D

barangatang
07-25-2005, 10:48 PM
i don't have the DVD either....hmmm?...i wonder what happened

SMASH0390
07-25-2005, 10:51 PM
i want the dvd....

Drummerguy123
07-25-2005, 11:04 PM
He probably dropped it and knew the camera was on, so he kept on going. I drop mine all the time (but not as often as I break them). When my dvd finally arrives, I'll confirm it.

vintagepunkrock7
07-25-2005, 11:53 PM
ok i just watched it, and i saw it. i had to play it again but slower even lol. im not all to sure what happened there but it definitely looks interesting lol. but here is my theory, maybe the drumstick broke and what we see is a piece of it flying away? but im not a drummer so i dont even know if you would still be able to play if the drumstick broke. im probly gonna end up watching it a few more times lol just cuz its so weird looking.

hshduppsnt
07-26-2005, 12:17 AM
I've definitely wondered about that.
He doesn't lose the drum stick cuz he definitely looks like he's still playin with both, but I'm guessing part of it (or something) broke off

-hshduppsnt

neocon58
07-26-2005, 12:27 AM
pretty sure part of it broke off. not that it would matter anyway, because it's pretty obvious it's been overdubbed for the dvd. I have two versions of long way home from smash to splinter. This dvd version and a version i found on the net in wmv format. Dexter sounds very different (no, it's not the sound quality, he's struggling for breath and struggling to hit high notes).

at one point during smash to splinter dexters just about shut his mouth and he's still holding a note. Not saying they mimed the actual show, just overdubbed so the audio mix was better (and the singing). They did the same thing with TKAA on huck it, and Blink 182 do it on Urethra Chronicles 2.

EDIT: another part where you can tell its been overdubbed: the intro to Gotta Get Away, noodles is playing the riff then doing mini divebombs to the beat, but, whats that, I can't hear his divebombs coming through the speakers! Now, naturally noodles is always louder than dexter in the mix, so do give me that 'maybe dexter wanted more voume than noodles' thing.

EDIT AGAIN: another thing, why is it when higgins is singing doing the intro to Worst hangover ever, he sounds exactly like dexter does it on splinter?

platinumpt
07-26-2005, 02:59 AM
yeah, neocon58 you're absolutely right, nothing you're telling me surprisses me. Want another example? There's a TKAA clip of woodstock 99 live, which was clearly overdubbed, and it sounds totally different than the original mp3 of TKAA in the woodstock show.

neocon58
07-26-2005, 03:18 AM
Want another example? There's a TKAA clip of woodstock 99 live, which was clearly overdubbed, and it sounds totally different than the original mp3 of TKAA in the woodstock show.

Heh, that figures. The original TKAA was really bad!

platinumpt
07-26-2005, 04:32 AM
Heh, that figures. The original TKAA was really bad!
Yap. I think the best were Bad Habit, Cool To Hate (*SPOILER ALERT*in which someone steals his sunglasses haha*SPOILER ALERT*) and I Choose. But it's funny, when you're there it sounds a lot better. It happened the same to me when I was in Lisbon last year, I loved the concert, it was really great, then I saw a video with sound that someone recorded over there, and it sounded shitty. Da Hui was horrible, really.

Idiot
07-26-2005, 06:38 AM
It was a quality set though.

Yeah I noticed the thing with Atom's stick when watching that video a few months back. Always wondered if he'd actually broken it or not.

bouncingcoles
07-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Did anyone notice this in the Gotta Get Away live video on the DVD? near the beginning, when the camera focuses in on Atom, you can see what looks like drum stick bounce up off the snare drum and fly behind him, but he just continues on drumming like nothing happened. Any one else notice this?

yes i did notice that, he broke a drum stick while playing. professional drummers are used to that and can quickly grab a new drum stick like nothing happened without missing a beat. also, professional drummers have a drumstick holder that is in arm reach so if they break a stick they can grab it from in there.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
07-26-2005, 07:21 AM
ha! nice, god damn Atom is good :D

bouncingcoles
07-26-2005, 07:24 AM
yeah, neocon58 you're absolutely right, nothing you're telling me surprisses me. Want another example? There's a TKAA clip of woodstock 99 live, which was clearly overdubbed, and it sounds totally different than the original mp3 of TKAA in the woodstock show.

dude that wasnt overdubbed. thats definetly his voice at the concert. the thing about the TKAA the video is that it was recorded differently from the crappy MP3 recording and also it was recorded much better. thats why it sounds so much different.

Idiot
07-26-2005, 07:35 AM
Whatever..

platinumpt
07-26-2005, 07:57 AM
dude that wasnt overdubbed. thats definetly his voice at the concert. the thing about the TKAA the video is that it was recorded differently from the crappy MP3 recording and also it was recorded much better. thats why it sounds so much different.
I don't think so... maybe we're not talking about the same videoclip... I have an isolated videoclip of The Kids Aren't Alright at Woodstock 99, which is fantastic, with an excellent recording, and I downloaded a video of the entire set, in which the quality of this song is totally different, including Dexter's vocals...

And the funniest part is that, in both videoclips, the cameras are exactly the same, but the sound is different... so I think the isolated one was overdubbed in the studio, because it sounds a lot better than the original, and Dexter didn't sang as good as it looks...

Rancid_Guyxxx
07-26-2005, 09:07 AM
The only one I noticed the difference in was long way home. That sounds studio edited.

FFX-ME
07-26-2005, 09:53 AM
he just broke his drum stick, its a common thing, they keep a pot full of sticks next to them so he just picked another one

NDM1
07-26-2005, 09:58 AM
pretty sure part of it broke off. not that it would matter anyway, because it's pretty obvious it's been overdubbed for the dvd. I have two versions of long way home from smash to splinter. This dvd version and a version i found on the net in wmv format. Dexter sounds very different (no, it's not the sound quality, he's struggling for breath and struggling to hit high notes).

at one point during smash to splinter dexters just about shut his mouth and he's still holding a note. Not saying they mimed the actual show, just overdubbed so the audio mix was better (and the singing). They did the same thing with TKAA on huck it, and Blink 182 do it on Urethra Chronicles 2.

EDIT: another part where you can tell its been overdubbed: the intro to Gotta Get Away, noodles is playing the riff then doing mini divebombs to the beat, but, whats that, I can't hear his divebombs coming through the speakers! Now, naturally noodles is always louder than dexter in the mix, so do give me that 'maybe dexter wanted more voume than noodles' thing.

EDIT AGAIN: another thing, why is it when higgins is singing doing the intro to Worst hangover ever, he sounds exactly like dexter does it on splinter?

About the divebombs i thought exactly what you did. I saw him doing the motions but i didnt hear anything. If you listen really closesly then you can hear it go in and out. It is hard to hear but it is there. Im not saying that they didnt oberdub, but you can hear the divebombs

Rexisfed
07-26-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm a drummer too. I've only dropped mine twice, and both times was playing on one of those damn practice pads. It really does suck when you drop one though.

neocon58
07-26-2005, 07:36 PM
You can definently faintly hear the real version under the overdubs.