PDA

View Full Version : A flight in Dexter's jet

pyrosk8er
07-27-2005, 10:08 PM
as told by the Captain Dan, the Vans Warped Tour pit reporter::

7-22-05

Cincinnati, OH

Last night, I had one of the coolest experiences of my entire life. Every boss that ever wrote me a citation, every table that ever stiffed me, every piece of luggage I ever had to lug, or every test I ever had to cram for, all seemed well worth it if it lead up to this: I got to fly on The Offspring’s jet.

It all started when I met and became quick friends with Chris (“Nitro”) on the first day of the Vans Warped Tour in Columbus, OH. Chris works at the merch booth for Nitro Records -Dexter Holland’s (vocalist/guitarist for The Offspring) record label. One night Chris mentioned how he was going to fly on Holland’s personal jet to the next show instead of traveling on his cramped bus. I jokingly mentioned how experiencing a jet ride would make a good pit blog. Chris then suggested the same idea to Holland, and he agreed.

I have to admit, at first I was a little skeptical. I was not about to begin bragging about such an opportunity until I was actually sitting on the plane. My busmate Anthony even gave me a fair warning: “Now, think about this Dan. You are about to get on a jet with rock stars. Let’s hope that history does not repeat itself.”

All worries aside, I joined Chris, Josh (Warcon Records merch booth attendant), Mest (band members Tony/Nick, and their roadies Drew/John -who ironically just watched La Bamba the night before), and Greg (The Offspring’s bassist) on The Offspring’s RV that shuttled us to the airport. Beers and cheers with fun intentions immediately began -how could they not? We were about to jump on a jet with 2/4 of one of the most important bands of modern punk rock!

When we arrived at the airport and saw the jet, we all reacted like fifth-graders about to ride the fastest roller coaster in the world. And when we saw the anarchy logo detailed on the tail fin, our excitement grew ecstatically.

Already prepping and stocking the plane with supplies was the plane’s owner and pilot: Dexter Holland. Holland carried a persistent smile that was quickly followed by sincere handshakes as we introduced ourselves. Holland gave off a very laid back and warm appeal and expressed mutual excitement when he realized how anxious we were to fly.

Besides fronting an amazing band, Holland has been flying airplanes ever since he received his pilot’s license in 1996. He admitted that he started off this year’s Vans Warped Tour by sleeping in the bus but didn’t like the idea of owning a jet and not using it. “At first I was a little reluctant to bring out the jet,” admitted Holland while I was sitting next to him in the cockpit. “I didn’t want to be the one to not travel on the bus, but it’s been fun to share it with the other bands. And that is what the Warped Tour is kind of about: getting to know and hanging out with other bands.” So far on the tour, Holland tries to take a different band every night and has flown members of MXPX, Strung Out, Rufio, Avenged Sevenfold, No Use For A Name, The Transplants, and Simple Plan (more are sure to come).

Nicknamed by his friends as “Anarchy Air” or “Dex Air,” Holland’s jet is a Cessna Citation CJ2 complete with leopard print upholstery. When questioned about how he chose to put an anarchy logo on the jet’s tail fin he said that his pilot friends suggested he detail the jet with “something punk.” “There’s nothing punk about a business jet,” admitted Holland. “But that’s what I love about the anarchy logo. It’s ironic.”

As the ultimate host, Holland makes sure every passenger on his jet receives a winged pin with The Offspring skull logo (a pun off the pins worn by commercial pilots) and at least one complimentary Jagermeister shot (don’t worry Mom, everyone was over legal drinking age). Soda drinks (served in anarchy logo cups) and pizza were also provided. “Pizza always makes everyone happy,“ admitted Holland. Unfortunately, a punk-rock attired stewardess was not present and I also lost a bet that The Offspring’s music would be perpetually playing in musak (elevator music conversion) form over an intercom.

Holland allows his passengers to partake in all the activities that the commercial airlines do not (such as smoking and talking on cell phones). According to Holland, Mest made a new record for “quickest band to take a Jager shot” as they downed one before take-off. “They‘re already having a good time,” smiled Holland. “I like that.” Holland then explained how having different bands as passengers can kind of be like a human behavior test. “Some bands are quiet, some are nervous, but these guys [in Mest] are having fun.”
As we soared, Holland showed me and taught me standard pilot protocol and procedures as we flew. He then pointed out distant slivering lightning, effervescent clouds, and the luminescent moon rising. I felt like Jodie Foster’s character in the movie Contact: “They should have sent a poet…”

Random Notes:

-Holland made sure that I noted that The Offspring’s first touring vehicle was a 1979 SR5 Toyota pick-up truck. After roughly two years of traveling in that, they “upgraded” to a van.

-The fun didn’t end once we landed. We took a limo to the Westin downtown (where someone asked if we were part of the The Dave Matthews Band -I told him yes and that I played the fiddle) and we later hung out at a local restaurant’s bar.

-Not just the pilot of his plane, Holland also acted as the stewardess when he prepped me a drink.

-As we were sitting at the bar, one of The Offspring’s “hits” played over the radio.

-As we headed back to the hotel after last call, Chris and the Mest entourage decided to go “swimming” in one of Cincinnati’s downtown fountains. Chris managed to carefully take out his Sidekick and cell phone before swimming but failed to remember about his new digital camera…bummer.

-Mae rocked out today. As usual…

-Today some guy named Matt (age: 18) made a list of notes on the Vans Warped Tour based on my blogs. He found me by asking my friend Mike that works at the Atticus booth to call me. When I found him, he asked me to take his picture for the website. I decided to help Matt out with the ladies and told him I would only take his picture if he found girls to take the picture with him. So for all you Captain Dan haters that hate people pictures, please view the results below. Way to go Matt!

Go here for the pics! (http://www.warpedtour.com/pit/7-22/)

I'm jealous.

SkunkIt
07-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Ha ha! Greg looks constapated!

http://www.warpedtour.com/pit/7-22/9.jpg

SMASH0390
07-27-2005, 10:55 PM
yeaa..........that is a funny look tho. thats ok hes sweet

kickass0987654321
07-27-2005, 11:29 PM
I think that's really cool. I'm referring to the article thingy.

Venom Symbiote
07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Holy crap.

What an awesome read! :) Much appreciated, dude. Haha, Dexter seems like such a cool guy, though. Always friendly and shit.

vintagepunkrock7
07-28-2005, 12:05 AM
that was really great to read, he just seems like such a cool person to hang out with. a girl i work with grew up with some guys from mest, i have to tell her about this!

pyrosk8er
07-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Ha ha! Greg looks constapated!

http://www.warpedtour.com/pit/7-22/9.jpg

I like how that was the only picture of Greg. Like, he wasn't even in the group picture. haha

bouncingcoles
07-28-2005, 09:04 AM
as told by the Captain Dan, the Vans Warped Tour pit reporter::

7-22-05

Cincinnati, OH

Last night, I had one of the coolest experiences of my entire life. Every boss that ever wrote me a citation, every table that ever stiffed me, every piece of luggage I ever had to lug, or every test I ever had to cram for, all seemed well worth it if it lead up to this: I got to fly on The Offspring’s jet.

It all started when I met and became quick friends with Chris (“Nitro”) on the first day of the Vans Warped Tour in Columbus, OH. Chris works at the merch booth for Nitro Records -Dexter Holland’s (vocalist/guitarist for The Offspring) record label. One night Chris mentioned how he was going to fly on Holland’s personal jet to the next show instead of traveling on his cramped bus. I jokingly mentioned how experiencing a jet ride would make a good pit blog. Chris then suggested the same idea to Holland, and he agreed.

I have to admit, at first I was a little skeptical. I was not about to begin bragging about such an opportunity until I was actually sitting on the plane. My busmate Anthony even gave me a fair warning: “Now, think about this Dan. You are about to get on a jet with rock stars. Let’s hope that history does not repeat itself.”

All worries aside, I joined Chris, Josh (Warcon Records merch booth attendant), Mest (band members Tony/Nick, and their roadies Drew/John -who ironically just watched La Bamba the night before), and Greg (The Offspring’s bassist) on The Offspring’s RV that shuttled us to the airport. Beers and cheers with fun intentions immediately began -how could they not? We were about to jump on a jet with 2/4 of one of the most important bands of modern punk rock!

When we arrived at the airport and saw the jet, we all reacted like fifth-graders about to ride the fastest roller coaster in the world. And when we saw the anarchy logo detailed on the tail fin, our excitement grew ecstatically.

Already prepping and stocking the plane with supplies was the plane’s owner and pilot: Dexter Holland. Holland carried a persistent smile that was quickly followed by sincere handshakes as we introduced ourselves. Holland gave off a very laid back and warm appeal and expressed mutual excitement when he realized how anxious we were to fly.

Besides fronting an amazing band, Holland has been flying airplanes ever since he received his pilot’s license in 1996. He admitted that he started off this year’s Vans Warped Tour by sleeping in the bus but didn’t like the idea of owning a jet and not using it. “At first I was a little reluctant to bring out the jet,” admitted Holland while I was sitting next to him in the cockpit. “I didn’t want to be the one to not travel on the bus, but it’s been fun to share it with the other bands. And that is what the Warped Tour is kind of about: getting to know and hanging out with other bands.” So far on the tour, Holland tries to take a different band every night and has flown members of MXPX, Strung Out, Rufio, Avenged Sevenfold, No Use For A Name, The Transplants, and Simple Plan (more are sure to come).

Nicknamed by his friends as “Anarchy Air” or “Dex Air,” Holland’s jet is a Cessna Citation CJ2 complete with leopard print upholstery. When questioned about how he chose to put an anarchy logo on the jet’s tail fin he said that his pilot friends suggested he detail the jet with “something punk.” “There’s nothing punk about a business jet,” admitted Holland. “But that’s what I love about the anarchy logo. It’s ironic.”

As the ultimate host, Holland makes sure every passenger on his jet receives a winged pin with The Offspring skull logo (a pun off the pins worn by commercial pilots) and at least one complimentary Jagermeister shot (don’t worry Mom, everyone was over legal drinking age). Soda drinks (served in anarchy logo cups) and pizza were also provided. “Pizza always makes everyone happy,“ admitted Holland. Unfortunately, a punk-rock attired stewardess was not present and I also lost a bet that The Offspring’s music would be perpetually playing in musak (elevator music conversion) form over an intercom.

Holland allows his passengers to partake in all the activities that the commercial airlines do not (such as smoking and talking on cell phones). According to Holland, Mest made a new record for “quickest band to take a Jager shot” as they downed one before take-off. “They‘re already having a good time,” smiled Holland. “I like that.” Holland then explained how having different bands as passengers can kind of be like a human behavior test. “Some bands are quiet, some are nervous, but these guys [in Mest] are having fun.”
As we soared, Holland showed me and taught me standard pilot protocol and procedures as we flew. He then pointed out distant slivering lightning, effervescent clouds, and the luminescent moon rising. I felt like Jodie Foster’s character in the movie Contact: “They should have sent a poet…”

Random Notes:

-Holland made sure that I noted that The Offspring’s first touring vehicle was a 1979 SR5 Toyota pick-up truck. After roughly two years of traveling in that, they “upgraded” to a van.

-The fun didn’t end once we landed. We took a limo to the Westin downtown (where someone asked if we were part of the The Dave Matthews Band -I told him yes and that I played the fiddle) and we later hung out at a local restaurant’s bar.

-Not just the pilot of his plane, Holland also acted as the stewardess when he prepped me a drink.

-As we were sitting at the bar, one of The Offspring’s “hits” played over the radio.

-As we headed back to the hotel after last call, Chris and the Mest entourage decided to go “swimming” in one of Cincinnati’s downtown fountains. Chris managed to carefully take out his Sidekick and cell phone before swimming but failed to remember about his new digital camera…bummer.

-Mae rocked out today. As usual…

-Today some guy named Matt (age: 18) made a list of notes on the Vans Warped Tour based on my blogs. He found me by asking my friend Mike that works at the Atticus booth to call me. When I found him, he asked me to take his picture for the website. I decided to help Matt out with the ladies and told him I would only take his picture if he found girls to take the picture with him. So for all you Captain Dan haters that hate people pictures, please view the results below. Way to go Matt!

Go here for the pics! (http://www.warpedtour.com/pit/7-22/)

I'm jealous.

thats great!! i wish i got to ride with dexter. thats really nice of him that hes been taking all the bands on his plane.

barangatang
07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
dude i would rip off my balls and eat them to have that expierence.

Conspiracy of One
07-28-2005, 09:53 AM
dude i would rip off my balls and eat them to et that expierence.

Could you get me an autograph?

hmmm i wouldnt go that far............i wanna have kids someday

barangatang
07-28-2005, 09:56 AM

well it wouldn't be permenent

more on topic of testes surgery...i think (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11075&page=5&pp=10)

Offspringirl_BR
07-28-2005, 10:06 AM
This is what we call lucky!
Man, you're lucky!
I'm sure that you enjoyed this flight so much and the pics are great! :D

xxx

notoriousdoc
07-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Did no one notice that it wasn't actually Pyroskater that did it?

darko
07-28-2005, 11:09 AM
that was cool, the pics are pretty cool to!

pyrosk8er
07-28-2005, 11:12 AM

That's what I'm thinking.

barangatang
07-28-2005, 12:07 PM

umm holy shit!!!

Offspringirl_BR
07-28-2005, 12:56 PM

lol
yeah!!! haha

hostage
07-28-2005, 01:50 PM
dude like thats good i wish i could've gone man

powerhead'05
07-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Thats awesome, what band members were on?

ashtray_girl_1
07-28-2005, 05:32 PM
damn i want to fly in that plane, alone with dex ofcourse hehehe... ;)

jacK
07-28-2005, 07:49 PM
so if i walk around telling people i just rode on a jet w/ Dex, you guys think i'll get pictures w/ friggin hot chicks like that gump?

kickass0987654321
07-28-2005, 07:50 PM
that was really great to read, he just seems like such a cool person to hang out with. a girl i work with grew up with some guys from mest, i have to tell her about this!
yupyupyupyup

neocon58
07-29-2005, 12:09 AM

I wouldn't trust you to operate a remote control let alone become a father.

leo3375
07-29-2005, 06:23 AM

I had read this on the Warped Tour site before Whitney posted it here. I knew that she simply copied and pasted it into this thread.

Idiot
07-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Thats awesome, cheers for posting the link.

What I am surprised about, is that has posted a photo of some of the hot chicks in those photos:

http://www.warpedtour.com/pit/7-22/30.jpg

Venom Symbiote
07-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Speaking of "Hit That"... ;)

Meow! Hiss! Spank!

That fox on the right is smokin'. Lucky geeky kid. Too bad he's emo - they get all the damn chicks. Sensitive little fucks. :)