PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pop-Punk Bands

original_prankster
11-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Well, there are now three categories in punk: Punk, Pop-Punk, and even Emo-Punk (thanks to Yellowcard...oi). What are your favorite 'pop-punk' bands?

Mine are...

1. The Offspring (They've been my favorite since...the Pretty Fly video first came on...)
2. Blink-182 (I've loved them since I was 7 :D )
3. Bowling For Soup (I discovered them when Drunk Enough To Dance was released. I instantly fell in love with their pop-punk style.)
4. Good Charlotte (SUE ME. I've liked them since their first CD came out.)
5. Green Day (One of my friends introduced me to them with the International Superhits best-of CD...I copied it on my comp and I listen to it alot!!)

lousyskater
11-16-2004, 10:49 AM
ALL POP-PUNK MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone. it has a completely decimated what was once punk and is just for the money, and not the music.
maybe an exception with the offspring, but the rest should all stop now.
________
IONITE VAPORIZOR (http://www.vaporizers.net/)

XYlophonetreeZ
11-16-2004, 11:21 AM
The best band that could ever be called pop-punk (even though there's a helluvalot more to them than that) is Lucky Boys Confusion. Give them a listen, bitches.

And Offspring and Green Day are alright too.

Nina
11-16-2004, 12:55 PM
i'd consider offspring punk-rock. (how is that not a
category? oh well...)..thats just me so leave me alone.

blink 182 is best pop punk, in my opinion.

selfrighteoussuicide
11-16-2004, 01:06 PM
green day is easily the best punk pop band around (offspring dont really fall into that genre in my opinion)

too_close_to_see
11-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Yep, Green Day is the best of the lot.

The Joker
11-17-2004, 08:34 AM
I would say that Punk rock is category for it's self, like pop-punk and emo-punk.
Offspring, Green Day is Punk Rock, while Blink 182, I would like to call pop-punk.

ihatechrissneed
11-17-2004, 09:52 AM
dimmu borgir and in extremo

Toxic Speed Bump
11-17-2004, 09:58 AM
I dont get this pop punk theory. Offspring arent really pop its more grungy. but good charlotte suck monkey balls.

original_prankster
11-17-2004, 11:43 AM
I would say that Punk rock is category for it's self, like pop-punk and emo-punk.
Offspring, Green Day is Punk Rock, while Blink 182, I would like to call pop-punk.

Well, the Offspring's older stuff was punky. Self-titled, Ignition, Smash & Ixnay On The Hombre (Ixnay seemed like hardcre punk to me) were punky. Americana, Conspiracy of One (my personal favorite), and Splinter were Pop-punkish. But, Splinter also had some pure-punk songs like Da Hui.

And I do agree about Green Day, it's just that Warning was their poppiest album ever so I didn't want to call them Punk rock cuz I thought ppl would say "nooo they are Pop-Punk!" and argue with me about it.

Blink-182 however is Pop-Punk no matter what anyone says...and now they've gone from Pop-Punk to Emo-Pop-Punk-The Cure-Rip-Offs but I still like them.

Good Charlotte is the poppiest of the Pop-Punk group and I wasn't too fond of their new album, though I did like 5 tracks on it. But I loved their first 2 CD's.

Friggin Yellowcard came up with emo-punk, and I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THEM! I hate emo enough already...

Vera
11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Stop whining, bitches, pop-punk doesn't mean it sucks. It's still punk, it's just punk about girls rather than spitting at a cop.

Descendents & Green Day for me.

Tijs
11-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Offspring
Blink 182
Sum 41
SunEatsHours
More...

QUEEF
11-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Well, there are now three categories in punk: Punk, Pop-Punk, and even Emo-Punk (thanks to Yellowcard...oi). What are your favorite 'pop-punk' bands?

Mine are...

1. The Offspring (They've been my favorite since...the Pretty Fly video first came on...)
2. Blink-182 (I've loved them since I was 7 :D )
3. Bowling For Soup (I discovered them when Drunk Enough To Dance was released. I instantly fell in love with their pop-punk style.)
4. Good Charlotte (SUE ME. I've liked them since their first CD came out.)
5. Green Day (One of my friends introduced me to them with the International Superhits best-of CD...I copied it on my comp and I listen to it alot!!)
The same with me for number 3. I found out about them when Drunk Enough came out and I love them now.

QUEEF
11-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Green Day Is The Best Fucking Band No Matter What It Is. Why Are People Always Concerned About Genre? If You Like It, Like It Regardless Of What Genre It Is. Green Day Is Number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eccentric Sara
11-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Stop whining, bitches, pop-punk doesn't mean it sucks. It's still punk, it's just punk about girls rather than spitting at a cop.

Descendents & Green Day for me.:D Exactly! I hate it when ppl criticise perfectly good music,just because it is popular. Popular/mainstream is NOT synonymous with bad quality.The typical musical styles of pop-punk and punk-rock music (aswell as the lyrical themes) do differ though. Pop-punk tends to be softer and less raw-more like pop music,infact!!!! For example,some Good Charlotte songs don't sound like rock at all (and are a bit bland for my liking!).For this reason,I don't think The Offspring or Greenday really fall into the category of pop-punk,as their music is heavier than most pop-punk music.
On the whole,I'm not very keen on pop-punk,as I find it a bit dull musically (not heavy enough!!!!),and lyrically. (There are only so many times I can listen to a song about girls/high school etc.) Also,quite often,the vocals are weak,half-hearted and irritating. I like music to sound heartfelt,like the band has put 110% into the song,not like they couldn't quite be bothered on the day it was recorded. I DO NOT dislike most pop-punk because it is popular. I dislike it because in comparison,I think that there is a lot of better music out there .Whether the bands sell a lot of records or are considered "sellouts" is irrelevant to me. I do have 3 Blink-182 albums though.Their recent stuff I find boring as they are trying to be all emo and serious,when the fast,funny and smutty songs were what made me like them in the first place. I quite like Sum 41, and have "All Killer,No Filler",but have better music to spend my money on these days. The few songs by Bowling For Soup that I've heard I like.
Sorry if I'm laying into music that a lot of ppl like.:S I'm not trying to upset anyone. I like SOME pop-punk.Sometimes it is nice to listen to lyrics that make me laugh or don't force me to think about their meaning,but on the whole,I prefer my music to have energy,enthusiasm and varied,meaningful lyrics.

Chris
11-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I don't exactly have the most refined taste in this genre, as it is one which doesn't particulary interest me unless done to a very high standard - too much of a saturated genre really, so my vote goes for Offspring (duh), Green Day and Blink 182 (older material naturally).

Jebus
11-18-2004, 03:46 PM
other than offspring, Green Day and Blink

babycraze{Angie}
11-18-2004, 04:49 PM
EXACTLY! QUEEF! I FUCKIN' LOVE GREEN DAY TOO! but newayz, a friend of mine told me that there are differ types of rock out nowadays and i told him that just about everybody is arguing that supposedly punk is dead WHICH IS NOT FUCKIN' TRUE! i said that punk is NOT dead becuz punk only came about through the MUSIC! YA HEARD PPL! I SAID THE MUSIC! NOT THE MUTHAFUCKIN' LOOK! THE MUSIC! even tho i dress gothy/punk/ghetto (that is how i dress so don't wear it out and don't use my style u damn fuckin' freeloaders) so wat? i might dress it and like, but i've noticed a shit load of other ppl do the same shit but they don't know shit about punk music nor rock period, they're just doing it cuz it's a trend and type of "in" style now. they didn't kill punk not one fuckin' bit, cuz punk (like i said) originated in the music! my friend told me that wat i said is completely true, and he also said that we should all like wat we like, we should all remember the reason y we fell in love with wat we like, y we listen to this type of music, and not to part of a trend is trendy. and i think that is so true becuz that is what ppl get confused nowadays. u can like stuff that's mainstream, so wat? i mean, wat if that band were to stay underground? and they really spoke to u (no not literally i mean musicly or lyrically) and u neva found out about them cuz they were underground and they stood only in their area, and u were all the in germany or sumthin'. ya get my point of view? thing is, nobody stays true to themselves anymore, everybody just follows wat everybody else is doing. fuckin' bandwagon shit. the only way u can say that a band "sold out" is if they changed their music just cuz their label or w/e told them to. like if for say, Offspring (let's just say) hardcore death metal or sumthin' then a label came and they signed the contact and stuff then they were told to change their music to like real soft rock. u would notice no shit that's not their style, now that's when u can claim they sold out, not becuz they want the money, i mean, fuckin' grow up, just close to about everybody needs money, but as long as u came with wat u started and do wat u love to do stays as y u did it in the 1st place.
AND EMO FUCKIN' SUX! I HATE EVANESCENCE AND YELLOWCARD! i only like Only One by Yellowcard that's it. the rest (to me) suck and i liked Bring Me To Life and Going Under by Evanescence but they played it too much that i got sick of it so now i hate it. A SHITLOAD! :cool:

Vera
11-19-2004, 03:55 AM
Exactly! I hate it when ppl criticise perfectly good music,just because it is popular. Popular/mainstream is NOT synonymous with bad quality.
See, I tend to think of pop-punk, not as punk that is popular, but rather just punk that's, well, poppy. Like the Descendents. They're not known on the level Green Day or Sum41 are known, they've been around since the late 70's and are still doing songs about food, coffee and girls.

There are probably more of these "old school" pop-punk bands, but my music knowledge doesn't really cover them.

too_close_to_see
11-19-2004, 08:28 AM
^Descendents rule.

Eccentric Sara
11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
See, I tend to think of pop-punk, not as punk that is popular, but rather just punk that's, well, poppy. Like the Descendents. They're not known on the level Green Day or Sum41 are known, they've been around since the late 70's and are still doing songs about food, coffee and girls.

There are probably more of these "old school" pop-punk bands, but my music knowledge doesn't really cover them.Yeah,I see what u mean.I see pop-punk as a cross between punk and pop music too,its just that some of it is popular and gets into the charts aswell because softer music tends to appeal to the majority.

bd007h
11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Green Day and Sum 41 (I don't consider the offspring to be Pop Punk)

actually, Sum 41 has taken a wide turn away from pop punk, and they are getting a lot better.

BREAK
11-21-2004, 11:28 AM
AND EMO FUCKIN' SUX! I HATE EVANESCENCE AND YELLOWCARD!

Neither of those bands are emo. You don't know shit from shit.

babycraze{Angie}
11-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Neither of those bands are emo. You don't know shit from shit.

and u don't know nething about ME so i wouldn't be talking "shit from shit" (and don't even say nething about "well u don't know me either" cuz i neva said i did, and besides, have u finished with being a cuney?..............................i don't think u will

BREAK
11-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Pardon me for expecting you to know what the fuck you're talking about before you start making blanket statements like "EMO FUCKIN' SUX!".

dirty_magic
11-24-2004, 10:41 AM
i dont consider the offspring or green day to be pop punk! pop punk sucks and is dominated by bands like busted and mcfly and therefore should and need to be hated

Vera
11-24-2004, 11:21 AM
HAHAHAHAHAH, good one.

Master of Puppets
11-24-2004, 01:04 PM
this is a tricky subject so let me specify on me beliefs:

pop punk is stuff like green day and the descendents, punk with poppy choruses or songs or whatever

stuff like Good Charlotte, Blink, Yellowcard, pretty much any other band these days, i consider pop, they dont have any punk in em and just suck

Eccentric Sara
11-24-2004, 02:31 PM
i dont consider the offspring or green day to be pop punk! pop punk sucks and is dominated by bands like busted and mcfly and therefore should and need to be hatedBands like Busted and McFly are POP,not pop-punk. Listen to the tempo and style of the music. Compare it to actual pop-punk like Sum-41/early Blink-182. Pop-punk tends to be faster and upbeat- like a watered down version of punk. Pop bands simply make POP music with instruments ,rather than just singing over backing music created electronically in a studio,like pop groups/singers do. Their lyrics can be similar to those of pop-punk bands,but the musical styles are usually different.Occasionally,they overlap a bit,but I would still never call Busted and McFly pop-punk. It's an insult to pop-punk bands. I think ppl confuse the two genres because pop bands tend to dress in skater/punk clothing. A band's musical style and image are two separate things!!! When will some ppl realise that?!!! Some ppl say Avril Lavigne is punk,purely because she wears stripey armbands,ties and chains. No,no,NO!!!!! :mad: She is a pop singer who has done 2 or 3 soft rock songs, who happens to wear "punky" clothes. This does not make her a punk SINGER. Ppl should learn what different musical genres sound like ,so that they can distinguish between them, before they categorise certain bands.
Thankyou and goodnight.

Master of Puppets
11-24-2004, 02:56 PM
thank you sara for clearing that up, thats what i was gettin at but you did it better

Eccentric Sara
11-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Thankyou. Glad to help! :D

Jakebert
11-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Green Day- My favorite band, actually.
Decendents
Goo Goo Dolls- Their early stuff was pop/punk. And awesome.
Husker Du- Their later stuff is pop/punk.
The Living End

RageAndLov
06-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Usually I can't stand pop-punk. I only listen to Green Day, offspring and some NOFX from the pop-punk genre. Bands like blink-182 and Sum 41 make me want to puke.
Hardcore punk is so much better!

jacknife737
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Pop Punk is my favorite version of punk, the problem is that most people seemed to have this skewed definition of it. Bands like Simple Plan, Fall Out Boy, et al aren't 'pop punk'; they are pop-rock bands that probably used to listen to Green Day when they were in high school.

Stuff like Dillinger Four, Larry Arms, Off With Their Heads, The Ergs, Teenage Bottlerocket, Against Me!, Alkaline Trio, Green Day, Nofx, Lagwagon, are some of my favorites, but that list could just keep growing and growing.

dff_punk
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Band's like Simple Plan, Fall Out Boy, et al aren't 'pop punk'; they are pop-rock band's that probably used to listen to Green Day when they were in high school.

This is one of the best sentences I ever saw in the BBS, so true, almost sig-worthy! Thanks.

coke_a_holic
06-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I dunno if I'd call the Larry Arms pop-punk; they're a little too... not poppy? Whatever, the correct answer is Jawbreaker.

renato piquette
06-19-2009, 08:48 PM
can bands like lagwagon or i hate kate be considered as pop punk?

jacknife737
06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I dunno if I'd call the Larry Arms pop-punk; they're a little too... not poppy? Whatever, the correct answer is Jawbreaker.

Eh, they were probably the most questionable of the ones that I listed; when talking about his own band, Paddy from D4 once said something like "we play dirty pop punk"; and that seems to me, the best descriptions of the Larry Arms.

This is one of the best sentences I ever saw in the BBS, so true, almost sig-worthy! Thanks.

I am to please.