PDA

View Full Version : The cheesiest moment in an Offspring song

Weirddimensions
08-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Which Offspring moment do you think is the cheesiest? I tried to include some older songs in the poll but it's really when the band started approaching their mid-life years that they really brought the cheese. Anythng involving The Offspring and hip-hop pretty much has to make the list. I don't have much to say about some of them, like the part in "Don't Pick it Up" that's in this poll. There's nothing to say about that really, it's just cheesy, that's it. But there's a few things I want to point out:

"Worst Hangover Ever" - I don't know how Dexter managed to record the opening lines to this song without being overwhelmed by that chilly feeling you get when you do something really embarassing. Imagine if you'd never heard that song and on the Offspring main page you saw a headline that said: "For a limited time, download a 7 second clip of Dexter rapping and hear him say "Gonna bring you to yo knees" in his best fake hip-hop accent for only 99 cents!!!" Wouldn't you totally pay a buck to hear that? And to think, they added that little part to a track on Splinter with no extra charge.

"The Blurb" - Quite possibly the all-time lamest Offspring song. For all the new Offspring fans that might read this, The Blurb can't be found on any of their albums, it was released on one of their really old singles before Ignition. Everytime I've listened to the song I keep wondering what made Dexter think it would be a cool idea to spend 2 straight minutes making savage calls over a tribal drum beat. It reminds me of Atlanta Braves home games, where 35,000 white people hold up their hand like it's a hatchet and chant "Oooohhhhwhoawhoaooooohhhh....Oooooooowhoawhoawhoaa aaaa". It's the kind of thing that's almost offensive, but mostly it just looks (and sounds) reallly embarrassing. Stupid Braves.

"Race Against Myself" - I get that chilly feeling whenever I hear "I realize". It's Dexter's best Evanescence impersonation, and it turns out he's actually A LOT better at doing a hip-hop accent. Also, I don't know if it's the weird effect on his voice, or if he sung it that way, but those two words come out really whiny. "eeeyyyyyeeeeeee reaaal liiiessss" I don't see what the point is in trying to imitate the newer bands like Evanescence and Staind. I mean, it's only been 2 years since Splinter and those bands are pretty much forgotten about. Why imitate bands that come and and go before they've released more than 2 records, when your own style has kept you around for more than a decade?

"L.A.P.D." - As good as this song is, and as good a job Dexter does on vocals, I still wish I could've been in the studio around that time. It would've been great if I could've barged into their recording room while Dexter was in the middle of recording the vocals and set off a siren with red flashing lights while saying "White man rapping, white man rapping" over and over again through a loudspeaker. If they'd come out with this song a little later on, when rap/rock was so trendy that every other metal band had a rapper instead of a lead singer, I think "L.A.P.D" would be the consensus choice for cheesiest moment. But it couldn't have been that common in '92, and the song is good, so I don't know if it really deserves a vote. It involves hip-hop though, so it makes the list.

But yea, it's not like The Offspring aren't a cool band or anything. Plenty of bands have their cheesy moments, many of them are cheesier than The Offspring. I mean, every Def Leppard song ever written can probably be considered a cheesy moment. The Offspring just happen to have enough cheesy moments to make a poll about, there's nothing wrong with that.

barangatang
08-07-2005, 06:48 PM
the cheesiest moment ever is the bridge for "one fine day.":

believe it's my god-given right,
To destroy everything in my sight,
Cos' it never gets dull, it never gets old,
The only thing it gets is more bold.
Drinkin', Fightin', goin to the game,
In our world it's a way to stay sane,
If your asking me,
To have it my way, I'd say that's,
One fine day.

this makes me cringe.

Pranksta
08-07-2005, 06:59 PM
I find none of those things cheesy. However, when they play Walla Walla live and Dexter does the "Oh no not this time my friend...etc." lyrics, it does seem a bit awkward.

Conspiracy of One
08-07-2005, 07:21 PM
lol "when were chillin and we got a case of skrohs" what usually happens after an alchohol intake?

bd007h
08-07-2005, 07:27 PM
"Give It To Me Baby"

that is by far the most cheesiest.

beautifulnightmare
08-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Dexter pretending to a kid thief and a sheriff in "Walla Walla" lmfao

SMASH0390
08-07-2005, 08:19 PM
i thought those all were cool.......wat i thought was cheezy was in Defy You "the wind blows I lean into the wind" i thought that was the worst constructed line ever. besides that those are all cool

Homer
08-07-2005, 08:32 PM
How exactly is L.A.P.D. rap? I mean, what the fuck? Have you even heard a rap song?

HisHolinessSatan
08-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Worst hangover ever for me, but I've never heard the Blurb, sounds pretty odd though.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
08-07-2005, 08:36 PM
How exactly is L.A.P.D. rap? I mean, what the fuck? Have you even heard a rap song?

Exactly. He just sings at a faster pace. The threadstarter obviously isn't a brotha.

Anyways, I'll go with something not mentioned:

Living In Chaos - "Got his own song man, it goes like this" or whatever it is that Dexter says first.

barangatang
08-07-2005, 08:37 PM

hes singing fast, which obvoiusly means he is rapping :rolleyes:

Turbonegro
08-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Redman really raps up a storm in Original Prankster.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Redman really raps up a storm in Original Prankster.

You know? He says a whole three words in the song.

"Original Pranksta!"

"Original Yeeeah!"

Wish I could bust a rhyme like that. :rolleyes:

off_spring_for_life
08-07-2005, 08:50 PM
:confused:
um................ i dont think any of those are chessyyyyyyy..............yeah.........any way i think i am just bored or maybe this is a message from god tell you should all give me lots of money or....maybe im just lieing or maybe im realy realy realy realy bored and this message is a message is boreing to read or ....... NOT

HisHolinessSatan
08-07-2005, 08:51 PM
um................ i dont think any of those are chessyyyyyyy..............yeah.........any way i think i am just bored or maybe this is a message from god tell you should all give me lots of money or....maybe im just lieing or maybe im realy realy realy realy bored and this message is a message is boreing to read or ....... NOT

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/detoxification-not-medication.jpg

willtodeath
08-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Cheeseyyyy....
mmm cheese...houuohuhhouhggggg
The Synth in Hit That....
________
Geo/chevrolet tracker (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Geo/Chevrolet_Tracker)

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
08-07-2005, 08:54 PM

are you retarded?

Venom Symbiote
08-07-2005, 09:04 PM
QUOTE:
"How exactly is L.A.P.D. rap? I mean, what the fuck? Have you even heard a rap song?"

The verse in L.A.P.D. is Dexter rapping. Rapping. What the hell are you smoking to think it's not? You psychotic crack-monkey, you.

QUOTE:
"But it couldn't have been that common in '92."

Um...

Rage Against the Machine's entire self-titled first album and Faith No More's "Epic" should be enough evidence to the contrary. MASSIVELY popular and influential recordings, and were released around the same time.

Unnatural Disaster
08-07-2005, 09:14 PM
the "uh-huh, uh-huh" part in Pretty Fly

off_spring_for_life
08-07-2005, 09:18 PM
i heard that what you said about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
i might cry

coke_a_holic
08-07-2005, 09:20 PM
i might cry
While you're at it, douse yourself in lighter fluid and have a smoke.

off_spring_for_life
08-07-2005, 09:21 PM
you guys are mean t me :mad:

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
i might cry

I apologize. I was mean. Sorry 'bout that. I'm cranky today.

Apathy
08-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I find none of the things particularily cheesy. I think most of them are just cool little effects to spice up the song. And LAPD isn't rap.

I did vote for Special Delivery though. Out of all the things listed, that was the only part I didn't think fit into the song good.

GRfan
08-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Special Delivery and One Fine Day.

lost_nvrfound
08-08-2005, 01:04 AM
hes singing fast, which obvoiusly means he is rapping :rolleyes:
that shows how little you know... since when would fast singing be considered rap?!? :eek:

idiot

its funny, as i was reading all the comments about LAPD, i realized that LAPD started playing as i read the bits and pieces about LAPD... oh the irony

Weirddimensions
08-08-2005, 01:24 AM
QUOTE:
"But it couldn't have been that common in '92."

Um...

Rage Against the Machine's entire self-titled first album and Faith No More's "Epic" should be enough evidence to the contrary. MASSIVELY popular and influential recordings, and were released around the same time.

Also Ice T was in a metal band and he rapped for them, and Run DMC sampled rock songs and you could count that as rock/rap too. I think Public Enemy did that one song with Anthrax before '92, but I'm not sure. It'd been done by that time, but it wasn't common.

I think you could argue that Dexter wasn't rapping in "L.A.P.D.", but someone's gonna have to do better than "He wasn't fucking rapping, period." cause that'll never convince me. It's not that he's singing fast, it's that his vocals are more rhythmic. I don't think rapping is just talking into a microphone. Anyone can talk, everyone wants to rap, almost nobody CAN rap. There's a rhythym to it that not everyone can nail down. In rock music the guitar or the vocals usually provides a melody, but the vocals in rap are more related to drums, stuff that provides a beat. Anyways, I think it's pretty obvious that he's rapping in "L.A.P.D.". If Nelly replaced Dexter and changed the lyrics but did the vocals in the exact same way, nobody would be arguing about it. Nelly's a rapper by the way, even though it seems like he's just "singing fast".

SkyRocker
08-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Some elements of the poll are funny but i'll still see the head of dexter when he say "huh-huh", that's kinda pityful.

lost_nvrfound
08-08-2005, 01:49 AM
I think you could argue that Dexter wasn't rapping in "L.A.P.D.", but someone's gonna have to do better than "He wasn't fucking rapping, period." cause that'll never convince me. It's not that he's singing fast, it's that his vocals are more rhythmic. I don't think rapping is just talking into a microphone. Anyone can talk, everyone wants to rap, almost nobody CAN rap. There's a rhythym to it that not everyone can nail down. In rock music the guitar or the vocals usually provides a melody, but the vocals in rap are more related to drums, stuff that provides a beat. Anyways, I think it's pretty obvious that he's rapping in "L.A.P.D.". If Nelly replaced Dexter and changed the lyrics but did the vocals in the exact same way, nobody would be arguing about it. Nelly's a rapper by the way, even though it seems like he's just "singing fast".
pitch changes...when you rap, there aren't pitch changes... least not ones that are terribly noticable... he's got some pretty distinct pitch changes thrown in there... the melody is fairly plain though... so its kinda half sung, but i wouldn't go so far as to call it rapping...

damn! it took me forever to type just that little bit... i need to go to bed...

neocon58
08-08-2005, 03:30 AM
"I Realize"???? WTF are you on about???

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
08-08-2005, 06:10 AM
that shows how little you know... since when would fast singing be considered rap?!? :eek:

Hence the rolleyes. I think it was pretty obvious s/he was being sarcastic.

wishomie
08-08-2005, 06:56 AM
I voted for pretty fly.

Pranksta
08-08-2005, 07:56 AM

idiot

its funny, as i was reading all the comments about LAPD, i realized that LAPD started playing as i read the bits and pieces about LAPD... oh the irony

What's really ironic is that you called the other guy an idiot.

nameless
08-08-2005, 02:47 PM
that weird bit in special delivery!

original_prankster
08-08-2005, 02:59 PM
the cheesiest moment ever is the bridge for "one fine day.":

believe it's my god-given right,
To destroy everything in my sight,
Cos' it never gets dull, it never gets old,
The only thing it gets is more bold.
Drinkin', Fightin', goin to the game,
In our world it's a way to stay sane,
If your asking me,
To have it my way, I'd say that's,
One fine day.

this makes me cringe.
That song is awesome. :D

I think that part in So Alone was cheesey...then again, so was the rest of the song.

Nirushika6789
08-08-2005, 03:25 PM
In "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" when Dexter sings: "Uh-huh, Uh-huh"

definitely that...espiecially when he does it live...itssounds so funny when he does it live cos he sounds like a girl lol

Thucydides
08-08-2005, 03:26 PM
please please please dear god...not pretty fly!! :mad:

I loathe that song.

Weirddimensions
08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
So far no one thinks that "I realize" part in Race Against Myself is cheesy? I think I might've voted for that...

If you listen to the song, it's the part where Dexter sings with a really clean effect on his voice. It starts out soft, like he's far away, and then it slowly get's louder. Sooooo cheesy, I don't know what made them think that that added anything to the song at all.

P.S. Stop hating Pretty Fly

bd007h
08-08-2005, 06:49 PM
The "I realize" part in Race Against Myself is too hard to pick out without reading the lyrics along with the song. It's the part with the weird computerized sound effect before the versus. I think it's pretty damn cool.

pretty fly 88
08-08-2005, 07:55 PM
It was a tough choice, but Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) is their cheesiest song, so I voted for that.

bd007h
08-08-2005, 08:09 PM
I think it's their cheesiest song too, but I think the "Give It To Me Baby" is cheesier than the "Uh Huh, Uh Huh" .

HardCorps
08-08-2005, 09:58 PM
i think dexter's cheesiest moment was in the video i choose, his singing stance was pretty lame.

StayInTheHouseCarl
08-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Cheeseyyyy....
mmm cheese...houuohuhhouhggggg
The Synth in Hit That....

AGREED! i think that song wouldve been so much better without that annoying synth part!

offspring_freak_3
08-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I donīt know which to choose

Rag Doll
08-08-2005, 10:43 PM
i actually like the "uh huh" thing in pretty fly...

o_O

Telekinesis
08-09-2005, 02:22 AM
you guys are mean t me :mad:

I don't hate you, I was gonna put what you said in my signiture but there was no room (wanting to keep what's originally there of course)

notoriousdoc
08-09-2005, 03:15 AM
The Blurb kicks ass, but I think that Hit that is most cringe-worthy Offspring song ever. Good god those synths suck

Trip Boy
08-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Shit, am I the only one that loved Special delivery? I have no problem with it at all and it still remains one of my fav. offspring songs.

platinumpt
08-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Shit, where the hell is the "I realize" in Race Against Myself? Are you nuts, dude?

panzor41
08-09-2005, 04:52 AM
I love special delivery....but why did they have to put that tribal crap in there?

platinumpt
08-09-2005, 06:49 AM
I love special delivery....but why did they have to put that tribal crap in there?
I think that makes the song even better! When I heard that for the first time I couldn't believe it... I really thought something like "WOW Dexter is a genious, who would come up with something like this?"... my first favorite song ever from CO1 was, indeed, Special Delivery. And I think it still is... and has an amazing sound live... and all that stuff with the sirens, or whatever the hell that is, sounds great too!

Nirushika6789
08-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Shit, am I the only one that loved Special delivery? I have no problem with it at all and it still remains one of my fav. offspring songs.
nope i love special delivery so ur not alone

eyeball
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
i like special delivery too. i think it rocks. that tribal sound was from and old song called "Hooked on a feeling" i think...
And So Alone rocks!!!

and yes, the poll is missing the synth in hit that. Damn the lyrics are good, but i hate that song because of that synth.

Aimeht
08-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I wish I knew what 'cheesiest' mean? What is it?

Weirddimensions
08-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I wish I knew what 'cheesiest' mean? What is it?

Cheesy can mean a lot of things. If something's meant to be cool or new but comes off as old and outdated instead, it's cheesy. If something is done really poorly or if it's of poor quality, you could say that's cheesy. I like to use it to describe stuff that's stupid or silly enough to make me want to laugh. I don't know if other people use it that way, but if you like the sound of something, I think you should be able to say it even if it doesn't really make sense. Maybe I'm writing a bit too much on a word that's not very important. Only cheesy people ever use the word cheesy. :P

Shit, where the hell is the "I realize" in Race Against Myself? Are you nuts, dude?

It's probably kind of hard to tell that he's even singing in that part. It happens quite a few times during the song, you can actually hear it right before Dexter sings the first lines ("All I want/ All I need...). I'm HELLA not nuts.

And Special Delivery's great. This list is about parts of songs that I think are cheesy, it definitely doesn't mean the song itself is bad. Plus I kind of even like the cheesy parts cause, you know... they're funny and fun to make fun of.

platinumpt
08-10-2005, 01:44 AM
It's probably kind of hard to tell that he's even singing in that part. It happens quite a few times during the song, you can actually hear it right before Dexter sings the first lines ("All I want/ All I need...). I'm HELLA not nuts.
Yo! Sorry, but there's no "I realize" part, I've listened to the song all over again... you must confusing it with other words, I really don't know... :confused:

Amiralanal
08-10-2005, 03:21 AM
its the crappy noise in the beginning of hit that. i think that hit that ist their most crappy song.

Weirddimensions
08-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I really shouldn't have left Hit That out, I don't know what I was thinking.

And platinumpt, you might be tired of listening to that song, but you really can't miss it so if you try again you'll probably know what I'm talking about. Don't listen for words first or people singing, just listen for the sound. The sound starts real soft, and then builds up, getting louder and louder, and right when it ends Dexter starts singing in his normal voice. So just rewind right to right before you hear the first lines of the song and you should be able to hear that clean sounding effect. That sound is actually someone sing "I realize". Listen closely and you can make out the words.

deep-fried dog-food sushi
08-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Which Offspring moment do you think is the cheesiest? I tried to include some older songs in the poll but it's really when the band started approaching their mid-life years that they really brought the cheese. Anythng involving The Offspring and hip-hop pretty much has to make the list. I don't have much to say about some of them, like the part in "Don't Pick it Up" that's in this poll. There's nothing to say about that really, it's just cheesy, that's it. But there's a few things I want to point out:

"Worst Hangover Ever" - I don't know how Dexter managed to record the opening lines to this song without being overwhelmed by that chilly feeling you get when you do something really embarassing. Imagine if you'd never heard that song and on the Offspring main page you saw a headline that said: "For a limited time, download a 7 second clip of Dexter rapping and hear him say "Gonna bring you to yo knees" in his best fake hip-hop accent for only 99 cents!!!" Wouldn't you totally pay a buck to hear that? And to think, they added that little part to a track on Splinter with no extra charge.

"The Blurb" - Quite possibly the all-time lamest Offspring song. For all the new Offspring fans that might read this, The Blurb can't be found on any of their albums, it was released on one of their really old singles before Ignition. Everytime I've listened to the song I keep wondering what made Dexter think it would be a cool idea to spend 2 straight minutes making savage calls over a tribal drum beat. It reminds me of Atlanta Braves home games, where 35,000 white people hold up their hand like it's a hatchet and chant "Oooohhhhwhoawhoaooooohhhh....Oooooooowhoawhoawhoaa aaaa". It's the kind of thing that's almost offensive, but mostly it just looks (and sounds) reallly embarrassing. Stupid Braves.

"Race Against Myself" - I get that chilly feeling whenever I hear "I realize". It's Dexter's best Evanescence impersonation, and it turns out he's actually A LOT better at doing a hip-hop accent. Also, I don't know if it's the weird effect on his voice, or if he sung it that way, but those two words come out really whiny. "eeeyyyyyeeeeeee reaaal liiiessss" I don't see what the point is in trying to imitate the newer bands like Evanescence and Staind. I mean, it's only been 2 years since Splinter and those bands are pretty much forgotten about. Why imitate bands that come and and go before they've released more than 2 records, when your own style has kept you around for more than a decade?

"L.A.P.D." - As good as this song is, and as good a job Dexter does on vocals, I still wish I could've been in the studio around that time. It would've been great if I could've barged into their recording room while Dexter was in the middle of recording the vocals and set off a siren with red flashing lights while saying "White man rapping, white man rapping" over and over again through a loudspeaker. If they'd come out with this song a little later on, when rap/rock was so trendy that every other metal band had a rapper instead of a lead singer, I think "L.A.P.D" would be the consensus choice for cheesiest moment. But it couldn't have been that common in '92, and the song is good, so I don't know if it really deserves a vote. It involves hip-hop though, so it makes the list.

But yea, it's not like The Offspring aren't a cool band or anything. Plenty of bands have their cheesy moments, many of them are cheesier than The Offspring. I mean, every Def Leppard song ever written can probably be considered a cheesy moment. The Offspring just happen to have enough cheesy moments to make a poll about, there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm from Atlanta! and you know it is funny...they have a huge tribal drum and they do the chant...theres like three dudes standing just banging this large drum for about ten minutes straight, it pisses me off.

the cheesiest moment for me is...

"GOT A SOM'-SOM' AND IT GOES LIKE THIS"

beginning of living in chaos

deep-fried dog-food sushi
08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Exactly. He just sings at a faster pace. The threadstarter obviously isn't a brotha.

Anyways, I'll go with something not mentioned:

Living In Chaos - "Got his own song man, it goes like this" or whatever it is that Dexter says first.

aah, didn't realized you mentioned it

ruroken
08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
"Kill! Fuck off! Die!" is awesome.

Sam
08-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I like in walla walla when dexter pretends to be a thief xD