PDA

View Full Version : Are you self learnt?

China Boy
08-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Are you self learnt, or did you take lessons?

(With this I mean any instrument you play)

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Why just guitars? What about bass, drums, keyboard? Brass instruments? Wind instruments? Do they not count now?

China Boy
08-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Why just guitars? What about bass, drums, keyboard? Brass instruments? Wind instruments? Do they not count now?

Good point. From now on this poll is about any instrument.

Homer
08-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I take drum lessons... but I'm thinking of stopping because they cost quite a bit of money.

Aimeht
Self learned.

TheUnholyNightbringer
Oh, and I'm self-learned.

Spork
08-09-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm self-taught.

The-Offspring-RuLe
08-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm self taught

RXP
08-09-2005, 02:49 PM
I play vocals and air guitar, I taught myself.

JoY
08-09-2005, 02:55 PM
self-learned when it comes to piano & guitar (not that I can play them very well) & mostly self-learned when it comes to the violin (which turned out to be successful).

0r4ng3
08-09-2005, 09:28 PM
I have a guitar class at school, where I learned notes and open chords (which was as far as I got). As of songs and other power chords, I was self-taught.

Edit: I'm thinking of learning to play bass, and I'll try self-taught.

Jebus
08-09-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm self-taught.
Same here but I'm planning on taking lessons. Theory is hard as fuck to learn without a teacher.

Brines
08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
You're obviously teaching yourself either way. It's not like the teacher does it for you.

0r4ng3
08-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Same here but I'm planning on taking lessons. Theory is hard as fuck to learn without a teacher.I'm not even trying to learn theory. I just learn from tabs.

Jebus
08-09-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm not even trying to learn theory. I just learn from tabs.
That's fine for most situations but if you want to progress as guitarist, you'll evetually have to learn some basic theory. I'm really starting to get into jazz improv but I need to learn some theory first.

coke_a_holic
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Lessons are the way to go. My teacher really taught me so much more than I paid for. He basically got me into music worth listening to. Before that, playing Guns n Roses' songs was something I never DREAMED of doing. I owe a lot to lessons, they DEFINITELY would help anyone who wants to learn an instrument if you have a good teacher. Like Jebus said, without a teacher you won't learn theory, without theory you'll suck. Simple as that.

Rancid_Guyxxx
08-09-2005, 10:21 PM
That's fine for most situations but if you want to progress as guitarist, you'll evetually have to learn some basic theory. I'm really starting to get into jazz improv but I need to learn some theory first.

Theory also helps a lot for a band. Instead of saying "ok powerchord on the 5th fret on the 5th string, then 7th fret 6th string blah blah blah". You can just say the chord pattern is D B A

0r4ng3
08-09-2005, 10:21 PM
That's fine for most situations but if you want to progress as guitarist, you'll evetually have to learn some basic theory.I don't want to progress. Guitaring for me is just a hobby. Besides, I play mostly punk songs.

Jebus
08-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Lessons are the way to go. My teacher really taught me so much more than I paid for. He basically got me into music worth listening to. Before that, playing Guns n Roses' songs was something I never DREAMED of doing. I owe a lot to lessons, they DEFINITELY would help anyone who wants to learn an instrument if you have a good teacher. Like Jebus said, without a teacher you won't learn theory, without theory you'll suck. Simple as that.
I know someone online who's helping me with my theory questions. It's not the same as having a real teacher but it's much easier than learning from this shitty theory book I have.

I don't want to progress. Guitaring for me is just a hobby. Besides, I play mostly punk songs.
You're fine then.

barangatang
08-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I took lessons 1 every other months(or as often as my parents could afford)

Jebus
08-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Theory also helps a lot for a band. Instead of saying "ok powerchord on the 5th fret on the 5th string, then 7th fret 6th string blah blah blah". You can just say the chord pattern is D B A
You mean D5 B5 A5 :)

0r4ng3
08-09-2005, 10:29 PM
You mean D5 B5 A5 :)I know some music theory. Like I said, I take a guitar class at my school. Also, my brother used to take lessons (for about 3 months), and he knows a little more than I do, so he taught me some stuff.

SkyRocker
08-10-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm learning guitar by myself from tabs i find on the net.
Don't have the money yet to get some lessons. As It's been said, it's a hobbie for me so theory will be for later.

Idiot
08-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Self-taught or "self learnt" as you call it.

But I play drums and not guitar.

JoY
08-10-2005, 02:26 AM
you *can* learn theory on your own, but I guess hardly anyone would take the effort. it's the basics that I find pretty hard to figure out on my own. how to put your fingers, which fingers go where, how your instrument is the easiest to play... I learned the basics from a teacher, when it comes to the violin & never had one theory lesson. I figured that stuff out on the way. the rest I learned to myself & as I said; that was pretty successful.

I taught myself some of the theory of playing the piano, but hell, being able to read what's written on paper, doesn't mean you can play it. it's extremely difficult to me, even. I must say it helps I play the violin, because things can't really get more complicated than that with any instrument.

& I -would- recommend taking a teacher, just like Mike. it opens the doors of a world full of music. they're a source for new things you can play, adjusted to what you *can* play. they can correct you, whenever you're not sure. they show you practical tactics & give you advice on how to handle your instrument best.... if I'd have the courage, the time & the will, I'd definitely take violin-lessons again (instead of *giving* them), start piano- & guitar-lessons. & singing-lessons, because that'd be ace.

killer_queen
08-10-2005, 03:02 AM
My piano teacher always told me if you can play piano well you can easily learn another instrument. He's right, it didn't take so much time when I started to play flute and cello.
Taking lessons is important, whatever you play you must read notes easily.

JoY
08-10-2005, 03:11 AM
my teacher always told me; "if you can play the violin properly, nothing will ever be as hard."
not to brag, or anything, but it IS a weird instrument. the way you hold it already is very unnatural. I remember getting tendon infections, when I held it a tad wrong for over an hour. graahhh, those sucked. & when I was little, my teacher used to stick these little pieces of paper on my violin under the snares on the -exact- spot, where I'd have to put my little finger. I can't think of any instrument, where you have to be so goddam precise.

BUT I'm having a REAL hard time being able to read the left hand of the piano. I can read the right hand -perfectly-, because it's the same notes you use to play the violin, but the left hand on the other hand.... *giggles* I really need to practise on the left hand & then I might be better at it. I bet that's a major advantage, when you play the piano; you can read two.. what do you call that?? anyway, must be practical when playing cello! plus, you learn to let both hands cooperate very well & that comes in handy with every other instrument.

killer_queen
08-10-2005, 03:26 AM
Although my first instrument is piano I've never been able to read the left hand as good as right hand. She (and he I had two teachers) used to gave me a lot of homeworks for left hand. I still get confused when I'm playing F key (I guess we call it F key, I don't know its meaning in English).

JoY
08-10-2005, 03:38 AM
that's also what we'd call it.
yeah, but I think we're pretty much from the same corner of the Earth. ;p

Mentally_Challenged
08-10-2005, 03:44 AM
Self Taught. But I will probably be getting lessons from one of my dads friends soon. He's a guitarist in a local band, so he offered to give me some free lessons to 'help me along' a bit =)

notoriousdoc
08-10-2005, 04:29 AM
Self taught, I've been playing for about 3 months now and getting good