PDA

View Full Version : Best CD you've bought this year?

neocon58
08-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Well, unlike many of you twats, many of us still go out and support our favourite bands by buying their CDs rather than downloading them.

So what's the best CD you've bought this year? Explain a little why you like it.
Post a link to a video clip or mp3 if you can.

The best CD I've bought so far this year I only bought two days ago. It's called 'Discovering the Waterfront' by the band 'Silverstein'.

The genre is what I guess is Screamo with a mix of Emo and Punk. The guy is a great singer and a great screamer too. I love the guitar parts on this CD, lots of multitracking going on (different guitar parts going on simultaneously for a more dynamic sound), but not the the point where it's unenjoyable for the listener. Bass is punchy and fits in well. Drumming is amazing, unlike anything I've ever heard before (perhaps thats because I used to live on a diet of Offspring, NOFX, Blink, Sum 41 and Green Day :D ).

Stand out songs on this CD: Smile in your Sleep, Discovering the Waterfront.

The only bad thing about this band is the drummer and bassist's full on emo haircut.

Anyway, I'll let the music do the talking:

http://www.purevolume.com/silverstein

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-303779-videos--Silverstein

So yeah, share your favourite CD purchases here!!!

nieh
08-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante. I actually bought it near the end of last year, but it's still within 365 days. The band is incredibly talented and has insane song structure. They'll be playing jazz one minute followed by death metal with a jazz saxophone overtop of it that makes it sound like a very very angry cartoon. Then they'll play surf rock followed by some middle eastern techno. They somehow manage to make the odd pieces fit together into an awesome whole. The craziest part is that when they play jazz, it's GOOD jazz, when they play death metal, it's GOOD death metal, when they play techno, it's GOOD techno it's not like they're just playing characatures with weird structure, they're actually playing really really fucking good music with weird structure.

neocon58
08-11-2005, 05:54 AM
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante.

Whoa, that sounds pretty crazy. I'll check them out.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-11-2005, 06:10 AM
Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

Evil-Dead
08-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Millencolin - Kingwood

dalaksta
08-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Well, unlike many of you twats, many of us still go out and support our favourite bands by buying their CDs rather than downloading them.

So what's the best CD you've bought this year? Explain a little why you like it.

The best CD I've bought so far this year I only bought two days ago. It's called 'Discovering the Waterfront' by the band 'Silverstein'.

The genre is what I guess is Screamo with a mix of Emo and Punk. The guy is a great singer and a great screamer too. I love the guitar parts on this CD, lots of multitracking going on (different guitar parts going on simultaneously for a more dynamic sound), but not the the point where it's unenjoyable for the listener. Bass is punchy and fits in well. Drumming is amazing, unlike anything I've ever heard before (perhaps thats because I used to live on a diet of Offspring, NOFX, Blink, Sum 41 and Green Day :D ).

The only bad thing about this band is the drummer and bassist's full on emo haircut.

Thats kida hard to decide. I bought all the old offspring stuff this year I had some before this year but I wanted more, and I bought American Idiot: Greenday I think the offspring rocks but American Idiot is a great CD.
I think Ixnay On The Hombre or Smash was my best buy this year.

notoriousdoc
08-11-2005, 06:34 AM
1,039 smoothed out/slappy hours

Autonomist
08-11-2005, 06:45 AM
TSOL's "Dance With Me". I got this on a recommendation, and ended up getting into a really fucking awesome band. Uhh, a description on why it's so good..

Nah fuck that.

Rag Doll
08-11-2005, 06:49 AM
ah, tie between Billy Corgan's *The Future Embrace* and Louis XIV's *The Best Little Secrets Are Kept*. They're too different for me to really say which is better.

Apathy
08-11-2005, 07:13 AM
I've bought so many albums this year.

It's probably either Millencolin- Kingwood or Self Titled Sublime ( I know, I know, Nine years after it comes out)

Idiot
08-11-2005, 07:47 AM

Good album.

As for Mr Bungle, I used to have some of their stuff, must be on my old PC...

Brines
08-11-2005, 08:08 AM
50 Cent - The Massacre.

Haha, just kidding. I ripped that one!

Aimeht
08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Except for the Greatest Hits, I'd say Mezmerize (SOAD).

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Oh no, I'm changing mine -

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Iced Earth. OK, so I didn't technically buy it, but it's still the best album I've heard this year.

Little_Miss_1565
08-11-2005, 08:42 AM
I haven't bought a CD in ages...godilovemyjob.

My favorite release of this year though is Nick Cave's B-Sides and Rarities box set. The man is so amazing even the tracks he cuts from his albums are incredible.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Exactly :cool:

Well.... I've bought 70% of my cds (or something like that) this year so I have quite a lot to choose from..... But I have to say Warriors Of The World by Manowar. The genre is heavy metal (or "Conan-rock" as somebody called it), but on this cd they actually have some different songs too, like The March and Nessun Dorma.
Go here (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=3551610&style=music&cart=264001759) if you wanna listen to some clips before you buy it, because you simply have to buy it.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-11-2005, 09:09 AM
The Offspring - Splinter

Buy more CD's.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I do. I bought 6 CD's in the last 4 days.

And THAT was the best? What were the others? Great Mouth Organ solos of the 50's? The Sound of Vomit? Nails on a Blackboard?

Tijs
08-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Just let him like The Offspring TUNB. Why do you care..?

I think mine is BoySetsFire - Tomorrow Come Today
either that one or Foo Fighters - The Color And The Shape

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Just let him like The Offspring TUNB. Why do you care..?

My issue is not with The Offspring. It's that that one particular album is the best he's bought ALL year. It's hardly that good.

JohnnyNemesis
08-11-2005, 09:16 AM
System of a Down's "Mezmerize" and "B.F.F" by The Pharmacy were the best albums I bought this year. Both were simply phenomenal.

Oh, and "Just Joined" by Jughead's Revenge is another great CD I bought this year, but since I was just re-purchasing it since it was stolen from me years ago, I guess it doesn't count.

Chris
08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
From what I can remember, would have to be Epoxies - Stop The Future or Shark Attack - Fish, both getting a lot of playtime. Finally getting my cd want list down to a respectable size...

freak-doll
08-11-2005, 09:41 AM
in flames-clayman
not the best album ive got but i havnt really bought that many albums this year

Endymion
08-11-2005, 10:06 AM
hm..

maybe 6 minute heartstop.

killer_queen
08-11-2005, 10:23 AM
George Michael's Greatest Hits or Best of, something like that, I don't know.

Apathy
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
My issue is not with The Offspring. It's that that one particular album is the best he's bought ALL year. It's hardly that good.

It's all his opinion,

But If he can say his opinion, i'll say mine. I hate Mars Volta with a passion. Every song I've heard by them makes me want to rip my ears out.

Vera
08-11-2005, 10:44 AM
*thinks hard*

Kent, "Du & Jag Döden". Yep, gotta be it.

0r4ng3
08-11-2005, 10:47 AM
The only CDs I bought this year are Greatest Hits, and every Bad Religion CD except No Substance and New America. I guess the best one is a tie between Against the Grain and Generator.

Thucydides
08-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Oasis - don't believe the truth.

That is, quite possibly, the only CD I have bought this year though...

JohnnyNemesis
08-11-2005, 10:55 AM
The only CDs I bought this year are Greatest Hits, and every Bad Religion CD except No Substance and New America. I guess the best one is a tie between Against the Grain and Generator.

Get No Substance IMMEDIATELY. And avoid The New America like the plague.

0r4ng3
08-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Get No Substance IMMEDIATELY. And avoid The New America like the plague.I've been trying to get both (like the plague, if that makes sence), but absolutely no stores have either. It took ages to find Recipe for Hate, also.

JohnnyNemesis
08-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Recipe For Hate was that last one I bought. I didn't like it, so I basically stopped buying their CDs at that point. The New America is much worse though. Ho-Lee-Crap.

Anyway, No Substance is one of their best. Two of the worst songs ever (Mediocre Minds and the 7th song) are on it, but I think everything else is complete GOLD (The Same Person, In So Many Ways, No Substance, Hear It, etc.). I hope you find it sooner than later.

China Boy
08-11-2005, 10:59 AM
The Offspring: Ignition

Little_Miss_1565
08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Recipe For Hate was that last one I bought. I didn't like it, so I basically stopped buying their CDs at that point. The New America is much worse though. Ho-Lee-Crap.

Anyway, No Substance is one of their best. Two of the worst songs ever (Mediocre Minds and the 7th song) are on it, but I think everything else is complete GOLD (The Same Person, In So Many Ways, No Substance, Hear It, etc.). I hope you find it sooner than later.

HAY, I like New America. It's not their best, sure, but it's still good. Their newest one though...now THAT one was dead on arrival.

NDM1
08-11-2005, 11:01 AM
System of a down- Mezmurize

0r4ng3
08-11-2005, 11:01 AM
HAY, I like New America. It's not their best, sure, but it's still good. Their newest one though...now THAT one was dead on arrival.What?! Empire Strikes Back was great! Nowhere near as good as Process of Belief, but not dead on arrival.

coke_a_holic
08-11-2005, 11:04 AM
I decided early this year to stop listening to crappy pop-punk bands and buy some cds from some bands with some talented musicsmanship. I'd have to say the best cd I got was Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon or Led Zeppelin's self titled. I don't think I need any reasoning.

Turbonegro
08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
God, I can't pick one. I've bought so many good cd's this year. But some of my favorites are:

Mindless Self Indulgence - Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Specials
Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
Motörhead - Overnight Sensation
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Primus - Frizzle Fry

Endymion
08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
oooh wait--Some Girls - The DNA Will Have Its Say

Socially Rejected
08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Silverstein - Discovering the waterfront

Socially Rejected
08-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Wooo ... someone who agrees with me - but the stand out song for me is my heroine :D

rodney mullen
08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
HIM's razorblade romance

willtodeath
08-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Francis The Mute - Mars Volta / Curtains - J.Frusciante

I know it's ment to be 2 but, fuck it. lets be punk about these things...saftey pins at the ready
________
Petite Webcam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/petite-girls/)

Swill
08-11-2005, 02:52 PM
cave in-until your heart stops
________
THE CIGAR BOSS (http://thecigarboss.com/)

grunge
08-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I haven't bought any Cd this year

Little_Miss_1565
08-11-2005, 03:29 PM
What?! Empire Strikes Back was great! Nowhere near as good as Process of Belief, but not dead on arrival.

Shit shit, you're right...Empire Strikes FIRST was great. I forgot about that one for a sec. I meant Process of Belief, which I can't believe you said was so good....

The album to me sounded like nothing but chubby balding middle aged white guys trying desperately to rekindle the flame of their former glory. Lyrically, thematically, and musically, it was boring as all hell and made me embarassed FOR them.

0r4ng3
08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Shit shit, you're right...Empire Strikes FIRST was great. I forgot about that one for a sec. I meant Process of Belief, which I can't believe you said was so good....Wait, I said "back"? Oops.

Process of Belief was good, though I can see why people wouldn't like some of the songs (Broken, Bored and Extremely Dangerous, etc.)

Zero
08-11-2005, 03:47 PM
The best cd i bought this year would have to be "Start a War" by Static-X..and I think its gonna stay that way, unless Tool actually manages to get its cd out in 2005

Go to http://www.Static-X.com (http://www.static-x.com/) to see a music video and you can even watch a rehearsal under media...

I'd have to say its the best cd I bought this year because I've been a Static-X fan for a long time and their last album was a major let down and this one makes up for it by a lot!

dont join their board though...all the boardies are really mean there...but the band members a nice.

Unnatural Disaster
08-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Out of Exile - Audioslave

nieh

Oh no, I'm changing mine -

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Iced Earth. OK, so I didn't technically buy it, but it's still the best album I've heard this year.

traitor!

I haven't bought a CD in ages...godilovemyjob.

My favorite release of this year though is Nick Cave's B-Sides and Rarities box set. The man is so amazing even the tracks he cuts from his albums are incredible.

Nick Cave bores me. Terribly. He had some neat stuff when he was with the Birthday Party but I've never heard anything from his solo career that didn't make me want to listen to something else.

Mr. Bungle - Carry Stress in the Jaw/Spy (http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=349G3ULXN013F1YPHS6KHC86FJ)

nieh
ZERO STOLE MY AVATAR!!!
But it's not the full dance sequence....

neocon58
08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Wooo ... someone who agrees with me - but the stand out song for me is my heroine :D

Thats a pretty good song too. There aren't many albums that I like EVERY song on, but this is one of them.

so_drastic
08-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Hmm...my favourite CDs that I got would have to be...

A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
Garbage - Self Titled
Garbage - Version 2.0
NIN - With Teeth

Yeah...And I got The Offspring - Ignition, which is a kick ass CD, but not my favourite.