PDA

View Full Version : I see the way the salesman...

Dragnet
08-11-2005, 11:06 AM
... stares into the sun.

So, my little question is:

Why does Dexter only talk to his fans on this page when he wants to sell them something instead of giving us something useful like a new "Dexter On Song"?
:confused:

OffspringerD@n
08-11-2005, 11:09 AM
good question. i really have no idea.
hey, please go to www.flogao.com.br/offspringnaveia
thatīs a web page i made dedicated to offspring pics. please go and coment
Itīs in portuguese because i live in brazil but please coment!!!

Dragnet
08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, right

killer_queen
08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
... stares into the sun.

So, my little question is:

Why does Dexter only talk to his fans on this page when he wants to sell them something instead of giving us something useful like a new "Dexter On Song"?
:confused:
Because he likes money more than his fans.

thecrowe72000
08-11-2005, 12:21 PM
To be fair, so would I.

Thucydides
08-11-2005, 02:55 PM
good question. i really have no idea.
hey, please go to www.flogao.com.br/offspringnaveia
thatīs a web page i made dedicated to offspring pics. please go and coment
Itīs in portuguese because i live in brazil but please coment!!!

will you please stop doing that.

ashtray_girl_1
08-11-2005, 04:03 PM
cuz he's a fuckin sellout!!!!!!!!:mad:

willtodeath
08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
if what...so, are you telling me that if someone offered you a big load of money to do what you enjoy doing...you say....'fuck YOU, im not selling out'
If you did...why? so you can work in a shit job get paid, fuck all and if you are in a band...maybe play in dives for the rest of your life. No. if i was in dexters shoes...hell, i'd be thinking of the money.
________
TAHARA PLANT (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Tahara_plant)

Little_Miss_1565
08-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Oh, please. Come on, guys, he's not our monkey.

willtodeath
08-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Who Dexter...
imangine tho....if he was
a little blonde spiky monkey
________
Crete recipes (http://www.cooking-chef.com/crete/)

ashtray_girl_1
08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
if what...so, are you telling me that if someone offered you a big load of money to do what you enjoy doing...you say....'fuck YOU, im not selling out'
If you did...why? so you can work in a shit job get paid, fuck all and if you are in a band...maybe play in dives for the rest of your life. No. if i was in dexters shoes...hell, i'd be thinking of the money.

i was just being sarcasic!ofcourse he's not a shitty sellout!

aeh20s
08-11-2005, 07:25 PM

you shouldn't make fun of Higgins like that.

eyeball
08-11-2005, 11:28 PM
lol Higgins!

I like Higgins he`s cool.

Nirushika6789
08-11-2005, 11:44 PM
you shouldn't make fun of Higgins like that.
lol nowthats a good one

Gabriel
08-12-2005, 02:54 AM
I can't understand it too... if he cares only about money, why he let AFI go to Dreamworks, when they just get popular, and now he is making adverts of some crappy dvd on this site?

Dragnet
08-12-2005, 06:12 AM
I didn't think of this sellout thing at all.
I just don't understand why there's almost no update or real interaction with the fans (except for Noodles sometimes) but only completely shitty, boring Infomercials (Dexter DOES sound like it).
Oh yeah, i know, Dexter is really convinced by his product :rolleyes:
WOW, overdubbed live performances and really rare stuff on a dvd.
That's something that has never been done before!

Just wanna let you know that I really love Offspring and blahblah

platinumpt
08-12-2005, 10:05 AM
This topic is great. Seriously, you're a genious, I liked the way you putted the topic, and then related it with Dexter! I knew exactly what you felt, but I've never been able to put it on my own words...

It's sad, I think the same sometimes... but money owns everything, nowadays... and maybe everyone has their function in the band: Atom writes the journal, Noodles posts here a few times and writes the journal too, and Dexter is the frontman, he has to make all the publicity. I'm sure he doesn't like that very much, you can tell it by the way he writes, I think... I could do better than that (but in portuguese, language:p)!

Dragnet
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Cool, at least someone who knows what I mean!

killer_queen
08-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I can't understand it too... if he cares only about money, why he let AFI go to Dreamworks, when they just get popular, and now he is making adverts of some crappy dvd on this site?
He might be an idiot, we don't know him.

Apathy
08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Cool, at least someone who knows what I mean!

This is one of the most intelligent threads in a while. You're beginning statement, not all the weird people with no grammar.

Anyway, My reasoning is, that he didn't even want to come online to talk about the DVD, he was just told to since we've been dry for news for a month before that happened, Since that was the easiest news to post, he posted about it so no one would be begging for news updates.

I don't really care if he is a sellout. If someone is a sellout but can still make good music, what's the difference?

dain84
08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
The guy has a doctorate!

Little_Miss_1565
08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
The guy has a doctorate!

He does not have a doctorate, but considering all the research he was doing before the band took off, I think it's safe to say he's not an idiot.

jackass
08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Oh no, he's definantly not an idiot, molecular biology is crazy! I tried to understand it, but failed miserably. It might have something to do with diabetes(sp?) but I'm not sure.

Kitten
08-12-2005, 07:13 PM

Maybe he just feels uncomfortable talking to the fans online? Not everyone is a big fan of the internet way of communication, and so he doesn't really like to post. I can see why, if you word it the wrong way, it can be aken completely out of context, and it pretty much permanant. At least speaking if someone gets the wrong meaning, you can explain it to them straight away.

willtodeath
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Also, check out some of the odd people on this forum...imagine Dexter
"hmm, what are the fans on the website forum up to??"
he then goes online a see's people debating which songs...they hate, why the new drummer sucks and more importantly...they all want to ask him a question....thats what he'd see if he popped online now.
Personnally i'd think twice
________
Babes live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/babes/)

Kitten
08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Also, check out some of the odd people on this forum...imagine Dexter
"hmm, what are the fans on the website forum up to??"
he then goes online a see's people debating which songs...they hate, why the new drummer sucks and more importantly...they all want to ask him a question....thats what he'd see if he popped online now.
Personnally i'd think twice

I think twice before posting most times, and I don't care what people think, he must to some degree.

Gabriel
08-13-2005, 01:22 AM
If someone is a sellout but can still make good music, what's the difference?

There is a big difference-now, when I hear 'something to belive in' I can't belive in things that Dexter's sings... it was just example, many songs may loose it's thruth

Dragnet
08-13-2005, 02:17 AM
Absolutely Gabriel!

But it's the sad truth that The Offspring reduce themselves to a punk band with "some melodic punk stuff and some more tongue in cheek songs" to please every customer right. It almost sounds like a recipe to me, how to make an Offspring album in the 21st century.

Venom Symbiote
08-13-2005, 04:59 AM
"Change the World" isn't a literal song.

Monkey-groping sons of mutated dong-pigeons. Sheez.

:rolleyes:

But I know what some of you mean: as soon as "Spare Me The Details" was released, I knew that anything Dexter said in the past is basically a crock of shit. The Offspring of the Ixnay era won't be coming back anytime soon. Back then they were ACCUSED of being sellouts, but WEREN'T (in heart). These days, though, they SO are. Warped Tour or not.

By the way, Noodles is a trendy douchebag, I've lost all respect for that self-compromising arse-nugget. Greg, on the other hand, Greg is still the same old awesome no-bullshit conservative everyman he always was. Props to Greg, last-remaining "average guy" of The Offspring. Atom rocks too, but hey, I can never really bring myself to think of him as part of "The Offspring" as a collective whole. He's still just the "replacement drummer", the "fill-in" in my eyes. It's not that I have anything against the guy, he's as good as a Ron-replacement possibly could be (the guy's one talented sheep-shagger! :) ), it's just Ron is always "The Offspring guy" to me, and always will be.

*long rant over* :D

P.S. I reiterate my Noodles comment. Stop wearing the "Not My President" shirts, you trendy metro piss-hole. Bush is an idiot, sure, but you're just DRAWING IN the 13-year-old Simple Plan & Green Day fans with that shit. It's abominable. ;)

platinumpt
08-13-2005, 05:30 AM
P.S. I reiterate my Noodles comment. Stop wearing the "Not My President" shirts, you trendy metro piss-hole. Bush is an idiot, sure, but you're just DRAWING IN the 13-year-old Simple Plan & Green Day fans with that shit. It's abominable. ;)
Damn, I really missed your posts dude :cool:

Dragnet
08-13-2005, 05:44 AM
"Change the World" isn't a literal song.

Monkey-groping sons of mutated dong-pigeons. Sheez.

:rolleyes:

What the heck? Just because I half quoted the song or what??

Little_Miss_1565
08-13-2005, 09:05 AM
But I know what some of you mean: as soon as "Spare Me The Details" was released, I knew that anything Dexter said in the past is basically a crock of shit. The Offspring of the Ixnay era won't be coming back anytime soon. Back then they were ACCUSED of being sellouts, but WEREN'T (in heart). These days, though, they SO are. Warped Tour or not.

Please, get over yourself.

I've been around here for a very, very long time, and I have heard people come on here with your exact same arguments over and over again, and you know what? They're all full of it. I think you're just looking for something to say about the band to make yourself feel more punk rock, and I think THAT is "abominable."

platinumpt
08-13-2005, 09:32 AM
^ If I may express my opinion... well, Splinter has some of the best, and also the worst songs, in my point of view, of The Offspring. I love The Noose, Long Way Home, CGMHAY and Hit That, for instance. But I really can't stand songs like Worst Hangover Ever, and Spar me the details. That was a real disappointment. I think worst hangover ever was enough crappy songs for an album. It was like the "why don't you get a job", but splinter version this time. So spare me the details wasn't that REALLY necessary. I thought it was gonna be a song like Denial, Revisited, which is a powerful song, a very melodic ballad, rock song. I loved it. But SMTD... I can't really listen to that song anymore... I've become tired of it since the first time I've heard it.

Gabriel
08-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Back then they were ACCUSED of being sellouts, but WEREN'T (in heart). These days, though, they SO are.

oh :D it sounds beutiful... it's like someone said- "Old Offspring- rest in peace"

Venom Symbiote
08-13-2005, 10:09 PM
No, no, no. It's nothing to DO with the music. Fuck, I love Conspiracy of One, probably equal to Smash. Americana is probably my least-favourite albums, but then again so is Self-Titled. Ignition and Ixnay are my favourite Offy albums, and they're totally different - from different periods in their career, different labels, differena attitudes. So whatever, y'know?

It's just in terms of, I dunno, "atmosphere" or something. The general "vibe" I get from the band these days is different. I mean, aside from any serious rock music fan seeing them as a fucking joke, The Offspring really aren't credible anymore. I'm not talking in terms of "punkness" or not, fuck I don't care. I don't consider myself a fan or "punk rock", just music in general. Most "punk" bands are lame anyway.

I'm talking in terms of general TRENDINESS and willingness to succumb to what's liked by the kiddies. Noodles and his rallying the 7th-graders against Republican America is quite the shittiality, for lack of a better word. Now I'm not saying these kids shouldn't be at their shows, I was about 12 when I got into the band in '97, so whatever y'know? It's just...different these days. Or something.

It's probably worse down here in Australia, mind you. They're actually a huge band down here, moreso in the public consciousness than in the U.S. The Offspring and the Foo Fighters are probably THE biggest international rock bands in the eyes of the Aussie everyman. "Spare Me The Details" is listened to by every man, dog, and his grandma's uterus. It's getting insane.

Popularity isn't an issue, I don't much mind. It's just the whole fact that Dexter is 40 years old writing shit about how sucky it is to be a teenager. Honestly, he's dropped in quality recently.

And yeah, I've probably been posting on the boards in one incarnation or another for almost as long as you, LM_1565, so don't get all condescending alright? Kinda retarded, basing knowledge on post-count or whatever.

Homer
08-13-2005, 10:31 PM
First off, not many people are fimiliar with The Offspring here.

And to the people who claim that they're sell-outs: What the hell? I mean, this is the band that I got into, and this is the band that I'll stick by. They make the music I like, they'll never change to a sell-out in my opinion. Also, is a shirt really going to make kids listen to a MUSIC band? I mean, when listening to music, you don't really pay attention to shirts. Sure, some songs that The Offspring has released aren't very good (I still like SMTD), but I mean, like every band, they're not perfect. Like they said before, they were experimenting. Label it as bullshit, I don't care, but don't call them sell-outs.

I could more indepth with this, but overall I'm just saying this: Seriously, get over it. Fuck all of this 'sell-out' shit and listen to the band that you claim to be 'one of your favorites', other than bitching about them.

Venom Symbiote
08-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Like I say: I don't care that they're "sellouts", doesn't bother me. But really, they are. That's not really what we're discussing here, though. "Good" or "bad" doesn't necessarily equate to "sellout" or "punk" - totally different dynamics there.

Fact is, the music is getting worse, and they seem to be much more half-arsed about the releases they're putting out these days. Videoclip DVD included.

Just take a look at the audience members in the different shows on that disc: Americana tour demographic compared to now, with the Smash to Splinter/Maximum Carnage stuff. They've gone downhill in terms of quality, take a look at who turns up to their shows these days. ;)

Dragnet
08-14-2005, 02:49 AM
I also think that Offspring actually consider themselves as a kids band.
Now I don't want them to turn to Bad Religion or something but everything they put out feels so calculated.

And to all the people who want us to stop bitching. Everyone who opens their eyes sees that the band has changed in their quality. Damn, it took them almost 4 years to make an album like Splinter! 4 years! That's what I call a lack of creativity. Now, still considering The Offspring as my favourite band I think ignoring this change in their music and attitude at all is just what all the blind "real" fans do and shouldn't do. Just because they are what they are doesn't mean that they are above reproach.

Besides that I think it's good that Offspring still have fans who defend them at all costs because I predict you that it will be fewer and fewer with every shitty album they put out without thinking about how to get some substance back in their band. :(

So, whats next? A live album? "From Smash To Splinter live". (The limited edition also contains a DVD) I bet you all waited for crap like this

Little_Miss_1565
08-14-2005, 03:12 AM
Dragnet, as much as it sounds like you'd rather this not be true, marketing is a very real and important part of a band's success.

Dragnet
08-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Of course it's important, but not at the expense of the quality of their music.

Good marketing doesn't adjust bad songs.

Amazed
08-14-2005, 03:42 AM
First off, not many people are fimiliar with The Offspring here.

And to the people who claim that they're sell-outs: What the hell? I mean, this is the band that I got into, and this is the band that I'll stick by. They make the music I like, they'll never change to a sell-out in my opinion. Also, is a shirt really going to make kids listen to a MUSIC band? I mean, when listening to music, you don't really pay attention to shirts. Sure, some songs that The Offspring has released aren't very good (I still like SMTD), but I mean, like every band, they're not perfect. Like they said before, they were experimenting. Label it as bullshit, I don't care, but don't call them sell-outs.

I could more indepth with this, but overall I'm just saying this: Seriously, get over it. Fuck all of this 'sell-out' shit and listen to the band that you claim to be 'one of your favorites', other than bitching about them.

This is the best post I've seen on the boards, and you're probably the smartest person here.

noodlesfan
08-14-2005, 09:19 AM
no, the shirt is him saying that he hates bush.if you were going to say anyone was drawing in kids with the shirt it would be fat mike, its from fat wreck, why is it that every thime someone in public wears a shirt of says something, they are suddenly a pouser, the offspring have been punk since before most members here were even born, so shut the fuck up, if anyone is a pouser, its you, because you listen to music from a band you think are sellouts.

Little_Miss_1565
08-14-2005, 10:32 AM
And yeah, I've probably been posting on the boards in one incarnation or another for almost as long as you, LM_1565, so don't get all condescending alright? Kinda retarded, basing knowledge on post-count or whatever.

Don't even go putting words in my mouth. I base my knowledge not on post count but on who I remember being around for a long time. I don't remember you. Ergo, why would I know that you've been around here for awhile.

You speak as though everything you're saying about the band isn't condescending, which it most certainly is.

Venom Symbiote
08-14-2005, 08:38 PM
It most definitely *is* condescending. Just no based on how long I've been posting here. In one form or another, I've been reading (mostly lurking, not posting) on the Offspring boards since about Americana-era, not that it's relevant. You seem to think it is.

QUOTE:
"no, the shirt is him saying that he hates bush.if you were going to say anyone was drawing in kids with the shirt it would be fat mike, its from fat wreck, why is it that every thime someone in public wears a shirt of says something, they are suddenly a pouser, the offspring have been punk since before most members here were even born, so shut the fuck up, if anyone is a pouser, its you, because you listen to music from a band you think are sellouts."

Go back to school where you're supposed to be, learning how to communicate in a decipherable fashion, child.

Jesus
08-15-2005, 06:04 AM
as soon as "Spare Me The Details" was released, I knew that anything Dexter said in the past is basically a crock of shit.
They didn't release "Spare Me The Details" as a single unfortunately. That song had the most hit potential since it's so fucking catchy (together with lightning rod). If they would have done it, we might have had them tour a shitload more and people didn't need to travel hours to see them.
The song was just picked up by the radio in Australia (hence it only being on your Greatest Hits version), I have yet to see an official single version of it. Only seen the radio promo.

So, I wish they actually had released it internationally as a single (based on the radio succes of the song in Australia).

You're an idiot or a closet conservative.
Besides, Green Day performed like 5 times this year within a radius of 170 kilometers (one hour and a half drive) of my home. Seen them 2 times this year, both times they were amazing. Simple Plan played 4 times in the same radius, but I don't care about them. And Offspring? None, have to drive 2 and a half hours for it (and probably will too).

Just take a look at the audience members in the different shows on that disc: Americana tour demographic compared to now, with the Smash to Splinter/Maximum Carnage stuff. They've gone downhill in terms of quality, take a look at who turns up to their shows these days. ;)
These days? Mostly older people (16+ and a bunch of 30+'s). During Ixnay, Americana and CO1 it were mostly 13-18 year olds since they were popular back then, now they are not and thus most kids stay away (except older people who have seen'm before and want to see them again). Atleast that is the case here.

Smash to Splinter was recorded during the day in England, Maximum Carnage in the evening in the US (It was a Zebrahead show too IIRC). And I don't know the HOB's minimum age limits.

Little_Miss_1565
08-15-2005, 06:43 AM
It most definitely *is* condescending. Just no based on how long I've been posting here. In one form or another, I've been reading (mostly lurking, not posting) on the Offspring boards since about Americana-era, not that it's relevant. You seem to think it is.

Rather, I was answering your assertion that you had been around here for awhile, which seemed to be relevant to you.

I really don't understand how or why you think that 13 year olds are only now becoming a part of the Offspring's fan base. They've appealed to kids for a very long time. Look at the birthdays every day on the forum main page--it's a young crowd here. Just because someone is young doesn't mean they have anything less to contribute.

Bullshit
08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
i have no idea...

Venom Symbiote
08-17-2005, 04:31 AM
QUOTE:
"I really don't understand how or why you think that 13 year olds are only now becoming a part of the Offspring's fan base."

They're not. Like I said, I was 11 when I got into The Offspring. Fact is, 13 year olds are a lot different than they used to be. As you would probably notice, the people around our age on these boards don't type in the whole "lol omg lolz" AOL-language for the most part. The people that do, basically that in itself, requires a good beating. It's truly representative of the intelligence of these people: can these fans honestly even comprehend the complexity of some of the songs like "Change the World", "Conspiracy of One", or "Blackball?" I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "no". They're perfectly content bopping to the "Want You Bads" and "Worst Hangover Evers" of the Offspring library. Myself, at that age if I didn't unserstand something I found out. I thirsted to understand these deeper themes, and did something about it. People who were 13 the good part of a decade ago became fans of Offspring music, not "Hit That". "Hit That" is not representative of The Offspring. "All I Want", or "Self Esteem" as another example, are. Basically, as Dexter and the guys start making music for their kid's generation, of course they'll draw in the fans. Thing is, when I was 11 in '97, I was one of the younger/youngEST ones. I don't think an 11 year old Offspring fan would be that uncommon anymore.

That's all I'm really getting at. Nothing more malicious than that. And it's not just market exposure that's creating this, it's a conscious shift in musicianship on the band's part. The music these days is a LOT more generic, to cater to a new, music-video oriented mobile phone-reliant generation of idiots. In the matter of 6 or 7 years, there has been a generation gap rear its ugly head among western children, and I'm just glad I'm slightly on the border of the older one. I just missed out by a year or two on being part of "The Britney and Nelly" age group. And for that I'm damn proud. I know it sounds elitist and all, but what I say I think most of you will agree with, no matter how blunt or arsehole-ish I may seem.

QUOTE:
"now they are not and thus most kids stay away (except older people who have seen'm before and want to see them again). Atleast that is the case here."

Yep, well, not here. ;)

QUOTE:
"You're an idiot or a closet conservative."

Thanks. 'Cause you're so mature and open-minded yourself. :rolleyes:

I'm no conservative - just not a liberal extremist, hell-bent on a Greenpeace government run by friggin' gorillas or sperm whales or something.

QUOTE:
"They didn't release "Spare Me The Details" as a single unfortunately. That song had the most hit potential since it's so fucking catchy (together with lightning rod). If they would have done it, we might have had them tour a shitload more and people didn't need to travel hours to see them.
The song was just picked up by the radio in Australia (hence it only being on your Greatest Hits version), I have yet to see an official single version of it. Only seen the radio promo."

It wasn't an official single, no. But I know in Australia and New Zealand, yeah, like you said, it's been getting played here more than "Hit That" or "CGMHAY" ever were. And it might be catchy, but that doesn't change the fact it's a load of horse-shit. Not to mention a stark reminder and a perfect example of how much The Offspring have changed in the last 7 years.

Dragnet
08-17-2005, 06:54 AM

I can't understand this way of thinking. They made good money until Americana without all that crap. I remember one quote from Smash era where Dexter said that MTV wanted an interview, but they just didn't do it because they don't give a fuck.
They wouldn't be poor if they kept true to themselves, either. Hell, they'd still be rich asses but I wouldn't mind because they made their damn bucks with cool music.
With the greatest hits they hit the rock bottom in my eyes.
Just look at the completely loveless booklet. Black with lyrics. Great!
The Greatest Hits bonus DVD took them like 30 minutes to make.

How can one say "They are going for the money, so would I"
I'm pretty sure The Offspring started as a band with ideals or at least with a different, more scaptical look on music industry. Now they just let it all go down, just to make sure to keep a minimum of record sales.

How can Dexter say, he wrote Long Way Home to make it sound like an Ignition song???? Why doesn't he just start writing music again that really touches him. His way of writing songs must be really strange.

Sinister
08-17-2005, 07:00 AM
my opinion is, when you have an opportunity do earn tons of cash it might kinda make you change just to get that money. thats what happened to Offspring. but they're still great, even though they've changed. as it's been pointed out many times, evolution is a very important part of the music-making business.

Venom Symbiote
08-17-2005, 07:15 AM
My argument isn't anything to do with money. I couldn't care less about that, and I'm pretty sure they're making a lot less these days than with, say, Americana. I don't care about the financial aspect.

I don't think they're "sellouts".

I merely think they've changed. If you like that change, fine. If not, then you're like me: just feeling a little disenfranchised and abandoned. The Offspring'll always be my favourite band, but because they're the guys who released Ignition and Ixnay on the Hombre all those years ago, not because of who they are now. I barely even listen to them anymore, I'm just here out of blind loyalty for yesteryear. As retarded as that may seem.

The Offspring used to be a part of WHO I AM. Just can't say much for that anymore, with Noodle's attitude being one prime example. But just one.

platinumpt
08-17-2005, 07:24 AM
... I'm an old school fan like you too ^ let me state my opinion:

They've changed, but who hasn't, in real life? Are you the same you were 10 years ago? Of course not. They're not the same too. It's the natural course of life, why blame them, and keep crying saying that your favorites are ignition or ixnay... I love those albuns a lot too, but I also love their new material, they're growing up, and their songs reflect their very own state of mind... so if you're not happy about that, don't keep listening to them (or at least ignore their new songs)... that's my advice...

Dragnet
08-17-2005, 07:31 AM
The Offspring used to be a part of WHO I AM

That goes for met too. And I'm not saying they're only in it for the money nowadays.

But their musical "evolution" hast got nothing to do with the extension of their abilities. It's just an attempt to keep up their chartappeal. It's like a forced evolution. There would have never been an Original Prankster if Pretty Fly would have sucked on the market.
I can understand them however, because it's hard for a punk band, which has become famous, to make everything right. I saw them live last year and I loved it, despite all my rather negative comments.

I guess it's right that everyone (or at least most Offpsring fans) feel attracted to a special Offspring-"era". For me it's definitely their pre-Americana time. Of course there were still great songs afterwards but the albums (and the band in general) got a completely different vibe to it I can hardly relate to. And I guess it got nothing to do with the label or the money
but the bands attitude towards music and their fans.

Venom Symbiote
08-17-2005, 07:41 AM
QUOTE:
(or at least ignore their new songs)

Pretty-much do. ;)

And as for Dragnet, I like your point there. The Offspring haven't really "evolved" musically: they took a chance with "Pretty Fly", and have been re-hashing that with the first single of both albums since.

The "goofball" thing was always there (I'm looking at "Beheaded", "What Happened To You?", "Bad Habit", and most of Ixnay here), but it was never commodified into the band's most outer and visible quality.

Compare radio announcers now, introducing them as "everyone's favourite punk Original Pranksters!" or "America's favourite silly band!". Would Smash or Ixnay have evoked such descriptions?

Surely not. They're a novelty band these days in the public eyes. That's not a label entirely warranted, but there's most definitely some truth to it.

Personally, I can't ever see them putting something like "Gone Away" out as a single ever again. It'll be more catchy pop-trite and neo-alternative "CGMHAY" tracks seeing videos in the foreseeable future. A shame, to say the least.

platinumpt
08-17-2005, 07:42 AM
That goes for met too. And I'm not saying they're only in it for the money nowadays.

But their musical "evolution" hast got nothing to do with the extension of their abilities. It's just an attempt to keep up their chartappeal. It's like a forced evolution. There would have never been an Original Prankster if Pretty Fly would have sucked on the market.
I can understand them however, because it's hard for a punk band, which has become famous, to make everything right. I saw them live last year and I loved it, despite all my rather negative comments.

I guess it's right that everyone (or at least most Offpsring fans) feel attracted to a special Offspring-"era". For me it's definitely their pre-Americana time. Of course there were still great songs afterwards but the albums (and the band in general) got a completely different vibe to it I can hardly relate to. And I guess it got nothing to do with the label or the money
but the bands attitude towards music and their fans.
I see what you both mean ^ and ^^^. Anyway, I listen to them for 11 years, I felt their evolution, but I'm happy with it. I've already seen them live 3 times, and I'll see the 4th in September. But I'll tell you, if I didn't like their new sound, I wouldn't listen to them.

moshmite
08-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Who Dexter...
imangine tho....if he was
That would be so cool. A little monkey dude.

Dragnet
08-17-2005, 08:08 AM
they're growing up, and their songs reflect their very own state of mind...

I can't second that :D

Excuse me... if they are growing up, why does their music get more and more immature? In which way does Da Hui reflect anyones state of mind?
These songs have no substance!

Regarding the goofball thing. It's right it has always been there, but in such a classy way. They were far more twisted back then and not so labored funny if you know what i mean. For example What Happended To You is a fun song but the lyrics actually make sense! Bad Habit maybe be a nonsense song about some psycho driver but its wrapped in an asskicking punkrock smasher.

It's a good advice to ignore the songs I dont like. That's what I already do. But my question is not "Why did their music get worse?" but "What were they thinking?"

We'll probably never find out but I can't follow the people who say "they haven't changed". Can't Repeat is so FUCKING boring it makes me sick.
This song gives me nothing. I can't listen to it when i'm sad or when I'm happy. Listen and forget!

platinumpt
08-17-2005, 08:22 AM
We'll probably never find out but I can't follow the people who say "they haven't changed". Can't Repeat is so FUCKING boring it makes me sick. This song gives me nothing. I can't listen to it when i'm sad or when I'm happy. Listen and forget!
Argh now that hurts lol I like Can't Repeat, and I'm expecting a big comeback with their next album, let's see!

About another subject: you said many people say "They haven't changed". I'm not one of those who say that, believe me, I agree with you, they HAVE changed. Some of us don't relate to that change... but actually I do, I still love their new albuns.. at least CO1... I admit Splinter is my least favorite, it has a few songs in it that I just refuse to listen. But it also has songs that are really beautiful and meaningful, like The Noose (in some way, it reminds me of We Are One) and Long Way Home.

Da Hui is just a goofy song, of course it doesn't reflect any state of mind lol! And I agree 100% what you said about Bad Habit, you're inspired, definitely:D

Well, not much of a conclusion here, but the importance of a forum is to discuss points of view:)

Marit
08-17-2005, 08:27 AM
I merely think they've changed. If you like that change, fine. If not, then you're like me: just feeling a little disenfranchised and abandoned. The Offspring'll always be my favourite band, but because they're the guys who released Ignition and Ixnay on the Hombre all those years ago, not because of who they are now. I barely even listen to them anymore, I'm just here out of blind loyalty for yesteryear. As retarded as that may seem.

I pretty much agree with you on this, except the "The Offspring'll always be my favourite band" part. The Offspring ceased to be by favourite band about 3,5 years ago, and now I wouldn't even put them on my top ten list. I still love their 5 first records though, but I don't think I'll ever buy their Greatest Hits, and I actually regret buying Splinter (so many other albums that I actually like that I could've bought instead).

LLadnard
08-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Everything discussed in this thread makes a lot of sense. It's also important to take the good with the bad. Of course there are going to be reasons to hate them or whatever else, but there is also reason to like them, it's whatever attracted you to the band anyway.
I agree that the 'Forced Musical Evolution' has changed them a great deal, for reasons I hate and love, as I mentioned previously, but it's still true that you can't always suck up to the band just because you're a fan and agree with everything they do.

leavesonline
08-17-2005, 11:03 PM
You know, looking at the post everyone seems to have a pretty strong opinion on whether they like the changes in music direction, but let's face it - if they didn't change direction once in a while we'd have all died of boredom. Isn't it better to have the odd naff up rather than 50 versions of Ignition?!

LLadnard
08-17-2005, 11:30 PM
You know, looking at the post everyone seems to have a pretty strong opinion on whether they like the changes in music direction, but let's face it - if they didn't change direction once in a while we'd have all died of boredom. Isn't it better to have the odd naff up rather than 50 versions of Ignition?!

That's one of the points that I was trying to get at.

platinumpt
08-18-2005, 02:43 AM
To be honest, what I think is, again, if a person is unhappy for some reason about them, then stop listening to their music. There's no need to waste your valuable time coming into the GENERAL OFFSPRING DISCUSSION complaining and crying about how Offspring used to be *your* favorite band a few years ago, but now it isn't even on the topten or toptwenty or topwhatever list. And if *someone* regrets buying whichever album, why not try to sell it? The solution seems simple.

Anyway, it must be an orgasmic pleasure to come to this forum just to diss The Offspring, because I see a few people doing that all the time. It just seems to me like a huge waste of time. To those people, my advice is: just leave GENERAL OFFSPRING DISCUSSION, because you don't even like the band that much, and by doing that, you're doing to yourself and to the others that read your posts a huge favour, and try the GENERAL CHAT, or OTHER BANDS, instead. Or just ignore this, keep acting the way you do, and go fuck yourselves. I'm not refering to any poster in particular, by the way.

Dragnet
08-18-2005, 02:55 AM
I really think the General Offspring Discussion would suck if there wasn't the slightest sign of controversity.

Imagine everyone who posts here would say how much they love Offspring and nothing else?

And most of the people who criticize them don't hate them. They just feel the need to WAKE UP YOU SUCKERS!!!!!!! ;)

Just kidding. All i'm trying to say is that this would be a pretty boring place if everyone would agree with each other?

Don't you agree with me? :eek:

platinumpt
08-18-2005, 02:57 AM
I really think the General Offspring Discussion would suck if there wasn't the slightest sign of controversity.

Imagine everyone who posts here would say how much they love Offspring and nothing else?

And most of the people who criticize them don't hate them. They just feel the need to WAKE UP YOU SUCKERS!!!!!!! ;)

Just kidding. All i'm trying to say is that this would be a pretty boring place if everyone would agree with each other?

Don't you agree with me? :eek:
Yeah yeah, you're right too, but some guys and girls just keep complaining & crying, and look like a bunch of frustated idiots...

Marit
08-18-2005, 04:08 AM
Whatever.
I reserve the right to think of myself as a fan, and yet deprecate.
And about the selling of depreciated albums, that *someone* just might do that.

platinumpt
08-18-2005, 05:12 AM
And about the selling of depreciated albums, that *someone* just might do that.
Whoa, not much of a fan then, but at least you recover some of your money...

Amazed
08-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I pretty much agree with you on this, except the "The Offspring'll always be my favourite band" part. The Offspring ceased to be by favourite band about 3,5 years ago, and now I wouldn't even put them on my top ten list. I still love their 5 first records though, but I don't think I'll ever buy their Greatest Hits, and I actually regret buying Splinter (so many other albums that I actually like that I could've bought instead).

I have to ask you something: What the fuck is wrong with Splinter!? I think it's a great album. I don't listen to it very often anymore, but that's not because it's a bad album, but because I've overplayed it. I loved that album so fucking much! It got me into The Offspring. I love their new and old stuff, and I'm so tired of people complaining about that they've changed. "I think they were better before, 'cause they're too poppy nowadays. But they're still my favourite band." FUCK YOU! You obviously don't like them that much if you're always complaining about how much better and more "punk" they were 10-15 years ago.

Since this was a little bit off topic I might add that I don't think they're "sell-outs".

Homer
08-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I don't see a problem with Splinter either. In fact, it's one of my favorite albums. I don't defend The Offspring just because I'm a fan. Fuck no. I defend them because I LOVE THEIR MUSIC. THIS is the band that I go into. Why the fuck would I question what they put out? I know what to expect from them, and that's why I defend them. I defend them because people come on here and "wah, I was expecting another Ixnay, but they came out with Americana." Well fuck. I feel so bad for you.

This is also what Can't Repeat is talking about. "This song has no meaning" (bunch of shit, try harder). Of course it has meaning, it talks about change and evolution, not being able to go back and REPEAT what you did before. It also talks about facing the facts that they're not going to do an album twice (such as the same feel twice). Don't call yourself a fan and then bitch about them.

ichoose90
08-18-2005, 06:25 PM
^ Well said.

platinumpt
08-19-2005, 01:46 AM
I have to ask you something: What the fuck is wrong with Splinter!? I think it's a great album. I don't listen to it very often anymore, but that's not because it's a bad album, but because I've overplayed it. I loved that album so fucking much! It got me into The Offspring. I love their new and old stuff, and I'm so tired of people complaining about that they've changed. "I think they were better before, 'cause they're too poppy nowadays. But they're still my favourite band." FUCK YOU! You obviously don't like them that much if you're always complaining about how much better and more "punk" they were 10-15 years ago.

Since this was a little bit off topic I might add that I don't think they're "sell-outs".
Yes, I see your point of view and I understand every single word of what you're saying. All that I can think of to say about that is there are people here who whine a lot, we must get used to it ;)

Actually Splinter has a few songs that I really love! I'll never forget songs like Long Way Home, The Noose and CGMHAY. But in the overall, it's my least favorite... but I wouldn't sell the album for nothing. Never in my life. Not even if I get addicted to drugs hehe... as I'm a fan, like most of the people here (I hope).

Amazed
08-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Yes, I see your point of view and I understand every single word of what you're saying. All that I can think of to say about that is there are people here who whine a lot, we must get used to it ;)

Actually Splinter has a few songs that I really love! I'll never forget songs like Long Way Home, The Noose and CGMHAY. But in the overall, it's my least favorite... but I wouldn't sell the album for nothing. Never in my life. Not even if I get addicted to drugs hehe... as I'm a fan, like most of the people here (I hope).

Woohoo :) Yeah, I guess we have to get used to the fact that people complain a lot on these boards. And I think Splinter is my least favourite album too, but I love it.

platinumpt
08-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Woohoo :) Yeah, I guess we have to get used to the fact that people complain a lot on these boards. And I think Splinter is my least favourite album too, but I love it.
Yeah, like I said it's my least favorite, but of course I love it!! One album has to be the least favorite right? Which doesn't mean necessarily that we don't like the album! ;)

Amazed
08-19-2005, 05:02 AM
Yeah, like I said it's my least favorite, but of course I love it!! One album has to be the least favorite right? Which doesn't mean necessarily that we don't like the album! ;)

Exactly ;)