PDA

View Full Version : How Far Is Too Far (regarding body modification)

ThrashedThrasher
08-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I never thought I'd bring this up but I got in an arguement with a friend (he's not in tune with the body mod culture mind you) about my piercings and future plans for tattoos.

Current Piercings: 12 Over The Past 2 Years

Right Ear Lobe X5 † 4G,8G,6G,10G,4G

Left Ear Lobe X3 † 4G,8G,6G

Right Ear Cartiledge † 14G

Right Eyebrow X2 † 14G,14G

Left Nostril † 14G

Future Piercings: 16 More Sometime Within The Next 3 Years

Right Eyebrow X4 † 14G

Right Nostril † 18G

Lip X2 † 14G

Horizontal Lip † 18G

Cheeks X2 (2 on each cheek) † 14G

Labret † 10G

Vertical Labret † 14G

Tongue (Surface) † 14G

Left Cartiledge Industrial † 14G

Future Tattoos: The Number Is Unknown…So far these are the ones I want the most…

Right Arm † Full Tribal Sleeve (As I am Native American). It will be black, but it will be outlined in my tribal colors (red and turquoise-ish).

Left Arm † Full Sleeve. I want this to basically be a bunch of different sayings that wrap around my whole arm. Some of the things it will say are "What About Tomorrow? Fuck Tomorrow" , "Yesterday Laughs, Tomorrow Cries" , "Forget About Tomorrow, Today's The Day" , "It's Just Another Day" , and "Just When I Get It Right, Another Day Goes By."

Right & Left Calves † I want the Dope tribal logo on both of my calves with a Dope style illustration of Racci Shay and Edsel Dope blended inside the logo.

Full Back Piece † I've been thinking about this for quite awhile and I've come to the conclusion that I would like my back piece to be something very special to me. So, it will be. Across my shoulder blades it's going to say "This Is Life..." and the rest of my back will be covered in various tattoos (pieced together of course, probably in a way that looks like they're sewn together) that depict such things as love,hate,life,death,pain,happiness,sorrow,anger,e tc. which are things that we as humans have to go through everyday. This idea was actually inspired by the band Dope's song "Take Your Best Shot" which starts out as "This is life..."

Now the last time I asked people this on another board they went off on me about the fact that I'm only 14, why am I deciding to do such things now? I'll tell you right now why that is. I've been around body modification my whole life, both of my parents have numerous tattoos just like many other family members. I grew up with one of my cousins who now has 43 piercings and his whole upper body is covered in tats (up to his chin). Since my parents encourage my liking for body modification they are allowing me to do these things. My mom is happily paying for my first tattoo when I'm 18 , hell my parents are even coming with me to get the damn thing done.

Other people think I'm doing this for attention, well to correct them right now I'm not. I , just like many other people do this for the experience of it all and the beauty. I would like to get suspended suicide style when I'm 18 as well for a simple reason, it'll be my memorable moment of hitting adulthood and such and such. I've thought about my choices for a very long time and my tattoo choices are very special to me and my piercings are another form of beauty. Sure I'll look like a scrap metal display (I do already) but at least I can say I did what I wanted to do with myself.

So, is this too excessive for the minds of common man? Is this really still considered a Taboo in American culture? I think not but I want to know what you think...

Edit ** I am planning on stretching my ears to around 12/16ths.

Rag Doll
08-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, I think you know my opinions on mods (we've had so many conversations on them)...but lets see.

Ok, not to bust your age, cause I seriously think you're awesome and a total doll and insanely mature....but, think about what you want in the future. I got my first tattoo when I was 16. It's on my leg, and it's the kanji symbol for love. I love it and it means a lot to me, but back then I was planning on going in to teaching. Now, I'm going to law school. It's so ultra-conservative for the most part, that I have to be very careful in clothing choices forever now. And just wearing pants to an interview can cost me the job. I know it doesn't seem like something to think of now, but in the future, all of this could really hurt you. My friend went nuts this past year and got like 6 tattoos....including 2 that take up her both her legs from knee to ankle, and one on each lower arm (huge ones). Now, she doesn't know what to do, since she wants to go back to college and get a professional job.

Although mods are becoming more accepted, they're still not that mainstream. I was watching some call-in show a few weeks ago, and people were talking about tattoos and piercings. Almost every single person that called was saying they have lower opinions of people with such mods. They see them as trashy, shady, poor, unintelligent, etc. And I live in a fairly liberal state (the call ins were all from NJ). You totally have to be sure you want it all. I personally think you're going too far, and this is coming from someone with 15 piercings and 2 tattoos, with more of both on the way. It's definitely still taboo.

My friend and I were in a crafts store buying supplies (she's an art student) and she got the dirtiest looks...and she didn't even have that many visible mods. She had a bunch of ear piercings (industrial, rook, tragus, 6 gauge lobes, cart, etc), a nose stud, a small eyebrow ring, and 3 lip studs. And you could see part of her chest tattoo (a skull in a spiderweb). That's nowhere near what you're planning on having, and she gets dirty looks or rude remarks no matter where she is....from the mall to going to dinner to school. People are VERY close-minded when it comes to those things. I don't think they'll ever be totally accepted....at least, not for a very long time. I mean, if that's what you want, go for it. But you definitely need to be prepared for the consequences of it. And there are A LOT. Hell, people wouldn't let their kids come to my house when I was little cause my dad has a lot of tattoos and piercings.

edit* sorry if i made no sense. i'm a little sleepies and i tend to get repetitive.

ThrashedThrasher
08-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I know what you mean about employment and my mods becoming a problem. I'm planning to go into auto mechanics so I'll be running around in a jump suit as it is but I will have to do something about the piercings, which is fine with me I'm quite used to having to take them out or letting them heal up.

I know of the shit I'm going to have to deal with once I get into getting tattoos and all that, I get enough looks and glares with the little that I have as it is. My mom basically told me when I got my 1st eyebrow piercing that if I wanted to do this shit that I had to be willing to put up with the bull other people throw at me, which I do.

Rag Doll
08-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, automechanics may not be a big problem. Your boss may feel otherwise, though.

And, I'm sure you're used to some glares and all....but you asked if we thought it was accepted. And I don't think it is. Not for the most part, anyways. And I think with the amount you want done, it'll be even less accepted by most.

Sunny
08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Well... objectively speaking, I don't think there's such a thing as going too far, AS LONG as it doesn't threaten your health or become an obsession or a way of dealing with problems.

Personally, however, I think it's a little much, but it's a matter of aesthetics... and, therefore, it's very subjective. For example, I would not modify my face to that extent (or, at all..), but that's my personal preference.

As Rag Doll said, people are still very uptight when it comes to body modifications, and you might face some negative reactions/prejudice. While I'm sure you thought a lot about this, you might want to consider your future occupation and the expectations that come with it. Most of the time, unfortunately, tattoos and other mods can get in the way of you getting the job you want. I'm going to be looking for jobs in the design field, which is fairly open-minded when it comes to appearances... but I'll have to wear something that entirely conceals my back tattoo.

Sunny
08-11-2005, 10:51 PM
bah i responded before i saw your reply..

Nina
08-11-2005, 11:01 PM
i agree with what Rag Doll/Sunny said, so i wont repeat any of it.

another thing i should maybe point out is the way you might feel about YOURSELF after you've done all of this. nobody else can tell you how accepting it is for *you* to have so many piercings/tattooes. you should think about this for a very, very, very long time and figure out whether you will get tired of anything when you get older (mainly speaking of the tattooes, of course). because after all there are a lot of people who generally get tired of things easily...thats a part of their personality, and maybe you are that type of person yourself, or you could become such a person (in thirty years?). i know you said that right at the beginning, but that cant stop me from bringing it up as an argument: you *are* still young, dear, and you are still about to fully develope your persona. are you entirely sure that you will always love your tattooes? as i said, its up to you, and my personal opinion is that as long as you are okay with it, it is not "too much". but i think that you'd need to be certain that you wont hate your tattooes. i've heard of enough people who got their tattooes with 15-18 and are now in their mid 20s and HATE them.
i for one always think of such things when i see a person with a fairly big tattoo. maybe i am just as prejudiced as the rest, but i sometimes kind of "worry" about the way things will turn out when the person gets older. i'm certain that i'm not the only person to think this way.

edit: sorry - i didnt really speak on topic, but i wanted to get rid of my thoughts anyway.

Sunny
08-11-2005, 11:04 PM
but i think that you'd need to be certain that you wont hate your tattooes. i've heard of enough people who got their tattooes with 15-18 and are now in their mid 20s and HATE them.

this reminds me of a friend of mine who was saving up for a motorcycle.. and then changed his mind and spent the entire amount on getting tattooed from head (well, chin) to toe. that was 4 years ago.

now he's saving up for tattoo removal surgery. >_<

Nina
08-11-2005, 11:07 PM
oh...my....god.
doesnt getting one tiny little tattoo removed already hurt like the fucking devil? ;(

Rag Doll
08-11-2005, 11:07 PM
tattoo removal is not only more painful (it usually takes many sessions on the same area to get it removed, and even then it's not great), but it's way more expensive.

Sunny
08-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Exactly... and from what I've seen/heard, the tattoo is never really *gone*... you can still see sort of a shadow or a *ghost* of it.

which would mean my friend will have to live his life with a slight blue-ish tint to his entire body.

the thought of the pain makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Rag Doll
08-11-2005, 11:12 PM
yeah, sometimes you can still see some kind of discoloration...or a scar. not fun.

i'm fine with the pain, but the thought of that makes me think *ouch*...which is big for me =\

Aimeht
08-12-2005, 03:44 AM
I don't know if I think anything is to much really, because I don't really care what other people do. But if it would be anything, it would be 'the cat man', the man wanting to be a cat.

Vera
08-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Guidelines to tattoos my cousin introduced to me (I don't have any myself but if I do, I'll follow these):

1. Put it on a place easy to cover - with clothes and/or make-up.
2. Something personal that you will want to keep a part of you forever. Something symbolic preferrably - not the logo of your current favourite band.
3. Small/simplistic.

RXP
08-12-2005, 05:26 AM
You know my views ThrashedThrash. I think the human body esp. the female sort looks fine natural. A girl at work has some tiny tiny pearchings in her nose and tongue. I find myself liking them for the first time ever. But hey what ever makes you happy.

JoY
08-12-2005, 05:33 AM
I agree with Samantha for most part. there's not much more I can add to it.

the_GoDdEsS
08-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Piercings, tattoos, scars, brandings and whatever can look awesome. How much you have is a question of personal taste. I'd say amputation of some sort is too far. Some people do even that.

arak0r
08-12-2005, 08:37 AM
why dont you just get a fucking suit of armor ffs :| seems like thats what youre aiming for

Kitten
08-12-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't see a problem with body modification, But facial piercing have got to be simple or balanced in my opinion. However, I have only an eyebrow piercing have have been told twice now that I would have to remove it for certain types of work, and I have only had it for 2 months.

defy me
08-12-2005, 08:54 AM
i had my lip done early this year. I also have my ear lobs done and the top of my ear and im 13. But i dont think i want anymore. Maybe a tatoo? I dont really know

ThrashedThrasher
08-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Guidelines to tattoos my cousin introduced to me (I don't have any myself but if I do, I'll follow these):

1. Put it on a place easy to cover - with clothes and/or make-up.
2. Something personal that you will want to keep a part of you forever. Something symbolic preferrably - not the logo of your current favourite band.
3. Small/simplistic.

That makes the point in having a tattoo pointless. Making some small and simplistic is a waste of money and ink. As for the logo thing, if any of you have seen the Dope tribal logo, it's universal whether I add into it or not doesn't really matter, it's still tribal therefore it will match up with my right arm. My right arm will symbolize the fact that I am native, and proud to be native. Putting it on an easy to cover area also defeats the purpose, I'm not going to waste time, money , and pain for something that only I'm going to know about.

This is the Dope tribal logo (it's on the arm that has the mic) http://www.edseldope.com/images/individual/edsel/edsel034.jpg

Mota Boy
08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
That makes the point in having a tattoo pointless. Making some small and simplistic is a waste of money and ink... Putting it on an easy to cover area also defeats the purpose, I'm not going to waste time, money, and pain for something that only I'm going to know about.
Are you talking about this in regard to yourself or in regard to tattoos in general? It would be painfully ironic to see you talk about dealing with the shit that people give you about body mods, then saying that there's a right and a wrong way to get a tattoo.

And also, I can't think of any friends off the top of my head that are still preparing for the same jobs in their late teens/early twenties that they planned on having at fourteen. Personally, I'd wait until I was in my mid-twenties to get a large visible tattoo. No matter how certain you are of yourself and your future at this point in your life, your plans are always subject to change. I think that the risk of complicating the rest of your life outweighs the reward of having the tattoos you want half a decade sooner.

Of course, you have four more years to think this out for yourself.

Sunny
08-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Putting it on an easy to cover area also defeats the purpose, I'm not going to waste time, money , and pain for something that only I'm going to know about.

that's an interesting way of looking at it... my stomach tattoo is covered 90% of the time, yet I don't consider it a waste of money/ink/whatever. I don't need other people's attention to validate its existence. It's meaningful and special to me... even though not many people know I have it. In fact, I prefer it that way.
and funnily enough, i don't really like exposing my back tattoo either. i lovelovelove it and it's the most beautiful thing ever (to me), and i'm not ashamed of it.... but it gets me a ton of unwanted attention. blah. i got my tattoos for myself, not for other people to stare at. i mean, i don't get freaked out over it, because i knew it would happen... but i prefer my back covered/partially covered.

Linda
08-12-2005, 06:00 PM
TT, my guess is you'll be sorry when you reach, say, about 30 years of age.
As much is I hate to say it, and it really shouldn't matter, people are judged by things like that when job hunting. I've seen it happen to several people.

Just a Girl
08-12-2005, 06:00 PM
hmmm. if you're not doing it for attention, why is it a waste of time to get something small/simplistic that hardly anyone will see?

anyway, it's not too much if you are completely happy with it and can deal with shit from other people. and can afford it, of course.

Conspiracy of One
08-12-2005, 06:28 PM
All i want is to get one Tattoo over the course of my whole life :D

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
All i want is to get one Tattoo over the course of my whole life :D

Really? You should tattoo a stick, 'cause you're very skinny.

Apathy
08-12-2005, 07:22 PM
I never thought I'd bring this up but I got in an arguement with a friend (he's not in tune with the body mod culture mind you) about my piercings and future plans for tattoos.

Current Piercings: 12 Over The Past 2 Years

Right Ear Lobe X5 † 4G,8G,6G,10G,4G

Left Ear Lobe X3 † 4G,8G,6G

Right Ear Cartiledge † 14G

Right Eyebrow X2 † 14G,14G

Left Nostril † 14G

Future Piercings: 16 More Sometime Within The Next 3 Years

Right Eyebrow X4 † 14G

Right Nostril † 18G

Lip X2 † 14G

Horizontal Lip † 18G

Cheeks X2 (2 on each cheek) † 14G

Labret † 10G

Vertical Labret † 14G

Tongue (Surface) † 14G

Left Cartiledge Industrial † 14G

Future Tattoos: The Number Is Unknown…So far these are the ones I want the most…

Right Arm † Full Tribal Sleeve (As I am Native American). It will be black, but it will be outlined in my tribal colors (red and turquoise-ish).

Left Arm † Full Sleeve. I want this to basically be a bunch of different sayings that wrap around my whole arm. Some of the things it will say are "What About Tomorrow? Fuck Tomorrow" , "Yesterday Laughs, Tomorrow Cries" , "Forget About Tomorrow, Today's The Day" , "It's Just Another Day" , and "Just When I Get It Right, Another Day Goes By."

Right & Left Calves † I want the Dope tribal logo on both of my calves with a Dope style illustration of Racci Shay and Edsel Dope blended inside the logo.

Full Back Piece † I've been thinking about this for quite awhile and I've come to the conclusion that I would like my back piece to be something very special to me. So, it will be. Across my shoulder blades it's going to say "This Is Life..." and the rest of my back will be covered in various tattoos (pieced together of course, probably in a way that looks like they're sewn together) that depict such things as love,hate,life,death,pain,happiness,sorrow,anger,e tc. which are things that we as humans have to go through everyday. This idea was actually inspired by the band Dope's song "Take Your Best Shot" which starts out as "This is life..."

Now the last time I asked people this on another board they went off on me about the fact that I'm only 14, why am I deciding to do such things now? I'll tell you right now why that is. I've been around body modification my whole life, both of my parents have numerous tattoos just like many other family members. I grew up with one of my cousins who now has 43 piercings and his whole upper body is covered in tats (up to his chin). Since my parents encourage my liking for body modification they are allowing me to do these things. My mom is happily paying for my first tattoo when I'm 18 , hell my parents are even coming with me to get the damn thing done.

Other people think I'm doing this for attention, well to correct them right now I'm not. I , just like many other people do this for the experience of it all and the beauty. I would like to get suspended suicide style when I'm 18 as well for a simple reason, it'll be my memorable moment of hitting adulthood and such and such. I've thought about my choices for a very long time and my tattoo choices are very special to me and my piercings are another form of beauty. Sure I'll look like a scrap metal display (I do already) but at least I can say I did what I wanted to do with myself.

So, is this too excessive for the minds of common man? Is this really still considered a Taboo in American culture? I think not but I want to know what you think...

Edit ** I am planning on stretching my ears to around 12/16ths.

I don't mind tatoos, but I personally think piercings other than ears or lips are disgusting. it looks a little better if you're a girl, but I'm assuming you're a guy.

Edit: I read an article from the journal of medicine once, and it said that people with excessive body piercings 90% of the time led troubled and/or abusive childhoods. Not Implying anything, just stating what the article said.

Sunny
08-12-2005, 07:24 PM
TT is a girl.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-12-2005, 07:26 PM
TT is a girl.

Are you a guy, though?!

Sunny
08-12-2005, 07:28 PM
are you fucking stupid?

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-12-2005, 07:30 PM
are you fucking stupid?

Seriously, are you a guy? 'Cause you know...any guy could have an ugly girl sticking out her tounge as an avatar...

Conspiracy of One
08-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Dude look at her avatar! Shes a hot girl............errr *shifty eyes*

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Dude look at her avatar! Shes a hot girl............errr *shifty eyes*
I was joking, she's hot...

Conspiracy of One
08-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Nimrod In Town']I was joking, she's hot...
thats right! :D http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Conspiracyof1/GW_pointing_02.jpg

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
08-12-2005, 07:34 PM
thats right! :D http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Conspiracyof1/GW_pointing_02.jpg

i wouldn't . Not that i can, but even if i could. I won't, or will.

Rag Doll
08-12-2005, 08:15 PM
That makes the point in having a tattoo pointless. Making some small and simplistic is a waste of money and ink. Putting it on an easy to cover area also defeats the purpose, I'm not going to waste time, money , and pain for something that only I'm going to know about.

I totally disagree on this. My tattoos have meaning to *me*...i don't give a flying fuck if anyone else can see them. Very few people have seen the tattoo on my back, and that's fine with me.

Mentally_Challenged
08-13-2005, 04:47 AM
I think it's great that TT is prepared to have all this done with a giving a shit what other people have to say about it. Also, the fact that her parents are allowing her to do is a great thing - I have my ears pierced once and that's the end of it for my parents, or at least 'till i'm 16. Most parents are telling their kids NOT to get tattoos and piercings, because it looks 'tacky' or 'common.' I personally don't think this is right. Okay, so the only sort of tattoo I don't EVER think looks nice is the whole thing about having your kids/wife/ex-wife's name on your arm. Anything else doesn't bother me though.
I don't think it's right that parent's should tell their children whats tacky, common and wrong. It's up to the person getting the tattoo to decide what they think. As for piercings, i'm not too fussed. I don't have any problems with the people who have them, but I personally don't like the look of eyebrow piercings and belly piercings. Anyways...rant over =P

(O_O)

JoY
08-13-2005, 05:37 AM
no, most parents are telling their kids they can't get piercings/tattoos, because they don't want their kids to regret it later & they care. doh.

my mother forbid me to take earrings, when I was younger. she said I could have them, if I still wanted them at the age of thirteen, or fourteen. but guess what? at the age of thirteen I didn't want them anymore, because it seemed so unnatural to me to have holes in my body.

then, when I was sixteen, I started to consider it again. I thought about why I'd want earrings. I came to the conclusion I wanted to decorate my body, not because I was insecure about it, or anything, but just because I'd seen so many beautiful earrings I'd love to wear as an accessory. it was supposed to add something to my apperance. like a nice belt, or pretty shoes.

at the age of seventeen I was done considering & got them in Switzerland. even though I don't always wear earrings, I'm still glad I got those holes in my body. because whenever I feel like decorating my body, I -can-. & I feel like I've made a much more conscious choice/decision, because it was thought through & in a way more rational way, than I was able to at the age of twelve, or thirteen. I'm thankful my mom didn't let me have them before. these kind of permanent changes on your body shouldn't be taken lightly.

my parents would find it hideous if I took a second set of holes in my earlobes, but they wouldn't try to stop me, because it's up to me. but it totally wouldn't suit me & would give me an image that doesn't belong to me, so I won't. I've considered taking more piercings to decorate my body even more (labret piercing, lip piercing, more earrings & tiny tattoo), but I decided it was better if I just stayed as natural as possible. just myself. so I won't ever regret anything & won't be looked at as someone I know I'm not. & I can always change my mind & still take a tattoo, or more piercings. it's not like the option suddenly disappeared now. the more natural I stay now, the more options I still have lying in front of me for a time & place I really want it. but you can only make such a decision concerning body modifications once, so you better think it through & really, really want it for a good reason.

I've got friends with tattoos & piercings & personally I DO find it tacky most of the times. that doesn't make THEM tacky, though. they're still the same ol' people I love & appreciate. there's only one tattoo that I find amazingly beautiful & that's Sunny's wings.

rant over.

Rag Doll
08-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Okay, so the only sort of tattoo I don't EVER think looks nice is the whole thing about having your kids/wife/ex-wife's name on your arm. Anything else doesn't bother me though.

Why does that bother you? Just curious. My mom has my name & my dad's name in a design with a butterfly, and it looks beautiful.

Nina
08-13-2005, 05:43 AM
Samantha, i never knew! sounds beautiful though. =)

JoY
08-13-2005, 05:48 AM
that does sound extremely sweet. & you know, butterflies are CUTE. <3 =D

Vera
08-13-2005, 06:02 AM
That makes the point in having a tattoo pointless. Making some small and simplistic is a waste of money and ink. As for the logo thing, if any of you have seen the Dope tribal logo, it's universal whether I add into it or not doesn't really matter, it's still tribal therefore it will match up with my right arm. My right arm will symbolize the fact that I am native, and proud to be native. Putting it on an easy to cover area also defeats the purpose, I'm not going to waste time, money , and pain for something that only I'm going to know about.

Small and simplistic can be extremely beautiful to me. It might also catch the eye better than something HUGE and complicated. I once stood in line behind this girl with a medium-sized red&orange coloured tattoo that was probably symbolistic tattooed on her lower back. I stared at it when in line and then I complimented her on it, because it was really pretty and probably meant something special to her.

It's of course your body and your view of aesthetics but that's just it - tattooes aren't supposed to be tourist attractions, they're on your body and you're the one who's going to be looking at them the most. Getting something small but significant tattooed on a place only YOU can see is not a waste of time, money and pain because it's still on YOU and for YOU and that's why it's a personal thing and you can always show it if people ask if you have any tattoos.

An example of how a small tattoo can be significant and something you might want to stick with for the rest of your life: My cousin has a chihuahua that she's had for over 10 years. She's had this dog longer than any friend she's ever known so she got its paw print tattooed close to her hip.

I still you think you should reconsider and possibly wait until you're twenty or something. It's your body and your fuck-up, should you eventually start considering it a fuck up.

A lot of jobs really require you cover up your tats, should you have any, so just for that, it's good to put them in a place that's easy to hide with make-up or something. And it's better to be safe than sorry 20 years from now on when you miss a job opportunity just because someone looks down on your VERY much visible and possibly, (in their minds) ugly tattoo.

What Faded Soul said is a good guideline - Get a tattoo somewhere you can show it off but hide it, if necessary.

defy me
08-13-2005, 06:05 AM
my brother has my initals and my other brother and sisters around and flower thing. It sounds rubbish but it looks really nice.

JoY
08-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Small and simplistic can be extremely beautiful to me. It might also catch the eye better than something HUGE and complicated. I once stood in line behind this girl with a medium-sized red&orange coloured tattoo that was probably symbolistic tattooed on her lower back. I stared at it when in line and then I complimented her on it, because it was really pretty and probably meant something special to her.

It's of course your body and your view of aesthetics but that's just it - tattooes aren't supposed to be tourist attractions, they're on your body and you're the one who's going to be looking at them the most. Getting something small but significant tattooed on a place only YOU can see is not a waste of time, money and pain because it's still on YOU and for YOU and that's why it's a personal thing and you can always show it if people ask if you have any tattoos.

An example of how a small tattoo can be significant and something you might want to stick with for the rest of your life: My cousin has a chihuahua that she's had for over 10 years. She's had this dog longer than any friend she's ever known so she got its paw print tattooed close to her hip.

I still you think you should reconsider and possibly wait until you're twenty or something. It's your body and your fuck-up, should you eventually start considering it a fuck up.

A lot of jobs really require you cover up your tats, should you have any, so just for that, it's good to put them in a place that's easy to hide with make-up or something. And it's better to be safe than sorry 20 years from now on when you miss a job opportunity just because someone looks down on your VERY much visible and possibly, (in their minds) ugly tattoo.

What Faded Soul said is a good guideline - Get a tattoo somewhere you can show it off but hide it, if necessary.
I fully agree with you. FULLY.

my friend wanted to get a tattoo of a scorpion on some random spot on her back. dude! I asked her, while being in the tattoo-shop, picking out scorpions, what the fuck it meant to her. she said; "oh you know, it's just my sign & I want to get a tattoo." yeah. well. that sounds like a really fucking dumb reason to get a tattoo if you ask me. then I said; "where do you wanna get it?" & she pointed at some totally random place on her back & said; "somewhere like.. here.. I think? I don't really know." I told her it'd be kind of.. weird to have a tattoo on a place on your body, where you can't even see it. I asked her; "for who are you taking this anyway? for you, or just a bunch of retards, that might find it 'omgz, t3h HAWT'?" she looked at me for a few seconds & then asked me where I'd place a tattoo. I showed her & that's now where she's got her tattoo. *shakes head* just... THINK it THROUGH, bimbo.

Mentally_Challenged
08-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Why does that bother you? Just curious. My mom has my name & my dad's name in a design with a butterfly, and it looks beautiful.

I don't mean to cause offence to anyone who has a tattoo like that. It's just that I see them so much round the area I live, and I just don't find them that attractive. I will say that i've never seen anyone with a tattoo like the one your mum has... I'm sure it IS beautiful. Im just terrified of butterflies though... :rolleyes:

defy me
08-13-2005, 06:56 AM
really my sister LOVES them alot. Its scary

Vera
08-13-2005, 07:15 AM
My friend who's been looking into this tattooing thing ever since she turned 18 told me that most tattoo artists won't tattoo girlfriend/boyfriend names. It's pretty understandable, seeing as what the divorce rates are these days.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-13-2005, 07:16 AM
The only name tattoos I will ever get, if I get any, will be of my kids. Because you can break up or get divorced, but your kids will never stop being your kids.

And I'm only ever gonna get 3 tattoos at most - the family crest and a bass clef, and possibly my kids names if ever I have any.

defy me
08-13-2005, 07:29 AM
The only name tattoos I will ever get, if I get any, will be of my kids. Because you can break up or get divorced, but your kids will never stop being your kids.

And I'm only ever gonna get 3 tattoos at most - the family crest and a bass clef, and possibly my kids names if ever I have any.

unless your kids divorce you

JoY
08-13-2005, 07:34 AM
I'd take something incredibly lame & everyone will laugh & point at me for it.

I'd take a tiny, tiny bright pink heart with a slightly different lining. either red, or darker pink. & it'd be either on my lower tummy (no, not -there-), or on the left bone, you know.. that is right under your waisteline & together with the right one goes like this; \.../.

yeah, sorry, I don't feel like looking up what you'd normally call the spina iliaca anterior superior.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-13-2005, 07:37 AM
The hip bone. I think.

JoY
08-13-2005, 07:50 AM
that makes sense. yeah.

lolz, picture;
http://homegrownmusic.net/images/hip1.gif
pretty arty.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-13-2005, 07:55 AM
I can't hear the words "hip bone" without hearing "the thigh bone's connected to the.."

JoY
08-13-2005, 07:57 AM
haha, dude.. I couldn't even think of the word "hipbone". but I COULD think of "spina iliaca anterior superior". I am damaged, man. I'm scarred by medicine for the rest of my life!

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-13-2005, 08:00 AM
"The thigh bone's connected to the.. spina iliaca anterior superior."

Doesn't work quite as well.

JoY
08-13-2005, 08:06 AM
just imagine what happens when I quit medicine. then I will sound like a complete jerk, when it comes to body-part-talk, because I honestly don't know a lot of regular names. like "clavicula".. oh no, wait. I do know that one. that's just the keybone, or at least, that's what it's called in Dutch.

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-13-2005, 08:09 AM
I haven't got a clue what that is.

Sin Studly
08-13-2005, 08:26 AM
"Claviclula" is the hollow in your throat, and I think the chambers of the heart are called clavicles.

I think

JoY
08-13-2005, 08:31 AM
this is the clavicula;
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sbrkncla.gif
but then fractured, doh.

& I think you meant the atria & ventricles.

JoY
08-13-2005, 08:35 AM
I suck for making this some kind of medical conversation. officially I'm not even studying medicine anymore, untill I find myself a way back in. jaysus. like I said; I'm making myself look like a total tool.

Jesus
08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Let's just call it the collarbone...

JoY
08-13-2005, 08:44 AM
oh right! let's do that. ;p

Evil-Dead
08-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Rick Ta Life, singer of the band 25 Ta Life

http://www.institutionalized.net/Images/rick.jpg

Mota Boy
08-13-2005, 10:53 AM
this is the clavicula
[pictura de clavicula fracturada]
but then fractured.
Awesome body mod!

Tizzalicious
08-13-2005, 10:56 AM
just imagine what happens when I quit medicine. then I will sound like a complete jerk, when it comes to body-part-talk, because I honestly don't know a lot of regular names. like "clavicula".. oh no, wait. I do know that one. that's just the keybone, or at least, that's what it's called in Dutch.

Haha, keybone <3

Tizzalicious
08-13-2005, 10:57 AM
oh right! let's do that. ;p

It said so one the picture...

Rag Doll
08-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Samantha, i never knew! sounds beautiful though. =)

You didn't? hehe. you do now! =p. And it is. Maybe I can get a picture of it sometime. We'll see. She's annoying with that.

that does sound extremely sweet. & you know, butterflies are CUTE. <3 =D

Yeah, we're getting matching butterfly tattoos on our backs actually. =)

Sunny
08-13-2005, 10:52 PM
speaking of butterflies, i saw a girl with a bunch of blue-ish butterflies on her shoulderblade... some bigger, some smaller... it was soo cute and realistic looking.

on an unrelated note, i want the same fake tattoo drew barrymore has in poison ivy. :z

Nina
08-14-2005, 01:38 AM
I can't hear the words "hip bone" without hearing "the thigh bone's connected to the.."

fuck, thats SO awesome. memories!

JoY
08-14-2005, 02:54 AM
It said so one the picture...
oh right. *hides haircolour* I knew that.

Mags; I've seen someone with a collection of butterflies on the shoulder too. like they were just flying around there, or taking a rest.. it was fucking beautiful. really goddam awesome & pretty. & I hardly EVER say that about a tat. but some things are just so cute & pretties.<3 *sigh*

Sin Studly
08-14-2005, 07:15 AM
I have quite a lot of plans. I haven't quite decided on ear piercings yet, but I think I want an industrial in one ear, a large pirate gold ring in the earlobe of the other, and a stud ladder along the curly bit. And maybe a tragus stud.

I also want to get vertical slave bars put in underneath my horizontal nipple piercings, a faggy gay fake-jewel style navel piercing, a tongue ladder, as many Assyrian bars as I can fit, and two or three eyebrow bars (just to hide a scar). I also want an upper fulcrum piercing, just under the glans, a lower fulcrum hood piercing going into a scrotal ladder and ending in a guiche piercing.

As for tattoos, I want a full back piece of a celtic cross, with background celtic patterns that wrap around to form an upper chest piece and full sleeves, up to the chin and down to the knuckles. On my biceps I want spaces to write "SA NGUINEM BIBIMUS" and "CORPUS EDIMUS", as well as room for every person whose touched my life in a meaningful and irreversable way to hand-needle their name. Over my heart I want the Iron Cross. And I want a swastika done in the back of my head, where I can grow hair to hide it so I won't be assaulted on the streets constantly.

I also want to get a branding in my left buttock that states "100% AUSTRALIAN BEEF", with a curved-cornered border going around it.

I don't think that's going "too far".

JoY
08-14-2005, 07:18 AM
oh god please no.. *passes out*

the_GoDdEsS
08-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I want a full back piece of a celtic cross, with background celtic patterns that wrap around to form an upper chest piece and full sleeves, up to the chin and down to the knuckles.

If you pick the right pattern, it's gonna be too sexy.

Sin Studly
08-14-2005, 07:22 AM
oh god please no.. *passes out*

Too sexy for you?

ThrashedThrasher
08-14-2005, 05:58 PM
TT, my guess is you'll be sorry when you reach, say, about 30 years of age.
As much is I hate to say it, and it really shouldn't matter, people are judged by things like that when job hunting. I've seen it happen to several people.

30? Mm I would doubt it considering my mom is 33 and my dad is 37 and they got their first tattoos when they were 16 and they don't regret them at all.

To add onto my comment about the small and simple thing, I find tattoos to only be worth it if they're big enough to add into (for example what I want on my back) I think small tats are tacky and I hate the simplicity shit. I of course know my tats will have meaning to me but the one on my back is something I'd like to show off for the mere fact of who is drawing the goddamn thing out for me. The only simple-ish tattoo i'm going to get is the tribal logo on my legs and even then they're going to be shaded in with either orange or red possibly taking out my idea of the Dope guys and having Native tatted on one leg and Pride tatted on the other.

To correct whoever said i have 4 years to think, I have 3. And I am very intent on going to school to do what I said I would fucking do. At least I know what I want to do and have a plan unlike most fuckheads my age and even if I don't end up in mechanics I'll more then likely end up a piercer myself.

ThrashedThrasher
08-14-2005, 06:00 PM

I don't see why that would bother one either..my mom has my name and my brother's name on the back of her shoulder encircling a unicorn...

sKratch
08-14-2005, 06:39 PM
It is indeed scathingly ironic how elitist you are being about tattoos.

Rag Doll
08-14-2005, 06:42 PM
30? Mm I would doubt it considering my mom is 33 and my dad is 37 and they got their first tattoos when they were 16 and they don't regret them at all.

But, you're not your parents. I mean, you could get sick of them, since you plan on getting so many so young. I got my first at 16, but didn't get my next til I was almost 19. And I don't know when I'll be able to afford my next one. If you get them all so young...ehhhh. people change. you know?

I think small tats are tacky and I hate the simplicity shit.

I totally disagree. My best friend has a small (size of a pen cap), black, flower & dot design on the top of her foot....and it's beautiful. It's very tasteful & attractive. And it looks incredibly sexy with a pair of heels. Not tacky at all.

Sinister
08-14-2005, 07:00 PM
( very long post)

dude. do what the hell you wanna do as long as its not illegal. thats the only way to enjoy life !