PDA

View Full Version : Translating...

the_GoDdEsS
08-12-2005, 12:34 PM
...all day long makes me go braindead. Up to the point where I'm likely to hit my head against the keyboard and sleep, then go out for a smoko, inhale the night for a while, then come back and get lost in all those papers of official German, contracts, enactments, rent, leasings, official letters and all kinds of Austrian bureaucracy crap. What frustrates me the most is when I completely understand the German but can't find the right equivalents to express the same thing in my own language. Then again, doing this for a long time would make me stinking rich.

8:30 pm, four more pages to go. Now, somebody give me t3h sects.

RXP
08-12-2005, 12:35 PM
*gives*

Yep, working sucks. Just try and think of the dollar. That's what gets me by.

Tizzalicious
08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
I know exactly how you feel. Translating is a pain the teh butt. I often ask myself why I chose to study this. I never know how to put things in the target language even though I know I know exactly what it means, and it frustrates the shit out of me. And I end up checking the most simple things in my dictionary because I start doubting everything.

Good luck! Money is nize.

Oh, and heres some:

*sex*

the_GoDdEsS
08-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Euros, I want euros, damnit!

Duracell
08-12-2005, 12:37 PM
ahahahahhahahahha

have fun! :D

the_GoDdEsS
08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Tizz, that's exactly it! I'm extremely happy I did not study to become a translator. I would have fucking died because I get easily irritated and have zero patience. And I soooo wanted to become a translator when I was 18. Until I actually took some translating courses and found out it's not my thing. But hey, I can still do most of it without being a certified translator. Maybe as a part-time kinda thing. For teh moneys. =P

the_GoDdEsS
08-12-2005, 12:43 PM
ahahahahhahahahha

have fun! :D

You know some dictionaries are so heavy that you can like, hit people in the head with them and make them unconcious? Beware, I'm known for throwing books.

Tizzalicious
08-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Tizz, that's exactly it! I'm extremely happy I did not study to become a translator. I would have fucking died because I get easily irritated and have zero patience. And I soooo wanted to become a translator when I was 18. Until I actually took some translating courses and found out it's not my thing. But hey, I can still do most of it without being a certified translator. Maybe as a part-time kinda thing. For teh moneys. =P

I knooow, I thought: I love English, and I don't wanna teach (plus I can't teach because of the migraines), and I can translate in my own time, so it's perfect for me, but I didn't realise it'd be so damn hard!! It sounds so much easier than it is. But I can't give up, need to finish some sort of education at some point. And this IS perfect for me, I guess I'll learn someday, I'm only in my first year, so I can't expect to be perfect I guess.

And yes, doing it as a part-time kinda thing is smart!!

Duracell
08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
You know some dictionaries are so heavy that you can like, hit people in the head with them and make them unconcious? Beware, I'm known for throwing books.

Sweet, thats the only thing books are good for anyways (is throwing).

0r4ng3
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Sweet, thats the only thing books are good for anyways (is throwing).What, so you just forgot about fire?

Vera
08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
...all day long makes me go braindead. Up to the point where I'm likely to hit my head against the keyboard and sleep, then go out for a smoko, inhale the night for a while, then come back and get lost in all those papers of official German, contracts, enactments, rent, leasings, official letters and all kinds of Austrian bureaucracy crap. What frustrates me the most is when I completely understand the German but can't find the right equivalents to express the same thing in my own language. Then again, doing this for a long time would make me stinking rich.

8:30 pm, four more pages to go. Now, somebody give me t3h sects.
Yeah, but how would you say that in Slovak and German?

*dodges Sim throwing books at me*

Duracell
08-12-2005, 12:51 PM
What, so you just forgot about fire?

Aw, damn it. You just proved how moronic I am. Son of a bitch, how could I forget about fire. Burning books is tons of fun.

the_GoDdEsS
08-12-2005, 12:52 PM
It sounds so much easier than it is.

Word. But it generally depends on what you're translating. Right now I do 2 pages from German to Slovak in 60 minutes and it's official language. Last year when I was translating instructions for a summer camp I did several pages in just under an hour and it was from German to English too. Easy stuff is tons of fun. Official stuff is crap but you get faster after you get familiar with the terminology.

Also, shut up, worthless fuckwits.

Tizzalicious
08-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Word. But it generally depends on what you're translating. Right now I do 2 pages from German to Slovak in 60 minutes and it's official language. Last year when I was translating instructions for a summer camp I did several pages in just under an hour and it was from German to English too. Easy stuff is tons of fun. Official stuff is crap but you get faster after you get familiar with the terminology.

Also, shut up, worthless fuckwits.

I have to do a lot of different things now, so I guess that's why I'm slow now. Like...little bits of texts about various subjects. The other day I had to translate a scientific text. Now THAT was hard.

Thucydides
08-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Translating all day long makes me go braindead.

Weird...I rather enjoy 'translating all day' :D

Dirty Bertie
08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
I don't think that translating is as glam as you might think it to be.

Imagine translating boring banking code document or government policy manuals.... yawnnn. But that is the reality of the job. The company that I worked with during my UNI break a few summers back used translators for that shit all the time. :(

Mota Boy
08-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't know what it is about it, but I've never encountered a more mentally exhausting activity than thinking/speaking/living in another tongue, and I'm sure the stilted language of official documents just compounds the problem. Best of luck with everything.

Now, somebody give me t3h sects.
...I fucking wish.

JohnnyNemesis
08-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Weird...I rather enjoy 'translating all day' :D

Yeah, but you're actually translating interesting stuff, not boring as hell official documents. *shudders*

I'll say a prayer for your brain, Simma!

wheelchairman
08-12-2005, 09:53 PM
My experience with Business French is enough to make me feel your pain deep into my soul. My experience after hours of translating into some evil language, is that irish coffee is nice.

the_GoDdEsS
08-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah, but you're actually translating interesting stuff, not boring as hell official documents. *shudders*

That's very, very true.

Oh and thinking in another language is not really that exhausting after you get completely used to it.

Hrm, Irish coffee?

Thanks everyone! =)

JoY
08-13-2005, 03:06 AM
My experience with Business French is enough to make me feel your pain deep into my soul. My experience after hours of translating into some evil language, is that irish coffee is nice.
rarr rarr, I agree. I so agree.

ease your painful brain with something nice, Simmie. you deserve it.

*seckts*