PDA

View Full Version : Who's better...Ron or Atom?

Gotta_Get_Away
08-12-2005, 12:23 PM
This is a tough one cos their both good for different reasons. Lets look at pros and cons for each:

Ron Welty

Pros -

1. Has that difinative Offspring style
2. Can drum incredibly fast
3. Looks good in the band

Cons -

1. His earlier drumming (Self-Titled and Ignition) is just plain AWFUL....out of time, rubbish solos etc
2. His later drumming is incredibly simple

Atom Willard

Pros -

1. Has good stage presense
2. Keeps good time
3. Can do awsome solos (check out 'Long Way Home')

Cons -

1. Doesn't quite fit the Offspring style we all know and love
2. His drum kit looks naff on stage compared to Ron's

Hmmmm..........any thoughts?

dexterisMYman
08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Atom is way better then Ron. I've always liked Atom since i first heard him in RFTC. and so what if he doesnt fit the 'offspring style' hes a good drummer.

Nirushika6789
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Atom is way better then Ron. I've always liked Atom since i first heard him in RFTC. and so what if he doesnt fit the 'offspring style' hes a good drummer.
yea and i think atom does fit it.....he ROCKS..(not as much asnoodles but still)

Revolver-2005?
08-12-2005, 12:37 PM

Im pretty sure Josh Freese did Long Way Home

i prefer atom, hes got more energy

offspring_freak_3
08-12-2005, 12:54 PM
ron has much experience with the offspring songs and atom still need learn some of them. but i prefer atom, he have more presence in the stage

dain84
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM

But Atom does it live and he does it perfect.

Amazed
08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Atom is cooler than Ron.. I think Ron was boring.

dexterisMYman
08-12-2005, 01:21 PM
atom rocks out. hes so into it. hes always been like that. when i first saw him a few yrs ago w/ RFTC he was good. then i found out how young he was. hes so energetic. and one thing that i find cool. is that hes sooo much happier then ron to be in the offspring. if anything he DESERVES to be in the offspring

Tijs
08-12-2005, 01:43 PM
If anyone should replaced Ron, I'm glad it's Atom. He's a fucking awesome.
And about them drum-parts, I'm pretty sure Dexter writes the drum parts, I read that in an interview once. I think Noodles said it.

forever_and_a_day
08-12-2005, 01:47 PM
bare in mind that atom hasnt drummer on an album yet, and you carnt forget that ron did drum on 6 of thier albums and was in the band before they got famous, say what you want about atoms stage presence and engergy, i think a big part of the offspring has been taking away by ron leaving, for me the offspring are dexter, greg and noodles, with atom as a session drummer

Nrk
08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
This is a tough one cos their both good for different reasons. Lets look at pros and cons for each:

Ron Welty

Pros -

Cons -

1. His earlier drumming (Self-Titled and Ignition) is just plain AWFUL....out of time, rubbish solos etc

Atom Willard

Pros -

2. Keeps good time

Cons -

Ron doesn't drum fast at all. Look at the summersonic 2002 video where Dexter has blue hair, he has a lot of trouble keeping that rythym up.

I thought ron was cool, but i think atom has more charisma as a drummer. Both good drummers, but different.

grunge
08-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm repeat. Atom is a very good drummer but Ron is more better for Offspring.

P.S. Yes, I know my english suck

offspringis the best band
08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
your enmglish is peorfect my frien d

grunge
08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Fuck, I had a mistake. Ron [was] more better for offspring

China Boy
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't like Atom's hairstyle though.

Mentally_Challenged
08-12-2005, 03:38 PM
You don't?! =P

Well...I definatley think Atom fits in with the band. And he puts a lot more energy into his music - Check out the GH DVD, esspecially the Long Way Home Solo. Mmmhmm. Ron was good, but I have to say I prefer Atom. =)

jackass
08-12-2005, 03:51 PM
atom rocks out. hes so into it. hes always been like that. when i first saw him a few yrs ago w/ RFTC he was good. then i found out how young he was. hes so energetic. and one thing that i find cool. is that hes sooo much happier then ron to be in the offspring. if anything he DESERVES to be in the offspring

Wow, good points. Atom does seem to be the better choice.

bd007h
08-12-2005, 03:56 PM
I prefer Atom. just watch a video of him playing a song with the offspring, and a video of Ron playing the same song with the offspring. Atom is FAR more into it.

Hypodermic_89
08-12-2005, 04:08 PM
i prefer Ron..

Pilau
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Ron Welty

Pros -

Cons -

You are a fucking idiot!

dain84
08-12-2005, 05:12 PM
You are a fucking idiot!
Actually he made great points. The only truly great drumming on Ignition was Session.

HeadAroundU
08-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Fuck you all bitches!

RON WELTY FOREVER bitches!

willtodeath
08-12-2005, 07:05 PM
The man rocked live...Ron was a cool drummer live, Josh Freese rocked on Splinter...and Atom is more or less on his first big tour with the band...so, maybe this post is slightly pre-mature.
________
Hemp (http://marijuanahemp.com)

neocon58
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
For fucks sake people. Ron has left. He's not coming back. Get the fuck over it. Atom is the new drummer. If you don't like it, stop listening to them.

Are you fucking joking?

Are you fucking joking?

HeadAroundU
08-12-2005, 07:12 PM
For fucks sake people. Ron has left. He's not coming back. Get the fuck over it. Atom is the new drummer. If you don't like it, stop listening to them.

Are you fucking joking?

Are you fucking joking?
You are fucking joke bitchhc :cool:

Kitten
08-12-2005, 07:20 PM
May I point out there is already a topic about this floating around? Use the search function, it doesn't bite.
Also whoever said that Atom's kit is worse han Ron's, you are a fuckwit who has no idea about drumkit in general. It's not how pretty it is, but how good, and Atom's is much better.

Drummerguy123
08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Actually he made great points. The only truly great drumming on Ignition was Session.

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT HYPODERMIC, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN, WE ARE ONE L.A.P.D! THOSE ARE AWESOME DRUMBEATS!!!!!

bd007h
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Dave Grohl shits on both of them, enough said.

Drummerguy123
08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Neil Peart, Travis Barker and Carmine Appice shit all over Dave Grohl, so shut up about him already. :mad:

bd007h
08-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Dave Grohl PWNS Travis Barker by a long shot. listen to Dave's drumming for Probot and Queens Of The Stone Age.

Drummerguy123
08-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Notice the lack of comments for Neil Peart and Carmine Appice... hmmmmm.......

bd007h
08-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Neil Peart is a great drummer, don't know who the other one is, but seriously, listen to Probot, and Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf.

Drummerguy123
08-12-2005, 11:40 PM
I can guarantee you Carmine Appice and Neil Peart would kick Dave Grohl's ass any day. Actually, both of them have their own line of Sabian cymbals with their names on them. Dave Grohl doesn't......

bd007h
08-12-2005, 11:42 PM
I said it before, and say it again. listen to Probot and QOTSA - Songs For The Deaf. Don't say anything else about it until you've heard them. Also, watch videos of Dave playing drums.

Drummerguy123
08-12-2005, 11:54 PM
I don't normally listen to QOTSA, but if I come across it, I'll give it a listen.

bd007h
08-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Songs For The Deaf is a great album, one of the best of 2002.

neocon58
08-13-2005, 12:32 AM
You are fucking joke bitchhc :cool:

Wow, you certainly put me in my place.

How the fuck did this turn into a 'best drummer ever' thread?

Dave Grohl PWNS Travis Barker by a long shot. listen to Dave's drumming for Probot and Queens Of The Stone Age.

nobody cares.

Gotta_Get_Away
08-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Wow, there certainly are a lot of retards on this site!
I was hoping for a grown-up debate on this, but in the end i get called a fucking idiot.

I actually happen to know what im talking about. I play the drums, and have done for about 9 years.
FACT - Ron's druming on the early albums is poo. When he does a fill, you can tell that he doesn't REALLY know what he's doing, he's just kinda making it up as he goes along. Listen to 'I'll Be Waiting' and you'll know what i mean.

His drumming got considerably tighter as the Offspring went on, but it also got INCREDIBLY simple. Listen to the album 'Conspiracy of One' and you'll hear the same beats and fills pretty much through out the entire CD.

You guys need to chill out. I didn't come on here to cuss the Offspring, why would i do that? I love them, they are my favourite band. I'm just suprised that they kept such an average drummer for so long.

Anyway, this is of course just my opinion.

Laters.

YODAvid
08-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Hell I prefer Atom.

I didnt like him at first tho, but now... AWESOME DRUMMER...

BUT: Ron does play fast, I dont think he has problems keeping the rhythm up n stuff. Neither does Atom.

And goddamn someone said he didnt like Atom's set... Its fuckin awesome. I am gonna buy me one of those, rather small ones: Just one 2 toms (bottom n high) one ride, n two crash symbals, plus the basic stuff of course.

WHat i dont like is Atom's thing... That holding-his-stick-straight-up-in-the-air-during-a-drum-pause. He does that on both the videos n live way too often.

Forgot to say this. I have been playing the drums and all the percussion stuff for 12 years now.... btw listen to old records like MEANING OF LIFE. Ron is plyaaing the same beat all over again. Listen carefully to the coombination of the bassdrum and snare and hihat. doom chuck, doom doom chuck, doom chuck, doom chuck. that beat all over again. i think it even sounds fake, kinda like mixed on a computer. just put it in there and play it 1000 times.

One more thing. Sum 41's drummer is fucking awesome as hell too. I seen em live and he strikes every single beat out, just like it sounds like on CD.

willtodeath
08-13-2005, 08:52 AM
i'll be waiting.....hehehehe.hehehehhehe.hehehhehe
I'v never noticed that, in the millions of times iv heard that song...hehehe
________
SPICE WEED (http://syntheticweed.org)

Sam
08-13-2005, 01:13 PM
If anyone should replaced Ron, I'm glad it's Atom. He's a fucking awesome.
And about them drum-parts, I'm pretty sure Dexter writes the drum parts, I read that in an interview once. I think Noodles said it.

Agreed...........

smileemptysoul44
08-13-2005, 01:14 PM
there the same

~*hit_that*~
08-13-2005, 01:15 PM
yea and i think atom does fit it.....he ROCKS..(not as much asnoodles but still)

hahahahahaha, here we go again!!! LOL

just kiddin there (",)

OFFSPR1NGDUDE3
08-13-2005, 05:06 PM

josh freese did long way home as well as all the drumming on splinter and i think can't repeat too, but atom does the long way home drum solo perfectly when they play live

Offspring-Fanatic
08-13-2005, 05:11 PM

yeah, if so, atom can still do it...so basically he did do the long way home solo

leo3375
08-13-2005, 09:28 PM
This has been done to death, but here's my two cents:

Ron is very restrained in his playing. He could go crazy if he wanted to but preferred to show some control over his kit. Offstage he's very shy, moreso than Greg.

Atom is insane with his drumming. He just lets loose and brings a unique energy to the band. He is very outgoing and nice to the fans. Hell, he'll even go out and find the fans before or after a show.

Because I've met them both, I would have to say I prefer Atom because he's much nicer than Ron. That isn't to say Ron's a jerk (he's nice but again, really shy), but Atom is perhaps the most outgoing of the Offspring guys.

Zack
08-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! he was like the first drummer of the offspring before they were even great! He was the first guy! He rocked i think it sucked that he's out!

hughesyboy
08-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Yeah I'd say Atom, he just seems to put so much effort in2 his drumming, very energetic, and has a great stage presence. Seeing Ron in live performances he just looked too bored and didnt seem to really "get into" his drumming.
Atom just keeps pounding away, headbanging, and has a much better stage presence.
Atom is THE MAN!!

neocon58
08-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! he was like the first drummer of the offspring before they were even great! He was the first guy! He rocked i think it sucked that he's out!

He was not the first offspring drummer.

Which begs the question, why don't you twats make James Lijia vs Ron Welty Topics?

Autonomist
08-14-2005, 05:53 AM
Atom > Dave Grohl > Ron

Don't know why I included Grohl, but you all know it's true.

theoffspringfuc?inrocks
08-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I seen atom live hes alot better he plays really fast and really gets n 2 it.

Gayman
08-14-2005, 04:10 PM
ok. you guys can't fight about this! they both have their own unique playing style. Especially when Atom hasn't done a album yet you can't say ANYTHING about whos the better drummer. And like someone said Dexter told Ron everything what to do! And if he put Atom under his whip...the drums are going to sound almost the same that Rons did. Splinters drumming sound diffirent cause Dexter didn't tell Josh everything what to do.
Oh, one more thing. Rons drumming on S/T is great! It isnt poo! If you think it sound "poo", then you are a "poo" drummer...
and Ron didn't have any troubles to keep the fast beat. If you mean his style(little leaned forward and has a difficult position)it's just his thing.
That's all thank you

YODAvid
08-14-2005, 04:14 PM
I agree with everything you just said.

btw. what kinda set is Atom playing on right now? i might buy the exact same one, that redish, white(?) one.

Gotta_Get_Away
08-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey GayMan.....im really quite suprised. You have a pic of a drum kit next to your name, so i take it you play drums. Yet you still think Ron's drumming on Self-Tilted is good? C'mon dude, surely if you play the drums you should recognize that his drumming on the early stuff is shite. Compare it to any other record and you'll hear a BIG difference in the qaulity and execution.
....and you reckon i'm a 'poo' drummer?, well, you'll be pleased to know that i can play the 'Long Way Home' solo....can you do that? huh? bitch?

YODAvid
08-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Hell guys, shut the hell up.

First of all. THE LONG WAY HOME SOLO IS NOT DIFIICULT. Dang as I said ive been playing the drums for 12 year. Its just friggin 16th notes over teo measures. Thats not hard. Maybe the tempo wears some drummers out, but all in all its not hard to play at all.

Alright i then I agree with you gga, GayMan is wrong with his opnion ST's drumming is good. It sucks. But i thought maybe its the electronic devices n stuff... THose werent as good as nowadays. Today every part, no matter if its the guitar, vocals or the drums are being enhanced on a computer...

Josh Freese
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Does Atom play DW drums?

Gayman
08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey GayMan.....im really quite suprised. You have a pic of a drum kit next to your name, so i take it you play drums. Yet you still think Ron's drumming on Self-Tilted is good? C'mon dude, surely if you play the drums you should recognize that his drumming on the early stuff is shite. Compare it to any other record and you'll hear a BIG difference in the qaulity and execution.
....and you reckon i'm a 'poo' drummer?, well, you'll be pleased to know that i can play the 'Long Way Home' solo....can you do that? huh? bitch?
You are right that the quality is bad in the S/T but it's because it's very old stuff and wasn't made with much money. And his execution is better now but it may sound poor because the lack of money.But I think that the drum beats and other stuff he does is harder to play than the new stuff. Listen them live and Ron has difficulties in the older ones...maybe cause he haven't played them much, but still. In my opinion the older stuff is harder to play than the new stuff. The new is too simple I think.
And as a matter a fact I can play the solo, I think it's quite simple, it may look hard on the dvd but like I said all the new stuff is easy.
And I don't wan't anymore enemies more than I have in these forums.
Wanna make peace?

Gotta_Get_Away
08-15-2005, 01:25 PM
GayMan -

Yeah lets make pease. There's no point getting all silly just because we have a difference in opinion.
And actually, you make a very good point. Ron's early drumming is actually a lot more complicated than his new stuff....there's no way you'd find 'Tehran' style drumming on an album like 'Americana'!
I think i was probably talking more about his executuon and sound. Everthing just sounds very 'sloppy' and in my opinion the kit he used on that album sounded dreadful, sounds like the sort of kit a guy would have if he's only been playing a few weeks!.....terribly out of tune at times.

Basically, to sum Ron up -
He's early stuff it pretty good, but because it was so early the kit didnt sound too great and the execution wasnt all that good either, but if he didnt have those problems it would sound great.
As the band went on, his drumming got much tighter, which could be looked as both a good and bad thing. Good, because it shows he has solidarity....Bad, because he was probably trying so hard to keep this solidarity that he couldnt really continue the stuff he was capable of doing on Self-Titled. Plus i think it was pretty obvious that as time went on, Ron was less into it, so by 'Conspriacy of One' he probably just couldnt give a rats ass anymore lol.

Anyway, thats my opinion.
Look forward to hearing from you dude.

dexterisMYman
08-15-2005, 01:29 PM
^you cant spell peace?

Homer
08-15-2005, 01:34 PM
ok, I'm a goddamn drummer, a good one I might add, and I think Ron is the better drummer (no brainer).

We haven't heard Atom's drumming yet! We can't make a comparison.

The drumming is a masterpiece on S/T! I even find it harder and better than any of Metallica's drumming. It may have shitty quality (because they didn't have all of these computers or anything), but that's some of the best damn drumming I've heard.

The Long Way Home drum 'solo' isn't even a solo, in fact, it's a filler! Do you know what a filler is? Well I do.

Seriously, when someone says that the drumming's bad because of the quality, I want to go on a rampage and kill everythning in my sight.

EDIT: Also James Ilidja(?) did some of the drumming on S/T (like Tehran and Blackball)

bd007h
08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Atom > Dave Grohl > Ron

Don't know why I included Grohl, but you all know it's true.

wrong.

Grohl > Ron and Atom

Daves drumming for Nirvana on the albums was nothing out of the ordinary.
Watch videos of Grohl playing drums live for any of the bands he's played for, or listen to QOTSA - Songs For The Deaf or Probot. Atom's a great drummer and I've seen him play live, but I still think Dave Grohl is better.

Gayman
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
GayMan -

Yeah lets make pease. There's no point getting all silly just because we have a difference in opinion.
And actually, you make a very good point. Ron's early drumming is actually a lot more complicated than his new stuff....there's no way you'd find 'Tehran' style drumming on an album like 'Americana'!
I think i was probably talking more about his executuon and sound. Everthing just sounds very 'sloppy' and in my opinion the kit he used on that album sounded dreadful, sounds like the sort of kit a guy would have if he's only been playing a few weeks!.....terribly out of tune at times.

Basically, to sum Ron up -
He's early stuff it pretty good, but because it was so early the kit didnt sound too great and the execution wasnt all that good either, but if he didnt have those problems it would sound great.
As the band went on, his drumming got much tighter, which could be looked as both a good and bad thing. Good, because it shows he has solidarity....Bad, because he was probably trying so hard to keep this solidarity that he couldnt really continue the stuff he was capable of doing on Self-Titled. Plus i think it was pretty obvious that as time went on, Ron was less into it, so by 'Conspriacy of One' he probably just couldnt give a rats ass anymore lol.

Anyway, thats my opinion.
Look forward to hearing from you dude.
Good that we got on the same page with this! I'm glad. Yeah, the sound is pretty awful at times but the drumming is great! And I think Dexter told Ron what to do more and more to the end and that's why CO1 isn't very complicated drumwise, cause Dexter wanted it that way.
But nice that we are "friend" now!

grunge
08-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Ron is the best drummer for Offspring

forever_and_a_day
08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
i read an interview ages and ages ago, and i think in eaither special delivery or living in choas they used a drum machine for the whole song

im not a drummer, but i think the drumming in thier self titled album is good and fits in with the shole feel of the album, the production is muddled, guitar sound isnt great BUT THATS WHAT MAKES THE ALBUM GOOD, four kids going into a studio to record thier first album on a limited budget and limited time, non of the members at the time could be classed as good musicians, but the album works and in my opinion is thier best.

on ignition every was refined abit more than first album, from drums to guitar

i think the drumming on american was good, however whn it came to conpsicy of one, thats when it got to a point when it was simple has fucked and lacked any real energy

sXe_AlternativeLife
08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Definitely Atom. Sorry to say but Ron seems like he's stiff on stage. Always seemed like He wasn't enjoying playing at all....

And Atom is so Fucking awesome live. Get's so into it. :cool:

Amazed
08-15-2005, 03:54 PM

Let's worship Neocon58!

Marco
09-30-2005, 11:50 PM
:confused: I THINK ATOM'S BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYWAY, WHERE'S RON WELTY NOW???

Anarhy
10-01-2005, 12:20 AM
I think, Ron and Atom rock, but i think Atom is better

Amelia
10-01-2005, 02:46 AM
Atom....no doubt about it!

.:SMASH:.
10-01-2005, 04:42 AM
i say atoms better coz ron seemed as if it was his job. ron didnt ever seem to crack a smile let alone get into it like atom does. i think atom doesnt fit the offspring but he can really play the drums with passion

nameless
10-01-2005, 05:22 AM

Ron Welty

Pros -

Cons -

Atom Willard

Pros -

2. Keeps good time

Cons -

are you saying ron couldnt keep time?! thats harsh! stage presense doesnt come into it in my opinion, theres no point looking cool or playing a kit that "fits the bill" if things arent working with the band. although atom can play the "solo" in long way home, anyone who took over from ron would have had to learn the solo as well!

i prefer ron, after seeing the offspring a few times with atom compared to when ron played id say you can definately tell theres a new drummer there!

Lithuanian Offspring
10-01-2005, 07:22 AM
I think Atom has certainly revitalized the band. I think he is way better then Ron in terms of stage presence and playing.

dalaksta
10-01-2005, 07:53 AM
who cares? everybody in the offspring is awsome

endlesst0m
10-01-2005, 08:11 AM
rons drumming in the first two albums was good, i play drums and i would definatly say this.
-he used the toms alot
-lots of ghost notes on the snare
-i can't find any fills that "don't fit" they all sound good to me...

just listen to the fill in "Session"...Thats the best drum fill in Offspring's music. i really don't like the combanation of drums that are hit in the "long way home" fill all that much.

Original prankstA
10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Search Freakin Button!!!!

T-6005
10-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Atom is much better, no doubt about it. And from what I remember, wasn't it James Lilja who did the Offspring's self-titled?

bd007h
10-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Atom Pwns Ron on all levels

bd007h
10-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Atom is much better, no doubt about it. And from what I remember, wasn't it James Lilja who did the Offspring's self-titled?

no it wasn't. He left before the recording of the self titled album.

ignition991
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
:confused: I THINK ATOM'S BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYWAY, WHERE'S RON WELTY NOW???

Ron Welty is in a band called "Steady Ground" they have a myspace and a few songs on it check it out if you like rons style

www.myspace.com/steadyground

Drummerguy123
04-04-2006, 11:08 PM

Ron Welty

Cons -

Okay, I just needed to plop in here for a second. Although S/T's drumming wasn't so clean, Ignition's drumming, IMO, was the best drumming any offspring album has eer seen. Some will argue that Splinter was better, but it was really just a few flashy fills and rolls. Don't get me wrong, Splinter's drumming is terrific, but the beats in Ignition are original, complicated, varying from song to song, and fun to listen to and learn if you are a drummer. Although some of the beats aren't too hard to pick up on, songs like Session, Hypodermic, We Are One, and Forever and a Day are pretty incredible.

Second, I don't know what you are talking about with his later drumming being rubbish. Co1 (Ron's last album) had his best drumming since Ignition. Come Out Swinging, Dammit, I Changed Again, Conspiracy of One, and others were really great. It was also his cleanest and most powerful album. His rolls were even, his fills were strong, and he stayed in time throughout every song.

rlplaymaker
04-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Bring In Josh Freese!!!!

Dex90
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
There shouldn't even be a discussion about this... atom is so much better in every way, style, skill and stage presence..

2. His drum kit looks naff on stage compared to Ron's orance county percussion drums (atom) are so much better than tama (ron), and they look so much cooler

offspring kid
04-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Atom does fit the offspring it's just that we haven't seen atom in so many videos as much as we have seen Ron ( not Live videos. Studio videos )
See CGMHAY video he totaly fits oh and cant repeat video too.

Atom = Drum G0D

Camilamazed
04-06-2006, 09:03 AM
I do wonder why you think you are experts to analize their skills.... :rolleyes:

Lightyears
04-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Okay here's an opinion simply from a music writing/band member point of view:

Ron was good on all the albums because his beat FIT. That's the main thing. He wasn't trying to take the song somewhere it didn't need to go. All of his drum beats followed the songs well and had just the right amount of accents. Not too little to be boring, and not too many to be distracting. He also made good use of playing on the off-beat for the catchy songs. Which is a typical 90s rock thing, but Ron was one of the first there back in 1994, making large use of it on Self Esteem.

Atom, looks good with the band live, I agree. But the only studio track I've heard of him (if it's even him on the recording) is Can't Repeat, if it is, then I believe he filled Ron's shoes well. He plays a perfect beat for the song and has enough flash to not be overbearing or boring. So in this instance, if you ask me he and Ron are even, because the know how to play well for the "Offspring" sound.

Josh Freece, I believe was amazing. He had some very good drum parts, his best being (imo) Lightning Rod from beginning to end. His drum track is perfect, decent flash, and perfectly tight.

All 3 of the drummers they have had have perfectly matched the sound and style that makes Offspring what it is. There's no real "who's better" arguement. The only arguement is actually a fact that Offspring have always had good, tight drummers that compliment there music and make it sound the best it can.

Nood!es
04-06-2006, 04:27 PM
And here we go again. Another Ron and Atom thread. Actually, the same one. But its been bumped.

ignition991
04-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Okay here's an opinion simply from a music writing/band member point of view:

Ron was good on all the albums because his beat FIT. That's the main thing. He wasn't trying to take the song somewhere it didn't need to go. All of his drum beats followed the songs well and had just the right amount of accents. Not too little to be boring, and not too many to be distracting. He also made good use of playing on the off-beat for the catchy songs. Which is a typical 90s rock thing, but Ron was one of the first there back in 1994, making large use of it on Self Esteem.

Atom, looks good with the band live, I agree. But the only studio track I've heard of him (if it's even him on the recording) is Can't Repeat, if it is, then I believe he filled Ron's shoes well. He plays a perfect beat for the song and has enough flash to not be overbearing or boring. So in this instance, if you ask me he and Ron are even, because the know how to play well for the "Offspring" sound.

Josh Freece, I believe was amazing. He had some very good drum parts, his best being (imo) Lightning Rod from beginning to end. His drum track is perfect, decent flash, and perfectly tight.

All 3 of the drummers they have had have perfectly matched the sound and style that makes Offspring what it is. There's no real "who's better" arguement. The only arguement is actually a fact that Offspring have always had good, tight drummers that compliment there music and make it sound the best it can.

i agree but i think it was josh freese on can't repeat im not sure

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Yeah, i think Atom fits in the band more than Ron... Atom seems so much more "Offspring" than Ron in my opinion. :)