PDA

View Full Version : I just realized something.

dain84
08-12-2005, 01:12 PM
If Dexter has a doctorate, doesn't that make him Dr. Holland? Or Dr. Dexter?

TheOffspringRule
08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
he only has a masters, he was workin on the doctorate when smash came out so he took a 'leave of absense' to go with the band for a bit

Amazed
08-12-2005, 01:17 PM
haha.. dr. dexter! makes me think of Dexter's Laboratory

Conspiracy of One
08-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Ha never did like that cartoon.......

offspring_freak_3
08-12-2005, 01:22 PM
haha.. dr. dexter! makes me think of Dexter's Laboratory

hahahaha :p

Amazed
08-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Ha never did like that cartoon.......

Why not? :eek: (sorry.. off topic)

Conspiracy of One
08-12-2005, 01:25 PM
cuz dexter's voice was annoying, and i was past my cartoon stage then

I don't know
08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
he should put in the booklets doctor holland: vocals, heheheh :D
no he shouldn't

Amazed
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
cuz dexter's voice was annoying, and i was past my cartoon stage then

haha.. I still like cartoons.

dexterisMYman
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
dr.bryan kieth holland. yeah cant wait till he gets his Ph.D. then he would be Dr.Bryan Kieth Holland Ph.D

Tijs
08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
If he only has his master, that would make him Drs. Holland then wouldn't it?

jackass
08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
If he only has his master, that would make him Drs. Holland then wouldn't it?

What does that stand for? "Drs." I mean.

Tijs
08-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure if it's the same in English, but here it means "Doctorandus". Meaning; someone who's studying to become a Doctor in something, but hasn't completed the study yet.

Edit: I googled it and only got Dutch websites, so it's probably a Dutch thing then.

Little_Miss_1565
08-12-2005, 03:45 PM
I think that is just a Dutch thing...Drs. in English is the abbreviation of the plural "doctors."

Dexter never completed his doctorate, so he is still just Mr. Holland, no Dr., no PhD.

dain84
08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I think that is just a Dutch thing...Drs. in English is the abbreviation of the plural "doctors."

Dexter never completed his doctorate, so he is still just Mr. Holland, no Dr., no PhD.
But I was listening to an interview of him and he said he has a doctorate!

Interviewer: I've heard you have a PHD.

Dexter: I was close to getting it when smash took off. But I don't have it.

Interviewer: so you're a dumb nerd!

Dexter: Well I do have a doctorate!

It was something along those lines.

Telekinesis
08-12-2005, 05:03 PM
My Mum has a Ph.D! I went to her graduation thingo. She got to wear one of those funny hats and robes. It was really boring though. But now she's a docter! She thanked me,my dad and our dog in her thesis! he he (sorry off topic,kinda)

Venom Symbiote
08-13-2005, 04:23 AM
Dain, if you're going to quote interviews, at least do it properly. That wasn't even close to what was said: it was the Triple M interview from Australia, talking to "Turbo" just around the Splinter launch. I remember the one, still have it on file somewhere.

And Telekinesis, you're mum's a doctor? Wow, obviously the intelligence gene wasn't passed on to you. Any siblings? Maybe they were fortunate to get it, leaving you writhing in the dust like a castrated chimp on speed.

dain84
08-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Dain, if you're going to quote interviews, at least do it properly. That wasn't even close to what was said: it was the Triple M interview from Australia, talking to "Turbo" just around the Splinter launch. I remember the one, still have it on file somewhere.

And Telekinesis, you're mum's a doctor? Wow, obviously the intelligence gene wasn't passed on to you. Any siblings? Maybe they were fortunate to get it, leaving you writhing in the dust like a castrated chimp on speed.
Actually, it was very close, not right on, but close. I just listened to it.

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2005, 03:38 PM
He stopped school less than a year before he got his PHD... molecular biology... Damn! That's too much school for me. 10 years and he hadn't finished yet. At least, i think it would be 10 years... maybe 11. Its not like he'd really need a fallback plan anymore. Though its still good to have one i suppose. Everyone knows Noodles'. Workin as Goofy at Disneylines. lol. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, click here (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=309298#post309298)

Venom Symbiote
08-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Dain, you were way-off. Stop acting so girly and admit it. "Take It Like A Man" and all that Ignition jazz. ;)

And isn't it "DisneyLAND"? What the arse-nugget is "Disneylines", for all us foreigners?

Zack
08-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Thats true!

the_GoDdEsS
08-14-2005, 01:31 AM
He stopped school less than a year before he got his PHD... molecular biology... Damn! That's too much school for me. 10 years and he hadn't finished yet. At least, i think it would be 10 years... maybe 11. Its not like he'd really need a fallback plan anymore. Though its still good to have one i suppose. Everyone knows Noodles'. Workin as Goofy at Disneylines. lol. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, click here (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=309298#post309298)

Getting a doctorate is not really much about actually going to school. It's more like a scientific research type of thing. At least here in Europe. And it's much more flexible when it comes to time.

Little_Miss_1565
08-14-2005, 03:20 AM
But I was listening to an interview of him and he said he has a doctorate!

Interviewer: I've heard you have a PHD.

Dexter: I was close to getting it when smash took off. But I don't have it.

Interviewer: so you're a dumb nerd!

Dexter: Well I do have a doctorate!

It was something along those lines.

That doesn't even make any sense. A PhD and a doctorate are the same thing. Why would he say he didn't finish it but then has it? He has a masters' degree if I remember correctly, which is not the same as a doctorate.

lost_nvrfound
08-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Dain, you were way-off. Stop acting so girly and admit it. "Take It Like A Man" and all that Ignition jazz. ;)

And isn't it "DisneyLAND"? What the arse-nugget is "Disneylines", for all us foreigners?
it is... but that is just what he referred to it as

Telekinesis
08-16-2005, 01:07 AM

Yeah my mum's a doctor, not a medical doctor, she did her thesis on politics or something, and also I'm an only child. But seriously I don't know why you people think I'm so stupid! I'm actually pretty smart! Today my English teacher read out a poem I wrote to the class and everyone cheered for me! everyone one really liked it. In fact the chick who sits next to me said "why did you use so many big words in your poem?" I use pretty complicated words, well complicated for their inferior minds, I had words like 'yearn' and 'resent' in it. But my english teacher really liked it, I got an A! yipee!

Dirty Bertie
08-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Yeah my mum's a doctor, not a medical doctor, she did her thesis on politics or something, and also I'm an only child. But seriously I don't know why you people think I'm so stupid! I'm actually pretty smart! Today my English teacher read out a poem I wrote to the class and everyone cheered for me! everyone one really liked it. In fact the chick who sits next to me said "why did you use so many big words in your poem?" I use pretty complicated words, well complicated for their inferior minds, I had words like 'yearn' and 'resent' in it. But my english teacher really liked it, I got an A! yipee!

She's lieing. I'm in her class at school and we all groaned "urrrgghhh" when she'd finished cos her poem sucked eggs.

Telekinesis
08-16-2005, 01:29 AM
She's lieing. I'm in her class at school and we all groaned "urrrgghhh" when she'd finished cos her poem sucked eggs.

I'm from Melbourne you bloody drongo. Your near London, you are not in my class, you are stupid.

Dirty Bertie
08-16-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm from Melbourne you bloody drongo. Your near London, you are not in my class, you are stupid.

Why dont you post your poem here to give us all a good laugh???

Telekinesis
08-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Why dont you post your poem here to give us all a good laugh???

OK I will, note that this poem is not about me I wrote it from the point of veiw of the character in the book we had to read "Chinese Cinderella"

Do you see me? Here I am
I am no-one I truly am
They don't see me, they don't care
They don't see me standing there
They resent me, yes they do
I am just a piece of garbage to you
My aunt says I'm special, she does love me
How come my Mummy and Daddy don't hug me?
I love my school, I love to learn
for my parents acceptance I yearn
My friends don't know it, no they don't
will my step-mother beat me? I hope she won't
She normally does, she might today
For going to my friends 10th birthday
I hate my life, I hate myself
Through my house I creep with stealth
I see my step-mum in my room
I came home to early that afternoon
She is angry I can see
This is when she questions me
She is crazy, she's insane
Ow! she slapped me, I'm in pain
I know now not to be a sneak
I am useless I am weak
Nothing good from me will come
Who am I? I am no-one

yes that is my beautiful poem and at the bottom my teacher wrote "Excellent Francesca 10/10"

See I am smart :cool:

by the way, anyone read the book before? the poem makes more sense if you've read the book

platinumpt
08-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Do you see me? Here I am
I am no-one I truly am
They don't see me, they don't care
They don't see me standing there
They resent me, yes they do
I am just a piece of garbage to you
My aunt says I'm special, she does love me
How come my Mummy and Daddy don't hug me?
I love my school, I love to learn
for my parents acceptance I yearn
My friends don't know it, no they don't
will my step-mother beat me? I hope she won't
She normally does, she might today
For going to my friends 10th birthday
I hate my life, I hate myself
Through my house I creep with stealth
I see my step-mum in my room
I came home to early that afternoon
She is angry I can see
This is when she questions me
She is crazy, she's insane
Ow! she slapped me, I'm in pain
I know now not to be a sneak
I am useless I am weak
Nothing good from me will come
Who am I? I am no-one
Not bad at all, indeed! And you're 13, or something, right? That's really not bad at all for your age. I salute you :p *clap clap*

By the way, you don't need to prove anyone you're smart, I think...

Telekinesis
08-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Not bad at all, indeed! And you're 13, or something, right? That's really not bad at all for your age. I salute you :p *clap clap*

By the way, you don't need to prove anyone you're smart, I think...

Awwww, thanks mate that's so sweet! :)

Venom Symbiote
08-16-2005, 04:11 AM
Wow, Telekinesis. "Yearn".

I'm in awe of your intelligence. Seriously. :eek:

Freakin' slut-hoe. You're dumber than my penis's tip and it's uncle's heat-rash.

Telekinesis
08-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Wow, Telekinesis. "Yearn".

I'm in awe of your intelligence. Seriously. :eek:

Freakin' slut-hoe. You're dumber than my penis's tip and it's uncle's heat-rash.

I never like Queenslanders.....

By the way it was the chick who sits next to me you thought 'yearn' was a 'big word' I thought she was stupid. God she's a bitch

leavesonline
08-18-2005, 04:35 PM
To drag back to the original topic - you can have a doctorate without a PhD! A PhD is the full doctor of philosophy 3 year showing off thing, but theres also a philosophy doctorate (DPhil), which is a one-year research degree that can be taken instead of a masters, or continuing on from a masters degree :cool: So yeah, it is possible :p